Matchbox - Chinatown
713 H Street NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Chinatown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://matchboxchinatown.com/
- Phone: 2022894441
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Cliff Wharton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 7th and H Street
- Public Transit: Gallery Pl-Chinatown (Red, Green, Yellow);Metro Center (Red, Blue, Orange
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Many parking garages are available in area. We offer a discount rate for parking at the 9th and I street garage. It is located at the TechWorld building. Please bring your ticket to the restaurant for validation.
A word from Matchbox - Chinatown
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matchbox - Chinatown reviews from OpenTable diners
281 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (104)good for groups (101)neighborhood gem (97)fit for foodies (94)hot spot (85)kid-friendly (47)great for brunch (46)late-night find (41)vibrant bar scene (39)special occasion (34)great for outdoor dining (31)romantic (24)notable wine list (14)scenic view (6)Show More
- Yuck!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014I had the scallops. Skimpy, way overpriced for lunch, and the corn side that came with it was so unhealthy.
- ChinaTown DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014My date and I had a delightful time at Match Box. I kept hearing, over & over, from my date how beautiful all the food looked. We both shared the Trio appetizers and ordered drinks. For dinner my date had (shrimp & grits) and I ordered the (pan seared salmon w/zucchini & squash). The presentation of the food was immensely beautiful. The food looked and tasted absolutely amazing. Everything we were presented looked so beautiful and tasted so wonderful that we both decided to consume only half our meals in order to save room for dessert. We ordered the (triple sampler of "match box donuts, brownie w/vanilla ice cream and sherbet). A very delicious ending to a very delightful night. The atmosphere was both alive and very comforting.Special Features:
- Excellent overallHappynottocookDined on 10/19/2014Food was excellent and a nice variety. Waiter made it very enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good nightScotteDined on 10/15/2014we were seated immediately. greeted and served quickly. Food was tasty and the service was polite.Special Features:
- SuGarCDined on 10/14/2014Casual, quick, and fun. Very good service. Excellent pizza. Good beer selection. Desserts exceeded expectations. For the "more mature" crowd, be aware that there are multiple levels and there are stairs to negotiate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Caps game dinnermamawintDined on 10/14/2014we had only about 45 minutes before a Caps game. Service was great - got us in /out in time. We both had tuna salad ... it was great! Great pre-game spot. Be sure to make reservations!
- Love coming here!NicematindinerVIPDined on 10/13/2014Matchbox Chinatown is the best restaurant to go to for great lunches and incredibly attentive and accurate service. I have the pleasure of coming 1-2 times a month to take out special guests (clients) to enjoy the food and really have a chance to talk. Will keep coming and always know that it will be great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holiday BrunchRicoDined on 10/13/2014I met an old friend on a federal holiday Monday. The service was on point and very friendly. The food was delicious. I had the bloody mary burger which was perfectly medium and flavorful. I like all of the different rooms and levels of this restaurant. I highly recommend this place because it is consistent and just plain good. I will be there again soon!Special Features:
- Worth the WaitHG81Dined on 10/12/2014My husband and I have wanted to dine at Matchbox since we saw a piece on local pizza places on PBS. It's taken us over a year to follow through, but it was well worth the wait. We visited the Chinatown location and it was lovely. The wait staff were attentive and friendly, the atmosphere was lively, our drinks were great (good selection of beers on tap) and the pizza was wonderful. We appreciated that we could have a pizza split between two sets of toppings. The prosciutto and black mission fig was delicious. Considering that we ordered an appetizer, drinks, pizza, and dessert, our bill was a modest $75--but we also split a 10" pizza, rather than the larger one.Special Features:
- Great foodedmoniteDined on 10/11/2014Wonderful food and exceeded my expectations as to quality food. We had a new server so I wooldnt hold that against them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific spotDecantersVIPDined on 10/9/2014We ate here twice on a recent trip to D.C. and wish we would have snuck in at least one more meal. Hands down, the mussels were the best I've had anywhere...anywhere! We had to order some more bread ($2, ridiculous if you ask me) just to sop up the broth. Heavenly! We tried three different pizzas (one split) and they were all delicious. The real surprise was the wine. We're a big fan of Californian Jed Steele's wines and it turns out that Steele is enough of a Matchbox fan that he created the Matchbox Blend just for the restaurant. If you like reds, you won't be disappointed, especially for $8 a glass. We also tried the jalapeno-infused margarita and it was fantastic. We now want a Matchbox here in Houston, near our house, please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better than expectedFStreetFoodieVIPDined on 10/9/2014I've always walked by Matchbox and marveled at the fact that it always seemed packed. So stopped in the other day for a late lunch to check it out. Seems like the mainstays are pizza and burgers, but we went for salads. A chopped chef salad, with salami, aged provolone, pepperocinis. Was really very good. Very fresh, great mix of greens, not over dressed. We sat out in a small courtyard which was a comfortable, pleasing environment within the chaos that is PQ. I'll go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matchbox always deliversDee115401VIPDined on 10/7/2014One of my favorite restaurants in DC, a great go to and last minute fine. Doesn't disappoint especially if you can get in without having to wait for a table. Pretty good drinks and the pizza is very consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday LunchspatzdoVIPDined on 10/5/2014I took my Grandson to Matchbox before one one the Caps pre season games and It was a great experience. They let Brett make his own pizza. That staff was attentive and the pizzas were great.Special Features:
- Great Food...So-So ServiceOzuoVIPDined on 10/5/2014The food is what keeps you coming back at Matchbox in Chinatown. The brunch fare is outstanding. We were a party of four: We had the brunch pizza (amazing); waffles (good), French toast (outstanding) and crab cake Benedict (very Good). The service was inconsistent...Wait staff seemed overworked so you have to wait for water, refills etc...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really a jewel boxOlderannDined on 10/1/2014Attractive and warm. Food excellent. Atmosphere good. All the stairs a bit daunting for older folks but we managed.Special Features:
- Great vibe/Good foodReginaBDined on 10/1/2014We enjoyed food and svc by Chike, so we came back with a larger group. They loved him just as much as the food. Will come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticNicematindinerVIPDined on 9/30/2014Great - love it and keep returning. Great place for food and service. The best restaurant in Chinatown and will keep bringing clients there.Special Features:
- A Must!FoodexpertDined on 9/29/2014Chike(pronounced as Chikay)explained the menu and he was right on point. Everything our group was superb!Special Features:
- Best Brunch in DCHappilyfedVIPDined on 9/28/2014Took a group of 10 friends here for a collective birthday brunch. Not only did our waitress make time to actually learn everyone's names, they brought us a dessert collection at the end of our meal that made the day really special. But let's be honest, even without the perfect service, this place is affordable with dependably amazing food and the best cocktail menu in DC. Oh, and the cinnamon rolls will blow your mind. If you've never been, it's the best place in DC for a date, friends, or family. The restaurant has different levels to suit all levels of intimacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing dining experienceUnsureVIPDined on 9/26/2014Matchbox has become easily one of my favorite places to dine, it's delicious, the atmosphere is amazing and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Eveningdinnerfor2Dined on 9/26/2014My girlfriend was visiting from out of town for the weekend and we decided on Matchbox, having gone before, for dinner. Food was great! It came out hot and promptly, and tasted delicious. Our waitress was also fantastic! She was humorous and definitely connected with us and helped make our evening more memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday Night at MatchboxOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014Matchbox always delivers on the food. I've been so many times I cant even remember and I've always had awesome food. We arrived at Matchbox 15 minutes before our reservation and had to wait...didn't get seated until 20 minutes AFTER our reservation. We went to the bar and had a couple of drinks and the service was awesome- bartender was incredibly helpful in recommending my wine choice. However, after finally being seated we had terrible service at our table. Waited 15 minutes for our drinks and our server was literally non-existent. Would give bar service a 5, table service a 1.Special Features:
- Good restauranterliVIPDined on 9/25/2014The food was good, specially the Ahi Tuna Salad. Friendly service
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We were sat 30 minutes later than rez. Took forever to place an order. We received the wrong pizza. Gabby was sweet but seemed very inexperienced and didn't get to know her guests. Disappointing!! Jorge was wonderful. Sweet, attentive and kind. Gaby's response to everything was as soon as possible. Frustrating for a customer to hear over and over.
- Love pizzaDmc1113VIPDined on 9/19/2014This little place has great pizza and sandwich menu. Exposed brick walls and old flooring make it quite a charming place. Had a pizza for lunch that was delicious and service was great.Special Features:
- Great foodNatashaDined on 9/19/2014Service could have been better. We were left unattended for quite some time. Our appetizers came out and we had no plates to eat from. Supper friendly people, but maybe not enough servers. I noticed we weren't the only tables that were neglected for some time.Special Features:
- Great birthday lunch!lunchfor2Dined on 9/17/2014Took my friend here for his birthday lunch. Pizza and salad were excellent, and the waitress brought out a dessert sampler with a candle at the end. It was perfect!Special Features:
- Great all around!JamesDined on 9/16/2014We sat in the back of the very top floor. It was quiet and really nice. Usually service isn't so great in these back areas, but we were proved wrong. We had pizza, which is a great thin crust, there is also the option to get half and half on the toppings. The prosciutto and figs was delicious! It was a little sweet, but the arugula helped cut the sweetness. The cider selection was just Jacks in a can, but they did have a very good cocktail menu. Dessert was fantastic!! The doughnuts and coffee was really awesome, and the sorbets were fresh and inventive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014After a matiness at the Shakespeare Theater, I took my mother to Matchbox, just to try something unique. The atmosphere was informal and very unique. The wait staff was very helpful in providing recommendations. The food was well prepared and tasty.Special Features:
- My second time visitingUnsureVIPDined on 9/13/2014Food and service was amazing. They removed one of my favorite appetizers from the menu but everything I have ordered so far has been simply delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs workChristyGVIPDined on 9/13/2014I've eaten at various Matchbox locations many times. The food is good and the bar scene is lively. This visit in Chinatown, we had to wait for 35 minutes for our table and that is WITH a reservation. Clearly no one is managing the turn over in tables to ensure those with reservations get seated promptly. Then our server ignored us throughout dinner and took our forks after appetizers and salads but never brought more. My husband had to get up and walk over to the server's station to get forks TWICE! Servers walked past our table multiple times but never checked in to see if we needed anything, even when we had food on the table but weren't eating because we had no forks. Bad night for Matchbox and our last visit for the foreseeable future.
- Great Food!DCGovtContractorDined on 9/11/2014I always love the food and they never disappoint in terms of selection, quality and taste. Love Matchbox!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant in downtown DCSabrina84Dined on 9/8/2014Both pizza and meat were excellent, the ribs were especially tender and very tasty. Interesting cocktail list. The infusion based cocktails have a very low level of alcohol though. The atmosphere is really nice, booths are better than the high tables, less comfortable. The third floor seems more romantic than the second. I recommend this restaurant well located in downtown DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A True GemjessinthemiddleDined on 8/30/2014Loved, loved loved Matchbox. The service was great, the food was delicious and the ambience was cool and casual. I even stepped out of my comfort zone and tried the chocolate bread pudding. It was divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014I enjoyed the food, but the service left a lot to be desired. This is the second time I've visited your location where the service was mediocre.
- A Fun Little TreatpaokansasVIPDined on 8/27/2014Matchbox has lots of energy - the waiters, the ambience, the atmosphere, the diners. It is a fun place that sets the mood. The food was delicious (though my salmon was a tad overcooked), and the prices were right.Special Features:
- Always a great timeDorieDDined on 8/26/2014I always have a pleasant experience at Matchbox. A great place to fellowship with friends and family.Special Features:
- A good lunch time dining spotInfrequentFoodieDined on 8/26/2014My recent visit to Matchbox was a surprisingly good dining experience. The staff are attentive, pleasant and ready to assist from the moment you walk into the door. The decor was very trendy and welcoming. It would be a good option for any meal day or night. I had their pizza and my guest had a chicken sandwich that she returned for. I would return and am looking forward to trying the other items on their menu. Their french fries looked to die for and smelled amazing :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2014My lunchtime experience with this restaurant was great from the time my party and I walked in until we left. The hostess was friendly and attentive while still being quite professional. Our server was very professional, attentive, efficient and friendly. The food was excellent. Honestly, that is one of the best Angus burgers I have ever had. We will come back again, either for lunch or dinner.Special Features: