1358 Mason Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.masonpacific.com/
- Phone: (415) 374-7185
- Hours of Operation:
Friday, Saturday 5:30pm-10:30pm
Open Sundays starting December 7th 5:30pm-10:00pm
Our "Sunday Pairings" menu will be starting December 7th and every Sunday following. Join us for a limited menu with wine pairings every Sunday!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean McTiernan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mason Pacific
Mason Pacific is a casually elegant neighborhood bistro nestled along the cable car line at the intersection of Nob Hill, Russian Hill and Chinatown. Chef Sean McTiernan crafts a seasonal menu of simple, flavorful dishes, creatively elevated through technique and preparation. The wine list features food friendly wines and aims to offer value at every price range, from a simple but delicious rose, to rare and compelling vintage bottles.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mason Pacific reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (67)fit for foodies (63)romantic (40)special occasion (35)hot spot (25)notable wine list (24)good for groups (5)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- places have great food but this was an experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014I cannot remember a better experience because not only was the food fantastic but the service experience was the best!! Chef Sean visited our table several times to passionately give details on the preparation of several dishes. We ordered the Octopus but requested a split as an appetizer so the presentation on was separate plates. It was as good or better than anything I have had on the Portuguese or Spanish coast! Also had the bone in Rib Eye for two that comes with over a dozen condiments like dried caper, different salts, rubs, aioli, etc. It was SO MUCH FUN!!! I can't wait to go pack. Take a group of four or more and have a BALL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Potential disaster became a fantastic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/19/2014We had 7:30 reservations to celebrate our daughter's return from abroad....and ran into earlier diners who seemed oblivious to time and decency! We waited over an hour to be seated, and were really hungry and more than a bit put out. We were treated so beautifully by the staff..not to mention the chef...that it became one of our most memorable dining experiences! Thank you Mason Pacific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic if not for a large groupScottishHippieVIPDined on 11/7/2014Came here on a Friday night for the first time: sweet decorations, very romantic, everyone's decently dressed and likely on a date. The food was fantastic without fail. My favorite was the chicken ballatine--four or five tender pieces, crispy layer of skin, tiny pinch of microgreens to the side. Perhaps the only criticism in that regard is the [small] portion size relative to the cost. The bigger problem was a group of 8 or so obnoxious guys in shorts and sneakers that were allowed in and proceeded to raise the noise level by many, many decibels as they drank and drank, while everyone around them now struggled to yell above them to be heard. I assume groups this big aren't common and would absolutely give this place another shot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 11/7/2014Superb food, excellent service. I had an appetizer of ravioli filled with puréed duck, rabbit and veal; it was wonderful. My entree was chicken stuffed with truffles over a sweet potato purée; it was exquisite. Dessert was chocolate pot de creme with peanut butter mousse, equally terrific. Highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalzucchinitimeDined on 11/6/2014The decor is lovely and hip, the service was helpful and prompt, and the food was very much "mmmm" after every bite. I went with my mother, who lives in NYC and always loves trying new Bay Area food, and we were impressed. Definitely a pricy menu, but worth it if you're looking for something outrageously tasty and stylish. High marks for customer service as well, we left feeling like very special guests. Try the tagliatelle. Next time we'll be back for the house ribeye with garnishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be Michelin ratedImacatch01VIPDined on 11/6/2014It's been awhile since I've been here but it's great to know nothing has changed :) Great ambiance, great staff, fantastic food! I love that a restaurant has all these attributes without the attitude or big ticket price! I'll be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best burgers ive hadSFVanNastyDined on 11/4/2014I came in not expecting to get a burger since Mason Pacific is an upscale place, but after seeing 80% of the orders being burgers, i decided i must try it. The burger did not disappoint. I think you have to get it Joe's way too in order to get the full effect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem!SusanVIPDined on 10/25/2014Excellent wait staff. Ambience romantic. We ordered the 52 oz prime rib. It came with several inventive sauces to share. For starters we had the octopus. There were tooany Flavors that were married together it made our palettes singSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donovan59VIPDined on 10/17/2014Beautiful, creative, delicious food; I wish I could eat everything on the menu at each visit as the food is just outstanding. Friendly management and staff and just a special neighborhood spot.Special Features:
- KenandBarbieDined on 10/16/2014Nice neighborhood meeting place with a menu that is limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/10/2014The food here is good. Not too expensive and a wide variety so everyopne will be pleased. It didn't knock our socks off, but we enjoyed ourselves and will probably be back.Special Features:
- California at its best.GerpVIPDined on 10/10/2014California cuisine meets French twists. Small, but very interesting menu choices. The octopus is out of this world -- very tender, no gristle and well prepared. I love the mushroom fresh pasta with lightly poached egg. Everything this fresh, innovative combinations and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingSFCCVIPDined on 10/4/2014Love the look of this place from the outside and almost went a few times but the menu looked a little too rustic/traditional for me. I went and it wasn't. It was sophisticated and elegant and the food was creative and expertly executed. One of my dining partners is a very new transplant to SF and proclaimed it better than the last place we went to dinner: Michael Mina. Not sure about that, but at 1/5 the price we'll take it. Very small, almost awkwardly laid out space, decent service, but the food trumped all.Special Features:
- A nice discoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2014This place was exactly what we were looking for - a small, relatively quiet, neighborhood restaurant serving high quality food from a carefully focused menu. The food was excellent, the service was flawless and the wine recommendation was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mason PacificMissKittyDined on 9/30/2014I had been traveling for 10 days and 9/30!was the last night. I found Mason Pacific on Open Table and based on the reviews decided to give them a try, and what a gem. The food and service were amazing. You must try peach, heirloom appetizer and the fried chicken appetizer OMG!!! For the main course my son and I shared the ribeye and it was cooked to perfection. You must try this neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Foodie quality family run bistro...pigaliciousDined on 9/27/2014Food was excellent. Pork chops were unexpectedly moist. The porcini pasta was tasty and a good value. The steak for two was superb. Special dishes aside, the prices are quite reasonable. Great family run neighborhood restaurant. This restaurant is not ideal for larger parties. My opinion is that this space is perfect for tables of 2-4. There are really only two tables in this restaurant that will comfortably accommodate parties of five or six. Parking is impossible, take a cab or valet.Special Features:
- too high expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014overcooked octopus, very limited wine selection, and lackluster salads do not deserve these prices
- Inventive and great cuisinePatprovenceDined on 9/19/2014Enjoyable experience, good valet parking, friendly and efficient service, refined but warm deco... And the amazing work of the chef. Order the featured dishes, share and ask Sean to come to your table (if not busy in the kitchen) to undestand how he assembled these incredible feasts. You'll be stunned by the work and passion that he's putting into it.Special Features:
- A gem!SFNOVODined on 9/16/2014Every dish was splendid. Service was superb. I greatly enjoyed my visit and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Had a great night with two good friends for a fancy dinner out away from the kids. The service was great, and the food amazing - creative and delicious. We liked the music selection, but like most places still a little too loud. Could be a little softer to allow better quality visiting. Because of the price (about $200 for three, including one glass wine each), this is a special occasions place for me. I'll definitely go back when I have such another excuse however!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IslanderVIPDined on 9/10/2014Very nice neighborhood feel wth good food in a great setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/6/2014Excellent food and service! Loved the neighborhood feel to the intimate restaurant. Meeting the chef was a bonus!Special Features:
- Fantastic in every wayValentinesDelightVIPDined on 9/4/2014This place has incredible food and great service. I highly recommend this place, especially the porter house for two.Special Features:
- Generally fantasticMuncherDined on 8/29/2014Wonderful food, ambiance, creativity, presentation, service, scenic cable car view from window. Plus personal attention from a warm chef, who was friendly and self-effacing. Our only complaint was so-so desert selection. Definitely a winner. Up there with Frances and State Bird as a favorite.Special Features:
- EvelynDined on 8/27/2014We got there about 5minutes early and were told that they cannot sit us until 8 the reservation time, so we went to the bar to wait, and didn't get seated until about 8:15 I had to go and remind them. The food was good but it took so long ,n out waiter was very good though. I'm happy I went , but I didn't think it was anything special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/13/2014We were greeted by our waiter as he leaned on a railing adjacent to the table, which he continued to do upon the arrival of bottled water which he poured from that location. The food was okay, but the attitude of the waiter was off-putting, especially for spending $200.00 on two entrees, a bottle of wine and a dessert.
- Lovely!!!DeliaVIPDined on 8/12/2014Love this restaurant, the food and service are wonderful, and perfect to take friends for special occasions, the decor is beautiful!!! Delia CrawfordSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange vibe - bad servicesbettDined on 8/6/2014Wasn't impressed at all. Strange vibe, bad service. Good food but not great. SF has too many restaurants to be returning to this one again. Good luck. Get it together.Special Features:
- DisappointingNeighborDined on 8/1/2014When we have a reservation in advance, we expect it to be honored. As much as we love the ambiance and food and wine, to wait 45 minutes for our reserved table spoiled the experience. If you have an event to attend, this much waiting and delay is not tolerable.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Friday Night OutAllaboutfoodDined on 8/1/2014Service and food were great. The server was really attentive and the rib eye for 2 was heavenly good. However, the cauliflower side dish was a bit too small diced for us. But overall, it definitely is a lovely place to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just keeps getting better!AdamVIPDined on 7/31/2014It is rare that a restaurant just keeps getting better with each visit, but that is exactly what happens with Mason-Pacific: the grilled octopus, perfect; the duck confit, perfect; the fish of the day (halibut), the best preparation I have ever tasted. From the staff who are attentive, pleasant (they make you feel you are valued, but not obnoxious) to the nice mix of local and French wine, to the amazing food- perfect! And just when you think nothing could possibly be outdone by the wonderful evening, the hostess sets the hook and recommends with confidence we share the "peanut butter and chocolate pot-de-creme" -- that's it! My new favorite restaurant in the city!Special Features:
- Unexpected culinary experienceBavaroSurgeonDined on 7/29/2014Coming all the way from Europe (Munich, Germany), this fabulous restaurant duely deserves being mentioned in several restaurant guides (Bib gourmand in the Michelin Guide and among the 25 best SF restaurants in Gayot's). Impeccable appetizers, not lacking originality, hard-to-beat entrecôte with a remarkable variety of 13 (!) different sauces / toppings: centered around a veal bone-red wine reduction were dry-frozen capers, charcoal dissolved in olive oil for the real barbecue flavour, tasty mustard and its seeds, sea salt, ginger, sauce Béarnaise, intense but not insulting garlic sauce, steak pepper and some more. But still now, three weeks later, I still like to remember my dinner experience in Mason Pacific!Special Features:
- The following 172 reviews are from the Mason Pacific reviews archive.
- Fabulous food and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2014Perfect combo of delicious food, delightful service and fantastic ambiance. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findLabrat1Dined on 7/22/2014Read the reviews on Open Table and decided to take a chance. The menu is interesting with a strong french country influence. If you like french wine, the food compliments it nicely. I was challenged with the wine but my wife enjoyed it. I had tagliatelle and my wife had halibut. The cauliflower side dish was AMAZING - delicious!!! The tagliatelle was superb as well. Wine list was limited. It was a little pricey for my taste but it was a nice place to go for a unique experience. We ate early which was good as it was peaceful. It tended to get louder by the time we left (around 7:30).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, too expensivevacayeatinDined on 7/18/2014The food was really good but the wine and the food was wayyy over priced. Also our waiter was really slow to ask us if we needed anything.Special Features:
- Good Food, Mediocre ServiceMcf96VIPDined on 7/17/2014Went there to celebrate my friends birthday & reserved 3+ weeks in advance. I called a few days earlier to ask if we could move the time by 30 minutes and was told that we'd have a limited time at our table. We were there for 2+ hours and only half of the restaurant was full for most of that time. Also, I mentioned to the hostess that we were celebrating a birthday. By the time we finished our meal (we had 2 wonderful starters, 3 fantastic entrees, plus a very pricey bottle of wine) we were too full. When the birthday girl ordered glass of dessert wine only, the waiter said "well I guess we can't put a candle on that." Really? I guess the restaurant couldn't spare a scoop ice cream?! What a disappointing end to an otherwise nice evening.Special Features:
- Best meal in SF YETKtMacDined on 7/15/2014This was probably the best meal I have had in SF EVER and one of the best of my life. The service was so attentive and spot on, but also super friendly and not in your face. The ambiance was beautiful, both upscale and cozy. And when I say cozy I don't mean small, I mean warm and inviting. Now let's get to the food! Chef Sean McTiernan is just genius with his menu. He came out a few times and talked to us about the meal and what we ordered. He explained the ingredients and where he got them, using all different places in the state. Each item was created and made with such care. And man were they decadent and just plain GOOD! Also has a great and full wine list! So there you good. Don't let this awesome place pass you by. Treat yourself!Special Features:
- great food and ambienceJuliaVIPDined on 7/11/2014We've been there many times. My husband loves their burger, which is a regular on the menu. I enjoy exploring their menu. It's always innovative and delightful. We really like this place. The only problem is how to get a table...I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!Donovan59VIPDined on 7/9/2014We've been trying to get to Mason Pacific for months and finally made it for my hubby's belated birthday celebration. It was worth the wait. The food was simply amazing - every dish was better than the one before - which I didn't think was possible. Simple menu with just a few choices, but everything that comes out of the kitchen is executed beautifully. SO happy to have MP in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Really excellent dining experienceBonnVIPDined on 6/26/2014Both the food and service were excellent. We had the outstanding beet salad and fresh halibut caught locally that day. Both were perfectly prepared. We will definitely be back.Special Features: