Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago
520 North Dearborn
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://mastrosrestaurants.com/
- Phone: (312) 521-5100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner only, 5:00pm - Midnight, Daily.
M Bar Piano Lounge - 4:00pm - 2:00am, Daily.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Justin Floerchinger
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live entertainment & dancing nightly at the piano bar.
- Special Events: Please contact Kelly McGrath for your next event.
A word from Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago
Mastro's collection of sophisticated, classic Steakhouses and Ocean Club seafood locations are recognized for their combination of world-class service, highly acclaimed cuisine, and live entertainment in an elegant yet energetic atmosphere. A truly unparalleled dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
347 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (247)romantic (160)vibrant bar scene (148)notable wine list (147)fit for foodies (138)good for groups (121)hot spot (115)neighborhood gem (43)late-night find (39)scenic view (12)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Solid and consistentJaneDoeDined on 11/22/2014Overall Mastro's is a solid place for steaks/chops/seafood. There are better steak-houses in Chicago, but Mastro's is great for what it is. I has the large bone-in filet, rare, and it was perfect however my wife's filet was over-cooked when ordered medium rare so be careful. The butter cake lives up to its reputation so save room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Masto's DiningPlasticmanDined on 11/21/2014Dining at Mastro's is a treat. We took friends out for a special birthday. The food was terrific, the ambiance exceptional, and the entire evening was perfect. They are a very professional establishment and you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary Dinner!EdSzDined on 11/15/2014Besides a small delay on the reservation time, everything was great! Giuseppe, our waiter, was top notch - professional, pleasant and attentive. Food was wonderful! It is a pricey but was worth it for this very special occasion. A bit hard to hear in the upstairs dining room but still a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much too loud for a formal business dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Good food and service but not a place to have a conversation. Too loud.Special Features:
- Choose for the right occasion1006Dined on 11/12/2014The food and presentation is outstanding! The service is impeccable! This is a steakhouse in the grandest tradition of the Chicago sort. BUT, it seemed to be most occupied by business people on expense accounts. The room was LOUD, with businessmen obviously entertaining clients. And, honestly, the restaurant is perfectly suited for that! It is NOT the place to go for a romantic evening. There is no chance for quiet conversation. Our server admitted as much, but provided a very nice touch at the end by comping us a dessert of fabulous chocolate cake on a plate drizzled with chocolate sauce spelling out "Happy 31st Anniversary!" Would I recommend this restaurant? Yes, but only for the appropriate occasion!Special Features:
- Delicious and Trendy! The place to be!FoodandtravelVIPDined on 11/8/2014The food was absolutely amazing. The beef carpaccio and their famous butter cake are must-haves! The scene was trendy and vibrant. We will most definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutStanding!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014Our waiter Brian was the BEST!! The food was top notch!!!! You get what you pay for and you will pay!!Special Features:
- Enjoyable Birthday DinnermsufefeDined on 11/8/2014We had a group of 7 here for my boyfriend's 30th. Great service, amazing steak- I got the bone-in filet 12 oz. and it was cooked perfectly. The garlic mashed potatoes were great. The waitress was attentive and friendly. We truly enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:
- BendyVIPDined on 11/7/2014Besides the very loud music in the bar and at the dinner table, although it was not as loud as the bar: food, cocktails, wine, and service were all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceDianaVIPDined on 11/6/2014The food was very good here. Both the seafood and the steaks were great. The atmosphere was great for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2014This is my forth time dining at a Marstros resturant. The other times I have gone the food has been good. This time both I and my colleague got the Kansas City cut. We both thought it was OK. Don't get me wrong, it is was but something was off. My meat was vary fatty and not the usual standard you would expect for a 50 dollar steak. Maybe they were off but for a well know steakhouse and 50-60 dollar steak it was subpar. I travel a lot for work and have eating at multiple all over, I would give Gibsons a shot.
