406 SW 13th Avenue
Portland, OR 97205Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.masusushi.com/
- Phone: (503) 221-6278
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thu: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Fri 11:30am - midnight; Saturday 4:00pm - midnight; Sunday 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Ryan Roadhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Special Events: Please call for details.
A word from Masu Sushi
Portland's second story sushi haven: unique by design, extraordinary in quality. Serving Portland's largest and freshest selection of fish since 2004. Imitated but never equalled. Locally owned and family operated.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Masu Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)special occasion (16)neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (14)romantic (14)hot spot (11)great for lunch (9)late-night find (8)notable wine list (5)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great findjillandamyVIPDined on 11/22/2014We've been going to the same 2 or 3 sushi places for years but just read something on this place and wanted to try it. Be warned that the prices are steep compared to other sushi dining. Dinner for two will set you back $80-100 if you drink any alcohol. That being said, the food, service and vibe are excellent. We will be back for future date nights for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi Bar GreatnessTDC6Dined on 11/14/2014I was in town for a conference and craving sushi. I was a single so was sat at the bar. The sushi chefs at the bar were AWESOME. Very skilled and made me exactly what I was after. The cuts of sashimi were HUGE and tasty fresh. The Nigiri was also a great variety and well done. The cocktail with Makers Mark was fresh and delicious. Seemed like there was a great Friday night crowd and all who dined next to me at the bar were happy. Once local said I picked the best sushi place by far in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all around experiencexxxxVIPDined on 11/12/2014This was my first time at this restaurant. Everything was perfect. The sushi was absolutely fabulous. So fresh and delicious. Our wait person was very pleasant as was the host. The noise level was fine. Our entire experience was excellent and we will definitely be back. Highly recommend this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No more late night happy hourSkyBirdDined on 11/7/2014I used to love this place for their late night happy hour, and quality, I had not been back there in a quite some time, and although the website said there was a late night happy hour the night we were there, the night we arrived, the waitress said they no longer honored the late night happy hour. This was my go to place for late night sushi... but based on no late night happy hour, and a seemingly obvious shift in quality in the fish we had, I'm not sure I'm excited to return as I once was.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best sushi I've ever hadBroxxiDined on 11/1/2014I came in to Masu with high expectations and left with them exceded. The service was friendly, helpful and attentive. Our waiter was enthusiastic about sake, and was very happy to give us a small course on it and their extensive sake list. Our drinks were impeccable and kept full. The food was incredible. I was sure I'd die of indulgence while eating the Hokkaido scallops! It was all so fresh, and the presentation was gorgeous. Try the Lotus roll! The price point is high, but it is sooo beyond worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sushi- good varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/31/2014Recommended for excellent Sushi, maybe best in Portland. Prices are commensurate with the quality. Beer list should be expanded.Special Features:
- chef's choice is fun & yummyNWneighborDined on 10/23/2014We were 4 and had the charming server bring us her recommendations. Food is excellent as well as the service. Bottles of wine were a little on the pricey end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSamAdamsVIPDined on 10/8/2014Light, open, lots of natural wood and great great food, service and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best miso soup in town!locally1VIPDined on 9/10/2014They really have the best miso soup in town! Sushi is delicious and hot dishes are perfect. It's pricy, but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotAZRockDined on 9/6/2014Loved this place, we will be back. A little pricey for what you get - (2 crab sushi pieces 8 dollars? - come on) but all in all a great little romantic spot. Super quiet, great staff. We will be going back.Special Features:
- Always the bestCaroleZoomVIPDined on 8/9/2014Having eaten at Masu years ago, I booked a birthday dinner with friends. Stellar service, amazing food and gorgeous atmosphere. Masu is always the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 324 reviews are from the Masu Sushi reviews archive.
- Good meal and good serviceDallasdinerVIPDined on 7/21/2014We took our son here for a birthday dinner for out first visit. Very enjoyable evening. We had selections off the hot and cold menus as well as sushi. Highlights were the kale salad and black cod off the menu. The server was accommodating to one of our party who wasn't adventurous and offered shrimp tempura for him, which was appreciated. The server was very knowledgeable about the sushi, sashimi and nigiri and made great recommendations. His sake recommendations were very good. Another highlight was dessert - the marionberry sorbet was a perfect ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatingoutDined on 7/21/2014From the greeting to the bill at the end, this was an excellent experience.Special Features:
- Tasty TreatsthinkelsewhereDined on 7/18/2014We continue to be pleased with the food and the service at Masu. We almost visit this restaurant weekly, and rarely find anything to be stumped for what to order on the tasty menu. Most notable this week was the albacore tuna, which was exceptionally fresh.Special Features:
- Very accomodatingKHinSeattleVIPDined on 7/9/2014The restaurant was great - when we mentioned we had sensitivities for shellfish our waitress took it very seriously -making sure to note it on our card. The food was pretty good and they gave us good pours on our wine. 2. The menu didn't have the best descriptions of some of the rolls. There were descriptions for their fancy rolls, but on general ones, there were none. I've found that not all sushi restaurants make all 'regular' rolls the same.
- Calamari is out of this world!jalcottDined on 7/7/2014I make it a point to visit this restaurant every chance I get to Portland. Sometimes I'll go multiple nights in a row. The calamari appetizer is unbelievable: "calamari sautéed in garlic, serrano and shottsuru topped with cilantro salad". Give it a try.Special Features:
- GFromOOTDined on 7/5/2014Here are my suggestions for the restaurant: 1) Menue need updated so we know what to expect 2) The portion is too small for an entrée I won't be back!
- yum!jayerDined on 7/4/2014The sushi was very fresh and delicious with satisfying portions. The Japanese snapper was on the specials list and was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!JohnnySteeleDined on 7/1/2014Wonderful vibe, attentive service and over the top fresh, delicious sushi. Only wish I have is maybe a budget friendly sushi option for lunch. Bill was pretty steep for 4 people and we didn't even have alcohol! Regardless, you definitely get what you pay for. Awesome flavors, variety and quick turn around after your order. I plan on gong back as much as my wallet will let me!Special Features:
- Amazing Nihon Niori Dinning!TheRandomHERODined on 6/15/2014This was my first, and most definetly not gonna be last, visit. The ambieance is awesome, very modern/traditional and comfortable. Not crowded or over priced. Its 2nd story location makes for an open view and not have to see passing traffic or pedestrian traffic. Finally the food. Fresh ingredients delivered weekly, means everything was prime, delicious and worth every penny. I recomend the omakase!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014This is my husbands favorite sushi restaurant. He says it is the best sushi in town. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CherylVIPDined on 6/12/2014I regularly dine at Masu and go back because the food is nicely plated, and tastes good.Special Features:
- New Wave Sushi.EscheidtVIPDined on 6/11/2014The sushi was fabulous!!! Nice little 'new wave' twist to the Sushi and rolls. The service was also great but most important the food tasted great and was fresh!Special Features:
- absolutely wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Thus restaurant serve the best sushi I've ever eaten. Combined with the great service and lovely, peaceful ambience, we had a stellar time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative sushi, really fresh fishOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014We were there for lunch but it looks like it would have a great bar scene. Rolls were creative and the side dishes were far beyond the average sushi place.Special Features:
- The BestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014We have eaten Sushi all over and this is by far one of the best places ever. The staff are amazing and the owners do an outstanding job to make every patron feel comfortable. Thank you for the great food and service..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tinpdxDined on 5/25/2014Great atmosphere, great food and drink. Our favorite PDX sushi pick for 10 years now! Thank you.Special Features:
- Hidden GemDaveDined on 5/16/2014I had been in Masu's basement six or seven times and never knew a sushi restaurant was upstairs...because in this case, the "basement" is chocolate shop Cacao; over which Masu Sushi is located. Throw-in a few trees for disguise and a non-descript doorway with an easy-to-miss sign for an entrance, and Masu is easy to overlook. We started with seaweed salad, miso soup, and sautéed calamari and I have to say, the calamari and miso are some of the best I've ever had. Stand-out sushi included the Bobby lo maki and a tomago nigiri with perfect flavor and texture and just a touch of rice stuffed into a clever slit made in the nigiri. Top it all off with an impressive sake list and Masu easily makes my list of top three sushi joints in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DaydihughesVIPDined on 5/11/2014We arrived for our Mother's day supper around 4 pm to find out it was sushi happy hour until 5. BONUS!!!! MS has an Japanese eggplant appetizer that is flash fried with a miso honey(?) glaze that is to die for. I would show up just to have this dish! The sushi is neo/hybrid with all the standbys and some creative concoctions. We had the St Helen's Volcano roll with scallops, garlic mayo and stuff. A delightful excess of flavorful rolls and Nigiri was had. The food arrived in waves and the table was never empty for more that a couple minutes. The meal was pricey, but the happy hour helped mitigate the price. The service was excellent and we will eagerly return.Special Features:
- Great sushi.PortlandiaDined on 5/10/2014This was my first visit. Service was fast and friendly. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Perfect date nightLCrumDined on 5/9/2014Delicious rolls. Fantastic cocktails and there wasn't even a wait on a Friday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great duckBernieDined on 5/3/2014I have had duck before, but it made little impression upon me other than I could say I had it before. Seeing it on the menu, my fiancee wanted to try it as she had never tasted it before. I expected a full breast to come out, instead, there was sliced meat on the tray. Needless to say, the flavor was fantastic and added to the memory of the meal itself, well beyond, just eating a forgettable food. This is a dish I would order again. It took my opinion of duck from 'meh,' to 'oh, I've had a real good on at a place called Masu Sushi.'Special Features:
- Excellent sushi!LindaVIPDined on 5/2/2014We have been looking for a great sushi restaurant since we moved to Portland 2 years ago and here we finally found it!
- upstairs hide-awayNWneighborDined on 5/1/2014Tasty Japanese food. Especially enjoyed the eggplant appetizer and the spicy seared calamari. Nice wine by the glass choices. Window seats are up in the trees.Special Features:
- Terrible Service Overshadows SushiShebalbaDined on 4/29/2014Charming space with some twists on sushi fare. Menu was dynamic enough to be a repeat customer unfortunately service was some of the worst in memory. It was the classic example of screwing up multiple food orders, not interested in making it right and then disappearing for long intervals. We spent way more time waiting or trying to make eye contact with a staff person then we did eating. Shocked that we were still charged for their mistakes. Not my kind of dining experience. Not worth it.Special Features:
- Unique SushiFoodFanVIPDined on 4/21/2014My friend loves this restaurant. If you are a traditionalist, go elsewhere. If you like innovation and "extremely dressed" (seasoned) sushi and appetizers, go here. The speciality sushi rolls have so much seasoning that you lose the essence of the seafood highlighted. Some people like this, some people don't. My friend likes it. I didn't love it. Great location. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushi my daughter and meTom4diningDined on 4/18/2014I'm no sushi-o-phile, though my daughter can be... She and I had a wonderful time at Masu Sushi. This is the best sushi I've had in town, hands down- and I've been to a dozen or more. We arrived a few minutes late, no fuss, seated right away. Our waitress allowed us to settle in, offered drinks (sake)- they do have other drinks to offer. Started with a couple appetizers as we were hungry- calamari and eggplant were outstanding, strongly recommend either or both. Dinner was some tempura, nigiri (several fish), Japanista roll and Death By Sushi roll, their presentation on the plate was simple for the nigiri (perfect) and beautiful for the rolls. We were rewarded with mouthfuls of sushi deliciousness. This place rocks! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Waitress!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2014Everyone who works at Masu Sushi is very attentive. Very clean and polished and amazingly friendlySpecial Features:
- Great service - fair foodBluedogVIPDined on 4/15/2014We love Japanese cuisine - and selected this restaurant while traveling in Portland. Our waitress was nice, attentive, and welcoming. The food, unfortunately, while creative, was not great. Miso soup was not traditional and had some type of sweetener added (some may enjoy this, not us). Sashimi was very good, but for some reason they poured soy on top of each piece. The rolls we ordered were huge, generous, portions - which is nice, but actually resulted in the rolls being difficult to eat and the rice overwhelming the flavor. We read reviews before selecting the restaurant and found only one criticism - cucumber in the water, which we found to be a peculiar criticism. Now we get it -- the cucumber results in an unpleasant fishy taste.
- Didn't even get to the sushi...PearlFoodieVIPDined on 4/9/2014because all of the menu items are so delicious. Sea vegetables? Check. Kale salad? Check. Japanese eggplant in a miso glaze? Check check check. The smoked black cod is out of this world--tender, sweet and succulent. This place is such a find--I've yet to be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.