Masala Spices of India
315 5th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Masala Spices of India
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.masalarestaurant.com/masalarestaurant.html
- Phone: (619) 232-5050
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Ashley Popat
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Masala Spices of India
A fanciful curtain of monsoon rain, visible through floor-to-ceiling glass doors, is a friendly greeting as guests enter the spacious and elegant dining room at Bombay restaurant. Aromas of exotic spices promise a feast of flavors. The kitchen serves to satisfy expectations and the attentive wait staff ensures a delectable dining experience that you'll want to repeat over and over again. Flavorful, mysterious fruit drinks and cocktails along with a variety of wines complement the spices of magical India.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Masala Spices of India reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (11)fit for foodies (10)romantic (9)special occasion (8)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)neighborhood gem (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Delicious Indian FoodTeresaDined on 11/2/2014The food was really delicious--spiced nicely and very fragrant. The service was quite attentive and punctual. All in all, a great experience and we would definitely return if we find outselves in San Diego again!Special Features:
- Delicious but vacantChicchickVIPDined on 10/29/2014Surprisingly this restaurant was deserted... maybe because it was a Wednesday night but I really enjoyed the food. The place was pretty empty but the decor was great! Right in the middle of busy downtown San Diego. Service was decent but it looked like they were often confused about who was doing what even though there were only like 3-4 occupied tables. Overall - good food and nice place.Special Features:
- Local DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014We dine regularly in the Gaslamp District but had never tried this place as Indian cuisine is not one of our favorites. Or so we thought! Every bite we took was amazing. The waiter guided us through the menu the first time and we have returned 2 times since! Go ahead, step out of your comfort zone if this type of food has not been on your plate before. Love Indian cuisine? Go. Right Now! The ambiance, staff, menu, and prices are a must do. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service and wait for foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014Mismanaged restaurant. half-empty and still they tell people it's an hour wait for a table. then takes ages to get food. no waiters coming around. several other tables had same issue. this restaurant won't last.
- Great food; terrible service.DrPretoriusDined on 9/28/2014I made a reservation for 5:30 pm for our group of six to dine prior to attending a concert that began at 8:00 pm. We arrived on time and were seated promptly. The server took our order at 5:45. The drinks were served after 6:00, but one beer was missing. Starting at 6:30, we began to make multiple inquiries, with various employees (our server was nowhere to be found). Finally, we demanded to see the manager. It was now 7:02 pm. We informed him we must be served within five minutes or we would leave. The meal arrived five minutes later, but we were forced to eat quickly and could not enjoy a leisurely meal. The manager did comp the beverages and offered a discount on the food.Special Features:
- Never got our dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014We waited for almost 2 hours and never got our food. We finally got up and left because we couldn't wait for the Paul McCartney concert.
- Great ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014My boyfriend and I had dinner here on quiet Tuesday night and I must say, it was quiet and nice. The ambiance is incredible. The food was good and the drink list had some impressive cocktails.Special Features:
- AndreaAMB1VIPDined on 8/16/2014Our waiter was excellent, and the food was good, but it all came out just warm. I might give this restaurant another try, as there were so many options.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014The food selection was good and the taste was outstanding.
- pup1VIPDined on 8/3/2014Food was great and service was fine. You can order the level of spice you want in any dish. It is great to try something new!Special Features:
- The following 90 reviews are from the Masala Spices of India reviews archive.
- Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Excellent Indian dishes. White meat chicken dishes dry.Special Features:
- Need my curry fix!RamcDined on 7/5/2014One of the best Indian restaurants in San Diego! The food is authentic and fresh. The service could have been better but the food more than compensated for the service.Special Features:
- mediocre at bestmel16Dined on 6/19/2014chicken was dry.naan was very good.service friendly,professional
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/23/2014We have eaten at Masala before and loved the food. We were back again, and our server Sree was amazing! He was very kind and prompt. Everything we ordered came out hot and he was very attentive. I would absolutely recommend Masala to anyone, especially if they can get Sree for a server. Thanks Masala!Special Features:
- Really good IndianMuledaddyVIPDined on 3/15/2014I was impressed with this place from the start. Beautifully decorated, tables comfortable and the food is spectacular. Cost is $20-35 for a complete dinner. They do have a big screen TV playing India television/videos and I have to admit although it was amusing, it became a distraction. If you do not want that experience ask for a table upstairs or in the back where it is quieter. The service could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ambiance was great andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014The ambiance was great and the food was even better! I can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good valentines day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014I really enjoyed the food. It was real busy so the service was slow. I had to ask for water repeatedly. But the food was delicious once we did receive it.Special Features:
- Spicy~OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014I love it when indian food is spicy! I got what I asked for and it was amazing! The food was great! My boyfriend and I got the valentines special $35 per person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lost reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014we arrived and there was no reservation made in our name. either it was never made, although I did receive a cookie cutter confirmation from the head chef and open table. On the positive side they still found us a table. I am hesitant to use open table again if the reservations are not actually registered at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceZonieVIPDined on 2/7/2014Wonderful atmosphere, quiet, and traditional Indian cuisine. Excellent Coconut shimp, naan and Tika Marsala.Special Features:
- Masala rocksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/30/2014This is the second time that we've been to this place, and weren't disappointed! Love the food, the drinks were great, the place is immaculately clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge Menu and Knwledgable StaffGandSVIPDined on 1/10/2014The menu may seem daunting because they appeal to the vegetarian AND non-vegetarian. The staff are all willing to answer questions, are super polite, and very attractive people. The only reason they get 1 star off for service is that when you have an empty restaurant (at opening) don't pile all of the customers on top of each other (I know it is helpful for servers). Give us a little space. Food is extremely flavorful with the right notes of sweet, savory, curry, and other sauces. If you get the basket of sampler naan don't get another appetizer (it is PLENTY). We stuck with all vegetarian (and I am a big time carnivore) and I was satiated. We always rank restaurants on: would we come back or not? This one is a giant COME BACK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible experiencelike2dineVIPDined on 12/25/2013Food is bland, lacks any proper indian spices. Service was very slow and awful. We had to wait for waters for 20 minutes and food for longer. They ran our of all types of nan and bread products and they claimed that they were busy. Only half of the restaurant was full. The manager was not involved did not help at all and was rather arrogant. Do not goto this restaurant if you want over priced, bad service, and very sub-par food. Horrible choice.
