98 Washington St
South Norwalk, CT 06854Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matchsono.com/
- Phone: (203) 852-1088
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday, Sunday 5:00pm-10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-11:00pm
Wednesday - Friday 11:30am - 2ish
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Storch
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Facilities: Match offers a small private stage area in the front of the restaurant with a max capacity of 20 guests. This space acts as a four wall private room for private functions.
Match also offers the back dining area which holds up to 60 guests or there is always the option to buy-out the restaurant which can hold 110 guests.
Match also caters many private parties at The Loft Martini Lounge across the street. For more information on The Loft go to www.theloftsono.com.
- Private Party Contact: Matt Storch 203-852-1088x4
A word from Match
A fourteen-year veteran of South Norwalk’s dining scene, Match has earned its reputation as one of the state’s most consistent and award-winning restaurants with its global approach to New American cuisine led by chef/owner Matt Storch. Match has focused on retaining its loyal clientele as well as welcoming new guests by emphasizing high quality local ingredients, plate presentation and great service along with an award winning wine list. All of these elements come together in a radiant room that pulses with energy. Reservations recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Match reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (26)special occasion (23)good for groups (21)romantic (20)notable wine list (18)vibrant bar scene (16)great for outdoor dining (13)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/17/2014Peter was our server. He probably told us about the 50% off all wines. He was very knowledgeable about the menu. He then asked if he could surprise us with one of his favorite appetizers. Which was absolutely delicious. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencePeterpizzazzDined on 11/10/2014We were celebrating Veterans Day one day early, had tickets to see the US Navy Jazz Ensemble so we had the earliest res. that day; 5 pm. Even though we were the first seated, we were taken care of immediately. There was no delay for any portion of our meal. William our server was polite, on point and efficient. Really pleased with all aspects. Pleasantly surprised with the foi gras app. The foi gras was prepared perfectly, set atop gourmet apple sauce and cinnamon/sugar dusted toast points WOW! Excellent balance! My wife ordered the grill octopus. Preparations were perfect and the small dollop on the side of the plate (apple compote?) were pleasantly surprised with braised caramelized banana! We ordered the porterhouse for two-perfect!Special Features:
- Still Best In Fairfield CountyCreatureuvhabitVIPDined on 11/8/2014One of my favorite restaurants. Had not been for a while and was gratified to see the Osso Bucco was still on the menu. Best I ever had...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for my birthday, wasn't disappointedASABDined on 11/1/2014Food is on the pricey end, but unique flavors and good ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie ParadiseHeatherLynDined on 10/24/2014We had a perfect night out with friends at Match! Started with a few of their cocktails (my favorite being the one with green tea), and the tuna tartar, which was out of this world. We enjoyed everything we ordered, and will definitely be back. I also love how fall flavors were incorporated into the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchSkipVIPDined on 10/22/2014Superior food and overall experience! Shrimp cocktail was one of the best I have ever had. Fair price and a number of entrees to choose from. Fun atmosphere and friendly environment. Would recommend Match to all looking for something different with high quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soho ambiance in NorwalkMBCODined on 10/17/2014The owners of Match have created an urban vibe in the design and menu of Match. On a street of middling brew pubs Match is a hip industrial space with staff and Anerican fare menu that's warm and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeBig45Dined on 10/17/2014Excellent food and service was fantastic. The restaurant was quiet enough to talk and dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerJudyWDined on 10/14/2014Everyone enjoyed so much, it was a great spot to bring clients.Special Features:
- Great option in SonoMmrzDined on 10/3/2014Went to celebrate my friend's birthday and we were amazed with the food. The small plates are delicious. Defenitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/23/2014Excellent service and food. The anniversary menu was a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great first visitecllVIPDined on 9/22/2014We took advantage of the anniversary specials of 3 courses for $30 and 1/2 price wine. Table of 5, we were given a big round booth which was perfect for our group and great for conversation. The pizza was outstanding. We will all return.Special Features:
- Inventive and deliciousHungryreDined on 9/21/2014This describes my recent and first visit. I hosted out of town real estate clients looking to possibly buy in SONO. The experience from service to food was a winner.Special Features:
- Friendly staff, good foodIliketoeatDined on 9/20/2014The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. We got there early (5:30pm) on a Saturday and had a drink before ordering dinner. By 6:30/7 it was packed. The garlic bread and fish taco appetizers were delicious. Good pizza too. I ordered the steak, and the French fries were delicious but the steak itself was a bit bland. From eyeing the table next to us, looks like the pastas are delicious. Great sangria too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsToddDined on 9/19/2014They're celebrating 15 years this year and we've been going there for 10. Everything was great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014We used to love this restaurant, however the food was not as good as it used to be. It's just mediocre now. Service was better though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuna?FoodiethatlikesamealDined on 9/19/2014Gotta get: either or both tuna apps, calamari, burger, pizzaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There are very few that could MatchEychDined on 9/14/2014Everything was perfect from the food to the ambiance to all the staff. I have been to Match many time when I was younger, the subtle changes you have made are fantastic. I will certainly be a repeat customer. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKaLoves2EatDined on 9/13/2014Great experience here! Our waiter (Can't remeber his name but polish guy) knew the menu well and all his recommendations were on point! Would def revisit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceHighroadDined on 9/4/2014The beet salad, the mission fig small plate and the mozzarella and bacon slab dishes were beyond wonderful. Friends had the pizette and osso bucco...delicious. Lovely staff and excellent service... We are returning two nights later to share Match with some city friends...can't wait! Mariana MaddocksSpecial Features:
- Favorite place to dineMojo4Dined on 9/4/2014My wife and I go here for every special occasion we can think of. It is a 20 min drive and is by far our favorite restaurant in CT. They just do everything great.Special Features:
- Better than everCreeksideDined on 8/30/2014We liked the old Match , but the new Match is even better. Each dish was even better than the menu description with fabulous mixes of flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyFairfieldFoodieDined on 8/29/2014Great food and funky decor. It was a great meal and great for elderly family members. Steak Frites was not traditional but it was tasty. Next time a heads up on the menu that it was a twist on the tradition would be great, but nonetheless it was good.Special Features:
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014We were from out of town, needing a good dinner spot for entertaining a client and bingo! This spot was perfect. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food in south norwalkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Very nice... This was the second time to visit Match and it was much better than our first visit. The food and service were very good and its now on our favorite list.Special Features:
- Best pizza nightSunshineDined on 8/15/2014It was a great night. Our friends had never been there and were very impressed . Coleen , our waitress was wonderful, attentive, despite the busy evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 406 reviews are from the Match reviews archive.
- Match - one of our "go to's"clg9493Dined on 7/14/2014My dinner at Match was one of the best I've had from ANYWHERE in the world. The swordfish is to die for - flavor development is fantastic. 3 of us split truffle tortellini as an appetizer and it was heavenly. I love truffles but sorta hate raviolini b/c I find them to be a bit heavy, but these were so light and delicious. I never write reviews but Match really blew me away, and I realized that Matt Storch has never disappointed over the past 10+ years I've been there. Not to mention, the staff is incredible (say hi to Peter!) so the whole experience is great. The pizzas are amazing. The tuna soy wasabi is my brother's favorite dish ever. Highly recommend this beautiful, chic hotspot with BEYOND AMAZING FOOD. Much love to Match!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as everWestportEllenDined on 7/11/2014New menu format - not as many vegetable dishes as last time, but some favorites are back (figs with gorgonzola and bacon).Special Features:
- Delicious lobster rollncrnVIPDined on 7/11/2014The lobster roll was excellent — buttery grilled roll, fresh chunky lobster meat, crunchy french fries and a bit of lightly dressed arugula. Perfect lunch!Special Features:
- DeethefoodieDined on 7/8/2014I have been to Match several times. Sometimes with a small group of friends (2-4) and also for larger parties and they never fail to impress. The food is wonderful and the service is attentive and responsive. Love the place!Special Features:
- Still GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/5/2014We ate at Match when it first opened and enjoyed our experience but just never managed to get back again. Finally did-though the menu has changed the expereince hasn't The decor is lovely and we were lucky enough to get a window table. The service was impeccable-friendly, knowledgeable, very helpful with the food allergies at our table and attentive-but not too attentive. All of our appetizers and entrees were delicious, though it was hard to decide what to have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great crowd - great foodEatingAcrossCTVIPDined on 6/28/2014Evolved menu is great - small plates - large plates - food quality and cuisine (new american) top notch - great crowd (loud but not overwhelming unless you are 60+ years old - we are not). We were seated immediately and service was terrific given that every table was filled and 2 deep at the bar. FYI - nicely developed bar/cocktail menu if that is your thing (it is mine). Coming back. Number 1 or 2 in SoNo for sure - in the Top 5 in Fairfield County for food and vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Preferred old menufcfoodieDined on 6/26/2014I remember dining at Match in Oct 13 and absolutely loving the diversity and creativity of the menu. The food was fantastic. I've been back twice after the reopen and have been slightly disappointed relative to my prior experience. It seems like the restaurant is having an identity crisis; is it farm to table, is it a pizza enoteca, is it bistro French or is it a tapas bar? It executes none of these resoundingly. A more inspired and creative menu with clear focus would go a long way given the talents of the culinary team. Still, it is one of the better places in lower Fairfield county. Service is very friendly.
- Outdoor find in NorwalkBocaGrandeDined on 6/22/2014Friends recommended Match and we were not disappointed. We dined outdoors on the sidewalk and had a great meal: salads were great (beet was best, house salad and Caesar good too), Margherita pizza and Octopus were hits with everyone. Ben Marco malebec - delicious! Sidewalk scene was fun - train sounds, world cup soccer madness sounds coming form nearby bars - it was lively and we felt we were in a "happening" place. Service was attentive and well timed. We would return.Special Features:
- Am I missing something?TCK83VIPDined on 6/13/2014This restaurant has been on my have to try list for awhile based on the accolades Chef Storch receives. 4 of us dined during restaurant week doing our best to all try different dishes and none of us were overly impressed. Things started off bad with our server. Maybe trying to be playful, he came across as rude which carried through the night. He'd forgotten items and once we reminded him they were wrong. Maybe he should be paying attention to his service and not so much his "act" . As for the food, the menu sounded like a fun change of pace but all of us agreed the flavor just wasn't developed. I actually can't remember what I had for an appetizer Gnocchi had a great texture but again flavor wasn't there. Dessert was the highlightSpecial Features:
- like2dineoutDined on 6/13/2014Good food, good service, something for everyone menu. Small plates to full dinners well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to be greatWestportEllenDined on 6/13/2014Took a friend and the meal was spectacular, as usual. True to the season, one of their small plates was fresh peas with lardons - wow. Who ever thought to put a potato latke with melted goat cheese in a salad? Thank you for staying in business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good burger, dangerous stepsAnkieDined on 6/12/2014The burger was excellent and the service solid. Water glasses were refreshed promptly. The trip down the stairs to the facilities was scary: poor lighting and black carpet on the steps seems a disaster waiting to happen.Special Features:
- Always love to go there!WecpotentialDined on 6/10/2014One of my favorite places to go in Fairfield County! Always have delicious food. Peter is a wonderful server, he makes the experience even better! I am always recommending your restaurant to all my friends and newcomers. Can't wait to go back...Special Features:
- foodisloveDined on 6/5/2014My wife took me there for my birthday. It was a great choice. From the bread through desert everything was excellant. Oh, and the service to.Special Features: