Masu Sushi & Robata
330 E Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55414Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Masu Sushi & Robata
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.masusushiandrobata.com/
- Phone: 6123326278
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Executive Sushi Chef Katsuyuki (Asan) Yamamoto
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Check out our Japanese Pachinko Machines!
A word from Masu Sushi & Robata
Classic Japanese cuisine in a fun, modern neighborhood restaurant. Our menu features fresh, authentic and traditional Japanese foods. In addition to sushi and robata, the menu includes a substantial selection of noodles including different varieties of udon, soba and ramen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Masu Sushi & Robata reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (44)neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (27)hot spot (23)good for groups (21)late-night find (19)great for lunch (17)vibrant bar scene (17)romantic (11)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Fun and Vibrant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Went out with a girlfriend for a fun dinner. That food was great and our waitress was amazing, highly suggest going!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I wanted an authentic Japanese food/experience. This was definitely NOT. I saw one Japanese person the entire time for two seconds. There was nothing Japanese about the place at all. The food was marginal at best. What this place is, is a modern USA sushi bar. Having lived in Japan, I would never recommend this place for the authenticity of its food, décor or ambiance. Cheep lacquer ware, no koto music or tatami mats, lanterns etc. My noodles (ramen) was over cooked, the pork tough and dry, egg not done and tasteless. My wife's chicken was still red in the middle and our fried vegetables all stuck together. Not what I ate in Japan. Go somewhere else. Can't believe what you read on the internet.
- RefreshingMeekaDined on 9/25/2014There are so many restaurants serving sushi around these days that it's hard to find something a little more unique. I loved the extensive saki list and all off the options for fabulous small plates that don't include sushi. Their nigiri and rolls were awesome though as well. Loved the quail egg shooter too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistent and enjoyablePlaceisGreatDined on 9/20/2014I started going to Masu shortly after it opened and it still has the same great consistent delivery that it did then. The variety of food options makes it a great place for small groups to socialize and share plates. Its also great for a quick bowl of noodles over lunch. One of my local favorites in Mpls.Special Features:
- This time was a miss.zezzicaDined on 9/13/2014We have always loved Masu. Their food is always tasty, we enjoy something from every part of the menu. The drinks were good, as always, however, the service was just OK. We were sat at a table in the bar area. Our table was surrounded by people by the arcade machines waiting for their tables. Our server was nice, however, when he took our order, instead of spacing our our items, he put them all in at the same time. Everything came at once. The appetizers, and our main meal items. We ended up shoveling it in as fast as we could because there simply wasn't room on the table. This was a major frustration and ended up clouding our entire dining experience. We will wait a while before returning again.Special Features:
- ExceptionalRedkoifishDined on 9/13/2014I enjoyed a nice date here on a Saturday night. A little loud, but that was expected. Had a reservation, might be a recommendation. It was lovely food, the firecracker was hands-down the best, and the scene was sort of an "upbeat" Japanese-like night out. Nice, nonetheless, but don't mistake it for a "classy".Special Features:
- Great foodAdubois111Dined on 9/7/2014We wanted to try Ramen and we really liked it. A bit salty and oniony but could just be my preference. Sushi was great as well. I scored lower on ambiance because tables in the bar area were very close to each other and felt like air was turned high -- very cold!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as usualLemonyDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I have been to Masu a few times and it's always great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!LalalandDined on 9/1/2014Masu has the BEST SUSHI in town! Love the staff and all the options of sushi rolls! If you aren't a fan of sushi you will for sure find something on the menu you would like to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EHHgsperreiraDined on 8/23/2014THE SUSHI IS MINIMAL, AND NO VERY GOOD, ALTHOUGH WE DID NOT HAVE TO WAIT AS LONG AS WE HAD TO THE LAST TIME. SERVER WAS GREAT!! I WANT SUSHI WHEN I GO TO A PLACE THAT SELLS SUSHI.... THERE WERE HARDLY ANY ROLLS ON THERE TO CHOOSE FROM AND ANY THAT SOUNDED DECENT HAD CHILI SAUCE ON THEM... IF YOU WANT IT HOT THAT IS WHAT WASABI IS FOR.
- Veggies great, Sushi mehOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014I was really looking forward to some great rolls, but they weren't impressive. However, the veggies (we tried mushrooms and zucchini) and beef were awesome. If you want something other than sushi, this would be a great place to try. Small plates make this a great place to share and try a variety. The noise level was very high, so don't plan on an intimate conversation.Special Features:
- Date nightJanea11Dined on 8/16/2014My husband had went to Masu with a group of guys and really liked it. We went back for a date night and I agree. The food was delish! Fast and friendly service. Fun atmosphere. Prices won't break the bank. Will be going back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy and classicEimsaiyanVIPDined on 8/15/2014This place never ceases to amaze with the unique assortment of sushi and sake befitting it's seemingly eclectic clientele. We always have a great time here and thoroughly engross ourselves exploring the menu. Don't forget to try to house sake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick NicholasNickDined on 8/15/2014The good: Duck Gyoza, bacon wrapped quail eggs, pork belly buns The bad: Tuna Tataki, Short Rib meat in the Udon soup Overall, would definetly go back and order what we liked in addition to things that were delivered to other tables. We know our Japanese food and the three items mentioned above were very good. The other two were quite poor. The sushi/shashimi delivered to other tables looked good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceNLMSPDined on 7/26/2014standard Japanese restaurant with good drinks and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food-Fun NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The server was knowledgeable, helpful, friendly and patient with our silly family of 5. We had a fun night trying some new and delicious sushi rolls. Would highly recommend trying this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great foodDiningDrDined on 7/14/2014Food was excellent and service was prompt. Background music was so so, not a fan of Billboard 40 at Japanese restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014I will start this review by saying that I do not enjoy sushi, but that my fiance does; so, every once in a while we will go for sushi and I will order from the non-sushi side of the menu. The restaurant is loud (kind of an old warehouse feeling with high ceilings) and our servcer was very soft spoken; we could hardly hear her even when we asked her to speak up. The sushi rolls were very small for the price that we paid and my fiance was not impressed with the taste, and the non-sushi options left much to be desired. Our server was also very slow and we often saw her just standing in the pantry chatting when we clearly needed her (looking around, trying to flag her down). Needless to say, we will not be going back to this restaurant.
- Super Sushi!StephDined on 6/28/2014This is one of my favorite sushi places in the Twin Cities. I have been here many times and have never been disappointed...the sushi is fresh and well prepared.Special Features:
- Great sushiGallopDined on 6/27/2014Very good sushi. Pretty small rolls for the price but you get what you pay for. It was really fresh and well presented. Got seated right away and wait staff was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Like AlwaysoutandaboutguyVIPDined on 6/17/2014Well, the weather was perfect for the front patio. The opportunity arose to celebrate a birthday and graduation in one, so we went. It was everything we wanted like usual. We will go back, many times. Thank you, and yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Went here for dinner and it ended up being during happy hour, which they have a great happy hour menu. We sat outside which was great and our server was amazing. The sushi was amazing! In addition, there gummy cocktails are a must have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 610 reviews are from the Masu Sushi & Robata reviews archive.
- Best sushi in mpls!LalalandDined on 5/31/2014I absolutely love this place! If you don't eat fish or sushi there are so many other options on the menu. Great staff! Beautiful food! Amazing vegan,veg and gluten free menu too. The House sake is super yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/30/2014Great specialty rolls and great cocktails. Love the Double Precious martini.Special Features:
- NikkiDined on 5/29/2014This was a great place! I surprised my best friend by taking her here for dinner. The staff was beyond accommodating! Our waitress was amazing! The food was delicious! I would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Great spotKermitDined on 5/28/2014My wife and I went here for dinner last week and loved it! We sat out on the sidewalk and enjoyed a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, not good.ParishphdDined on 5/21/2014Though the menu looked unique and had interesting selections, the meal was merely something to eat and nothing more. There were no stand-outs from among the several sushi, shashimi, rolls and appetizers we had, though all were well presented. Despite the high ceilings and the fact the restaurant was only 2/3 full, the noise level was tough to deal with. Talking across the table in our 4-person booth was a challenge. Age-related complaint? Probably, as we were a group of mid-50's folks who no longer care to yell across the table to be heard. That said, the bar scene seemed like the place to be.
- Sushi FunTimoDined on 5/16/2014Great food and service!.... many options and flavorful. Tastes great on the palate without getting stuffed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceGingerVIPDined on 5/4/2014A group of six celebrated three birthdays. The music was loud and we asked that it be lowered and it was! Great response to coustomer wants. The food was very good; fresh and delicious. Except for the "energtic" noise level with ever growing numbers of diners we really enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- Great as UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/3/2014Masu has yet to disappoint us! We love this restaurant! The robata was smoky and delicious. The scallops were amazing as always. I was a little disappointed they did not have the bacon wrapped tofu for robata, but the bacon wrapped quail egg made up for it. The sushi was fresh and delicious. The classic rolls were good and the "Masu" spun specialty rolls were funky and fresh and delicious! We highly recommend Masu!Special Features:
- Ya Don't Need ChopsticksjazzrDined on 5/1/2014This past Thursday evening it was my turn to select a restaurant where my wife and I along with two of our friends had a dinner that turned out to be much better than I could have expected. The reason for this centers around comments that were made by my wife as well as one of our friends who expressed a slight degree of pessimism when I told them of my choice of where we would be eating. Even though the noise level made it somewhat difficult to carry on normal conversations, the excellent service along with how well our meals were prepared more than made up for the minor annoyance of others enjoying themselves at dinner. The pessimistic comments were gradually replaced by positive exclamations of satisfaction and promises to return.Special Features:
- Cool wait staffbeksDined on 4/26/2014Spots at Masu fill up quickly, so I'd recommend putting in a reservation ahead of time. The wait staff is really friendly — and tattoo laden, for some reason, and are very cool and chill. I ordered sushi and my boyfriend got a curry dish. Both were excellent. You also have the option to order a flight of sake, and the wait staff is very knowledgable about the sake. It was a bit noisy, and a bit cramped (we were sitting at a high-top with not much surface area) but overall a nice place to go. Good for dates.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Masu in North Loop is awesomeMANwPLANVIPDined on 4/25/2014I try to hit this place a couple times a month. Their pork belly steamed buns are amazing. The noodles are off the hook. The sushi is top grade. The seaweed salad is where it's at. Every timeI go up there, I ask the sushi chef for a custom creation and he makes it to our delight. I totally recommend Masu in NLoop Mpls.Special Features:
- tasty and satisfyingcrassbahDined on 4/25/2014I had the ramen, as did my companions and it was perfectly seasoned - the vegetables were perfectly done. Loved it.Special Features:
- Good sushiYoda915Dined on 4/18/2014Good place for dinner, sushi was fresh, service was fast and courteous. Will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely placeValerieDined on 4/12/2014My partner and I really like going to Masu. They have a creative drink selection, great food and friendly staff. We went for our anniversary and they comp'd two glasses of Cava for us. Whenever we're craving sushi, we always head to Masu. We appreciate their fish sustainability practices, it really reflects their taste in quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ben, Dan and Aasaan alwaysNextdoorneighborsDined on 4/12/2014Ben, Dan and Aasaan always do a great job. They remember who the customers are and even though they are busy they take a minute to chat. Great food, great service. We stop in at least twice a month.Special Features:
- Awesome foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/9/2014Great place for when you want to try something new or different to eat. The bao sandwiches were the best. I've had better sushi and kimchi elsewhere but it's still really good here. Ambience was fun. I went there for dinner to catch up with a friend but it can get kind of loud there fyi.Special Features:
- Great serviceLove2eatDined on 4/5/2014Thank you we had an amazing day. Made my birthday memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi but terrible service!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2014Went here Saturday night with an 8:30pm reservation. From the beginning, our waitress was slow. Took her nearly 15 min to greet us, bring water, etc and then after that we only saw her every 20 minor so and at one point had to go to the hostess stand to request she be sent over. She mixed up one of our orders and did not come back to check, so everyone else ate their food, while I just sat waiting for her to reappear. Overall excellent sushi, rhobata, and noodles, but the service was ridiculously bad. My advice - if you go, only sit at the sushi bar.