1358 Mason Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.masonpacific.com/
- Phone: 4153747185x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday, Saturday 5:30pm-10:30pm
Closed Sundays & Mondays
**We will be closed for Summer Vacation from Sunday June 29th through Monday July 7th, reopening for dinner service at 5:30 on Tuesday July 8th**
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean McTiernan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mason Pacific
Mason Pacific is a casually elegant neighborhood bistro nestled along the cable car line at the intersection of Nob Hill, Russian Hill and Chinatown. Chef Sean McTiernan crafts a seasonal menu of simple, flavorful dishes, creatively elevated through technique and preparation. The wine list features food friendly wines and aims to offer value at every price range, from a simple but delicious rose, to rare and compelling vintage bottles.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mason Pacific reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (75)fit for foodies (63)romantic (49)special occasion (46)notable wine list (34)hot spot (22)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Inventive and great cuisinePatprovenceDined on 9/19/2014Enjoyable experience, good valet parking, friendly and efficient service, refined but warm deco... And the amazing work of the chef. Order the featured dishes, share and ask Sean to come to your table (if not busy in the kitchen) to undestand how he assembled these incredible feasts. You'll be stunned by the work and passion that he's putting into it.Special Features:
- A gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Every dish was splendid. Service was superb. I greatly enjoyed my visit and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Had a great night with two good friends for a fancy dinner out away from the kids. The service was great, and the food amazing - creative and delicious. We liked the music selection, but like most places still a little too loud. Could be a little softer to allow better quality visiting. Because of the price (about $200 for three, including one glass wine each), this is a special occasions place for me. I'll definitely go back when I have such another excuse however!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IslanderVIPDined on 9/10/2014Very nice neighborhood feel wth good food in a great setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/6/2014Excellent food and service! Loved the neighborhood feel to the intimate restaurant. Meeting the chef was a bonus!Special Features:
- Generally fantasticMuncherDined on 8/29/2014Wonderful food, ambiance, creativity, presentation, service, scenic cable car view from window. Plus personal attention from a warm chef, who was friendly and self-effacing. Our only complaint was so-so desert selection. Definitely a winner. Up there with Frances and State Bird as a favorite.Special Features:
- EvelynDined on 8/27/2014We got there about 5minutes early and were told that they cannot sit us until 8 the reservation time, so we went to the bar to wait, and didn't get seated until about 8:15 I had to go and remind them. The food was good but it took so long ,n out waiter was very good though. I'm happy I went , but I didn't think it was anything special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/13/2014We were greeted by our waiter as he leaned on a railing adjacent to the table, which he continued to do upon the arrival of bottled water which he poured from that location. The food was okay, but the attitude of the waiter was off-putting, especially for spending $200.00 on two entrees, a bottle of wine and a dessert.
- Lovely!!!DeliaVIPDined on 8/12/2014Love this restaurant, the food and service are wonderful, and perfect to take friends for special occasions, the decor is beautiful!!! Delia CrawfordSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange vibe - bad servicesbettDined on 8/6/2014Wasn't impressed at all. Strange vibe, bad service. Good food but not great. SF has too many restaurants to be returning to this one again. Good luck. Get it together.Special Features:
- DisappointingNeighborDined on 8/1/2014When we have a reservation in advance, we expect it to be honored. As much as we love the ambiance and food and wine, to wait 45 minutes for our reserved table spoiled the experience. If you have an event to attend, this much waiting and delay is not tolerable.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Friday Night OutAllaboutfoodDined on 8/1/2014Service and food were great. The server was really attentive and the rib eye for 2 was heavenly good. However, the cauliflower side dish was a bit too small diced for us. But overall, it definitely is a lovely place to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just keeps getting better!AdamVIPDined on 7/31/2014It is rare that a restaurant just keeps getting better with each visit, but that is exactly what happens with Mason-Pacific: the grilled octopus, perfect; the duck confit, perfect; the fish of the day (halibut), the best preparation I have ever tasted. From the staff who are attentive, pleasant (they make you feel you are valued, but not obnoxious) to the nice mix of local and French wine, to the amazing food- perfect! And just when you think nothing could possibly be outdone by the wonderful evening, the hostess sets the hook and recommends with confidence we share the "peanut butter and chocolate pot-de-creme" -- that's it! My new favorite restaurant in the city!Special Features:
- Unexpected culinary experienceBavaroSurgeonDined on 7/29/2014Coming all the way from Europe (Munich, Germany), this fabulous restaurant duely deserves being mentioned in several restaurant guides (Bib gourmand in the Michelin Guide and among the 25 best SF restaurants in Gayot's). Impeccable appetizers, not lacking originality, hard-to-beat entrecôte with a remarkable variety of 13 (!) different sauces / toppings: centered around a veal bone-red wine reduction were dry-frozen capers, charcoal dissolved in olive oil for the real barbecue flavour, tasty mustard and its seeds, sea salt, ginger, sauce Béarnaise, intense but not insulting garlic sauce, steak pepper and some more. But still now, three weeks later, I still like to remember my dinner experience in Mason Pacific!Special Features:
- Fabulous food and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2014Perfect combo of delicious food, delightful service and fantastic ambiance. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findLabrat1Dined on 7/22/2014Read the reviews on Open Table and decided to take a chance. The menu is interesting with a strong french country influence. If you like french wine, the food compliments it nicely. I was challenged with the wine but my wife enjoyed it. I had tagliatelle and my wife had halibut. The cauliflower side dish was AMAZING - delicious!!! The tagliatelle was superb as well. Wine list was limited. It was a little pricey for my taste but it was a nice place to go for a unique experience. We ate early which was good as it was peaceful. It tended to get louder by the time we left (around 7:30).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, too expensivevacayeatinDined on 7/18/2014The food was really good but the wine and the food was wayyy over priced. Also our waiter was really slow to ask us if we needed anything.Special Features:
- Good Food, Mediocre ServiceMcf96VIPDined on 7/17/2014Went there to celebrate my friends birthday & reserved 3+ weeks in advance. I called a few days earlier to ask if we could move the time by 30 minutes and was told that we'd have a limited time at our table. We were there for 2+ hours and only half of the restaurant was full for most of that time. Also, I mentioned to the hostess that we were celebrating a birthday. By the time we finished our meal (we had 2 wonderful starters, 3 fantastic entrees, plus a very pricey bottle of wine) we were too full. When the birthday girl ordered glass of dessert wine only, the waiter said "well I guess we can't put a candle on that." Really? I guess the restaurant couldn't spare a scoop ice cream?! What a disappointing end to an otherwise nice evening.Special Features:
- Best meal in SF YETKtMacDined on 7/15/2014This was probably the best meal I have had in SF EVER and one of the best of my life. The service was so attentive and spot on, but also super friendly and not in your face. The ambiance was beautiful, both upscale and cozy. And when I say cozy I don't mean small, I mean warm and inviting. Now let's get to the food! Chef Sean McTiernan is just genius with his menu. He came out a few times and talked to us about the meal and what we ordered. He explained the ingredients and where he got them, using all different places in the state. Each item was created and made with such care. And man were they decadent and just plain GOOD! Also has a great and full wine list! So there you good. Don't let this awesome place pass you by. Treat yourself!Special Features:
- great food and ambienceJuliaVIPDined on 7/11/2014We've been there many times. My husband loves their burger, which is a regular on the menu. I enjoy exploring their menu. It's always innovative and delightful. We really like this place. The only problem is how to get a table...I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!Donovan59VIPDined on 7/9/2014We've been trying to get to Mason Pacific for months and finally made it for my hubby's belated birthday celebration. It was worth the wait. The food was simply amazing - every dish was better than the one before - which I didn't think was possible. Simple menu with just a few choices, but everything that comes out of the kitchen is executed beautifully. SO happy to have MP in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Really excellent dining experienceBonnVIPDined on 6/26/2014Both the food and service were excellent. We had the outstanding beet salad and fresh halibut caught locally that day. Both were perfectly prepared. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood optioncnalscVIPDined on 6/21/2014Mason Pacific is a neighborhood gem located at the confluence of North Beach, Chinatown, and the Union Square area. It's a long narrow space, divided into a vibrant bar area (which has tables) and a dining area. The grey walls with white trim are beautiful. The menu is limited but every dish we had was wonderful - duck rilettes, beets with horseradish, little gem salad, duck breast, fabulous hamburger. Service was friendly and efficient with no mistakes. Interesting wine list. If you're looking something in the neighborhood and don't want to make a production out of dining, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VirginVIPDined on 6/20/2014Everything about Mason Pacific is spot on....the Hostess Emily, the staff Joseph and Mike and of course the chef, Sean is doing some remarkable yet affordable dishes and sides. That fried chicken, that duck rillettes, that ribeye those side squash, I just missed the octopus, I hope it comes back!!Special Features:
- ShanDined on 6/17/2014They were 30 minutes late seating us which was frustrating. Then by the time we sat down, they ran out of their famous burger. If we were seated on time, at 8:30pm, we would have been able to order this - we saw burgers being served to tables as we were waiting. very frustrating.Special Features:
- Another great dinnerRobKVIPDined on 6/14/2014It was my third time at Mason Pacific. Excellent dinner as usual, nice service and ambience. Will be back!!!Special Features:
- Awesome food every single time.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/14/2014The food is fresh and seasonal. The menu is seasonal and service is on point too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant - solid menuOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/13/2014Overall 4.5 stars Mason Pacific is a must visit restaurant. The decor is tradition/modern and warm... hard to pull off but they did and it's gorgeous. With our group we sampled quite a bit of the menu and every single item was delicious. I don't think you can go wrong. Service was also right on the money. Apps: Crispy Fete with pea puree and Fried chicken Entrees: Tagliatelle, Charred Broccoli and Burger. Dessert: Chocolate Pot de Creme - I don't even like dessert and this was amazing. Wines - reds were better than whites by the glass. Their bottle list looked quite impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlowtorchcrayivpVIPDined on 6/13/2014Never had a sous chef come out to personally deliver an insult before. We're Opentable VIPS, have 10s of 1,000's of points. We eat out ALOT; worldwide. We've been to M/P before; loved it. Had their signature dish, the +$100 Ribeye. Its awesome. That's why we were back. Well, that, a nice wine list, "local" ambiance, and wonderful, attentive service. So, we order the Ribeye, medium-rare, they bring it in its skillet and say its going back to the kitchen "to rest"; OK. Looks great, all good. When finally served, it's ice cold. Oops. We send it back; Double oops. Cold is not cool. Not for +$100. Sous chef comes out with a blowtorch; to re-heat it; at the table. Seriously? Thought my wife was going to bust into tears. That was a first. C Ray
- DININ AT MASON PACIFICcorkyDined on 6/12/2014service, food, waiters/waitresses/ all very good. I found the prices expensive; I was taken to dinner and it was reserved as a birthday dinner but when no one ordered dessert, nothing was said. i am not sure that anything is done in this restaurant for special occasions but it was not in evidence. I did appreciate a telephone call as I had asked for a later reservation and someone did call regarding my request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findcarmelvillagerVIPDined on 6/7/2014First time visitors, on recommendation of friends. Small friendly atmosphere. Loved the decor as well as the food. Being so close to the Napa/Sonoma wine regions, would prefer to see some offerings of California wines rather than focusing so much on French wines almost exclusively. Pasta with truffle and egg was a stand out dish. Charming to see the cable cars go by in front of the restaurant and were grateful for valet parking convenience. Great value pricing for quality food.Special Features:
- Great food, pleasant atmosphereLuvtoobakeDined on 6/6/2014This is my second visit to Mason Pacific, each time, to celebrate a friend's birthday. We had a group of 5, and were seated by the window overlooking Mason Street. Had a great time waving at the cable car riders going down to Fisherman's Wharf. We ordered the rib eye steak, duck, all the sides, two starters, topped off with two desserts all to share. Perfect amount. Second time ordering the ribeye and it is to die for! Attentive and pleasant wait staff. Consistently enjoyable experience. Will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemGorgeousGrubDined on 6/5/2014I've been a few times and on each occasion was welcomed warmly, experienced superior service, enjoyed wonderful food and sipped exceptional wines from an impressive list. Love the concept of being able to have a more casual or more formal experience, depending in which dining room you are seated. Regardless, it's the same wonderful service, food & drink.Special Features:
- Nice place in the neighborhoodLilyDined on 5/29/2014Mason Pacific is a great little spot in a lovely neighborhood. A nice choice for a special occasion or just a pleasant dinner out. It isn't outrageously expensive, and the food was tasty, so it would be a recommendation to friends. It is on the cable car line which can add a fun element to your evening too. The service was less than stellar, the server seemed hard of hearing and got some things wrong. Also asked to share a dessert and was charged for two. We think it was done on purpose, which is crumby. Otherwise a nice place that I would visit again.Special Features:
- Lovely gem!!!DeliaVIPDined on 5/28/2014What a surprise, was invited by a friend that loves Mason Pacific, and I can walk from my place. The food was wonderful, the decor is very refined, great service, loved it, cannot wait to go back. Delia CrawfordSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 151 reviews are from the Mason Pacific reviews archive.
- urban & classic and chichoneeNmeeDined on 5/17/2014We ordered the buttermilk fried chicken and gem lettuces to start. They made a fantastic pair and were quite lite, crispy and delicious. Our entrees were the rabbit sugo, absolutely scrumptious!, and the Halibut with lemon smashed potatoes and asparagus. I loved the pairing of the lemon smash with the halibut. I thought the fish was very good, but my bar is the halibut at Boulevard and I still think that's a little better. Overall we felt the restraunt was a real find, and will go back with friends. Complaints, service felt a little hovery and rushed. Wine list/ food pairings was not very strong. The wine is expensive so I would expect the pairings to be something more and really enhance the flavors of the very wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/14/2014I had high expectations, but quickly went downhill after we were seated 30min after our reservation, the waiter "forgot" one of the dishes we ordered and the service was generally inattentive. Not sure I'd be back.
- Great for a special occassionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014It's a great little spot for a special occasion or a nice date night. It's a little pricey, but is a good spot for something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandraOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2014The BEST meal I've had in San Francisco to date! Not just one dish stood out, every dish was fantastic! A must try!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestkashmoneyrekordsDined on 4/30/2014The epitome of a neighborhood gem, Mason Pacific never disappoints. Dylan was attentive and informative as always, and once again went the distance to make our experience more enjoyable. We ate slowly and never felt rushed, and the food couldn't have been better. Get the octopus and the steak. Seriously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.