- Very good service20fusDined on 12/20/2013The staff was very attentive, though we hand't gotten through half the appetizer when we were asked if we were ready for the entrees. We split the non vegetarian entree, it was loaded with good shrimp which only my husband eats. Otherwise the food was okay. I had Chicken Tikka as an entree which was very much better than that on the sample. My husband had shrimp Ginger Marsala which he found excellent. There were several single diners while we were there, as well as families with babies and the staff treated them with respect and were happy to answer our questions too. The TV monitors and huge screen with "Bollywood" style videos were a bit distracting, especially since the music in the restaurant didn't sync.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeVijaDined on 11/28/2013Great food, great service. Didnt try the buffet, but everything we ordered off the menu was very very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrustratedKimberlyVIPDined on 10/13/2013Have been to this restaurant before and it was wonderful, which is why I went again. This time, not so good. Service was atrocious. Food was way too too spicy.
- Zero serviceFuzzVIPDined on 8/6/2013We left after 15 minutes due to a complete absence of service. We were seated then nothing. Other patrons said there service was very slow. Beware.
- Waiter sipping the drinkFoodie123VIPDined on 7/6/2013Was shocked to see that waiter was sipping a drink before serving it to the customer. He served the drink in the ane glass just replacing the straw. Serving lady was rude and dropped all the cutlery on the table for placing the dish on the table
- Great Food!!!FunFamilyGroupVIPDined on 6/27/2013As an indian food lover, this place is hard to beat. We came for dinner and we liked it so much that we came the next day for the lunch buffett.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service was excellent.RamuVIPDined on 5/10/2013The food and service was excellent. The place was nicely decoratedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent in tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2013Food was excellent in taste Service was good but only parking problemSpecial Features:
- They didn't open at the hourOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/4/2013They didn't open at the hour we make the reservation. I lost my trip.
- Great dishes that were uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/20/2013Great dishes that were unique to my taste buds and not too spicy. I went there twice during my trip and tried two different types of curries and naan. Great service - our waiter made some great recommendations. Not too loud but good ambience. One of my favorites in San Diego!Special Features:
- Delightful ExperiencePowayGirlDined on 1/19/2013Since this was the first time ordering for ourselves at an Indian restaurant, the service staff was very helpful in suggesting possible dishes to try. The Makhani with chicken was delightful. The atmosphere was relaxed and the staff didn't hurry us out the door once we had completed our meal. We can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Our waiter Berhan was difficultOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/5/2013Our waiter Berhan was difficult to communicate with or choose to ingnor our request. Wine list was limited but choose a Cab he brought a Merlot of same vintner and then said they were our of the Cab I chose. We told the waiter that although we have experienced some Indian food we were neophytes and wanted to try a lamb dish and chicken dish with as curry sauce and then another he might recommend. The checken Tikk dish was delivered without sauce and then proceeded to tell me thats what I ordered and "did not understand" my request. the dish was tastlkess and dry! I asked another waiter about the dish and he said a cucumber sause usually accompained the dish and he brought on to us and this helped somewhat.
- Great food, generous portions,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/30/2012Great food, generous portions, reasonable prices. We will be back!Special Features:
- Omigosh! We eat a fair amountOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Omigosh! We eat a fair amount of Indian food and this tops the list, easily. That night we preferred a mildly spiced dinner which can mean a rather blah experience. Not so this time: the food was beautifully flavorful and the crispy spinach was revelatory--don't ask, just get it. You can thank me later.Special Features:
- Great food but attention toLuxuryRealtyGroupSDDined on 12/7/2012Great food but attention to service is needed. We waited over 20 min before a waiter appeared.
- We have a special vegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012We have a special vegetarian diet and the server and restaurant were very accommodating.Special Features:
- Our group had a terrific timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/4/2012Our group had a terrific time here. Service was attentive and food was excellent. Should expand their wine list.Special Features: