Match Works Tavern
8500 Station Street
Mentor, OH 44060Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Match Works Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matchworkstavern.com/
- Phone: 4402550400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tom Quick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We cater on and off premise for all events. Our Chef is skilled in catering of any style from casual picnic fair, appetizer buffets, to formal sit down dinners: French, Italian, Asian, American, Mediteranian......Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Fair. He will create a munu with you specific to your preferences and budget. Recently we have catered business luncheons, funeral receptions, rehersal diners, birthday parties, first comunions, fund raisers, golf outings, weddings and casual meet and greets with appetizer buffets.
- Entertainment: See our web site for featured entertainment. www.matchworkstavern.com
A word from Match Works Tavern
Come visit us in the historic Match Works Building for a truly unique culinary and social experience in a "casual atmosphere with serious food". Founder and Executive Chef Tom Quick is a graduate of California Culinary Academy in San Francisco. His culinary skills are an eclectic fusion of American, Asian and European cuisine. If you liked Epiq, you're sure to love his Match Works Tavern.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Match Works Tavern - Best Restaurants in Mentor ›
Match Works Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (13)neighborhood gem (12)special occasion (10)fit for foodies (9)romantic (5)good for groups (4)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food!LeakyRoofDined on 8/25/2014I had a chilian Sea Bass and it was out standing! My mom had the lamb and it was cooked perfect! Great find for a Monday night dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great comfort foodBeckymVIPDined on 7/25/2014I had chicken Marsala with mashed potatoes (which I haven't had in years) they were home made and the Marsala gravy was really yummy. My friend had lamb shank with mashed potatoes and she wanted to lick her plate. The lobster bisque is so filling I really didn't have room for my meal.Special Features:
- Good to the Last Drop!CloverdaleDined on 7/21/2014My wife and I had a very enjoyable Monday evening in the quiet ambience of this tavern. Pleasant way to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Fish and chicken entrees were excellent, hence the title of this review. Server was welcoming and appreciative of our business. We shall return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014I begin by sating there was a oil smell upon entering. Also, there were about 3 ants we had to kill that crawled on table. My food, the perch was terrible. My daughters salom was ok, my husband said his salmon was good. For the price, we expected much, much, better.
- Love this placeSusanDined on 7/5/2014Small, out of the way, amazing food and good beer. Love it here.Special Features:
- Dining at the Matchworks Taverncuthere9Dined on 6/17/2014We had a reservation for 6:30 Tuesday evening. It wasn't necessary. The place was essentially empty. I don't know if it was just an anomaly, but we were there nearly 1.5 hours and we had the entire dining room to ourselves. This was fine with me, but it did seem unusual. Obviously we got very good service. The menu was somewhat limited. The food was very good, but over priced as were the drinks. The salads were especially skimpy considering what they cost. Maybe that explains the lack of business.Special Features:
- A wonderful night!IteachmathDined on 6/5/2014We had an excellent experience at Matchworks Tavern! We had 4 small children with us in a party of 13 to celebrate Papa's bday. The restaurant was very accomodating setting us up on the patio as we requedted. Although there is no kids menu, the chef cooks to order so made buttered noodles for a couple of our little ones. The servers were so friendly and the food was outstanding! Between us we had everything from lamb shank, steaks, fish to burgers. Everything was amazing! If there is one criticism I'd make it is that it took a while to get our food. But overall an excellent experience. I highly recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent find!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Dinner was excellent. Always looking for something different to go to other than the chain restuarants. This is the place.Special Features:
- Loved itGladtohavegoneDined on 5/30/2014A nice, quiet atmosphere with a relaxing and romantic atmosphere. The food was great. My wife loved the variety of martini's available. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Food was delicious, very tender, even though steak was more pink than I'd ordered. Vegees were delicious as well, but skimpy. Bananas Foster was pretty much ice cream soup by the time it was brought to the table . Place was rather empty for a Friday at 7.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun4allDined on 5/23/2014We had a party of 12 for a Birthday Celebration. We had our own dining area, excellent food and very attentive service. The music from the lounge was right outside our room and the sound and quality was excellent background. We were able to enjoy the music and still converse and enjoy our personal conversations. The menu was varied, and offered a nice selection for our large group. The whole group was pleased with their selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dinning at its bestRONZDined on 5/17/2014There were six guest present for dinner and everyone agreed that the food was excellent. The steak was prepared as ordered and all off the other food was hot and tasty. The server was friendly and courteous. The atmosphere was pleasant, but needed updating. The beverage list was superior and served at the proper temperature. The seating was comfortable and not crowded. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone that enjoys fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night specialSomewhatregularsDined on 5/16/2014We went specifically for the date night special; French Onion soup (Tom makes the best), a huge Porterhouse steak with carrots and mashed potatoes, and a variation on Bananas Foster for dessert. Delicious! The steak was very tender and flavorful with plenty of meat for both of us. We paired it with a bottle of Petite Syrah that was excellent. I would have preferred that the bananas be sliced a little smaller but that is a very minor observation. A great meal and a great deal. I hope that they do more specials like this.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Had been to Match Works in the past and the food was very good, quality was good. When we saw the Mother's Day menu we we pretty excited! When they brought the cheese plate out I knew we were in trouble. It was 4 slices of cheddar cheese 4 chunks of Swiss cheese that you could by at Marc's. Nothing special. Th e hummus was tasteless and watery. Didn't have the deviled eggs. Everyone was happy with the salad and bread. I ordered manicotti for my entre. It was ok, but not hot. They barely put it in the oven. The cheese was just melted on top, not browned to make the dish look inviting. For dessert most of the party got the carrot cake and it was so dry it wasn't edible. All in all it was disappointing and definitely not worth $38.00!
- The following 121 reviews are from the Match Works Tavern reviews archive.
- Quiet and Lovely!Kathy75Dined on 4/30/2014I took my friend to The match Works for her birthday and we had a lovely lunch. Service was very good, food was outstanding and ambiance was lovely. I 10 on a scale of 10. They overheard my saying something to my friend about her birthday and surprised us with a delicious piece of carrot cake with candle and all!Special Features:
- Fond FarewellOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014We had a dinner for one of our team members who is departing. Food and service were exceptional.Special Features:
- Beyond Expectations for EasterluvLCDined on 4/20/2014Everything was perfect. I had a shrimp cocktail (they were 3" long) cooked perfectly and enough to share a piece with my daughter(5 large shrimp) She had the smoked trout bruschetta and shared one of them with me and even gave one of the deviled eggs up. For our second course I had the salmon over a freshly made crunchy potato pancake with a creamy dill sauce and she had the steamship round perfectly medium rare with delicious real mashed potatoes I had creme brulee that was classically perfect and the carrot cake was the best I have ever had with a pineapple filling drizzled with a salted caramel sauce. I hope they have the carrot cake for Mother's Day. We made reservations for Mother's Day on our way out.Special Features:
- happy easternatalieDined on 4/20/2014our home had a last minute plumbing issue, so we needed to find something near our home and a last minute find. this restaurant was just perfect. handicap accessible, low noise (which was good as we had an elderly person with us with hearing issues) and the food and service was fantastic. price was great for a 3-course meal. we will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014For the price, the portions should have been bigger. Nice atmosphere, good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchNoNameDined on 4/20/2014Good food and good service but was a little noisy for our taste. Sounds seemed to bounce off walls and ceiling. The ham had a sauce over it that wasn't mentioned on the menu but was surprisingly good. Felt a little rushed for an Easter Brunch even though the restaurant busy but not crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedFoodie4LifeDined on 4/18/2014The negatives: I got the lobster manicotti; a special. While it was tasty, and the pasta homemade, the lobster was cooked to death and entirely too tough. Additionally, for $30 a dish, I would have expected it to have included salad, or larger portion, to justify the cost. I have no problem paying $30 a meal, but two moderately-sized manicotti was definitely not worth the cost. Also, the decor is outdated and the bathrooms need serious upgrades. The positives: the homemade lemon blueberry cheesecake was amazing; and the espresso-chocolate mousse was one of the best things I have ever eaten - ever. Seriously-ever. The homemade bread was also quite delightful, and the staff was beyond amazing.Special Features:
- intimate with great foodluvLCDined on 3/22/2014I had gone to Match Works Tavern years ago and was excited to try it again. We ordered the Maine Lobster Bisque as an appetizer. It came out quickly along with some warm and very tasty bread. I ordered the Braised Beef Short Rib and was not disappointed. My boyfriend had the cod which was one of the specials that night and commented on how happy he was to go with this special.Good food with great service and an intimate atmosphere made this an excellent "date night" chose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceluvLCDined on 3/21/2014Drinks at the bar great. Wine recommendations from Genny perfect. We shared several specials, smoked salmon and trout mousse bruschetta, crab stuffed salmon with a delicious light citrus sauce, house-made lobster manicotti (they let us order 1/2 portion to taste) land we also asked to order just one piece of perch to try. Everything was delicious. I have not had a dining experience like this in a very long time. A nice treat. We will be back soon. Everyone there was so nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Time Here!luvLCDined on 3/10/2014Fresh lobster bisque, fresh roasted beet salad, braised lamb and the house made manicotti...hands on service chefs presence in the food...two thumbs up. We will be back next week!Special Features:
- Fat Tuesday Mardi Gras SpecialSomewhatregularsDined on 3/4/2014I love Cajun cooking so when I saw that Chef Tom was doing a Mardi Gras dinner I knew I had to go. We had the Louisiana Hot wings for an appetizer. Nice and meaty, hot and crispy, the sauce was not too spicy and had a little something in it to knock back the vinegar bite. Delicious! I had the Blackened Grouper which was also delicious. The rice under the fish, though it had good flavor was only lukewarm. My partner had the Sirloin Steak. She did not care much for the creole mustard sauce( not enough mustard) or the crab mashers (too fishy) but she did like the steak, which was perfectly cooked. Apparently our server was a fill-in and so service was lacking but all-in-all we enjoyed ourselves and will be back to enjoy the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic place, we loved itSusanDined on 3/1/2014I didn't know this place was so close to our house until Open Table showed it when I looked this weekend. Fantastic food, I especially loved the braised short rib and my Tavern Greens salad with some heavenly crispy cheese medallions. Our server was incredibly knowledgable about the food, and even suggested a beer that I loved. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Such a lovely dinner. Appetizers, salad, main courses all delicious. Very special and very well reprepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2014The food was outstanding, the service was knowledgeable and attentive. A must for those seeking an upscale food experience with fresh ingredients!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceRayandJVIPDined on 2/7/2014What a gem! Everything else in the Match Works has crashed and burned but this is a great spot with an excellent staff and a very nice menu. The ambiance is wonderful - very tasteful and comfortable. This will definitely be a regular stop from now on.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back.Foghorn31Dined on 2/1/2014Great wine selection, specials that really are, servers that treat you right and a host/owner that wants your evening to be a great experience. You can't ask for more. We will be making another reservation soon.Special Features:
- Look for This One!BillDined on 1/23/2014This restaurant is worth looking for, as the setting is truly wonderful and service delightful. Our wine was a delicious surprise, and the food outstanding. Definitely a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matchworks Jan 2014MiamiQVIPDined on 1/11/2014We had dinner here because we were given a gift certificate. The venue is wonderful - nicely decorated, spacious, you can carry on a conversation without raising your voice. However, our table by the window was chilly - I had to keep my jacket on for the whole meal. Food was good - in fact the braised lamb was a real hit with my husband, My pumpkin ravioli was delicious but came out of the kitchen lukewarm. I didn't send it back because I didn't want to wait - it was edible,but certainly would have been much better a little warmer. The appetizers - lobster bisque and a calamari special - were both excellent. Service was a little annoying because there was little coordination among servers. Too much repeat requests by different people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great in all ways!4dinersDined on 1/4/2014We dined there one night before attending a movie. Everything was excellent. We were in a bit of a hurry so decided we need to go back soon and just enjoy the evening there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EveKit1Dined on 12/31/2013We had dinner with our 17 year old, 19 year old and her boyfriend on New Year's eve. Limited menu was not appealing to our son-everything served on top of mashed potatoes! Food was OK-nothing great. Restaurant not packed, so not sure why there wasn't a regular menu because nothing was out of this world special on the offered menu. Our server was not great-very personable, slow, and forgot my husband and I had not ordered ala carte, and we didn't get our salads which were part of the 4 course selection, so he did change it. Atmosphere pleasant, wine and bar list good. Good for a quiet dinner with friends I would say. Not sure if we would go again as it was nothing special.Special Features:
- BorderlineOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013Slow service Food - I wouldn't go back for it. (so-so) Pricey Nice Ambience QuietSpecial Features:
- Nice addition to MentorColMarieDined on 12/23/2013The atmosphere was nice, the food was very good, & our service was great too! We went in to try it out & would def. go back again! Nice for a special occasion too.Special Features:
- Great dinnersnipsVIPDined on 11/22/2013We enjoyed our latest visit to Match Works. Our meals were the the Lobster Ravioli and Onion soup and the Berkshire Pork Chop and Beet Salad. Both meals were delicious and presented well. This was perhaps the best meal we have had here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This review is long over due.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/16/2013This review is long over due. We've been fan's of the Quick's since the Epiq days and the good food and outstanding service continues at the Matchworks. From the cod to the steaks, everything here is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/14/2013It was so bad. Our appetizer of crab cakes were the best part and that took 27 minutes. I could understand if they were busy but we were one of three tables. The food came out undersized, dry and cold. When we mentioned it they told us they would give us a VIP card for next time. We didn't take it because we won't ever be back.
- Game mealsPappaputterVIPDined on 11/1/2013I had the Elk and it was great! The food here is consistently good. Always some live music on Friday, really good choice for a end of the week dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.