- Top Chicago Steakhouse.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Chicago has many steak houses. Our first experience with Mastro's was excellent. I believe you should be added to our list of the top three. It's nice to know that you have other locations in the US because everyone who dined with you on 11/5 travels to all the other cities that Mastro's is located in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friends and customersloude1117VIPDined on 11/5/2014The food and service were top shelf ,however the noise level in the lower dining room was extremely loud and made normal conversations between my guests very difficult.Special Features:
- Great PlaceWinedudeVIPDined on 11/3/2014This is a very popular steakhouse, and it deserves to be. The place was very busy, yet we were seated right on time. The service is friendly and efficient. The steaks are awesome and the salads are too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularFinefoodfindersDined on 11/3/2014We visited during a large convention and took a chance for dinner sitting at the bar! Our dinner was outstanding and our service was even better! The atmosphere was beautiful and energetic! Can not wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BUSINESS DINNERGreatVIPDined on 11/3/2014ANOTHER GREAT EXPERIENCE TOOK SOME CUSTOMERS OUT TO DINNER BRENT CAME BY TO CHECK ON THINGS EVERYONE WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE FOOD, SERVICE & ATMOSPHERESpecial Features:
- Not as good as in the past.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2014The devil is in the details. My soup was luke-warm. Waiter was slow to bring the bill, and very slow to pick up the charge card. Good evening but not as a nice as last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/201435th Anniversary dinner not a stellar evening. 5:45PM reservation- waiter seemed to want to rush us in/out. Asked hostess upon arrival if we could reserve table in piano bar lounge for after dinner. She said yes but when we asked the waiter he said he would check. He cam back and said no table reserved but would see what he could do. We ordered a couple of coffee's and were looking at the desert menu when the waiter returned and said he had two seats in the lounge ready. . My bone-in ribeye was cooked perfect but it was tasteless, my wife liked the Chilean seabass.
- birthday dinnerLOVEVIPDined on 10/29/2014wonderful atmosphere - great service... and food that was top notch. Best for me though - is that I wrote ON my OpenTable reservation that we were celebrating my husbands birthday. I have MANY times put the occasion in the notes.... but this was the FIRST time that it was reviewed.... birthday food item was provided without me asking... seamlessly!! CAN WE SAY PERFECT???Special Features:
- great service, food good not greatspabDined on 10/28/2014Too dark, if waiters have to use flashlight to help diners read menu.......turn up the light. Steak a bit over cooked, sugar snap peas a bit under cooked. French onion soup excellent. Service exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster bisqueAKettsVIPDined on 10/27/2014We love the lobster bisque and butter cake at Mastros. We love the drinks, steaks and sides too but we always come back for the bisque and cake. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing meal to crown the weekFoodDocDined on 10/27/2014Went here with a small group, and it we were perfectly attended to, and the food was fantastic.Special Features:
- Great, but...LB28Dined on 10/27/2014If there's one thing I can't stand when going to a nice restaurant such as Mastro's (and others), it's that they won't seat you until your entire party has arrived. So when I make a reservation, I expect to be able to be seated as soon as I get there because I RESERVED A TABLE. If someone reserves a table, then there shouldn't be anyone else using it at the time of reservation. So we had a party of 7, and 3 of them were stuck in traffic trying to get there, the rest of us have to awkwardly stand in the entrance area with the music BLARING until they arrive. What is the point of making a reservation if you can't sit at your table when most of your party is there, and the table is empty? Really stupid rule that needs to be 86ed ASAP.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and AtmosphereBlaze12Dined on 10/27/2014I have been to Mastro's well over ten times and have never had a bad meal. In fact have always had a fantastic meal. I continue to bring out of town client to Mastro's and every client has loved the restaurant and gone back on their own when they are again in Chicago. The service is top notch. The steaks are the best. I rent private rooms often for client dinners. Mastro's has some of the best private rooms in all of Chicago. The catering manager and staff are great to work with.Special Features:
- JvCvVIPDined on 10/25/2014Food and service was great, although very loud in the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SvetlanaVIPDined on 10/25/2014I've been to Mastro's on several occasions and every time it has been a stelar experience. Last saturday night was a disappointment.. It was also my boyfriend's father's birthday and I recommended Mastro's as the perfect place to go. As it was his first time in Chicago and he wanted to go to a steakhouse. As we sat down at our table, we were forgotten. Nobody asked if this was a special occasion, it took more than half hour for the bread basket to arrive. We kept searching for our server. The steak was also not as good as I have had it before. Severely under seasoned and slightly overcooked from the medium rare I wanted. I felt bad about suggesting Mastro's for his birthday celebration.
- Excellent !sogohDined on 10/25/2014Had Japanese Wagyu 8 oz steak. Best steak ever in my entire life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and table service, butRalphmarpleVIPDined on 10/21/2014I have been to Mastro's several times and always had a very good time, service and quality are normally what you would expect from such a pricey spot, however, I was very surprised to see how unaccommodating the front desk staff was when I arrived early on my dinner reservation, I requested to be ushered to my table as I wanted to have a Martini AT MY TABLE and not the bar while I was waiting on my dinner appointment guest. granted, it was a Tuesday afternoon, the restaurant was NOT full and I was exactly 30 minutes prior to my reservation, not an hour. I was given a categorical *no* and despite of my obvious discontent, they made no attempts to accommodate, I waited standing there until my guest arrived. bad customer service!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerCopperAnjlDined on 10/21/2014I took my best friend to Mastro's for her birthday and she loved it. The staff was professional but not overly friendly which was fine by us. My steak was just okay but she absolutely loved the pork chop and the lobster bisque was delicious as well. Our server presented her with a very ample slice of chocolate cake with homemade whipped cream and I'm glad she shared. It was very good. We wanted to try their butter cake but neither of us had room for another morsel. The martini list was not disappointing either...the drinks were awesome. A bit pricey for everyday but worth the splurge for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousJma123Dined on 10/20/2014Being a vegetarian with family and friends who are mostly carnivores can be a problem when choosing a restaurant. Although Mastro's does not offer one vegetarian entree on the menu, it is one of my favorite restaurants and definitely a favorite of my steak and seafood lover friends. I am obsessed with the salads and vegetable sides. Adding a vegetarian entree would be a nice addition, it could possibly lower my caloric when dining there. Their wine list and knowledge is fabulous and very much appreciated. Speaking of Calories - Do not think about them!! Their Butter Cake is truly something that needs to be on everyone's "bucket list" words can not do it justice! If you are a key lime pie lover, I am told theirs is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014The food was great, we had a reservation so we got seated right away! It was loud worth he band, it was hard to hear my boyfriend from across the table! It was way too dark for my liking! I could see my food and I didn't like that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing anniversary dinner!passion4foodDined on 10/19/2014Where to even begin! From the moment we walked in we were greeted warmly, and sat within 5 minutes. We were at upstairs, first ones! We had the upstairs to ourselves for about 10 minutes, which was really nice. Our server was extremely knowledgeable, and took away any anxiety I had about ordering wine from their large wine menu, and impressive dinner menu. We both ordered a bone in filet, mine md.rare,and his med. The steak was juicy, tender, and BURSTING with flavor. Best. Steak. EVER. they even brought an anniversary cake at the end, which was also amazing. Generous portions, and delicious dishes. Service was incredible, and everyone seemed to have a passion for the restaurant, it was refreshing and impressive. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SklemkeDined on 10/19/2014One of my favorite steakhouses in Chicago! Awesome cocktail menu and they now serve some amazing sushi too! Can't beat the piano bar scene, best in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSlicVicDined on 10/19/2014My gf took me out for sweetest day. I'm a steak lover. I had the Porterhouse ands it's Top 2 in my opinion. Had the 24oz. Didn't get to finish it. Took it home and it was still amazing. My gf loved her filet mignon. Great vibe. Live music. Great drinks. Must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak and GlamDocAukTalksDined on 10/18/2014It's about the Bone-in Filet and flourless chocolate pudding cake...the high top tables in the bar area provide the perfect balance of intimacy and connection with the scene if you like partake in the energy of the place. The dining room is mandatory for more privacy and quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your time!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/17/2014Mastros in Scottsdale is our favorite resturant, that we visit weekly. We figured we would try in Chicago- wasted night, food was terrible for mastros! Fatty steak, cold warm spinch salad & soggy fries! Huge disappointment!! Service was excellent-- typical mastros style!
- Stellar As UsualNickAdamsDined on 10/17/2014Mastro's brought its A-game during a memorable birthday celebration dinner on Friday (10/17). From A to Z, the steaks, the seafood tower, the sides, the wine list, the service, the vibe, the entertainment at the bar, and, of course, the famous butter cake were impeccable. I have had the privilege of dining at Mastro's for business and pleasure many times, and I have yet to encounter anything other than an outstanding dining experience there. And as a life-long Chicagoan, I know how competitive and difficult it is to sustain a winning, high-end steak house here. Mastro's deserves not only to be in the conversation when it comes to the best steak house in town, it is at the top of the list. For stellar dining, you can count on Masto's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, but Over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Just not sure why the steak is 46$? We were over charged, figured it was probably for a glass of over priced wine at $18 a glass....but I should have checked the bill. I think I was in a daze from my shock at the $217 bill for two people and one glass of wine. With all of the great steak houses in Chicago.... We won't go backSpecial Features:
- Late Night ReservationRCRegularVIPDined on 10/16/2014I had a 10pm reservation and had great service. I had a group of 10 and the staff was very accommodating to our needs.Special Features:
- Great for a special occasion!BurnskiDined on 10/16/2014Although Mastro's is a bit pricey, it is worth it for a special occasion. The food is excellent and our service good not have been better. Jamie, our server, may be the best server we have had anywhere and we have been t many four star restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.