Mastro's Ocean Club - Newport Beach
8112 East Coast Hwy.
Newport Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
Mastro's Ocean Club - Newport Beach
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mastrosoceanclub.com/
- Phone: (949) 376-6990
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matt Briggs
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live entertainment & dancing nightly at the piano bar.
- Special Events: Please contact Tracy Robinson for your next event.
A word from Mastro's Ocean Club - Newport Beach
Mastro's collection of sophisticated, classic Steakhouses and Ocean Club seafood locations are recognized for their combination of world-class service, highly acclaimed cuisine, and live entertainment in an elegant yet energetic atmosphere. A truly unparalleled dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mastro's Ocean Club - Newport Beach - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Mastro's Ocean Club - Newport Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
322 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (254)romantic (172)scenic view (157)notable wine list (147)vibrant bar scene (140)fit for foodies (136)hot spot (127)good for groups (105)neighborhood gem (57)great for outdoor dining (50)late-night find (26)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- Simply a class actOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/21/2014This place is a the total package. I always come here when I am on the west coast. Looking forward to the NYC location. Already have my reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014I recently took my parents to Mastro's for a "thank you" for their help regarding my wedding. Mastro's is fun. The ambiance is quite nice but unfortunately you will get the Newport scene. Young money (perhaps novel) and alcohol. So I would not advise Mastro's as a setting for a romantic dinner. Concerning the food there were pros and cons. I had the Wagyu 8oz strip. It was reasonably price around 100 USD. The quality was great but not amazing. The cream of corn side-dish and the tomatoes/burratta were exceptional. The garlic mashed potatoes were average at best. Ruth's Chris Steakhouse holds the title for best mashed potatoes. The "regular" New York strip at Mastro's was better than Flemings and Morton's but not better than Ruth's Chris. The Wagyu at Mastros was the second best I have ever had. Very well prepared. However, if you are going to spend the money and are looking for the highest quality of preparation (my dad own's a ranch in the midwest) drive to "The Cut" in Vegas. You will not be disappointed. If give Mastro's a B+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fantastic people watchingHauteCuisineVIPDined on 11/18/2014The dramatic seafood tower with Dungeoness crab meat, lobster, oysters, shrimp, etc. was a fantastic way to start a celebratory dinner. The prime aged steaks are beautifully marbled and expertly prepared. The Stone crab claws, fish, and lobster were also great seafood choices as entrées. The lobster mashed potatoes, creamed corn, sautéed mushrooms, asparagus, and other sides made for a lovely accompaniment to the entrées. Finishing with a nice dessert wine and the signature butter cake, as well as cheesecake, chocolate cake, and other dessert options, completed the evening on a beautiful sweet note. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tursday night dinner for 3 galsIrfoodie2Dined on 11/18/2014We used Open Table to make our 7:15pm reservation for dinner. Upon arriving at the restaurant, we were greeted with friendly smiles and shown to our table. The restaurant was full and busy. Our served acknowledged us in a very timely manner and we ordered a fine bottle of white wine which was delivered chilled. Our dinner order was taken and delivered in good time. They were very accommodating as wee split 2 appetizers between the 3 of us. The food quality was excellent and the presentation was beautiful. We all were very pleased overall with the service, quality of food and ambiance. It was a bit loud but we were still able to carry on conversation without too much trouble.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Declicious food, great service!Meli11Dined on 11/15/2014Being first timers here, our expectations were met! The food was absolutely delcious! The service was great from the beginning. When we got there, we showed up a bit early for our reservations, but we were given champagne while we waited (awesome!) The service was great, the staff was very attentive. Definitely going back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought three couples for the experience.RichDined on 11/14/2014Everyone enjoyed the restaurant. Food preparation, great waitress and warm ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, top notch serviceatlovesfoodDined on 11/13/2014Dinner on a Thursday night, very busy place - reservations a must. Started in the bar, sat at the piano. Missed the entertainment, but saw the singers extensive play list. Excellent food, top notch service. Waitstaff very knowledgeable and jut the right level of attentiveness. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service/waiter Mark was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014I was insulted by the # of times I was told my reservation would be given away after 15 minutes when I called to let them know we were in traffic. At one point we were 2 miles from the restaurant when for the 4th time she told me my reservation would be given away. I was especially upset because this was a special occasion and I wanted it to go well but they felt they needed to repeat over and over when I called (3 update calls) that they only hold my reservation for 15 minutes! This review is very redundant so you can imagine how it was hearing it over and over while sitting in traffic getting stressed out! We made it at the 15 minute mark and I got my requested table but it took time to calm down because of the unneeded stress. Mark our waiter was awesome which help defuse the situation. DON'T BE LATE as the receptionist doesn't care what your excuse is or what your evening is about she only cares about filling the tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impeccable.DoctorJDined on 11/11/2014servi.ce was impeccable walking in the front door to exiting itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food ,Outstanding serviceHBfoodieVIPDined on 11/10/2014We have dined at the Ocean Club in the past, but this evening we experienced the friendliest and most efficient server we could imagine. Katy treated us like family which made my birthday celebration a treat. The fresh seafood and Prime steaks were also a hit. We have never been disappointed when we have dined here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Evening!KirkDined on 11/8/2014We were celebrating a Birthday and had a wonderful time.....The staff was outstanding, they took care of all the arrangements. They handled my Wife's Gluten Free Diet with care. This is a Really nice Restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as always!celiacgirlDined on 11/8/2014Mastro's has always been my favorite restaurant but the one in Newport is definitely the best of the best! Great location, ambiance, people watching and of course the food/service is impeccable. And for people with celiac disease, like myself, it's always been safe to eat there not only because of the gluten free menu but more importantly, the staff and kitchen are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!ech32Dined on 11/8/2014Enjoyed dinner! Classic martini was great. Reccomend the tuna tartare as an appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food1not2missDined on 11/8/2014This restaurant has fantastic food! I'd highly recommend it! Be prepared to pay for fantastic food though also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love MastrosFungirlsnightoutDined on 11/7/2014have been here many times. love the piano bar...even though the female singer wasn't there (she's unbelievable), it was still very good. Drinks were yummy, food was very good.Special Features:
- GREAT food/bring your earmuffs !MassimooVIPDined on 11/7/2014Food pricey but spectacular. Service attentive but room LOUDER THAN A JET ENGINE ! This is a place where the "beautiful people" of CA. see and are seen. Don't go here for a "quiet romantic dinner." They sat us in the bar area with an Open Table reservation, which is even LOUDER than the main restaurant. Not sure if this is worth the price, given all variables... perhaps on a "bucket list" when you can fit into your skinny clothes...Special Features:
- SchatzieSchatzieDined on 11/7/2014Outstanding quality. Food is superior quality and the sides and appetizers are fantastic., I highly recommend the butter cake for the dessert. I think they make it the best of anyone. the other reason we love this restaurant is the live music. They always have a wonderful combo singing great music. Best place to hear them is the bar or the courtyard dining. If noise is an issue for you, try coming early to watch the sun go down over the ocean. You can have all the wonderful food and the noise level is moderate. They start the music in time for the dinner and dessert.Special Features:
- Very, very goodRmanDined on 11/7/2014There is not one single thing about the experience that wasn't positive. This is a top shelf restaurant that approaches the "great" category. Please note, the portions are ample.Special Features:
- Slow ServiceClareDined on 11/7/2014I have dined here several times and always had excellent service. This past time was not the case. The waitress was extremely nice but not very attentive. She have us menus and took our drink order but didn't come back to take our order for quite a long time. When the food came out they brought the steaks and it took a few minutes to bring the sides out. Normally they are brought out at the same time. One person in my party ordered a veggie roll and it didn't come out with everyone else's food. It took a good 5 minutes more for that to come out while we all sat there with our food waiting. The manager did come over and apologize and took the veggie roll off the bill. Also, I usually get a phone call the next day and I didn't this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing flavorPhil17Dined on 11/6/2014Everything we ordered was faboulous, but be careful, didn't ask for price on specials and they were really pricey. A 5 star experience for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Superb restaurant, great selection. Extensive wine list, but high prices. Beware treat as a special occasion, but well worth it. Try to reserve a table in the open air section, centre of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazinglifelongdinerDined on 11/5/2014My name is Melissa and I took my mom(Teresa) here for the first time and she absolutely loved it. Our waitress was so attentive and sweet. Our busser Fernando was amazing! Mastro's is my favorite place to date to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great experienceElieDined on 11/5/2014Highly recommended restaurant with great choice of items, quality, and presentation. Service is very professional and the place is a great scene..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieDined on 11/4/2014We enjoyed Mastro's Ocean very much...always a treat to visit when we are in the area.Special Features:
- Expensive for party of twoDeekDined on 10/30/2014I appreciate the rationale for a alacarte menu but the sides are huge (serves six) so it makes it expensive and wasteful for a party if two. They should offer a little accompaniment to the entrees so that small parties of one to four can have some diversity of tastes without having to order large and somewhat expensive side dishes. I think we will entertain ideal of returning only with groups of six. Tables are too close for intimate and private dining and there is no view which one would expect with coast or beach in name. Locale is just a corner of high-end strip mall on a busy highway. Excellent service though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cake... Warm Butter CakeRoseguyDined on 10/30/2014We were seated at the specific table with a view I requested. The extensive wine list provides something for most any budget. Knowing portion control would permit ordering their signature desert,Warm Butter Cake, the salad, scalloped potatoes and largest filet were shared. Sharing carried no stigma. While a lettuce wedge is common, Mastro's, by request, was presented pre-chopped with ripe tomatoes, fragrant, warm, smoky bacon and creamy dressing. I believe a large 12 oz. filet cooks better. The 12 oz. filet arrived medium rare, divided into two potions, served on very, very hot plates, perfectly done. Do not leave this restaurant with out ordering the Warm Butter Cake. This desert can be shared by 2, 3 or 4 people. Very satisfying!Special Features:
- Amazing dining expSheluvstoeatDined on 10/29/2014Had dinner here on 10/29 wow we had an amazing time! Service was exceptional! We sat and ate at the bar. Special night so we decided to order the caviar for appetizer well worth it! So good! Sea bass king crab legs best we've ever had. Buttery mouthwatering. Everything was just perfect. This place gets it right! Ultimate dining exp. will definitely ret next time we're in town. 5 star!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsPattygrnDined on 10/28/2014The food is always excellent. It's pricey but worth it. Decor is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!PrincessGemDined on 10/25/2014Thank you Mastro's for another amazing dinner! Service / food and view 10plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobbierDined on 10/24/2014The food AND service was excellent. My only complaint is the noise level. You couldn't even hear the person next to you :-/ Otherwise... Extremely good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Time and Time Again...TonyVIPDined on 10/21/2014I can't say enough good things about this location. I've been to their others and they have all been great as well, though Mastro's Ocean Club exceeds them all with a great location, outstanding food and amazing service. Brian was out waiter and he did a great job. No matter what you order, steak, fish, appetizers, cocktails or desserts....it will be amazing. Enjoy!!Special Features:
- beautiful but not beautifulfin3diningDined on 10/21/2014this is a wonderful restaurant very nice clean and attentive service. Me and my date sat next to a window clear view of the ocean in front of us. very romantic very beautiful... the only thing that i didn't really like was the noise level, i kinda had to yell for my date to here me and vise versa. the table next us was quite rowdy but that's not the restaurant's fault. The food was amazing wine selectino was nice. One more thing that kind of bothered me was the optional request i had one request but didn't have anyone email call or text me of if they could or couldn'tSpecial Features:
- 16th Birthday-Mastor's Ocean ClubHodgeDined on 10/19/2014It was my son's 16th birthday celebration this past weekend. We had a fabulous table for 10, the food was delicious and the dessert was fantastic!! All in all it was a great evening. Thank you Mastro's for making our birthday celebration special.Special Features:
- Always a great experience at Mastro's.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014The ambiance was both lively and romantic. Food is always fantastic. Server was wonderful knowlegable and friendly. She made a great recommendation on wine. The restaurant made the effort to make our experience extra special by recognizing our anniversary with a dessert on the house and by wishing us a happy anniversary upon being seated. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerFoodAdventuresDined on 10/18/2014I took my girlfriend here for our 3-year anniversary. Hands down the best restaurant I've ever been to. The setting was very romantic and the service was beyond great. We ordered the South African Prawns, Fillet Mignon, and Lobster Mashed Potatoes. Everything was delicious and looked just as good as it tasted. The service was the best I've ever experienced. Our drinks never fell below the three quarters fill line and they would check up on us every 5-10 minutes. Definitely would recommend this for a romantic night out.Special Features:
- WalFrohOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Sitting in the courtyard is amazing! Food was perfect and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodDaveseDined on 10/18/2014Food was good, service was good . Restaurant was very busy so it felt like our server ( female) was preoccupied, very impersonable. Tables are too close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a consistent winner!SoCynCyrVIPDined on 10/17/2014Expensive but worth every dollar! The food is consistently amazing. Service is always friendly, fast and attentive. Not stuffy like some unnamed restaurants, :) Window tables offer a view of the ocean. The bar area is LOUD, but it is a bar area. Special note, I have no idea who the duo was on Oct.17th but that female vocalist was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aweome Birthday Celebration for 2foodfunfriendsDined on 10/17/2014Everything was fantastic....Our meals were cooked to perfection and the butter cake dessert definitely lived up to the hype!! This is on my list of top 10 for sure!Special Features:
- HappyDinerDined on 10/12/2014Great for special occasions and groups! ... Fantastic great quality food and superior friendly service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.