110 North Wayne Avenue
Wayne, PA 19087Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matadorrestaurante.com/
- Phone: (610) 688-6282
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Monday - Saturday 11:00am-2:00am
Sunday: Brunch 10:00am - 3:00pm, Dinner- 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar Open til 2am every night
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Matthew Pressler
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Flamenco dancers every second Saturday of the month. Check out our Facebook or website for up to date information.
- Special Events: Monthly wine tastings, wine dinners, tequila tastings and tequila dinners. Please check our website for up to date information.
A word from Matador
Matador is a tapas style restaurant featuring authentic Spanish and Mexican cuisine created by Chef Matthew Pressler. Providing a unique combination of outstanding food and drinks in a warm and inviting atmosphere. We have created a sophisticated space with a relaxed feel, an old world ambiance with modern touches that transports you when you walk through the door. Come in for lunch or dinner and taste our authentic small plates or our specialty entrees. Superb wine list of over 100 bottles. The areas premier and largest selection of tequilas. Now with more than 120 types of fine Tequila and Mescals, all served in the finest Reidel Tequila glassware. Try many of our fun specialty margaritas and signature cocktails. Matador is also a great place to spend your Happy Hour with free tapas. Come relax with a date or a group of friends for any occasion or special event and enjoy the great food. Also a great place to enjoy something to sip and nibble on before or after catching a movie.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Matador - Best Restaurants in Wayne ›
Matador reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (23)fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (21)vibrant bar scene (15)special occasion (13)great for lunch (11)hot spot (9)great for outdoor dining (9)romantic (8)late-night find (7)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014I have been to Matador several times and have to say my dinner Friday night was disappointing. The service was for lack of a better word, absent. Our waitress was not attentive at all. We ordered the calamari and it was awful. The entire plate sat on the table untouched. When our waitress finally came by to ask about boxing things up I said no thanks to the calamari since we didn't enjoy the dish. Her response? Ok...can I boc anything else? The food was just mediocre. Have to say I wouldn't rush back anytime soon.
- bkhmollyDined on 11/15/2014Small portion of soup which cost for $8 was over priced and when served it was not hot. Cap. and express - LUKE WARM. The wait staff was very good. The shrimp small plate was excellent. Sangria - very good. We did not think for the price, the overall meal was worth it. This was the second time we had tried this restaurant. The first time, when they first opened, it was worse and we didn't go back until a friend said it was excellent. The food is very mild so if you like spice, you will have to tell them. When we asked for hot sauce, we had to wait and they brought us a tiny amount in a small metal cup versus a bottle. Their special pork dish which the menu states is available on Friday and Saturday nights only is only available on the first Friday and Saturday of the month.
- Couldn't find our Open Table ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/14/2014The hostess at matador could not find the reservation that I made with matador. My reservation was 7pm on Friday 11/14. There must be wrong with their system or the communication between Open Table and Matador. I had the email confirmation from Matador on my phone and I showed that to the receptionist. She accepted that and gave us a table. I am concerned that maybe this could happen again at Matador or another restaurant and I will not get a table next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Mexicanhoward2VIPDined on 11/12/2014Ate outside on last "Indian Summer" day, good menu, good service and terrific fajitas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocrePapillonDined on 11/8/2014Advertised as Spanish tapas. Found Mexican tapas. Food was average. No reason to go back.
- See you next month!mikki4sushiDined on 11/5/2014Had planned our Girls Night here but could not change the reservation for more people. No one from Matador responded even to my email or Open Table requests. We will try next month and hope for a good experience since have been to Matador before and enjoyed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perennial FavoriteJnk2003Dined on 10/11/2014The table-side guacamole is a must. Lots of fantastic options. We always grab a few of our favorites & try a few new items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by a friend, so I made a reservation for a birthday celebration. We left so disappointed. While we were waiting for our table to be ready, we sat at a high top table at the bar. They never cleaned the table and we were told we needed to go to the bar to get drinks. It took us ten minutes to get his attention. When we got our Margaritas, they had very little tequila in them. We were seated upstairs at a table that was dark. To see the menu or our food we needed to use our cell phones. The service at our table was extremely poor. We eventually complained to the hostess to get better service. All in all we were very disappointed!
- This was my second time to Matadorbpe1Dined on 9/16/2014and the food and service was outstanding. Shout out to Jose our server who was great...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican/Spanish FoodNalaDined on 9/13/2014I have been to this restaurant a few times and have enjoyed it every time I have gone. This place has GREAT cocktails and all the dishes I have ordered there have been very, very good. The guacamole is excellent. If you like Alma de Cuba in the city, I think this is a suburban version of it, though more laid back and not quite as upscale. Our waiter David (mexican) was very friendly and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteMattDined on 9/4/2014I'm constantly finding myself comparing all Spanish style tapas restaurants to Matador. It's tough competition, Matador usually always comes out on top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodKennyDined on 9/2/2014With all the choices now available in Wayne for dining, Matador continues to offer great Mexican food for a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again...a great experience!gmgirlDined on 8/21/2014We have always enjoyed the food and service here. On this visit, we had a terrific server, Veronica, who was the perfect level of helpful and attentive without being the least bit intrusive. The food is always delicious. Favorites are the chick pea appetizer and the paella, which was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014The scene is cool and trendy however the food and margaritas were over priced. Two people from our party (including myself) ordered the crab cakes and the only notable taste was salt. We both returned the crab cakes (which we never do) and reordered. I ordered a vegetable quesadilla as I do not eat meat and it was brought out with chicken. Needless to say this was returned as well and we decided to call it a night. I've heard great things about Matador and was excited to try it so I was pretty disappointed in the overall experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014For those who appreciate something other than a sandwich for lunch a tapas menu is great. For those who like the fellowship of sharing a variety of tastings with good friends a tapas menu is great. For those who enjoy flavorful, quality food the Matador Tapas menu is especially great. I've have eaten at this restaurant three times and have found high quality food and service each time.Special Features:
- Good. Not great.DamianDined on 8/12/2014Hoping for more. Drinks were expensive and not very alcoholic. My mojito was pretty much club soda with line and mint. Wife's margarita - same problem. No tequila. Food was good, but several dishes - we ordered around 11 total for the table - were very salty. VERY SALTY. Those that weren't, were very tasty. I wish I could give it a better review because I think the potential is there.
- Such a nice timeGreatdatenightDined on 8/11/2014My wife and I had a great meal---very good Sangrias--and a chance to talk and enjoy each others' company at supper the other night. The wait staff was friendly and informative. We enjoyed it all very much!Special Features:
- The following 199 reviews are from the Matador reviews archive.
- Quiet Lunch...PerfectpointerbdDined on 7/14/2014This was my second visit to Matador and while much quieter than dinner visit....was still superb. The service was attentive but not intrusive and i just love the Spanish/Mexican influenced atmosphere. The table-made guacamole is a must, as is the perfectly flavored white Sangria. My chicken Caesar Salad was so different from anything I've had anywhere else and was delcious. I love this place and will keep going back. End of story.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/11/2014always enjoy bringing new people here to experience the food & the fun of Matador!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bpe1Dined on 7/10/2014Great food, great friendly service and great ambience.Special Features:
- Ole to Matador!pointerbdDined on 6/26/2014This place really takes the bull by the horns in its delivery of awesome drinks(try the Sangria) at the cozy wooden bar. I was instantly transported to a Spanish tapas bar with an exceptional offering of small plates, most of which are designed nicely for sharing. We opted to sit upstairs as we wanted the highly-touted tablemade guacamole (which was not offered outdoors we were told). The guac and house made chips were worth the trip in themselves. We sampled/shared a variety of tapas (including the guacamole we had 6 for the 3 of us) and were more than sufficiently full. But not so much that we didn't have room for the chocolate churros with chocolate dipping sauce- a perfect ending to a perfect meal. I cant wait to go back!Special Features:
- Waiter gave false informationjohnny129Dined on 6/20/2014Had a reservation for dinner on Friday and arrived promptly before happy hour was over. Was told that a pitcher of margaritas was a better deal than the $5 margarita happy hour special that was going on so we proceeded to order the pitcher. When we received the bill, we were charged $48 for a pitcher!!!! If we would have purchased the 5-6 happy hour margaritas (the same amount as in a pitcher) separately that would have totaled $25/$30. I feel that I was lied to and would never pay that much for a pitcher of anything. I will think twice before going back to the Matador, overpriced food and margaritas.Special Features:
- Worth tryingPopiDined on 6/15/2014We ordered the exotic mushrooms, the calamari and the skirt steak from the tapas menu. Everything was absolutely delicious, however, the portions especially the mushrooms and calamari were minuscule. For the rest of the meal the three of the four diners ordered the skirt steak fajitas which although delicious were wanting in the area of accompaniment. I ordered the crab cakes which were very tasty but somewhat pale looking. Not the best in appearance. The corn that came with the crab cakes was heavenly though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodSurprisedVIPDined on 6/14/2014We very much enjoyed Matador, and tried many of the small plates they offer. We tried everything from the skirt steak to the scallops, and every dish was tasty and enjoyable. The only disappointment was the olive selection....not a very exciting blend, and some were sour. The one drawback was the bill....not a place to go on a budget.Special Features:
- Just Stopped InblendedlibVIPDined on 6/14/2014Had never been there but was checking out wayne and walked by the various restaurants. Liked the look of the menu so i made a reservation. Turned out to be really good. I would recommend it.Special Features:
- group snacksGenyDined on 6/11/2014Great for snacks and drinks to network and still be able to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dinner, but a little pricey.Tsukuba79Dined on 6/9/2014Good bar, with nice cocktail & beer selection. The dishes were all solid, and some outstanding (esp. garlic shrimp, chicken & rice with mole). As with most tapas restaurants, the tab builds quickly. Dinner for 2 was $100, including gratuities, for 2 drinks, 4 dishes, and 2 desserts. We don't usually get dessert, but it was a special occasion. Surprising mix of Mexican & Spanish dishes, but it works. Good number of offerings. Really great service; friendly & knowledgeable. Decor is a bit dated, but fine. It was quiet and half-empty, but it was a Monday night. We plan to come back, with more friends. We think 3 couples would be a good size group, for optimal sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GuacpsucheerVIPDined on 6/7/2014Always love the fresh made guacamole here. The fresh salsa is a great compliment as well. I enjoy the lunch menu more than the dinner menu but that's just me. Bon appetit!Special Features:
- Love it!LoudDined on 5/28/2014I'm so glad I tried Matador. What a terrific restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You gotta try it!LoudDined on 5/20/2014Wow! I loved this place. The food, atmosphere, and service was terrific!!Special Features:
- Good but don't get the guacfoodzVIPDined on 5/16/2014Food was tasty but the guac is just two mashed up avocados. No cilantro. No lime. No tomato. Very disappointing and also $10. Everything else was tasty...not over the top, but good. Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad brunch servicefamilyof6Dined on 5/11/2014I have been he before for dinner and had good service. The hostess was very friendly. The waitress had is and only one other table when we sat down. It took 15 minutes to get our drinks for which she didn't take till we had been at the table for almost 10 minutes already. We were getting ready to leave but it was Mothers Day and I was hungry. She also dismissed questions about the menu and only refilled coffee when asked twice. She bright extra glasses when we didn't ask for them because she tight we didn't have them, but then left them and the large menus till we asked her to clear them and she never cleared food plates. We were very disappointed. We eat out frequently and this was the wrist service I can remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful for celebratingPartyOf2PlusDined on 5/4/2014Went here with a party of 12 to celebrate a friend's anniversary. The staff was attentive without being pushy at all. We had some PICKY margarita drinkers in our party and they were very pleased. The food was very good. The sombrero for the couple of honor was a nice touch also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst place off the main line!SpanishdudDined on 5/1/2014Horrible and overpriced! Our server was pretty clueless, didn't tell us the specials and didn't know what the fresh fish of the day was. Food came out in drips and drabs and one dish was cold. All in all....👎Special Features:
- A food adventure in the suburbsJillBVIPDined on 4/5/2014There's a lot to choose from at Matador from the more exotic Spanish to more familiar Mexican food. My husband and I opted for the less traditional and chose anchovies, fried goat cheese with honey, a Spanish salad blend, smoked chicken stuffed ancho chile and crabmeat, mango, and avocado flatbread. Service was perfect especially after requesting a more paced meal as we had plenty of time and didn't need to dine and dash. Everything we tried was satisfying to the palate and we topped it all off with flan for dessert. The only weak part of the meal was the wine choices we made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tapas around, hands down!MattDined on 3/26/2014Been to matador more times than I can count and have never been disappointed by any dish I've ever ordered. Food is top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey - 2 doors down hasTom1026VIPDined on 2/23/2014Pricey - 2 doors down has much more reasonable pricesI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!gmgirlDined on 2/10/2014Went to Matador for a girls night out and had a wonderful experience. Our server, Daniel, was attentive without being intrusive and always arrived at the perfect moment for us to order another glass of wine or plate of something delicious. The tapas menu is exceptional and it's a lot of fun to order a variety and try everything. This is my third visit to Matador and it's been terrific each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchJeanVIPDined on 2/2/2014Matador has an extensive brunch menu featuring tapas as well as more traditional brunch fare including a great burger and a variety of benedicts . Bottomless mimosas and make your own Bloody Mary bar are a great addition to the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My daughter had her 16th birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2014My daughter had her 16th birthday at Matador. The service was amazing and she and her friends loved it.Special Features: