98 Washington St
South Norwalk, CT 06854Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matchsono.com/
- Phone: 2038521088x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Storch
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Facilities: Match offers a small private stage area in the front of the restaurant with a max capacity of 20 guests. This space acts as a four wall private room for private functions.
Match also offers the back dining area which holds up to 60 guests or there is always the option to buy-out the restaurant which can hold 110 guests.
Match also caters many private parties at The Loft Martini Lounge across the street. For more information on The Loft go to www.theloftsono.com.
- Private Party Contact: Matt Storch 203-852-1088x4
A word from Match
A fourteen-year veteran of South Norwalk’s dining scene, Match has earned its reputation as one of the state’s most consistent and award-winning restaurants with its global approach to New American cuisine led by chef/owner Matt Storch. Match has focused on retaining its loyal clientele as well as welcoming new guests by emphasizing high quality local ingredients, plate presentation and great service along with an award winning wine list. All of these elements come together in a radiant room that pulses with energy. Reservations recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Match reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (26)special occasion (18)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (14)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (13)romantic (10)notable wine list (10)late-night find (7)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- good food in south norwalkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Very nice... This was the second time to visit Match and it was much better than our first visit. The food and service were very good and its now on our favorite list.Special Features:
- Best pizza nightSunshineDined on 8/15/2014It was a great night. Our friends had never been there and were very impressed . Coleen , our waitress was wonderful, attentive, despite the busy evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Match - one of our "go to's"clg9493Dined on 7/14/2014My dinner at Match was one of the best I've had from ANYWHERE in the world. The swordfish is to die for - flavor development is fantastic. 3 of us split truffle tortellini as an appetizer and it was heavenly. I love truffles but sorta hate raviolini b/c I find them to be a bit heavy, but these were so light and delicious. I never write reviews but Match really blew me away, and I realized that Matt Storch has never disappointed over the past 10+ years I've been there. Not to mention, the staff is incredible (say hi to Peter!) so the whole experience is great. The pizzas are amazing. The tuna soy wasabi is my brother's favorite dish ever. Highly recommend this beautiful, chic hotspot with BEYOND AMAZING FOOD. Much love to Match!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as everWestportEllenDined on 7/11/2014New menu format - not as many vegetable dishes as last time, but some favorites are back (figs with gorgonzola and bacon).Special Features:
- Delicious lobster rollncrnVIPDined on 7/11/2014The lobster roll was excellent — buttery grilled roll, fresh chunky lobster meat, crunchy french fries and a bit of lightly dressed arugula. Perfect lunch!Special Features:
- DeethefoodieDined on 7/8/2014I have been to Match several times. Sometimes with a small group of friends (2-4) and also for larger parties and they never fail to impress. The food is wonderful and the service is attentive and responsive. Love the place!Special Features:
- Still GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/5/2014We ate at Match when it first opened and enjoyed our experience but just never managed to get back again. Finally did-though the menu has changed the expereince hasn't The decor is lovely and we were lucky enough to get a window table. The service was impeccable-friendly, knowledgeable, very helpful with the food allergies at our table and attentive-but not too attentive. All of our appetizers and entrees were delicious, though it was hard to decide what to have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great crowd - great foodEatingAcrossCTDined on 6/28/2014Evolved menu is great - small plates - large plates - food quality and cuisine (new american) top notch - great crowd (loud but not overwhelming unless you are 60+ years old - we are not). We were seated immediately and service was terrific given that every table was filled and 2 deep at the bar. FYI - nicely developed bar/cocktail menu if that is your thing (it is mine). Coming back. Number 1 or 2 in SoNo for sure - in the Top 5 in Fairfield County for food and vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Preferred old menufcfoodieDined on 6/26/2014I remember dining at Match in Oct 13 and absolutely loving the diversity and creativity of the menu. The food was fantastic. I've been back twice after the reopen and have been slightly disappointed relative to my prior experience. It seems like the restaurant is having an identity crisis; is it farm to table, is it a pizza enoteca, is it bistro French or is it a tapas bar? It executes none of these resoundingly. A more inspired and creative menu with clear focus would go a long way given the talents of the culinary team. Still, it is one of the better places in lower Fairfield county. Service is very friendly.
- Outdoor find in NorwalkBocaGrandeDined on 6/22/2014Friends recommended Match and we were not disappointed. We dined outdoors on the sidewalk and had a great meal: salads were great (beet was best, house salad and Caesar good too), Margherita pizza and Octopus were hits with everyone. Ben Marco malebec - delicious! Sidewalk scene was fun - train sounds, world cup soccer madness sounds coming form nearby bars - it was lively and we felt we were in a "happening" place. Service was attentive and well timed. We would return.Special Features:
- Am I missing something?TCK83VIPDined on 6/13/2014This restaurant has been on my have to try list for awhile based on the accolades Chef Storch receives. 4 of us dined during restaurant week doing our best to all try different dishes and none of us were overly impressed. Things started off bad with our server. Maybe trying to be playful, he came across as rude which carried through the night. He'd forgotten items and once we reminded him they were wrong. Maybe he should be paying attention to his service and not so much his "act" . As for the food, the menu sounded like a fun change of pace but all of us agreed the flavor just wasn't developed. I actually can't remember what I had for an appetizer Gnocchi had a great texture but again flavor wasn't there. Dessert was the highlightSpecial Features:
- like2dineoutDined on 6/13/2014Good food, good service, something for everyone menu. Small plates to full dinners well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to be greatWestportEllenDined on 6/13/2014Took a friend and the meal was spectacular, as usual. True to the season, one of their small plates was fresh peas with lardons - wow. Who ever thought to put a potato latke with melted goat cheese in a salad? Thank you for staying in business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good burger, dangerous stepsAnkieDined on 6/12/2014The burger was excellent and the service solid. Water glasses were refreshed promptly. The trip down the stairs to the facilities was scary: poor lighting and black carpet on the steps seems a disaster waiting to happen.Special Features:
- Always love to go there!WecpotentialDined on 6/10/2014One of my favorite places to go in Fairfield County! Always have delicious food. Peter is a wonderful server, he makes the experience even better! I am always recommending your restaurant to all my friends and newcomers. Can't wait to go back...Special Features:
- foodisloveDined on 6/5/2014My wife took me there for my birthday. It was a great choice. From the bread through desert everything was excellant. Oh, and the service to.Special Features:
- Innovative cuisineantiquetravlerVIPDined on 6/1/2014The menu is different, fresh, and tempting. Service was professional and upbeat. Drinks were delicious. The only negative was the food did not come out in courses at the same time. Highly recommend. The tuna was amazing, black bass, chicken and strawberry rhubarb crisp perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/31/2014My husband and I were out for a celebratory dinner - check! His Match burger was the best burger he's had in a long time and my swordfish could easily be the best I've had in years! The only reason I didn't give service the same 5 stars as everything else here was the rather rude hostess response when we arrived for our reserved table. At 5:30pm there were still a number of places to sit and she placed us right next to an occupied table. I asked to sit at another table that did not already have someone at our elbows. Scowling, she left us standing as she found something else to do! After being ignored for about 10 minutes, we decided to simply to seat ourselves in a dining room that was 75% empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014We had a reservation for 8 pm for 4 of us. We were seated at a throne like perfect table w a purple valor backing to our seat. So awesome. Food was delicious n our bill was very very reasonable for appys drinks and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MatchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014Match was always special, now not so much since changing to small plates. Not much selection and no specials.Special Features:
- jezekVIPDined on 5/17/2014Wood oven whole fish was awesome.. As were the fried oysters with tuna tartare! Perfect meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost its mojoBarbarafhVIPDined on 5/11/2014This was once my favorite restaurant. Not so much now. Recently MATCH redesigned the interior and reded the menu. Now it was difficult to chose what we wanted to eat. Not because like before too many items appealed to us, but because not much appealed to us. We had a fig proscuitto pizza which was extremmely salty and too burnt. I had the 12oz steak - absolutely flavorless. Steakhouse style spinach- no really. My daughter ordered a pasta dish which did not include garlic among the ingredients, yet largeand plentiful chunks were found in the plate. The problem being, she is allergic to garlic. Another pasta dish was also tasteless. Needless to say we won't be going back.
- Good dinnerPamPVIPDined on 5/10/2014We have eaten here several times and this last one was the best. Went with 2 couples and everyone enjoyed their meal. Food was really good. Service was a little slow but it was nice not to be rushed. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dishes with excellent servicehappydinerDined on 5/10/2014We went to Match for Mother's Day and had a great experience. We had to wait a little longer than expected for our table but were happy to do so, especially because the hostess and servers were all so gracious and apologetic. We ended up getting the best table right by the window and complimentary prosecco for our wait. The wine list is pretty extensive, and the menu is equally diverse and appealing. We ordered the octopus frites and ahi tuna to start -- both of which were delicious but I highly recommend the octopus! For mains we had the osso buco, t-bone steak and flounder, all of which were amazing, rich and flavorful. The osso buco melts in your mouth. The wait staff was perfectly friendly and attentive, adding a lot to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Match is still great!KPKCTDined on 5/9/2014With the relaunch of Match it is just as good as we remember it being. One thing I would comment about were the drinks were a bit weak and the Gnocchi was salty. Other than that, the carpetbaggers and lobster pasta is superb!Special Features:
- LaurelDined on 5/8/2014The new Match has changed to the small/medium/large plates format, which is slightly irritating. However, when we asked the waiter for suggestions, he offered to order for us. We were in an adventurous mood, and accepted. He ordered us two salads--a spinach and a melon with prosciutto, followed by a whole snapper. It was a lovely light meal. It was not, however, inexpensive, so be prepared. Since this was a weeknight and we were in the window seats, the ambiance was quiet, and we could hear each other talk. However, the tables are close enough together that we also had conversations with our neighbors. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening, but there are drawbacks here.Special Features:
- Perfect Match!perfectmatchDined on 5/3/2014Great Food! Great atmosphere all around! 'twas a perfect Saturday night; we planned an early Mother's Day celebration and made reservations through OpenTable - Our request for a window seat was granted and it made for the perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 381 reviews are from the Match reviews archive.
- OverreachingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/18/2014Menu tries too hard. Steak Tartar was inedible. Beet salad too sweet. And after that beginning the meal was forgettable.
- Consistently GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/17/2014We have been going to Match for 20 years and are always impressed with how good the food always is. The staff are exceptionally friendly and really are interested in your experience at the restaurant. We would highly recommend a visit to Match when in the Norwalk area. We have had business and personal dinners during the years and have never been let down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New MenucwheelDined on 4/6/2014After many years of success, the chef has changed a few items and the menu. Old favorites are ofter still offered, and overall, change will end up being good. This is a very good restaurant, with a good kitchen and an always pleasant and tasteful meal. Wine is 50% price on Sundays, so it is a great night to take your loved one out.Special Features:
- The New Match!FoodieVIPDined on 4/5/2014Match was always the most upscale restaurant in Sono with its inventive menu and wood burning fish, meats and pizza. Some of the most creative cocktails stirred rather than shaken and the best charred octopus in Fairfield County. Chef Owner Matt Storch gets it right with a change in ambience, color and a fresh, new menu like no one else has in the area. Get the Wood Roasted Red Snapper for Two...You have to filet it yourself, but it's so worth it---comes with sticky rise and stir fry bok choy--Service is superb and not rushed--not even on a Saturday night. Love the changes to the menu--something for every palate. Definite must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uh ohCTRobVIPDined on 4/1/2014We used to LOVE Match. This was our first trip to the "new" Match. I don't really see the improvement in decor or the menu. The staff remains the same and excellent. Some of the old staples are there and good, but the new stuff...not so much. I had the swordfish which the waiter recommended. It was a very large portion of mostly dry fish covered in a brown sauce that didn't make sense and over a grain that was just ok. The risotto was huge and mostly bland. Not very inventive. Dessert was just ok. The menu was impossible to read with appetizers and main courses grouped together in some meaningless way. Really? Hopefully they will pick it back up to the level that we were used to.
- Due to a recently very paredVogueeaterDined on 3/23/2014Due to a recently very pared down menu we were very disappointed. The menu is now very similar to The Chelsea and if we wanted that type of bar food we would have gone to The Chelsea. We were craving some of Matt's amazing dishes but instead got pizza, burgers and salad and a very few of the favorites from the old menu.Special Features:
- Truffles and foie gras birthdayBec2FinVIPDined on 3/22/2014Superb choice for my birthday dinner. Ticked all my boxes with succulent foie gras, followed by risotto and shaved truffles. Washed down by a pinot of excellent character. Attentive manager made for a very friendly atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great serviceverypleasedDined on 2/28/2014You won't be disappointed with the excellent service you get from the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingKPKCTDined on 2/23/2014Match is an amazing restaurant. It will be closing soon to remodeling but it was well worth our visit! The carpetbaggers are the best and they have a half price bottle wine deal on Sundays and Mondays. The chef will be owning the new Match which will be open in about a month or so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb, as alwaysNormDined on 2/23/2014I have never - and I do mean never - been disappointed with my experience at Match. It is deservedly rated as among the very top restaurants in Connecticut. Great food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualtymelyronVIPDined on 2/20/2014Came to eat the "Thursday night burger" again before Match closes on March 1 for a couple of months for renovations; it was as good as we remembered it, the meat now supplied by Saugatuck Butchery; onions, bacon, cheese with a great char on the outside, and excellent fries to go along with it. We're looking forward to coming back when it reopens, in the meantime, get there while you can.Special Features:
- Go to Match!Minx320Dined on 2/16/2014We've been dining at Match for years and Chef Storch and Team continue to deliver amazing food, service, and warmth. Best in Sono and a best in the tri-state. (New Yorkers, Match is a few blocks from the MetroNorth South Norwalk Station; you'll be glad you took the trip.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBracelerDined on 2/10/2014Really that is all I can say. The food is absolutely amazing. The chef is phenomenal. Great thing about going on a Sunday or Monday is that the wine list is 50% off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.