Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago
520 North Dearborn
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://mastrosrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 3125215100x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner only, 5:00pm - Midnight, Daily.
M Bar Piano Lounge - 4:00pm - 2:00am, Daily.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Justin Floerchinger
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live entertainment & dancing nightly at the piano bar.
- Special Events: Please contact Kelly McGrath for your next event.
A word from Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago
Mastro's collection of sophisticated, classic Steakhouses and Ocean Club seafood locations are recognized for their combination of world-class service, highly acclaimed cuisine, and live entertainment in an elegant yet energetic atmosphere. A truly unparalleled dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
357 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (265)romantic (177)notable wine list (155)vibrant bar scene (145)fit for foodies (124)good for groups (119)hot spot (116)neighborhood gem (46)late-night find (44)scenic view (11)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014The food was great, we had a reservation so we got seated right away! It was loud worth he band, it was hard to hear my boyfriend from across the table! It was way too dark for my liking! I could see my food and I didn't like that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing anniversary dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Where to even begin! From the moment we walked in we were greeted warmly, and sat within 5 minutes. We were at upstairs, first ones! We had the upstairs to ourselves for about 10 minutes, which was really nice. Our server was extremely knowledgeable, and took away any anxiety I had about ordering wine from their large wine menu, and impressive dinner menu. We both ordered a bone in filet, mine md.rare,and his med. The steak was juicy, tender, and BURSTING with flavor. Best. Steak. EVER. they even brought an anniversary cake at the end, which was also amazing. Generous portions, and delicious dishes. Service was incredible, and everyone seemed to have a passion for the restaurant, it was refreshing and impressive. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SklemkeDined on 10/19/2014One of my favorite steakhouses in Chicago! Awesome cocktail menu and they now serve some amazing sushi too! Can't beat the piano bar scene, best in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak and GlamOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014It's about the Bone-in Filet and flourless chocolate pudding cake...the high top tables in the bar area provide the perfect balance of intimacy and connection with the scene if you like partake in the energy of the place. The dining room is mandatory for more privacy and quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your time!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/17/2014Mastros in Scottsdale is our favorite resturant, that we visit weekly. We figured we would try in Chicago- wasted night, food was terrible for mastros! Fatty steak, cold warm spinch salad & soggy fries! Huge disappointment!! Service was excellent-- typical mastros style!
- Stellar As UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014Mastro's brought its A-game during a memorable birthday celebration dinner on Friday (10/17). From A to Z, the steaks, the seafood tower, the sides, the wine list, the service, the vibe, the entertainment at the bar, and, of course, the famous butter cake were impeccable. I have had the privilege of dining at Mastro's for business and pleasure many times, and I have yet to encounter anything other than an outstanding dining experience there. And as a life-long Chicagoan, I know how competitive and difficult it is to sustain a winning, high-end steak house here. Mastro's deserves not only to be in the conversation when it comes to the best steak house in town, it is at the top of the list. For stellar dining, you can count on Masto's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, but Over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Just not sure why the steak is 46$? We were over charged, figured it was probably for a glass of over priced wine at $18 a glass....but I should have checked the bill. I think I was in a daze from my shock at the $217 bill for two people and one glass of wine. With all of the great steak houses in Chicago.... We won't go backSpecial Features:
- Late Night ReservationRCRegularVIPDined on 10/16/2014I had a 10pm reservation and had great service. I had a group of 10 and the staff was very accommodating to our needs.Special Features:
- Great for a special occasion!BurnskiDined on 10/16/2014Although Mastro's is a bit pricey, it is worth it for a special occasion. The food is excellent and our service good not have been better. Jamie, our server, may be the best server we have had anywhere and we have been t many four star restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at its best!MercaditoFirstDined on 10/16/2014Great food, including desert, as well as awsome service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely as usualkenritDined on 10/15/2014My husband and I have dined here on many special occasions with friends and just the two of us and each time everthing was wonderful. Thank you for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodabrahamDined on 10/12/2014very very very expensive and too dark for me, but food and service where great. There was a live pianoman who made the night great.Special Features:
- DissapointingIrishDinerPLACTVIPDined on 10/12/2014When celebrating at a nice place such as Mastro's we would have expected top notch service. Not the case. We were extremely disappointed with the service, took a long time to get waited on, the waiter continued to be EXTREMELY SLOW and had to ask for simple items such as water and bread. I DO NOT RECOMMEND it as Chicago has plenty of other great steakhouses where you can celebrate. Food was good, but not great.
- DeanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Mastros is one of my favorite steak joints. I thought the lighting was too low in the Chicago restaurant. Our brussel sprouts were a little tough. Steak and wine was awesome!Special Features:
- Superfly place we love mastroLowinnDined on 10/11/2014We and always enjoy the service food and vibe with a great setting for a dinner date #A1 and my wife loves the butter cakeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dining experiencejdpt1984Dined on 10/11/2014I have eaten at many Chicago steakhouses and this ranks close to the top. The filet I had was very tender and cooked to order. It was seasoned only lightly. My husband's Kansas City cut was delicious and more flavorful/seasoned than my filet. The very cool thing is that your meat is delivered to your table on a plate which is heated to 450 degrees which keeps it nice and hot when you eat it although it cooks it slightly more so you may want to order your meat slightly rarer. My friend ordered the chilean sea bass and was not impressed saying it was prepared way too buttery. The sides and salads we ordered were perfect and I highly recommend saving room for dessert-the butter cake (shared 4 ways in perfect). Our waiter was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014I have had steaks from all the usually suspects such as Ruth's, Capital Grill, and Gibson's. The bone in filet at Mastro's dwarfed all the competitors. I highly recommend it. My only criticism of the place would be the lighting. It was too dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstanding service!!!Msgu121Dined on 10/10/2014Made a single request and they always follow thru. No need to remind them, they are on it! Butter cake is out of this worldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okCanastaLadyDined on 10/10/2014The food was good, but not great, especially for the price. The wine was very good and the glass was quite large. Hot ice under the shrimp cocktail made a very nice presentation. The best part was the unending martini. It seemed like the waiter kept pouring from the shaker into a large martini glass. Loud downstairs, not as bad up. Live music was nice in the bar area. Seems like a young scene kind of place. They called the next day to thank us for coming. Nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeftmyersVIPDined on 10/9/2014the food was excellent as always. Definitely suggest coming hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tops in a competitive fieldrickeaterDined on 10/9/2014Expensive steak houses are a dime a dozen in the big cities. For the first time in a long time, I will actually remember the great cut of ny strip I was served. Theirs place executed beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysfoodie312Dined on 10/7/2014We had a great meal! Service was rocky at first, but picked up quickly!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2014Outstanding steakhouse, great food, great service, wonderfull place for any occasionSpecial Features:
- Great Foo & DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014This is a great place...love the food and drinks!!!Special Features:
- Disappointed beyond beliefPursuingPerfectionDined on 10/2/2014Most over-priced food I have ever eaten. Chilean Sea Bass was blandly grilled and served on an over-sized plate, nothing more... Tuna on the other hand was drenched in an Asian sauce that destroyed the flavor of the fish. $250 dollars later, my dinner for 2 would have been better spent at McDonalds!
- Great night at Mastro'sJennersDined on 10/2/2014Could not ask for more, great service, great food, nice ambiane, great live entertainment, great drinks, probably the best restaurant experience I have had in over 5 years!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedchicagodinerDined on 10/1/2014I ususally LOVE LOVE LOVE Mastros, it's one of my favorite steakhouses in Chicago. However, during our recent visit, one of my friends steaks was cooked well-done when she asked for medium and my other friends steak had fat all over it. The way in which it was handled was also awkward as the server and manager came over to inspect the steaks with a flashlight (almost as if my friends were lying). As one of my favorite spots, I was very disappointed with our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kevin BOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Celebrating our anniversary with Mastro's was a excellent choice. Food and drinks were well above average. Service was very helpful also.Special Features:
- Best service and food imaginable!Briogirl16VIPDined on 9/27/2014I had the most romantic dinner this past weekend. The server was incredibly attentive and considerate and truly made me and my boyfriend's dinner very special. The food was amazing- the creamed corn is an absolute must. The sides are big so order small. Absolute 5 star restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency Winsmlrh100Dined on 9/27/2014Once again our meal was delicious. Though the steaks/chops are always the main event, the sides are a close runner up for awards. We enjoyed the Lobster Mac - cheese and the Gnochi with crab and truffle oil and the brussel sprouts. All terrific! On this dining event I tried the Veal chop and was very pleased with the char and deep rich flavors. Deserts were excellent as always with the butter cake and my fav the profiterols. The live music is always a plus even though some reviewes complain that it's too noisy..... "then stay home"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014My husband and I made reservations here from a friend's recommendation. We called for reservations 1 week before and our only option was 5:45pm. It was still light outside and when we walked into the restaurant it was so dark I almost wanted to hold the hostess's hand as she led us to our table. Eventually our eyes accustomed to the darkness and we found it romantic. Our waitress, Kelly, was amazing. She helped us with the menu and was very friendly. We were brought a complimentary chocolate cake (huge and very tasty) to celebrate our anniversary. We had a wonderful time and will highly recommend to our friends.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationmbakerDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I are huge fans of Mastros. It only made sense to take our closest friends here for dinner to celebrate his birthday last week because we knew we would have an incredible dinner. We've eaten at many different steak places in town and Mastros seems to always be at the top of our list. Whether you like seafood or steak this is a great place to eat. Service is always excellent and they have a great wine list! And don't forget to order the butter cake for desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014The steaks are the best no matter how you well or rare you order them. The side items are great too and I love the seafood (shrimp cocktail). The butter cake is the best and the martinis are great. But what pulls everything together and why I keep going back, is the excellent A+ service. I have never had a bad meal here and service is always the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good night was had by allblownawayDined on 9/21/2014the restaurant was a referral from a friend over the one we had originally chosen. Glad we switched. The food was great - we shared a filet and a rack of lamb. the wine selection was very well representative for all tastes. the only real complaint was the dim lighting. food is also meant to be seen as is the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerKladyDined on 9/21/2014I took my boyfriend to this restaurant for his birthday and I thought this place was not what I expected. The noise was VERY loud, including the t.v's that were playing the game and especially the band. They were singing songs that were nice but too loud!!! I did think the food was outstanding and the waiter was very nice. I order the Chilean Sea Bass and my boyfriend ordered the Chef's steak. I also thought the place was very dark. I'm not sure if we will come back again.Special Features:
- Delicious food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014Our dining experience at Mastro's was fabulous. Our waitress was very personable, professional and extremely knowledgeable! The food never disappoints, everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Great food. FANTASTIC Butter CakeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The entrees and side dishes were delicious. The Lobster Mashed Potatoes were decadent. The Warm Butter Cake was to die for! Our server - Brittani - was a joy and very accommodating.Special Features:
- Best Steak in ChicagoMKWatersVIPDined on 9/20/2014Wow, truly the best bone-in-filet I've ever had and I can't wait to get back for more. Nothing compares. Excellent service. Besides the filet, I highly recommend having the lobster mashed potatoes and butter cake or you haven't experienced the best of Mastro's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, some disappointmentsTinaDined on 9/20/2014I was disappointed that when we arrived for our for reservation, we still has to wait but there was nowhere for us to wait out-of-the-way. We did try to wait in the bar, but there was not any room. It would've been nice to have a server take a drink order for us upon arrival so that we could get a drink while we were waiting for a table. The bar was way too crowded for us to go to get anything to drink. Instead we stood up against a wall. A guest waiting area would be nice. Was also disappointed that I needed to wait 25 minutes to get my car from the valet. These complaints aside, the restaurant was excellent. Very good food. Very generous portion sizes and excellent quality. I will certainly come here again for special occasion. Good bandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014We loved everything. We were tired of the usual steak places in Chicago and tried something new for us. Service was fantastic. Food was perfect. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.