45 East 30th St.
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.masonjarny.com/
- Phone: (212) 213-3587
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Lou Santos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: There is a private mezzanine dining area that overlooks the main floor available for private affairs and gatherings.
- Private Party Contact: Brendan 2122133587
A word from Mason Jar
Mason Jar serves mouthwatering American BBQ/Comfort food. There is an extensive Bourbon Menu and Craft Beer pairings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mason Jar reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Sports & BbqpretheaterdinerDined on 10/9/2014Not a large menu which is not always a bad thing.... The brisket grilled cheese was amazing!!! Definitely worth going back for! Great neighborhood go-to. Glad I tried it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnaccommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014I called to confirm their brunch deal was on for that Sunday and they said it was. When I arrived Sunday, they informed me that they decided not to do brunch that day. Ok, I get it. You changed your mind, fine. But i can't afford to spend so much $$ on just drinks. Then I was told that there were drink specials $5 beers, bloody's and mimosa's (which is a good deal), except beer hurts my stomach, bloody's are gross and I'm allergic to orange juice. So when I asked the waitress if she would mind if i did the mimosa deal with just champs, she said no. THANKS. Then we asked them to put on the Eagles game or move our table. They said no. THANKS AGAIN. Just really disappointing in the bar and their unwillingness to accommodate their customers.
- Dead on a Saturday night...NikoNYVIPDined on 8/16/2014I went here on Saturday night with a couple friends. They were out of all of their IPAs, and the one thing I was looking forward to the menu (short rib grilled cheese) was also out. ON THE WEEKEND. I opted for the pulled pork sandwich and I arrived on a bun that was mediocre quality. Small and a smushy...not conducive to handling a large pile of meat. On a good note...the tots were crispy and tasty. I think we were one of three tables in the whole place. It was dead on. Saturday night. We opted to bolt after dinner to have drinks at a livlier establishment.
- The following 114 reviews are from the Mason Jar reviews archive.
- Good bar, ok foodCanuckiedudeDined on 7/18/2014Food was mediocre, attentive service. Potato bun for beef brisket was just a normal bun. House salad balsamic vinaigrette was too thick. Buffalo chicken was spicier with no warning. Portions for burgers and sandwiches were small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice placeMykalDined on 6/29/2014Went early evening on Sunday,The service was very good the food was delicious and portion were very hardy.I would recommend the BBQ sampler u get to try all there BBQ in one plate!! Def will be back next time I'm in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/21/2014Honestly one of the most disappointing dining experiences I've had. This is a bar with subpar food, not a southern restaurant.
- Just okJingies4Dined on 6/21/2014I was excited to try this place. We got the BBQ sampler, and I found it very odd that there was a Thanksgiving style turkey in the mix. The food was just ok, nothing to rave about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Tvs and a Rustic ThemeYouJustGotMackedDined on 6/18/2014This is my second time dining here and i will keep returning so long as they keep accepting my restaurant.com vouchers. Amazing spot for a happy hour with friends, especially on Tuesdays with $3 margheritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful servicecristyVIPDined on 6/15/2014The restaurant has a B sanitary rating. We hesitantly decided to look past that and decided to go in anyway. We ended up sitting at the table for 20 minutes and no one ever came by to take our food or drink order, so we ended up leaving.
- Sports bar through and throughjaniceVIPDined on 5/19/2014We went during a hockey game, and the place was incredibly loud, both from the TVs and the other guests. The food was good. I would go back, but maybe not during a sporting event.
- Great place!VennyVIPDined on 5/10/2014We went for brunch. The food is excellent! I would definitely recommend Mason Jar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunYouJustGotMackedDined on 4/29/2014The music was bumping and the food was good. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like salt, this is the placeBobinaMDined on 3/14/2014We ordered the BBQ platter, cheese fries and deep fried pickles. We received salt with a side of food. The fries were almost inedible. The deep fried pickles were cut on a mandolin and then drowned in batter and salt, so there was barely any flavor other than breading. The BBQ was just OK. Our waitress however, was lovely.
- Bad food but fun environmentSandraDined on 3/6/2014We had ribs that smelled and tasted like sweaty old man. I don't know if the cook was sweating over the food or what but that's what it tasted like. Gross. The chicken tenders smelled too. We were there to watch Villanova basketball and that was fun. Wish they had the games sound on, though.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Really good food. Ribs were amazing, salmon was amazing alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchHungryDined on 1/19/2014We chose the Mason Jar because of the location and the brunch option. My table ordered the chicken& waffles, smoked turkey sandwich, wings, mac -n- cheese, and fried pickles. Low Point Chicken & waffles - the batter/breading kept separating from the chicken. The chicken itself I swear was on steroids and under cooked. The waffles however were fluffy and tasty. High Point Mac-n- cheese OMG! Probably one of the best I have ever had. Perfectly balanced creamy/cheesy sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ribs I ever had, notBoolkaZVIPDined on 1/17/2014Best Ribs I ever had, not crazy about anything else in this place, but the ribs are off the hook. I keep coming back just for them. Good place to watch a game, eat some ribs and have a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why is it called The Mason Jar?StellaDined on 12/23/2013Wouldn't you think that the drinks were served in Mason Jars at the Mason Jar restaurant? Not so. They also had a cheesy pretzel roll on their special but when we ordered it they said they didn't have any left. This was a 5:00 pm dinner on Monday evening. Also tried to order a glass of Pinot Noir but was told they were out so ordered a Pinot Grigio only to be told they were out if that as well. Food was mediocre. Overall very disappointed, especially after reading all the other great reviews. Will not give it another try since there are many other restaurants in NYC to choose from.
- Best food everFoodieinharlemDined on 11/2/2013The food was excellent and so was the service. I highly recommend this place to anyone who loves Ribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Short menu but goodaaronDined on 10/28/2013Don't try to do it all right? The lunch menu had sandwiches and a few other items. My friend got a 1/2 rack w/ fries (an app) and he couldn't finish it. I had the pulled pork sandwich which comes on a plain hamburger bun. Not messy but quite tasty. I'll go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQ and sportsdavidjenisonVIPDined on 10/26/2013Mason Jar is an excellent BBQ joint with lots of TVs for all the sports games. We have been several times in the past for dinner, but we went for Saturday brunch this time. Had biscuits and gravy (needed more gravy) and pork hash. Both were good, not great, and the generous helping of scrambled eggs lacked flavor. We love Mason Jar. May not return for brunch, but would definitely come back for dinner. The staff is very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Deafening comfort foodTheMurrayVIPDined on 10/25/2013I was here once before and forgot how excruciatingly loud it is. The food is fun, very comfort - we had fried pickles and deviled eggs for appetizer. Service is pretty lackluster. Fried chicken was a little dry, needed more gravy which was requested but never came.Special Features:
- The BBQ platter was huge andjsalVIPDined on 10/19/2013The BBQ platter was huge and delicious. It's a sports bar so loud and and not very attentive, but very friendly, service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just too loudkhaycoxVIPDined on 10/10/2013If I wanted loud noise, I would go to a night club. Went to dinner here with friends I rarely get to see and for whatever reason they felt compelled to pump incredibly loud music throughout the evening. Food was fine, but I literally lost my voice trying to talk to my friends. Don't advertise yourself as a restaurant if you want to be something else. Was frankly obnoxious.Special Features:
- A Diamond in the roughFoxxyBrownDined on 8/17/2013Everything was great from beginning to end.. AWESOME signature drinks as well....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK if you're around for casual foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2013Nice ambience for casual dining or happy hour. Big space. But what comes out of the kitchen needs some work. We went early for lunch. The 1st customers of the day, so it's not like the kitchen staff was busy and rushed. Food was ok. Appetizers a little too salty for my foodie friends. Pulled pork sandwich was very dry for all 4 people that ordered it. We drowned it in sauce.
- Good BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2013Even though they don't advertise it on their website, they do have unlimited drinks brunch. Amazing! Delicious food!Special Features:
- Fun findTLSNYCDined on 6/12/2013Great option for NYC, to get interesting drinks & food options. The egg rolls are a must - the best item we got.Special Features:
- It makes a USC alumni feelFantasticDined on 6/8/2013It makes a USC alumni feel at home with their decor and outstanding menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like we didnt existinvisiblepartyVIPDined on 6/4/2013from the moment i called to say i was running late,,until we left they don't really care that you're there, just try to push drinks on you food was OK, my pulled pork was cold, portions generous bbq turkey was cold, too beans & sprouts luke warm, we sat at a table, our waitress left mid meal and we saw her when we left flirting with a table of guys we had to flag somebody down to pay check, next time I want BBQ, i'll go back to Virgil's or Hill CountrySpecial Features:
- The food was very good. TheBigginsVIPDined on 5/24/2013The food was very good. The ribs were very good. They were better than most of the BBQ places I have been to in the city. The Fried chicken needed a little more flavor but was very crisp and crunchy. The cole slaw was very good! I also had the pork egg roll and that was great! Good flavor with a great crunch. The service was a touch slower than I would have liked especially since it was not busy. All in all a good experience. I will go there again.Special Features:
- This visit didn't go as previousHungryVIPDined on 4/23/2013This visit didn't go as previous visits have went. I'm not sure what the problem was, but the service was frustratingly slow. Other times I have been here have been a lot better. I'm hoping this is part of the exception and not the rule. I will give Mason Jar another chance...just not anytime soon.Special Features:
- This place is more of a barhellosueVIPDined on 3/31/2013This place is more of a bar with a good food menu. They have interesting southern options included fried pickles and pulled pork - more a novelty for those of us in NYC. If you are looking for a meal that will change your life, walk on by. If you are looking for a decent meal with a large selection of bourbons and great service, this is perfect! Their brunch menu is decent enough with unlimited drinks - sit at the bar!Special Features:
- Good for after work BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2013Bustling bar and restaurant with seating that can be slightly tight & booth style. After work type crowd. Food was good but came very quickly. We would have loved to have tried the Brisket but it wasn't ready which suggests it's prepared and cooked onsite. I would go again if in the neighbourhood craving some good BBQ.Special Features:
- Our waitress was great, butnoaccentandreaVIPDined on 2/23/2013Our waitress was great, but the restaurant was nearly empty and it still took forever for our food to come out. She was very quick with the drinks for bottomless brunch, though.
- Food was pretty good. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/22/2013Food was pretty good. We got several different items from the menu and everyone seemed to enjoy their entres. The mac and cheese side was awesome! Service was great. The only thing that detracted slightly from the experience was that the music was so loud. It was hard to have a conversation without yelling.
- This place is very, very loudEvelynVIPDined on 2/22/2013This place is very, very loud in the evening and I felt like I was shouting the whole night to my friend while eating dinner. This place is good for those in their 20s but I don't recommend for anyone else without these caveats.Special Features:
- The food was good, but isEd02066Dined on 2/16/2013The food was good, but is mostly geared to a younger crowd.Special Features:
- Heard great things about theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/30/2013Heard great things about the food at Mason Jar and decided to give it a shot. Taylor was great! Really friendly and helpful. We had the fried pickles and pulled pork eggrolls (house specialty) to start. They came out quickly and even though fried, were not greasy as i was expecting. very tasty. For dinner, I decided on the fried chicken and could not have been happier. it was cooked perfectly and the breading had just a slight kick. I also had the brussels sprouts on Taylor's suggestion (not usually a fan) and was pleasantly surprised (the bacon made all the difference). My friends raved about the mason burger and short rib grilled cheese. I'll def be trying one of those the next time. and trust me, there WILL be a next time!Special Features:
- Nothing was great, nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/19/2013Nothing was great, nothing was bad. Service was fast and friendly. The drinks were big and sweet but watered down for the price. Overall it was loud, tasty and a nice bar scene but nothing unique.Special Features: