Matchbox - Capitol Hill
521 8th Street SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Capitol Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://matchboxcapitolhill.com/
- Phone: 2025480369
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Shannan Troncoso
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Sunday Jazz 11am - 2pm
A word from Matchbox - Capitol Hill
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matchbox - Capitol Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (34)neighborhood gem (31)great for outdoor dining (24)good for groups (21)great for brunch (21)fit for foodies (17)hot spot (15)kid-friendly (11)special occasion (10)romantic (8)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014Great experience- the service was slow but it was also quite busy for a Sunday brunch, so at least there's an explanation for it. The brunch pizza was outstanding. I ordered the big one so the whole table could partake- it was a hit! We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great Food and Accomodating ServerFly2theMoonVIPDined on 8/22/2014Our table ordered chicken pesto pizza, hamburgers, salad and fish. All were very tasty. The party of four at the neighboring table wanted sliders, which served in orders of 3 pieces. They asked the server if they could order four, and he quickly responded that he would check with the chef or manager. Soon a plate of 4 sliders arrived. Everyone was happy, and the server was complimented to the manager. That's customer service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Your place for adult pizzaSpockJenkinsDined on 8/16/2014So if you like pizza and like being adventurous then this is the place for you. I won't give you the gorey details, but it's the best pizza in town. It has an adults feeling unlike the jumbo slices in AM and the rest of the menu gives it the authority to say it's not a 'pizza joint'. If it's less than six of you in the party go for it. Anymore than that make a reservation and be flexible. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect findRDPierceDined on 8/9/2014We arrived into Washington DC later than planned. I called because open table had a reservation available that was past their closing time. They closed at 11pm but they took us around 10:45 or 10:50. The service was great. Food was wonderful (we had the short ribs). Atmosphere was fantastic. Overall it was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pizza, Outdoor Dining, PriceDaleDined on 8/9/2014The service was great. The pizza was awesome. The location is easy to get to with outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeDlove86Dined on 8/3/2014I love this place food and service was great! Its a nice place for a date night or just hanging out with your friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceDeeJDined on 7/30/2014I do not have any complaints. Never an issue with food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere & good foodJazzieDined on 7/11/2014It was crowded when I arrived (I arrived before my appointment time). The burger and shrimp and grits were delicious. I felt that Travis (waiter) could have been a little more attentive. I will probably visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!ScmariaDined on 7/11/2014My first experience was July 2013 of last year. It was Awesome! The food, wait staff and atmosphere ever since has never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceNotpickyatallDined on 7/5/2014I'm not sure it my server had a bad night prior to coming in but the service was terrible. He made several mistakes from bringing the meals out at different times, about 15 minutes between the time when the first meal was dropped. Forgot to bring butter, straws, extra water, etc., after being reminded several times. I have to say it's ranks as one of the worst experiences in a really long time. Matchbox, please train your servers to pay attention to details. That's what will keep us coming back.Special Features:
- Good foodDinersVIPDined on 7/4/2014Good food and great to have in the neighborhood. A bit pricey for pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ReliableAbeLDined on 6/14/2014We enjoy good food, but my spouse doesn't always want the unique sauces and specialty ingredients used in many top quality restaurants. We have found Matchbox to be a wonderful place where we can get excellent service and food without feeling as if we are reading in a foreign language when studying the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually great but not this timelj28VIPDined on 6/9/2014I've been to Matchbox more times than I can count and I have never had a problem with the food. It is always delicious, from the pizza to the sliders to the salad (I LOVE their chopped salad!!) - it is consistently great. Unfortunately, this visit was not as pleasant as it usually is because we had a server with an attitude. Not really sure what her issue was, but she did not seem too happy to be there and was alternating between rushing us along and disappearing for long periods. Also they did not have THREE of the beers that were listed on their menu (2 were new and had not even been tapped yet, so I'm not sure why they were listed) -- the reason I know this is because the 3 beers they did not have were the 3 I tried to order!Special Features:
- Spotty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2014I arrived solo without the other 4 guests in my party. When the others arrived, the host staff told them basically to find the table. Nice. Then the waiter introduced himself no more than three times to the table. Not a huge issue but it shows he's not paying attention. The service was slow for as empty as the place was. The food was good - no stand-outs in my opinion. Then, before everyone was done at the table, the waiter brought out what Matchbox decides you get for a birthday treat. It was fine but A. we didn't ask for it and B. not everyone was done eating at the table. I thought it was rude and not to have the choice was not good, in my opinion. Overall, the party was pleased. Personally, I would go someplace else for a celebration.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/8/2014Beautiful afternoon to sit outside and enjoy cocktails, salad, and sliders. Good service and people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendly and accomodating staffOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/7/2014The staff was outstanding. The host found us a table outside and the waiter was friendly. I had the crab cake sandwich which was okay; I've had better. There was some pieces of lump crab meat but not as much as I expected from the description on the menu. The roll was toasted which was great but it was "greasy" and the french fries seemed to have been cooked earlier and maybe reheated but they weren't hot. My friend had the pizza and she enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Good time!NavyYardDivaDined on 5/29/2014A few coworkers/ friends and I went to Matchbox for happy hour and had a wonderful time! The crab cake sandwich was delish! My drink was even better! Great atmosphere! Great time overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pizza & MoreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2014We had heard a lot about Matchbox and were not let down. We loved the fact that the one on Cap Hill takes reservations. Would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good brunchBuckeyeSMDined on 5/25/2014Good food.....not too pricey.....great outdoor seatingSpecial Features:
- Great spot to relax after shoppingGatorGurlDined on 5/24/2014Matchbox was perfect. After taking my mom to Eastern Market, we met a friend and dined on delicious 3, 6,9 burgers. Loooove the Gorgonzola cheese and yummy onion straws. My mom raved over the Matchbox Punch! We took our dessert to go. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. Don't drive! Take the Metro!Special Features:
- Decent food deplorable serviceMoose3193Dined on 5/7/2014We had reservations and were seated right away. Yet we sat for 39 minutes before we had a server come to our table. Once we places our order it took 30 mins for the app and one hour for the food. Te food was great bit the place wasn't busy and it took foreverSpecial Features:
- The following 112 reviews are from the Matchbox - Capitol Hill reviews archive.
- Good for small birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014I went with a group of 8 people to celebrate my birthday. The food was very good and they have a good variety of offerings. They had a good beer and wine selection. The ambience was nice but it was a bit loud for a larger group at a big table. The service was good. Our waiter was nice, knowledgeable, and attentive. All in all a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Pizza!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/29/2014What a great place and great food. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2014A couple of friends and I went for brunch before the Nationals game. We were in and out in the time we needed to be by. The service was great and the food was excellent. The steak and eggs were amazing. My friends ordered the cinnamon buns, which smelled delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousNotpickyatallDined on 4/26/2014Everything was outstanding. Food, Service, Ambience...SUPERB!
- Matchbox for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2014The service here was excellent. Our waiter was so attentive. As for the food, I appreciated being able to go half and half on a small pizza. My half was the prosciutto white. My friend had pepperoni. The prosciutto white had good flavor. I wished that the prosciutto would have been diced a little more. I kept pulling off all the prosciutto from my slice in one bite. My friend enjoyed the pepperoni. The pepperoni had a little kick to it and her slices were loaded. I think I would get that pizza next time. My friend raved about the magic brownie dessert, which that day was served with peanut butter gelato. I had the chocolate chip bread pudding, which was just ok. I've had better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service - OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/16/2014Server - great. Food - way overpriced. Basically Pizza Inn like thin crust pizza for 4 times the price.
- The food was very good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2014The food was very good. The pizza was more on the gourmet side but could also make them with any topping you wanted. The menu is diverse enough for everyone to be able to pick from salad to dinners to pizza. Great place!!Special Features:
- farewell lunch for colleagueFederalWorkerNo1MDined on 4/11/2014Six of us (one the honoree) went to lunch here. We had done something similar last year with our former boss. The restaurant could easily accommodate our size and dealt well with us trickling in in batches. We had a very pleasant and attentive server. Food was tasty as it always is here at Matchbox. Honoree had a good time, as did we all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Variety is the spice of lifeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/30/2014What a great variety ! Everyone was happy. The service was excellent. Many more selection to try. Street parking was available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!LoveToEatDined on 3/26/2014Matchbox is definitely a Great place for lunch OR dinner, the food and service are Outstanding!!! Keep up the Good Work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentyummyfoodDined on 3/26/2014Great food as always. Highly recommend the Kale salad and the soups are always great. Pizzas are delicious as well. Always enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capitol Hill Brunch DateBabyonboardDined on 3/15/2014My toddler daughter and I met another mom and toddler here to start our play date. We arrived at 10am. The place was already filling up quickly, a sign of good things to come. Our service was spectacular! Our server even cut the straws for the kid cups to make them easier for the little ones to handle. I ordered waffles for me and an additional one for my daughter. They were well prepared, but the fresh mixed fruit topping was what set the dish apart. Yummy!! We also splurged on the cinnamon rolls. We could barely eat them in the restaurant because we were all so full from our entrees. But we devoured them later that afternoon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but expensive for a lunchDiningDorsVIPDined on 3/4/2014This is a great place to eat but do not take friends here that are on a budget, as I learned the hard way. One beer, a sandwich and tip was $28 pp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good EatsHungryEaterVIPDined on 2/22/2014The food was good. The service was good as well. I'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodTeacherMegDined on 2/14/2014Matchbox has some of the best pizza I've ever had (I love pepperoni)! On our last visit, my pizza was a bit burnt and our server was adamant on making sure it was okay by my standards and offered to get me another one more than once (even willing to put it in a To Go box for us). We love their 3-6-9 mini burger appetizer but decided to branch out and try something new...we got their mini trio that consisted of 2 scallops, 2 mini crab cakes, and 2 of their bunless mini burgers and were beyond impressed. We often dine at the Merrifield location, but would be more than willing to head into Capitol Hill again for this location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 2/6/2014The server is what made the dinner exceptional, Jennifer made certain suggestions on the food. I felt like a pizza so she recommended the Prosciutto and black mission fig, but another sounded perfect to me as well...Coppa Italian Ham and Arugula and when she told us that we could have it made half and half I was like so excited... my honey had a burger cooked just like he liked it. We hardly order dessert with dinner but we couldn't resist once she told us about the famous donughts with orange zest and a kahlua creme' dipping sauce...wow that really complimented the whole entire experience. I have been to Matchbox several times and I still have yet to be disappointed. I thank you and I thank Jennifer for her hospitality. Kiki JonesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matchbox Resataurant - Capitol HillMichaelDined on 1/29/2014This was an excellent spot to have a delightful meal. It is expensive with sliders at three dollars apiece, but the display is excellent and they are covered in fried onion tangles. The pizzas were 10" and 14" and also expensive at $15/$23. But the pizza was well displayed, served hot and tasted great. There was good collection of beers which to my surprise had a great porter. Beers are served as pints. The service was excellent as well. The server had a solid knowledge of the drinks and menu. When undecided on which beer, she was quick to offer a free sample. The room was not large in size, but plenty of room for each patron without feeling cramped. I felt comfortable and well treated. The downside was price, but on my keeper list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gotta love the sliderssnaxterDined on 1/25/20143-6-9: love the sliders with the onion straws...well done!Special Features:
- Service was great! Food freshOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/6/2014Service was great! Food fresh and innovative. A great find and a great addiiton to the Washington Restaurant Scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.