Matchbox - 14th Street
1901 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - 14th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://matchbox14thstreet.com/
- Phone: 2023280369
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thurday: 5pm - 10:30pm, Friday: 5pm - 11:30pm, Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Matchbox - 14th Street
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matchbox - 14th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (57)neighborhood gem (38)great for lunch (34)great for outdoor dining (33)fit for foodies (30)hot spot (30)great for brunch (28)kid-friendly (25)vibrant bar scene (22)special occasion (14)late-night find (10)romantic (8)notable wine list (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- Birthday Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014A really great spot for groups. They have big tables and they can accommodate and are willing to as well. Love the bar area at this location because of the size they have there and the space.Special Features:
- Get the cinnamon rolls!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014Cast-iron, homemade cinnamon rolls. Delicious as an appetizer. Delicious as a dessert. Had brunch here with a few girlfriends on our way out of DC and we were not disappointed. We all happened to order the same thing - huevos rancheros - and were all pleasantly surprised. The dish was a little spicier than any of us were expecting but the helping of guacamole on top helped to cool things down. We were also surprised to find it came served on a crispy tortilla - yum! Definitely made for a delicious dish.Special Features:
- I love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/17/2014Went here recently for a colleague's birthday lunch. We ordered the tuna salad, crab/avocado tower and shrimp and grits starters. The portions were huge and just really delicious. And then the pizzas - we had the prosciutto/fig (my favorite), the meat pizza and the spicy one. All terrific and we had leftovers. This restaurant does a really nice job on the service and the food.Special Features:
- Excellent food, service, atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/13/2014Went to celebrate my nephew's first college production-he's a theatre major. Matchbox is the same place that we went two years prior after his audition when he received his acceptance into the Theatre program . Love, love, love Matchbox.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic Birthday CelebrationEpicDined on 10/4/2014Great spot for a birthday party. Servers were attentive but at times food and drinks were slow coming out but we had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good timeNotCsitsmaVIPDined on 9/24/2014The scenery is beautiful and the food is consistently great.
- Ask for Nichole she gave great servDMVkitchensDined on 9/21/2014The service was excellent our waitress Nichole was on top of everything she was very relatable and made the experience the best I have had to date at this location. Will book again and request NicholeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Group Lunch SpotDrWooDined on 9/17/2014As a group we enjoyed lunch outside and they accommodated our special request, truly an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jgronerVIPDined on 9/11/2014Outdoor, dog-friendly patio is very attractive. The service was a bit indifferent and blase this time. The vegetarian pizza is quite good, but the "large" green salad is not very large at all and is not a good buy at $10.Special Features:
- DetailssikelVIPDined on 9/10/2014Only one complaint from an otherwise delicious dinner. The 2 wine glasses that were set on the table were smudged with fingerprints, dried-on water stains, and crusty lipstick residue. The bowl of the glasses hardly looked like they had been washed. The wait staff was very apologetic and quick to replace with spotless, sparkling clean glasses. Not a deal breaker but Matchbox would be wise to take a little bit of time to wipe clean all bar glasses before serving; and waitstaff should make sure their fingers are clean and dry before handling the bowl or stem of the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for brunchDcdinerDined on 9/1/2014I went to matchbox for brunch a few times and I was very pleased. I have never had problems with walking in it securing reservations and the food is great. The servings were fairly large for a reasonable price. I left feeling full, and the service was also good. The only complaint I have, is that their floor is fairly slippery. I wore saddles and I nearly tripped; another day I went with me friend, she literally slipped down the stairs. Make sure you walk to your table slowly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matchbox never disappointsJoeLoganVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great to have a reliable, moderate-priced neighborhood restaurant. Great atmosphere and great food.Special Features:
- Delicious pizza and great find!FitzyVIPDined on 8/24/2014I had read some mixed reviews online but we still tried it because my friend recommended it to us. We are glad we went because our experience was great! It is a nice, clean, trendy restaurant. The kids had cheese pizza (it is thin crust) and something called Captain Healthy to the Rescue kids meal which hit the spot. Apples, carrots, celery, slice bananas and strawberries with peanut butter! Our kids enjoyed everything about their meal. We both had our own specialty pizzas. I had a fig and prosciutto pizza with Gorgonzola and pepper honey. It was delicious! We also had their fried banana split which had fried bananas, ice cream and brownies. It hit the spot for all of us. We will go back when we are in DC!Special Features:
- HeidilewDined on 8/23/2014It was great - the pizza is always amazing, especially the veggie for those of you vegetarians out there :) the blue cheese candied walnut salad was amazing. We were not about to eat all of the pizza, so we had it for lunch the next day, and who does not know by now that leftover pizza is better than fresh?! :)Special Features:
- Happy kids AND grown-ups!!!DCfoodieDined on 8/22/2014Great place for both fussy kid eaters and grown ups who want to eat more than just pizza! Something for everyone - and everyone's happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza havenBdineDined on 8/20/2014The brick oven pizza was done perfectly and the flavored on the sausage & onion pizza were nicely paired. I added mushrooms too. Also got a side of sautéed spinach with garlic. Perfect meal. The chicken entree smelled delicious across the table and based on the fact none was left when my cousin finished, I know that entree was a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent Crowd PleaserotberburVIPDined on 8/10/2014On my most recent visit to Matchbox, I ordered what I had during most of my prior visits -- beer, sliders, and a shared pizza. All were enjoyable to eat, as they were in the past, although their execution underscores that the kitchen's forte is consistency, rather than culinary innovation. We would have been happier if the pizza had been the last thing brought to our table, as we requested, instead of the first.
- Wonderful service!AnnieDined on 8/10/2014This was a great place for a brunch without being swarmed with other customers. We got there early and the service was extra personal and friendly. The food was good. My mom got the crab cakes and absolutely loved them. My sister had the frittata and it looked amazing. I really appreciated that there were vegetarian options. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hair(s)??LovemyfoodDined on 7/24/20141 hair in one salad? Ugh! 2 hairs in food and drink? Not returning there! And despite telling sever, nothing was done! Shame, because Matchbox in Rockville is great.
- Great Food/Drink SelectionMikDCDined on 7/18/2014If you're looking for great pizza at a sit down restaurant, Matchbox is the best. Great list of beer and wine choices too. The mozzi carrozzi appetizer was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsphatfoodieDined on 7/18/2014The food was exceptional as always, and the service was good as well. I have no complaints, and I will return again.
- Thank youwydmbsDined on 7/17/2014Staff were friendly and accommodating on a busy Thur night when my party expanded from 5 to 10 within 2 hours of booking. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Special Occasion LunchesJames0806Dined on 7/15/2014A friend took me to Matchbox on 14th for lunch to celebrate my birthday. The food and service were excellent. The server came by frequently to check on us, but didn't interrupt our conversation and made us feel like we were guests and not customers. We were not rushed at all and in fact, we had our table for three hours. I have eaten at Matchbox many times and I have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014We not only went to Matchbox 14 once, we returned the next night! As a visitor to the area, I wish there was one where I live (except I would have to make myself try other places to eat). Our service both nights was very good, with helpful servers who made suggestions as asked. The food itself was photo worthy in appearance and the taste was enough to bring us back a second night! The restaurant was busy, but not crowded and the food arrived quickly. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- crabcakes are deliciousTataDined on 7/11/2014Maryland blue crab sandwich were a bug size and very good. Salads are also good. Friendly servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just visiting good find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014Very welcoming waitstaff. Great specialty drinks. good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 253 reviews are from the Matchbox - 14th Street reviews archive.
- Great Brunch!celticgrl67Dined on 6/22/2014I came on Sunday for Brunch the food was great and so was the service will be back!! I recommend the Crispy Half Chicken and the Cast Iron Steak and Eggs !! Mimosas were awesomeSpecial Features:
- Reservation sent us to SiberiadcdinerDined on 6/15/2014My first visit to Matchbox. I went on open table and made a reservation so we would not have to wait for a table. I will not make that mistake again. We were taken upstairs where there were only 3 other diners. The bar downstairs was hopping, it felt like we were segregated from the crowd. We could have complained but we thought it might fill up. No it ended up just the 2 of us and 3 waiters. Weird. The food was great and the service excellent but it was just weird to be upstairs alone when there were open tables and booths downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phillynladudeVIPDined on 6/11/2014This place has so much potential. Such a cool space but service is amateurish and the staff is not well trained. Food is uninspired and timing was poor. Someone needs to reign in the staff as they run the restaurant not management.Special Features:
- Easy and DeliciouslucgooseDined on 6/10/2014I met a few girls here on Tuesday night around 630. My ONLY complaint is that the restaurant was pretty empty and not a very exciting scene; however, I feel like that would change later on in the night. The service was AWESOME. Everyone up front was so nice and funny (I had to wait for a while for the rest of my group). Our waiter wasn't rushing us nor forgetting about us in any way. I had the Fire and Smoke pizza which was delicious and the other girls food looked delicious as well. The menu isn't too exciting or adventurous, but you know you are going to get something delicious. Definitely a reliable and fun spot to be. Great for any type of groups (adults, kids, etc.). They also gave us complimentary donuts at the end!Special Features:
- Good Food and Good ServiceluvgoodfoodDined on 6/9/2014Had a great time at this Matchbox location. Our waiter was really nice and the food met our expectations. Overall great experience.Special Features:
- Always a Good Saturday Night OutCherylspeaksDined on 6/7/2014Met up with a friend after a long week and had a wonderful Saturday evening here. She surprised me and made it a mini celebration for an award I earned at my job. We loved the crab cake sandwich and substituted the fries with side salads. OMG the Apple/Pear salad with Gorgonzola is to die for!!! Don't forget to save room for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dusty01Dined on 6/4/2014Our Server was personable and helpful, couldn't have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great Sunday BrunchbeachbillyDined on 6/1/2014We went here for Brunch to celebrate a birthday. This was not our first time. We love it here. Great choice of Bloody Mary's. The one with bacon is the best. Another drink that we liked was the punch which was made with four flavored vodkas. Everybody raved about the fantastic cinnamon rolls that were hot and gooey. The table also got burger sliders which were perfect. The Trio appetizer is incredible and plenty to split. The crab bisque was a big hit. Breakfast pizza is another fantastic dish. More than enough for one person. The crab benedict was received with praise. The tuna crusted salad was fresh and tasty. Our server was attentive, pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu. We had a wonderful time and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PizzaRepeatCustomerVIPDined on 5/31/2014Matchbox handcrafted pizzas are one of the best in the region. From the Fire & Spice to the Spicey Meatballs, there is something for everyone's taste buds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had family in townMiche4572Dined on 5/29/2014I brought my sister and her boyfriend here a few nights ago. They're not the most adventurous eaters, so I wanted a place to please all palates. Matchbox was a great choice. I had the vegetarian pizza (with tomatoes, pesto and artichokes). It was a bit greasy (they really like their olive oil..), but delicious. My sister had the black bean Bahn Mi. Very interesting, and tasty! And her bf had the crispy chicken sandwich, which he devoured :) Our waiter was pleasant and humored me when I asked him to put a candle on my sister's dessert for her birthday. Now, if only he sang too...!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MMMMMMMatchboxFoodieDined on 5/27/2014I go to Matchbox all the time. I've been to all of their locations, but really like this one. The chef even brought out a special treat for our table for free! The pizza is always great, and when I venture away from the pizza, I'm always pleasantly surprised. The mini burgers are probably the best thing on the menu! Seriously, don't pass those up!Special Features:
- Great place to eat!luvfoodVIPDined on 5/23/2014Took my family to this restaurant on a Friday afternoon...some of my family was visiting from out of town. The food was great and our waiter was excellent (Ronni?). Matchbox is one of my favorite restaurants and I recommend it to everyone I know.Special Features:
- Great pizza and terrific menulisaopp21VIPDined on 5/21/2014This was our first time at Matchbox. The restaurant is beautiful and the bar area is great. We ordered the meatball pizza and I ordered an appetizer for dinner. There is something on the menu for everyone. Unfortunately I cannot eat a lot of pizza, but there was an abundance of other choices available. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- MatchlessBexleyVIPDined on 5/21/2014Matchbox is a great addition to the neighborhood. Good food at reasonable prices. It was a lovely day to eat outside.Special Features: