Masu Sushi & Robata
330 E Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55414Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Masu Sushi & Robata
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.masusushiandrobata.com/
- Phone: 6123326278
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Executive Sushi Chef Katsuyuki (Asan) Yamamoto
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Check out our Japanese Pachinko Machines!
A word from Masu Sushi & Robata
Classic Japanese cuisine in a fun, modern neighborhood restaurant. Our menu features fresh, authentic and traditional Japanese foods. In addition to sushi and robata, the menu includes a substantial selection of noodles including different varieties of udon, soba and ramen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Masu Sushi & Robata reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)neighborhood gem (40)special occasion (28)great for lunch (20)hot spot (18)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (16)romantic (9)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- EHHgsperreiraDined on 8/23/2014THE SUSHI IS MINIMAL, AND NO VERY GOOD, ALTHOUGH WE DID NOT HAVE TO WAIT AS LONG AS WE HAD TO THE LAST TIME. SERVER WAS GREAT!! I WANT SUSHI WHEN I GO TO A PLACE THAT SELLS SUSHI.... THERE WERE HARDLY ANY ROLLS ON THERE TO CHOOSE FROM AND ANY THAT SOUNDED DECENT HAD CHILI SAUCE ON THEM... IF YOU WANT IT HOT THAT IS WHAT WASABI IS FOR.
- Veggies great, Sushi mehOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014I was really looking forward to some great rolls, but they weren't impressive. However, the veggies (we tried mushrooms and zucchini) and beef were awesome. If you want something other than sushi, this would be a great place to try. Small plates make this a great place to share and try a variety. The noise level was very high, so don't plan on an intimate conversation.Special Features:
- Date nightJanea11Dined on 8/16/2014My husband had went to Masu with a group of guys and really liked it. We went back for a date night and I agree. The food was delish! Fast and friendly service. Fun atmosphere. Prices won't break the bank. Will be going back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy and classicEimsaiyanVIPDined on 8/15/2014This place never ceases to amaze with the unique assortment of sushi and sake befitting it's seemingly eclectic clientele. We always have a great time here and thoroughly engross ourselves exploring the menu. Don't forget to try to house sake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick NicholasNickDined on 8/15/2014The good: Duck Gyoza, bacon wrapped quail eggs, pork belly buns The bad: Tuna Tataki, Short Rib meat in the Udon soup Overall, would definetly go back and order what we liked in addition to things that were delivered to other tables. We know our Japanese food and the three items mentioned above were very good. The other two were quite poor. The sushi/shashimi delivered to other tables looked good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceNLMSPDined on 7/26/2014standard Japanese restaurant with good drinks and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food-Fun NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The server was knowledgeable, helpful, friendly and patient with our silly family of 5. We had a fun night trying some new and delicious sushi rolls. Would highly recommend trying this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great foodDiningDrDined on 7/14/2014Food was excellent and service was prompt. Background music was so so, not a fan of Billboard 40 at Japanese restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014I will start this review by saying that I do not enjoy sushi, but that my fiance does; so, every once in a while we will go for sushi and I will order from the non-sushi side of the menu. The restaurant is loud (kind of an old warehouse feeling with high ceilings) and our servcer was very soft spoken; we could hardly hear her even when we asked her to speak up. The sushi rolls were very small for the price that we paid and my fiance was not impressed with the taste, and the non-sushi options left much to be desired. Our server was also very slow and we often saw her just standing in the pantry chatting when we clearly needed her (looking around, trying to flag her down). Needless to say, we will not be going back to this restaurant.
- Super Sushi!StephDined on 6/28/2014This is one of my favorite sushi places in the Twin Cities. I have been here many times and have never been disappointed...the sushi is fresh and well prepared.Special Features:
- Great sushiGallopDined on 6/27/2014Very good sushi. Pretty small rolls for the price but you get what you pay for. It was really fresh and well presented. Got seated right away and wait staff was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Like AlwaysoutandaboutguyVIPDined on 6/17/2014Well, the weather was perfect for the front patio. The opportunity arose to celebrate a birthday and graduation in one, so we went. It was everything we wanted like usual. We will go back, many times. Thank you, and yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Went here for dinner and it ended up being during happy hour, which they have a great happy hour menu. We sat outside which was great and our server was amazing. The sushi was amazing! In addition, there gummy cocktails are a must have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in mpls!LalalandDined on 5/31/2014I absolutely love this place! If you don't eat fish or sushi there are so many other options on the menu. Great staff! Beautiful food! Amazing vegan,veg and gluten free menu too. The House sake is super yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/30/2014Great specialty rolls and great cocktails. Love the Double Precious martini.Special Features:
- NikkiDined on 5/29/2014This was a great place! I surprised my best friend by taking her here for dinner. The staff was beyond accommodating! Our waitress was amazing! The food was delicious! I would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Great spotKermitDined on 5/28/2014My wife and I went here for dinner last week and loved it! We sat out on the sidewalk and enjoyed a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, not good.ParishphdDined on 5/21/2014Though the menu looked unique and had interesting selections, the meal was merely something to eat and nothing more. There were no stand-outs from among the several sushi, shashimi, rolls and appetizers we had, though all were well presented. Despite the high ceilings and the fact the restaurant was only 2/3 full, the noise level was tough to deal with. Talking across the table in our 4-person booth was a challenge. Age-related complaint? Probably, as we were a group of mid-50's folks who no longer care to yell across the table to be heard. That said, the bar scene seemed like the place to be.
- Sushi FunTimoDined on 5/16/2014Great food and service!.... many options and flavorful. Tastes great on the palate without getting stuffed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 604 reviews are from the Masu Sushi & Robata reviews archive.
- Good ExperienceGingerVIPDined on 5/4/2014A group of six celebrated three birthdays. The music was loud and we asked that it be lowered and it was! Great response to coustomer wants. The food was very good; fresh and delicious. Except for the "energtic" noise level with ever growing numbers of diners we really enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- Great as UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/3/2014Masu has yet to disappoint us! We love this restaurant! The robata was smoky and delicious. The scallops were amazing as always. I was a little disappointed they did not have the bacon wrapped tofu for robata, but the bacon wrapped quail egg made up for it. The sushi was fresh and delicious. The classic rolls were good and the "Masu" spun specialty rolls were funky and fresh and delicious! We highly recommend Masu!Special Features:
- Ya Don't Need ChopsticksjazzrDined on 5/1/2014This past Thursday evening it was my turn to select a restaurant where my wife and I along with two of our friends had a dinner that turned out to be much better than I could have expected. The reason for this centers around comments that were made by my wife as well as one of our friends who expressed a slight degree of pessimism when I told them of my choice of where we would be eating. Even though the noise level made it somewhat difficult to carry on normal conversations, the excellent service along with how well our meals were prepared more than made up for the minor annoyance of others enjoying themselves at dinner. The pessimistic comments were gradually replaced by positive exclamations of satisfaction and promises to return.Special Features:
- Cool wait staffbeksDined on 4/26/2014Spots at Masu fill up quickly, so I'd recommend putting in a reservation ahead of time. The wait staff is really friendly — and tattoo laden, for some reason, and are very cool and chill. I ordered sushi and my boyfriend got a curry dish. Both were excellent. You also have the option to order a flight of sake, and the wait staff is very knowledgable about the sake. It was a bit noisy, and a bit cramped (we were sitting at a high-top with not much surface area) but overall a nice place to go. Good for dates.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Masu in North Loop is awesomeMANwPLANVIPDined on 4/25/2014I try to hit this place a couple times a month. Their pork belly steamed buns are amazing. The noodles are off the hook. The sushi is top grade. The seaweed salad is where it's at. Every timeI go up there, I ask the sushi chef for a custom creation and he makes it to our delight. I totally recommend Masu in NLoop Mpls.Special Features:
- tasty and satisfyingcrassbahDined on 4/25/2014I had the ramen, as did my companions and it was perfectly seasoned - the vegetables were perfectly done. Loved it.Special Features:
- Good sushiYoda915Dined on 4/18/2014Good place for dinner, sushi was fresh, service was fast and courteous. Will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely placeValerieDined on 4/12/2014My partner and I really like going to Masu. They have a creative drink selection, great food and friendly staff. We went for our anniversary and they comp'd two glasses of Cava for us. Whenever we're craving sushi, we always head to Masu. We appreciate their fish sustainability practices, it really reflects their taste in quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ben, Dan and Aasaan alwaysNextdoorneighborsDined on 4/12/2014Ben, Dan and Aasaan always do a great job. They remember who the customers are and even though they are busy they take a minute to chat. Great food, great service. We stop in at least twice a month.Special Features:
- Awesome foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/9/2014Great place for when you want to try something new or different to eat. The bao sandwiches were the best. I've had better sushi and kimchi elsewhere but it's still really good here. Ambience was fun. I went there for dinner to catch up with a friend but it can get kind of loud there fyi.Special Features:
- Great serviceLove2eatDined on 4/5/2014Thank you we had an amazing day. Made my birthday memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi but terrible service!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2014Went here Saturday night with an 8:30pm reservation. From the beginning, our waitress was slow. Took her nearly 15 min to greet us, bring water, etc and then after that we only saw her every 20 minor so and at one point had to go to the hostess stand to request she be sent over. She mixed up one of our orders and did not come back to check, so everyone else ate their food, while I just sat waiting for her to reappear. Overall excellent sushi, rhobata, and noodles, but the service was ridiculously bad. My advice - if you go, only sit at the sushi bar.
- nummykristijDined on 3/29/2014Food was fabulous as usual. Fresh and fun. We got there at 5:30 and left at 7:30. We were able to take our time and enjoy each course. I think we would have just kept ordering but had to get to a show.Special Features:
- Food yummy/Service lacked a bit butOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/27/2014The food was good, as always. Our waitress was sweet but very busy. Our ramen was delivered with a dish of extra spice but no explanation as to what it was. Our sushi was delivered and the roll names rattled off but we did not know which each roll was. A drink order was missed and everyone was too busy for us to get questions answered. The food was fantastic so how can't truly complain. I assume they were short handed that night and the place was hopping!
- AuthenticKitsuneDined on 3/24/2014We booked reservations at Masu to celebrate a birthday. From the second we walked through the door it was as authentic a Japanese dining experience as one could expect to find outside Japan. Everything from the warm towel welcome to the "trust your bartender" Sake flight and surprise candle-topped ice cream was absolutely delightful. My partner told me it's the best meal he's enjoyed since moving to Minneapolis nearly 14 years ago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday nightGeabbottDined on 3/22/2014Seemed to be popular with the north loop crowd. Tables in the front were a little small, and it was generally chilly. Park at lunds! I didn't really find the sushi and other food to be as good as bento. Service was very pleasant. Good for an occasional visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid apps, average sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/21/2014Had a decent experience for first time at Masu. Good apps, and in particular the buns. Sushi was disappointing vs. other twin city options but was quite a bit more reasonable in price. Noodle dish was over sauced and too salty. I would consider going back for apps and cocktails, but would choose another option if I'm focusing on sushi and sashimi.Special Features:
- Good timesmetacydeDined on 3/21/2014I came here with a group of friends from work, and we had a great night drinking ginger whiskeys, sake and sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been to Masu a number of times.TomCDined on 3/15/2014Been to Masu a number of times. All excellent. Freshest and best sushi in town without a doubt!!! Sushi chefs and wait staff outstanding as well. Always a pleasure to dine there.Special Features:
- Great food and sake menuMNFoodiegirlDined on 3/13/2014Their menu is fantastic, the service is fantastic, the sake selection is outstanding. The sushi itself was on the skimpy side, not lovely big pieces but rather small, but fresh, innovative and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014Went there for a date. I had a reservation, which was probably good because there was no way I would have gotten in without one. Everyone and their mom knows how great this place is. It's sushi is unique and delicious, I recommend going there with the intentions of dropping a mr franklin because you'll want to try at least three rolls then throw in your appetizer and dessert for the full effect! If it had been less busy it wouldn't have had been so loud but I'm glad they are doing well they deserve too! Overall it was a great date nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.