MATC Cuisine Restaurant
1015 N 6th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53233Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
MATC Cuisine Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://matc.edu/
- Phone: 4142976697x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: 11:15am - 12:15pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Reiss/Jack Kaestner/Michelle Evans
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from MATC Cuisine Restaurant
Cuisine Restaurant is Milwaukee Area Technical College’s student operated upscale restaurant. The restaurant features a seasonal menu including appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts. Food is prepared by Culinary Arts students in their final semester under the supervision of Culinary Instructors.Continued
Customers from the community are encouraged to dine with us. For a unique experience, book the ‘chef’s’ table (up to 6 guests). Reservations are recommended.
Customers from the community are encouraged to dine with us. For a unique experience, book the ‘chef’s’ table (up to 6 guests). Reservations are recommended.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
MATC Cuisine Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (19)great for lunch (18)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (9)special occasion (3)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Hidden GemarmchairchefDined on 10/9/2014Cuisine consistently prepares 5-star dishes that would be at home on a high-end restaurant menu. Dishes are imaginative and reflect the superb training this program provides. Use of locally sourced ingredients connects future chefs with farmers and producers. We enjoyed chatting with the student chefs after lunch.Special Features:
- Front room has inconsistent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/8/2014The food was great. The portion sizes were consistent with a lunch offering, and the prices were fair. In the front room, with multiple servers and bussers working tables, it seemed like the left hand didn't know what the right was doing. The waitress came and asked the diner at the next table if she would like some dessert. "Why, no! My entree is missing because I sent it back to the kitchen." (lobster was a shade undercooked for her preference) The server never asked if the food was OK.Special Features:
- Best secret in town!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014Had lunch on a Wednesday afternoon at Cuisine, and it was delightful. The restaurant is beautiful, and I enjoyed being able to watch the kitchen on one of the several wide screen tvs. The view of outside was also nice. The salad was delicious as was the lobster bisque. My entree was a hanger steak which was tender and tasty. The side dish was a potato stack with layers of thinly sliced white potatoes and the occasional layer of sweet potato. Service was excellent, and the chef stopped at the table before we left. Cuisine is a hidden treasure!Special Features:
- Good eats, super cheappoohbearDined on 10/2/2014Being an educational setting where students learn to hone their craft, MATC Cuisine Restaurant, offers the general public a chance to partake in classic dishes as well as new and trendy menu items. While service can sometimes be slow with large orders the instructors emphasize quality over quantity, the wait is worth it. The salads are very fresh and seasonally inspired and the starters/small plates offer a great view into the entrees. There is an emphasis on providing local seasonal ingredients for almost every course. The entrees that my wife and I ordered was the locally farmed Char and a duet of duck. Everything about the fish was delicious, the duck needed a bit more seasoning but it didn't stop us from licking our plates clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and affordabletravelingqueenDined on 9/30/2014This was fine dining at a great price. Loved the presentation and taste of everything. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a new experience in Milwaukee.Special Features:
- Amazing ExperienceTboneDined on 9/24/2014The food was divine, our server was excellent! The head and sous chefs came out to our tables. The price was reasonable. You would never know the restaurant is staffed by students (who are just learning their trade). I definitely will return in the near future.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014Cuisine is truly a gem in Milwaukee. The food is outstanding, imaginative, and delicious. The service is great. The price is right. And the parking is very easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with a Friendmargie7hdwiDined on 9/17/2014I have been a fan of MATC's Cuisine Restaurant for years. Their new location on the first floor of the Administration building is more accessible and more attractive ((although still echoing the '50's). I am happy to be a customer and wish them well.Special Features:
- Choose not to review at this time.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014As this was our first dining experience at MATC, I choose not to review at this time. We may decide to return for a second meal and I'd like to leave it at that. Thanks for sending the feedback.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2014Great food and presentation...very enthusiastic and competent staff.Special Features:
- Always SatisfiedGuestDined on 9/10/2014I eat at Cuisine a handful of times each year and I'm always very satisfied. The food is exceptional and it's exciting to know that the students who are serving and cooking are in class being prepared for a career.Special Features:
- The following 271 reviews are from the MATC Cuisine Restaurant reviews archive.
- Student ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/8/2014The restueant is completly run by the MATC culinary school students as a hands on learning experience. The food is excellent and very reasonably priced. You have to give the servers and kitchen a little slack as they learn how a resturant is run.Special Features:
- Very Good Food, Reasonably PricedDiningDivaDined on 5/8/2014Our group of ladies visited Cuisine at MATC recently. We really enjoyed the food and the experience. Raves were heard about the lobster -- both for the great taste and for the price. The same was said about the steak. We enjoyed talking with the students about their experiences in school and about their future plans. We would highly recommend Cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-timersuzieqDined on 5/7/2014What a fabulous find for our first visit to the MATC restaurant! Food exceeded our expectations of both flavor and presentation. Service was excellent - very friendly staff. We'll be back in the fall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon appetitBonappetitDined on 5/7/2014I was able to enjoy the delicious food at The Cuisine three times this last year. Each visit was a dining experience. I hope to go more often next year. Kudos to everyone! Stop at the bakery too if you have time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the city's best kept secretsKimMDined on 5/1/2014Cuisine, on the campus of Milwaukee Area Technical College's downtown campus, is a dining gem. It's a teaching lab for students in the school's Culinary Arts program. Prices are modest and the food is excellent. Support the students and enjoy a great meal. The restaurant only serves lunch.Special Features:
- critiqueQuickDined on 5/1/2014liked the view of the kitchen and dining room as we walked to the doorway from the front south entrance. Liked the way the way the staff dressed in attire. our server Alex was very courteous and helpful w/ questions about the menu. Service was just a bit slower than back in the Escoffier days. The friendly talk w/ the wait staff and dining instructor, made up for the waiting and the food was impressive and well worth the wait. I was past alumni from 1971; w/ a lot of change over the decades (which makes this business so-o interesting). I had the snapper which was very good, but the shrimp and avocado martini was very impressive. We plan to return in the Fall. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun outing for the teamAliciaDined on 5/1/2014We went as an outing for our work team. Many are foodies, so to sit in the kitchen was fun. The food was amazing and Bow Tie Thursday was a fun twist. What a fun little treasure for great food at and amazing price and you get to help out the scholarship fund with your tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FINE FOOD, EXCELLENT VALUErandyDined on 4/30/2014WORTH A TRIP DOWNTOWN SOME NOON. GREAT FOOD. WE HAD THE LAMB SPECIAL (ONLY OCCASIONALLY AVAILABLE AND NOT TO BE MISSED IF ITS ON THE MENU WHEN YOU GO!) AND FOUND IT EXCEPTIONAL. VERY REASONABLE PRICES YOU HELP SUPPORT A VERY WORTHY MATC CULINARY PROGRAMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Royal Dining!GreatfoodseekerDined on 4/30/2014Spectacular experience! My friends and I were treated to attentive floor service, outstanding food and beverage quality, and the obvious expertise of the instructors and student chefs! We enjoyed every morsel from the appetizers to dessert! Every entree looked mouth-watering, so we each ordered a different one and shared. Our meals were presented artistically and did NOT disappoint a bit! The shrimp martini appetizer was creatively-prepared and delicious! The lamb presented in two ways, the grilled snapper, the hangar steak, and the fresh Tuna Salade Nicoise were spectacular! I could have had my fish cooked in any number of ways...all tempting! The varied vegetable sides were uniquely-designed and healthfully-prepared. Must revisit MATC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/29/2014This was my third visit to Cuisine. We think it's great that these are students in training and they strive to provide a top notch experience. Food is very good and presentation is 4-star. The 'jumbotron' lets you view the kitchen. There was some miscommunication this time and we were forgotten by the waiters. Hostess had to step in and put in our order, thus service was slow. But, that being said I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Still LearningPickyWhenNessaryDined on 4/29/2014The menu is very innovative, but may be a little too innovative for a student-operated restaurant. Some of the basics were missed. The shrimp bisque, while wonderfully garnished lacked a good shrimp flavor and was overly salty. Entrees were good but there were some cooking temperature issues. Lastly, the Creme Brulee was not set and very runny. Overall a very good experience, but when compared with a "real" restaurant, it fell short.Special Features:
- CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/23/2014The service, food and ambiance exceeded our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Osso BucoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/22/2014All the other food was good, but the Osso Buco was dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice LunchMemoryLaneDined on 4/22/2014If you haven't been there you need to go. We read about Cuisine in the newspaper & wanted to take my parents down…my father taught at MATC 28 years ago. They didn't know where we were taking them. They were surprised. Nice variety of food offered. Reasonably priced. Good service. Atmosphere was really nice. We even got to see the cooks in the kitchen from monitors that were placed in the dining room. I'd recommend it. Everything was homemade. A good way to have a nice meal. Remember these are students working to become cooks… and if you come down with that in mind you'll love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- refreshing , interestingnoahbDined on 4/10/2014I only gave very good for service due to the inexperience of the student wait staff, the effort was there, but the experience was a little short, however, the wait staff was personable and very attentive. the food was excellent and the presentation first class. The restaurant sent out the menu for the week a few days before we went, and a phone call to us the day before to confirm attendance. The interior of the restaurant was clean , simple , and mostly black and white. We were greeted as we entered, and thanked as we left. NiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousolderwiserVIPDined on 4/8/2014Excellent meal preparation and service with style. Artisan cheese plate nicely presented and the cheese selections were perfect. Shrimp bisque soup seems to be one of the specialities at Cuisine and never disappoints...creamy and well flavored. Riviera Maya salad topped with some of the best grilled shrimp I've had in awhile. Prices are half of what you would pay at another restaurant. Kudos to this culinary program at MATC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MATCdelighteddinerDined on 4/8/2014The MATC dining experience at lunch is a wonderful experience. We had the earliest reservation, and I was pleased that we were out in a little over an hour. This is an opportunity for students to practice their skills. My friend and I each had the steak. I ordered mine medium rare, and she ordered her's medium. The steaks were more like medium and medium well, but where very tender and flavored excellently. The rest of the plate was also delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly Surprisedlv2etowtDined on 3/27/2014I thought I was going to have a nice lunch, but instead had a dining experience that could have been a five-star restaurant. The servers were attentive, the prices moderate, and the food was excellent. The restaurant is a hidden-gem inside MATC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchGigiDined on 3/6/2014I was impressed with the quality of the menu selection and the presentation of our lunch. MATC Cuisine is a little gem that I'm happy to have found.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful choicesphantomdinerDined on 3/5/2014Our first visit to Cuisine was a great success. It was during Lobsterfest and we were delighted with our lobster tail meals. The price was great and the service was excellent. Plus parking right across the street was only a dollar. I'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty grub, right price. But...LaLaLaLobsterDined on 3/4/2014The students serving us were a bit unsure of themselves. (Maybe a new batch?) The hostess for the day was introverted, wasn't sure where to seat us, forgot to beckon us when she decided on the table. Waitress took over for her and seated us. Waitress forgot our bread and checked our beverages only once, late in the meal. But she was friendly and attentive when we DID see her. (BIG PLUS: She never called us "guys".) We had salads, entrees and desserts; all were high quality, prepared well and attractively presented. Will definitely visit again. Potential diners: be patient and kind -- the "staff" are students rotating through the various positions. And they are serving lunch to a full room within a time constraint of 90 minutes.Special Features:
- Best Deal in TownLynnie812Dined on 3/4/2014The meals here are delicious, the wait staff friendly and good and all at bargain prices. I have never had a bad meal here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Love CUISINEgr8tcuisineDined on 2/13/2014Your food is GREAT........the best place to eat in town. Moderate prices are good too. I enjoy the quiet atmosphere and the pleasant staff. Thank you! I will keep returning and I tell everyone I meet. (though I hope it doesn't get so popular that I can't get a reservation.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star food, 3 star price!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/5/2014This place is amazing - second time I've been there and wow'd even more then the first. They do a great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good experience at CuisineJudyVIPDined on 2/5/2014We ate lunch at Cuisine the first week it was open in the spring semester. The kitchen and the dining room are staffed completely by students under the supervision of the teacher of the class they enrolled in to have this experience. The menu was lovely, enough choices for any diner. The menu employs a la carte pricing so there is some control over how much you spend and how much you eat. The students serving lunch were very attentive. Sometimes they were not as polished as servers in a fine dining restaurant but I am keeping in mind that this was the first week of service. This was not a fast lunch so choose a Tues. Wed or Thu when you have extra time to eat at Cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MATC CuisineDinnerDined on 2/5/2014Downtown location. A uplifting luncheon experience with a notable lunch menu, moderate prices, small modern dinning room, supports MATC students.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Food at Budget PricestinkmomfoodieDined on 2/5/2014I am a student at MATC and went for the first time to Cuisine last year. Our most recent visit was last week. We were early and had to walk around campus a bit before we were seated. The staff is training culinary students and some hiccups can occur. We were seated so we couldn't watch the show on the monitors. I think that's part of the fun of eating there. You get to see the students prepare your food. My hubby and I each had a appetizer. I think mine was better! I had some a smoked trout and vegetable stack. Our entrees were both delicious. I had the braised beef and my husband went for the steak. A must stop for foodies.Special Features:
- Wonderful menu well executed.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/4/2014Wonderful menu well executed. Enjoyed my meal very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time DinerJustMeDined on 12/11/2013This was my first experience at Cuisine. My biggest regret is that I waited until the last serving day. The meal started out with a complementary eggplant & olive appetizer. It was something I wouldn't have ordered, but to my surprise it was very delicious. Everyone at our table ordered something different; lobster, pork, steak & fish. There was a small delay in getting the food to the table, but we enjoyed watching the chefs prepared the plates on the TV screens. 2 Chef's came out to the table to insure we were enjoying our meal. To apologize for the delay, we were provided with a dessert sampler. There was chocolate, blueberries, sorbets and ice creams. We can't wait until February when Cuisine reopens. Awesome job students!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.