Mastro's Steakhouse - Costa Mesa
633 Anton Blvd.
Costa Mesa, CA 92626Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Mastro's Steakhouse - Costa Mesa
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mastrosrestaurants.com/
- Phone: (714) 546-7405
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Nick Foegal
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live entertainment & dancing nightly at the piano bar.
- Special Events: For you next event please contact Shashona Reynolds.
A word from Mastro's Steakhouse - Costa Mesa
Mastro's collection of sophisticated, classic Steakhouses and Ocean Club seafood locations are recognized for their combination of world-class service, highly acclaimed cuisine, and live entertainment in an elegant yet energetic atmosphere. A truly unparalleled dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mastro's Steakhouse - Costa Mesa - Best Restaurants in Costa Mesa ›
Mastro's Steakhouse - Costa Mesa reviews from OpenTable diners
321 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (253)romantic (193)fit for foodies (131)notable wine list (130)good for groups (89)vibrant bar scene (79)hot spot (73)neighborhood gem (31)late-night find (19)great for outdoor dining (11)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great birthday experienceJustjoyDined on 11/22/2014My first experience at Mastro's was very memorable. The food was excellent, the restaurant was gorgeous but probably would prefer to be in a smaller initimate group or romantic dinner with someone. It was hard to talk to everyone at the table without shouting a bit. But overall it was a great place to celebrate my birthday with some close friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RandyDined on 11/22/2014Fantastic food! Great svc from blonde girl whose name I cannot pronounce. Wonderful evening overall but it did get kinda noisy later into the evening. BEST steaks anywhere!Special Features:
- Great Food, Moderate ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Having a special day for a special someone calls for a special dinner. The first place I thought of was The Maestros Steakhouse. I made reservations and asked if there was anything special that could be provided or added for this special event. However, my question was returned with a response that implied i was asking for a free meal when the receptionist there said, "We don't give free dessert." This shocked me because I didn't ask for anything for free. My question was simply asking whether there was anything that could be added for special events. It actually made me feel discriminated. Maybe because my last name is of a minority ethnicity that it caused the receptionist to respond in this fashion. I ignored this and continued on with the reservation. Upon the dinner date, our server was good but the vibe was uncomfortable. The experience with the receptionist left a bad taste in my mouth. No complaints on the food. it was amazing but that was to be expected. I would rather have amazing service and mediocre food than vice versa. So I will not be coming here again - at least to this location.
- UndistinguishedTimmDined on 11/20/2014The voters who made Mastros in Costa Mesa Art's District the OC's #1 Steakhouse must usually dine at Denny's. The $16 Mastros salad is a Miracle Whip inspired ode to blandness. The $56 New York steak came hot and tough. The asparagus was okay, and the butter cake dessert was quite good. The service on a Thursday night was just okay. The room was so dark they passed out pen lights with the menus. I will not return.
- Excellent high-end steakhouse.BobBDined on 11/16/2014This is not a cheap restaurant, expect to drop $75-$100+ per person without drinks. But it lives up to the pricing. The service is outstanding, Lobster bisque was among the best I've ever had. Steaks were out of this world. My only minor quibble was the brussels sprouts (gigantic sprouts were used, personally I prefer smaller sized ones) but this is personal preference. Next time I need to try the lobster mashed potatoes. I got a follow-up call the next day from their concierge to make sure I had enjoyed my meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a wonderful evening!kathDined on 11/15/2014Our server, Alec, was attentive, funny and knowledgeable. We started with the shrimp cocktail. Giant chilled shrimp with the hottest horseradish on the planet, so delicious! Followed by the lobster bisque, so creamy with giant pieces of lobster. Hubby and I shared a bone-in filet cooked to perfection and so tender, along with au gratin potatoes (very generous portion). For dessert we shared the warm butter cake. The name says it all, this cake is so delicious and it's served with fresh whipped cream, decadent and rich, that was the only thing we had leftovers of to take home. Paired everything with a delicious Kenwood Cabernet Sauvignon and had a cappuccino and a glass of port with dessert. We were still talking about how delicious our dinner was days later. Thank you Mastro's and Alec for a deliciously decadent evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/14/2014If you want one of the best steaks you've ever eaten and aren't whiny about the cost of it, then Mastros is for you. I had the Wagyu special, onion rings, scalloped potatoes, and asparagus. It was one of the best meals I've had!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and misses.LoveJones34Dined on 11/12/2014PROS: Food was very good. I loved the butter cake and lobster mashed potatoes. CONS: waitress was very robotic not personable and seemed more interested in making sure another table she was serving tmhad a more memorable night. The servers mixed our order's. sloppily served our food and even mixed our to go boxes up as well. We got served our drinks close to the end of dinner before dessert. I also noticed they gave the other table 2 birthday desserts for one person and only gave my friend one . I felt incomplete and not satisfied with the service here. I've had better service from Red Lobster.Special Features:
- Bring your own ear plugs and flashlightBijouGDined on 11/11/2014Valet service was prompt. The front desk staff were very polite and table was ready on time. Table itself was in a very dark corner, so dark that the service staff carried flash lights with them (I am serious). We borrowed one to read the menu (no, I am not that old). Food is average. Very similar to other restaurants at the same price range. I could not see my food or my plate (Honestly). Meat quality was average prime, no WOW here about the food quality. Extremely, extremely loud to the point that you have to yell to speak to each other. Good thing is that the table next to you yelling is great entertainment. Service is excellent. Actually the only good thing about the place is the service (thank god they were wearing white so you could see them as they came up to you).
- best steak I've eaten thereFeisty000Dined on 11/9/2014I dine here a lot but for some reason, last Sunday's chef's cut ribeye steak was the best I've had. It was perfectly cooked, incredibly juicy and tender with the right amount of seasoning. Two people at my table had the tomahawk and enjoyed it as well. We even wanted ask for the chef's name that night but forgot to before we left. We also had the blue point oysters and they were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STEAKOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014The sakad, bread basket and vegetables were delicious. However the Ribeye chop wasn't the quality we expected which was a disappointment. The manager took the steak back and took it off our bill. Our service was excellant.Special Features:
- DisappointingSteakmeisterDined on 11/8/2014Mastro's THINKS it's an upscale steakhouse, but it has miles to go. The jargon-filled, technical monologue by our waiter of how Mastro's selects and grades their meat was pointless and added nothing to the dining experience (Mastro's must have thought our party consisted of butchers out on the town). Our appetizers took a tour of the restaurant and were served to another table before finally making it to our table, lukewarm. We're still waiting for the bucket of ice for our bottled beverages. Steaks were just okay -- nothing special. Portion sizes of the sides are huge - made to share - which was was not made clear by the website, menu, or waiter. A bonus -- the lounge act performing alt rock in soft rock form (think KROQ meets KOST).
- As good as it getsSTWLJWDined on 11/8/2014I was there twice in two weeks. Once for business and the other for my wife's birthday. Both experiences were great and it was noticeable how different the service approaches were depending on the event. Highly entertaining and engaging for the business group. Much more solicitous and focused on us for the birthday dinner. It was the same staff. Kevin was lead and additionally has a high level of knowledge of wines. Great choices for each event. Wow food. Ironically, I still believe that Ruth's Chris has the best steak but Mastro's has to be a strong candidate for best overall high end dining and steak in OC.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014Food was ok. Service and ambiance was excellent. I ordered the sea bass which was kind of plain and bland. My mom's cream of corn is better. This corn was very runny. The sautéd spinach was overcooked and drenched in butter. The bread was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonaldoRonaldoDined on 11/7/2014THE whole dining experience was Perfect. Dining out is one of my favorite things to do. From beginig to end perfect and very professional! I have no problem in recommending this restaurant to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceJohnny3115Dined on 11/6/2014Absolutely delicious food and very great service from waitress and wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantmikjrDined on 11/6/2014After the Ritz in Newport closed, we lost our favorite place to eat. Well... looks like we may have found another one... Mastro's. I'm not a huge steak eater, and had actually planned on having fish... but the steaks sounded so good, I couldn't resist. All of the complimentary dishes were great... from the bread basket to the Butter Cake at the end. The Wedge Salad was exceptional... and the Pepper Steak was great! My only complaint was the restaurant was extremely cold were we were seated. We had a vent about us and it was blowing right on us. I had a long sleeve shirt and suit coat and it was still cold. Next time we will try the Newport location and try the fish selection.Special Features:
- DisappointingJonasDined on 11/1/2014Mastro's was told this was dinner after engagement proposal, but other than about 3 people congratulating us, nothing else was done. No cake, no glitter, squat. Kinda cheap for a supposedly high end restaurant, imo. We asked for one of the steaks well done to the point of being a little dry, and was told not to order it. Apparently we insulted someone? We instead received a bland fish, that was not that fresh. Medium well steak was OK. Sides and dessert were good. Wine was great! Mastro's apparently doesn't charge tips on credit cards. Are we supposed to leave cash only? How do you reward service if you can't leave a tip? Will not return, too many other restaurants out there. Life is short and mastro's is expensive!Special Features:
- Excellent Anniversary DinnerEricHartDined on 11/1/2014Another excellent meal at Mastros ! Live Maine Lobster and the Wagyu New York were superb ! Amazing flavor in the Wagyu steak and the lobster full of robust flavor and weighed in at 3 pounds. We tried the Gorgonzola Mac N Cheese and what a full flavored mac n cheese it was. The chef made us a great chocolate anniversary cake that was delicious, rich chocolate. We also had to enjoy their signature Butter Cake ! Always a hit with my wife. We could hear the live music from the bar, which was a great addition to the romantic night. The crab legs and Blue Point oysters were an excellent pre dinner snack. Fresh and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencesocalfoodsDined on 10/31/2014I found this place was near by and decided to give it a try, and I am glad I did. upon arrival, my wife and I were greeted outside of the front door, and was guided to our seat. server was very friendly and able to give us suggestions on the menu. we tried Japanese wagyu & chef's cut newyork with mushroom & asparagus on the sides, along with a bottle of cab. steaks were cooked perfectly and enjoyed everything we were served. there were live music going on for the entire time which added romantic atmosphere. there was a small mistake on our dessert, but they apologized and got it corrected. overall, it was a great dining experience with pleasant surprises.Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/31/2014I've dined here numerous times while the food is outstanding the service from Tony is even better. If you dine here I recommend Tony or Patrick K section you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best restaurantluv2dinewithkymDined on 10/30/2014I've never been to a finer restaurant than mastro's. I was there with a very special lady frI end of mine from Lake forest and I made quite an impression thanks to you and your fine staff. I spend my time between La Quinta and Pasadena, I will visit your restaurant In Palm desert and Costa mesa whenever possible. Thank you again for fine dining experience. Bill BeasleySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerjlomasoneVIPDined on 10/29/20149 friends went to celebrate a birthday. They gladly gave us 4 checks for our party. Every morsel and bite was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- group effectiveSTWLJWDined on 10/28/2014Mastro's Costa Mesa is primarily a high end business group location. In spite of that, they do it in a remarkably warm setting and the guests may go gaga over at least one of the dishes. For a personal meal of 2 to 4, I would still drive extra miles to their ocean locations. Beware that the wine list is extraordinarily expensive. Make sure you get a well trained Somm who will make the expense worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for special occassionsFunLunchVIPDined on 10/27/2014This was my first time out at this Mastro's but I've been to the one in Chicago quite a few times. The food here was delicious as expected and the wine pours are large. If you want a nice spot for dinner I highly recommend Mastro's but it will certainly cost ya some change.Special Features:
- Reservation and requestsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014Great food and servers are great. Very disappointed about how I made a reservation for an anniversary with spacific requests. Quite dinning area and a booth. When we arrived we ha to wait 15 min past my reservation because she acted as my request was a burdon. I made the reservation with this. Her option was putting us in the noisy lounge. Was not the start I was thinking about when I thought of a romantic evening. Hey guys if you ask special requests when you make a reservation maybe you should listen and do what the customer is requesting. Very disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphare and foodMikyDined on 10/25/2014I love when I went to eat their first time, I recommend to every one to go their if you love steaks, this the best place to go, I will go again this month.Special Features:
- so soAshNicMacDined on 10/25/2014I've been to fancy places before and I had high hopes for Mastros. I expected it to be better than anything before, but it was ok. I came here with my boyfriend for our anniversary and it was way too loud for me where I couldn't hear my boyfriend most of the time and too many kids around.. but the food was amazing!Special Features:
- Just okayJblnDined on 10/23/2014I think that I would have enjoyed my experience a lot better if my hostess(s) weren't snarky little b-words. There were 3 of them at the stand and 1 of them was very nice. She took our photo for us at the end of the night. The other two were kind of self-righteous as if working at Mastro's made them better than God. Overall I had an okay time. I didn't really enjoy my meal, but that's because I'm not that big of an eater, not because of the quality of the food. Server was exceptional, the waitstaff came by to check on us every so often. They were polite, even the person who boxed up our food. I liked him. I give the waitstaff a 5/5.Special Features:
- Very invitingJoefutofuDined on 10/23/2014My friend and I weren't your typical diners: we were severely under dressed and looked like teenagers. However, everybody from the hostess to the waiters treated us no different from any other diner. They were very professional about it. This waiter did aggressively try to get us to order additional things, for instance he asked us what kind of sides we would like after we finished ordering our main courses. It wasn't until when we were paying for the dinner that we realized the sides weren't free! Not that big of a deal. The steaks were no-nonsense, just a plain plate with your choice of steak. I imagine that's why a side dish is recommended, so the plate doesn't seem too boring. Steak was excellent and so were the sides.Special Features:
- PerfectKT0000Dined on 10/19/2014Food & service were fantastic. Come hungry as everything seemed to be large portions. We were there for a convention weekend and brought a group of 12. Was the BEST DINNER we had out of the 5 nights we ate out at nice restaurants all over Anaheim. Worth the drive if you are coming from the Anaheim convention centerSpecial Features:
- AMAZINGQueenbeeVIPDined on 10/18/2014From the minute we walked into the restaurant the ambiance was stunning! We enjoyed shrimp cocktail for appetizers, wedge salad, filet mignon lobster mashed potatoes, crab gnocchi, Brussels sprouts and the famous butter cake for dessert! Definitely will be back!!! ❤️❤️Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fine dinner at Mastro'sssddsDined on 10/10/2014Great dinner and great service. Always recommended for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itkristengreyDined on 10/10/2014Spent our anniversary here. Food was incredible. They even brought us a special dessert to celebrate. Very impressed. Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceGastroguyDined on 10/10/2014The service was top notch. Our server gave great recommendations to make our meal wonderful. The food was served timely. We both had steak and it was cooked to perfection. I would highly recommend Mastro's for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CryogenicDined on 10/10/2014Excellent! Great Service! Delicious! Very relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!TommyLam714Dined on 10/8/2014It was an amazing experience! Thank you for making this a memorble moment for me and especially making this night special for my girlfriend. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite DiningAlexanderGDined on 10/8/2014Definitely not casual dining spot (unless you have deep pockets). Their entire menu is absolute top notch, with great drinks from the bar, and excellent service and recommendations from the waiters. Would definitely come back if I felt like eating some absolutely amazing quality food for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place for special occasionTweetieDined on 10/4/2014Always love this place to meet up with friends for birthday celebration. Service is impeccable, foods always done to your liking. My steak always perfect the way I wanted.Special Features:
- Worth another visit but....Aloha1734VIPDined on 10/4/2014We frequent Mastro's Costa Mesa a few times a year. Typically it's above & beyond in every category. The evening started off perfect as we're use to. Then the editor did a couple things- 1- it was our anniversary & kept trying to get my husband & I to order more alcohol because "you know, Mastros is known for making memories & you could go home & work on baby #2". It was intersting while my husband was in the restroom he mentioned that & at a later point revisited it once my husband was at the table. 2- we waited 35 mins for the check! I had to flag down a support staff to get it. After dessert was delivered we never saw the waiter again! A manager delivered our check. Very odd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.