Matchbox - 14th Street
1901 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - 14th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://matchbox14thstreet.com/
- Phone: 2023280369
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thurday: 5pm - 10:30pm, Friday: 5pm - 11:30pm, Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Matchbox - 14th Street
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matchbox - 14th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (67)neighborhood gem (48)great for lunch (44)great for outdoor dining (38)fit for foodies (32)great for brunch (27)hot spot (26)kid-friendly (25)vibrant bar scene (19)special occasion (17)late-night find (13)notable wine list (8)scenic view (7)romantic (6)Show More
- Matchbox never disappointsJoeLoganVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great to have a reliable, moderate-priced neighborhood restaurant. Great atmosphere and great food.Special Features:
- Delicious pizza and great find!FitzyVIPDined on 8/24/2014I had read some mixed reviews online but we still tried it because my friend recommended it to us. We are glad we went because our experience was great! It is a nice, clean, trendy restaurant. The kids had cheese pizza (it is thin crust) and something called Captain Healthy to the Rescue kids meal which hit the spot. Apples, carrots, celery, slice bananas and strawberries with peanut butter! Our kids enjoyed everything about their meal. We both had our own specialty pizzas. I had a fig and prosciutto pizza with Gorgonzola and pepper honey. It was delicious! We also had their fried banana split which had fried bananas, ice cream and brownies. It hit the spot for all of us. We will go back when we are in DC!Special Features:
- HeidilewDined on 8/23/2014It was great - the pizza is always amazing, especially the veggie for those of you vegetarians out there :) the blue cheese candied walnut salad was amazing. We were not about to eat all of the pizza, so we had it for lunch the next day, and who does not know by now that leftover pizza is better than fresh?! :)Special Features:
- Happy kids AND grown-ups!!!DCfoodieDined on 8/22/2014Great place for both fussy kid eaters and grown ups who want to eat more than just pizza! Something for everyone - and everyone's happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza havenBdineDined on 8/20/2014The brick oven pizza was done perfectly and the flavored on the sausage & onion pizza were nicely paired. I added mushrooms too. Also got a side of sautéed spinach with garlic. Perfect meal. The chicken entree smelled delicious across the table and based on the fact none was left when my cousin finished, I know that entree was a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent Crowd PleaserotberburVIPDined on 8/10/2014On my most recent visit to Matchbox, I ordered what I had during most of my prior visits -- beer, sliders, and a shared pizza. All were enjoyable to eat, as they were in the past, although their execution underscores that the kitchen's forte is consistency, rather than culinary innovation. We would have been happier if the pizza had been the last thing brought to our table, as we requested, instead of the first.
- Wonderful service!AnnieDined on 8/10/2014This was a great place for a brunch without being swarmed with other customers. We got there early and the service was extra personal and friendly. The food was good. My mom got the crab cakes and absolutely loved them. My sister had the frittata and it looked amazing. I really appreciated that there were vegetarian options. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hair(s)??LovemyfoodDined on 7/24/20141 hair in one salad? Ugh! 2 hairs in food and drink? Not returning there! And despite telling sever, nothing was done! Shame, because Matchbox in Rockville is great.
- Great Food/Drink SelectionMikDCDined on 7/18/2014If you're looking for great pizza at a sit down restaurant, Matchbox is the best. Great list of beer and wine choices too. The mozzi carrozzi appetizer was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsphatfoodieDined on 7/18/2014The food was exceptional as always, and the service was good as well. I have no complaints, and I will return again.
- Thank youwydmbsDined on 7/17/2014Staff were friendly and accommodating on a busy Thur night when my party expanded from 5 to 10 within 2 hours of booking. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Special Occasion LunchesJames0806Dined on 7/15/2014A friend took me to Matchbox on 14th for lunch to celebrate my birthday. The food and service were excellent. The server came by frequently to check on us, but didn't interrupt our conversation and made us feel like we were guests and not customers. We were not rushed at all and in fact, we had our table for three hours. I have eaten at Matchbox many times and I have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014We not only went to Matchbox 14 once, we returned the next night! As a visitor to the area, I wish there was one where I live (except I would have to make myself try other places to eat). Our service both nights was very good, with helpful servers who made suggestions as asked. The food itself was photo worthy in appearance and the taste was enough to bring us back a second night! The restaurant was busy, but not crowded and the food arrived quickly. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- crabcakes are deliciousTataDined on 7/11/2014Maryland blue crab sandwich were a bug size and very good. Salads are also good. Friendly servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just visiting good find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014Very welcoming waitstaff. Great specialty drinks. good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!celticgrl67Dined on 6/22/2014I came on Sunday for Brunch the food was great and so was the service will be back!! I recommend the Crispy Half Chicken and the Cast Iron Steak and Eggs !! Mimosas were awesomeSpecial Features:
- Reservation sent us to SiberiadcdinerDined on 6/15/2014My first visit to Matchbox. I went on open table and made a reservation so we would not have to wait for a table. I will not make that mistake again. We were taken upstairs where there were only 3 other diners. The bar downstairs was hopping, it felt like we were segregated from the crowd. We could have complained but we thought it might fill up. No it ended up just the 2 of us and 3 waiters. Weird. The food was great and the service excellent but it was just weird to be upstairs alone when there were open tables and booths downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phillynladudeVIPDined on 6/11/2014This place has so much potential. Such a cool space but service is amateurish and the staff is not well trained. Food is uninspired and timing was poor. Someone needs to reign in the staff as they run the restaurant not management.Special Features:
- Easy and DeliciouslucgooseDined on 6/10/2014I met a few girls here on Tuesday night around 630. My ONLY complaint is that the restaurant was pretty empty and not a very exciting scene; however, I feel like that would change later on in the night. The service was AWESOME. Everyone up front was so nice and funny (I had to wait for a while for the rest of my group). Our waiter wasn't rushing us nor forgetting about us in any way. I had the Fire and Smoke pizza which was delicious and the other girls food looked delicious as well. The menu isn't too exciting or adventurous, but you know you are going to get something delicious. Definitely a reliable and fun spot to be. Great for any type of groups (adults, kids, etc.). They also gave us complimentary donuts at the end!Special Features:
- Good Food and Good ServiceluvgoodfoodDined on 6/9/2014Had a great time at this Matchbox location. Our waiter was really nice and the food met our expectations. Overall great experience.Special Features:
- Always a Good Saturday Night OutCherylspeaksDined on 6/7/2014Met up with a friend after a long week and had a wonderful Saturday evening here. She surprised me and made it a mini celebration for an award I earned at my job. We loved the crab cake sandwich and substituted the fries with side salads. OMG the Apple/Pear salad with Gorgonzola is to die for!!! Don't forget to save room for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dusty01Dined on 6/4/2014Our Server was personable and helpful, couldn't have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great Sunday BrunchbeachbillyDined on 6/1/2014We went here for Brunch to celebrate a birthday. This was not our first time. We love it here. Great choice of Bloody Mary's. The one with bacon is the best. Another drink that we liked was the punch which was made with four flavored vodkas. Everybody raved about the fantastic cinnamon rolls that were hot and gooey. The table also got burger sliders which were perfect. The Trio appetizer is incredible and plenty to split. The crab bisque was a big hit. Breakfast pizza is another fantastic dish. More than enough for one person. The crab benedict was received with praise. The tuna crusted salad was fresh and tasty. Our server was attentive, pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu. We had a wonderful time and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PizzaRepeatCustomerVIPDined on 5/31/2014Matchbox handcrafted pizzas are one of the best in the region. From the Fire & Spice to the Spicey Meatballs, there is something for everyone's taste buds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had family in townMiche4572Dined on 5/29/2014I brought my sister and her boyfriend here a few nights ago. They're not the most adventurous eaters, so I wanted a place to please all palates. Matchbox was a great choice. I had the vegetarian pizza (with tomatoes, pesto and artichokes). It was a bit greasy (they really like their olive oil..), but delicious. My sister had the black bean Bahn Mi. Very interesting, and tasty! And her bf had the crispy chicken sandwich, which he devoured :) Our waiter was pleasant and humored me when I asked him to put a candle on my sister's dessert for her birthday. Now, if only he sang too...!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MMMMMMMatchboxFoodieDined on 5/27/2014I go to Matchbox all the time. I've been to all of their locations, but really like this one. The chef even brought out a special treat for our table for free! The pizza is always great, and when I venture away from the pizza, I'm always pleasantly surprised. The mini burgers are probably the best thing on the menu! Seriously, don't pass those up!Special Features:
- Great place to eat!luvfoodVIPDined on 5/23/2014Took my family to this restaurant on a Friday afternoon...some of my family was visiting from out of town. The food was great and our waiter was excellent (Ronni?). Matchbox is one of my favorite restaurants and I recommend it to everyone I know.Special Features:
- Great pizza and terrific menulisaopp21VIPDined on 5/21/2014This was our first time at Matchbox. The restaurant is beautiful and the bar area is great. We ordered the meatball pizza and I ordered an appetizer for dinner. There is something on the menu for everyone. Unfortunately I cannot eat a lot of pizza, but there was an abundance of other choices available. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- MatchlessBexleyVIPDined on 5/21/2014Matchbox is a great addition to the neighborhood. Good food at reasonable prices. It was a lovely day to eat outside.Special Features:
- hotess needs training!SlunsonDined on 5/18/2014So we had specific needs, table on the groundfloor, not a booth we had a diner with mobility difficulties. They kept asking us if we wanted to be outside - no we didnt its cold. We waited 30 mins past our reservation. We finally get told there is a table and it would be fine to put a chair up to it. It was upstairs, sure there is a lift and no stairs. This was all pretty much a lie. We eventually get to the area one of our diners was partially sighted so stairs were and issue. Our servers realise our problem and then go out of their way to make it happen. Plenty of tables available it really wasn't busy. Servers were amazing food good. Hostess bad, will not be recommending this location nor going back.Special Features:
- Very accommodatingLCDCVIPDined on 5/17/2014Matchbox was fantastic, as always, but particularly this past weekend when we thought we had made a reservation for 10 and found out the day of our dinner that Open Table doesn't DO reservations for 10, despite having that as an option in the drop down menu. Matchbox scrambled to find us a table at nearly the same time as our reservation, and dinner was great. We so appreciated Matchbox's willingness to work with us and fit us in after an Open Table issue on a busy Saturday night.Special Features:
- Wait ServiceBuddyDined on 5/5/2014We had a great time at Matchbox. My friend and I spent two hours chatting over lunch. Our waiter was wonderful...he knew just when to guide us to ordering and gave great suggestions (we took every one of his suggestions). He was amazing. We never felt rushed, but at the same time felt very well cared for. What a pro!Special Features:
- DeliciousJust1JimDined on 5/4/2014Really enjoyed Matchbox. Wished the brunch menu was a little more extensive. Was looking for a salad, but found only a side salad that was part of a burger entrée. Food is very good, especially the breakfast pizza.Special Features:
- Happy birthday!CapitolineDined on 5/4/2014Just enjoyed an exceptional special-occasion dinner here. The sever's recommendations were spot on, including the wine pairing. Lasagna sounds like such a prosaic dish, but not here. Black gnocchi have amazing earthy taste, like black truffles. Love the ambiance - grown up but not pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 233 reviews are from the Matchbox - 14th Street reviews archive.
- DinnerReviewer12345VIPDined on 5/1/2014The food was good and the service was great. The side salad I ordered for a starter was good, but very small and definitely not worth $8.
- Great Neighborhood EatscsindcVIPDined on 4/23/2014I live a block away from Matchbox and eat there a couple times a month. The food is consistently very good and the servers are almost always excellent. I highly recommend making a reservation as wait times can be very long. Though Matchbox is primarily a pizza place, I often get fish and salads and the serving size is a good value for the money.Special Features:
- Great pizzaNYC2013VIPDined on 4/19/2014Their pizza is top notch and there's a great drink menu too.Special Features:
- PerrDined on 4/19/2014great service, great food in a vibrant and exciting locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- re: loved it.newmanDined on 4/17/2014The food was very good. Our salad was excellent as was the pizza which our waiter recommended. Our waiter was really good. Very personable and helpful and attentive without being overbearing. The atmosphere is perfect for a casual restaurant. We had a great booth which was spacious and really comfortable for four of us. Overall I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Matchbox Scores Again!JwoodDined on 4/16/2014This Matchbox measures up in every way to the other Matchbox restaurants in the DC area. This is a great addition to the up and coming 14th Street Corridor. Each of the six of us had something different and everyone agreed that the meal was top-notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.