990 Great Plain Avenue
Needham, MA 02492Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.masala-art.com/
- Phone: 7814494050
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily 11:30 A.M. to 10 P.M. Daily Lunch Buffet $12 (Mon-Fri. 11:30 A.M.-3 P.M.) Dinner 3-10 P.M. Sat & Sun Brunch $14 (Includes unlimited South Indian Dosa, Chaat Station, Live Chana-Bhatura Station & North Indian Buffet) Dinner 3-10 P.M.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Shikha Kapoor
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Masala Art is proud to offer an extensive menu selection for catering which goes beyond our dinner menu. We can cater spectacular tandoori barbeque anytime of year for paries of 25 to 2500 people. We specialize in weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, graduations, office parties or whatever fits your needs. For a full list of hotels and country clubs we work with, please visit our website at www.masala-art.com.
- Private Party Facilities: At Masala Art, we can accommodate private parties of up to 50 people in our banquet room. For large parties or inquiries, please contact Masala Art.
- Private Party Contact: Sorabh Kapoor 7814494050
- Entertainment: Looking for something fresh and unique? Try Masala Art's Spice Bar. The Spice Bar is an 11 seat bar for which reservations are required (minimum 3 persons). Our Executive chef will prepare a meal in front of the guests and explain the different spices and ingredients used in his preparations. Guests are able to interact with the chef and ask questions about the preparations as the chef is making them. It is a wonderful experience for both novice and experienced Indian cuisine patrons. Reservations are taken by phone only for parties of 3 to 11 persons for a 6:00 pm or 8:00 pm seating
- Special Events: Planning an office Holiday Party? Call Masala Art! We can cater to your venue of choice or host your party at our restaurant. Private Dining available for 50 persons. For large parties or catering inquiries, please contact Sorabh Kapoor.
A word from Masala Art
Welcome to Masala Art. Our cuisine and its new home reflect the breath of Indian culinary traditions, its diverse culture, art forms, religions and regional specialties - blended together in modernity and contemporary flare. Vinod & Shikha Kapoor are the owners of Bombay Club (Cambridge, Boston) and Masala Art (Needham). Masala Art is a contemporary, upscale Indian eatery, a new concept to New England. The idea for the restaurant sprung from surrounding competition. In an era where almost every Boston area Indian restaurant had similar menus and decors, the trendsetting couple (Vinod & Shikha Kapoor) decided once again that it was time to for a paradigm shift. Observing that the Boston and Cambridge areas were becoming saturated with Indian eateries, they decided to move their newest concepts to the suburbs. Unique Concept: Try the Spice Bar which offers Live Cooking!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Masala Art reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (5)great for lunch (3)neighborhood gem (3)fit for foodies (2)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great...but rushedDakotaDined on 8/2/2014I was among a party of six for a dinner on Saturday night. We had reservations for 8:30pm. The restaurant was not busy at all. Best guess, it is summertime and it was 8:30pm. We all had a wonderful time, food good as well as the drinks. Our service was great as well. Only wish we were not rushed out for them to close. They went as far as turing the lights WAY up instead of just saying something. Will still go back....but most likely NOT at 8:30pm.Special Features:
- The following 139 reviews are from the Masala Art reviews archive.
- great variety, but...dfwrVIPDined on 5/24/2014Interesting, tasty and unusually varied Indian food. However, the noise level is so high that it's hard to have a conversation. (Maybe ceiling tiles or something else could address this?) Also, having eaten there a few times I now realize that many (or maybe all) of the dishes are extremely--it would be great to note the level of spiciness in the menu and allow diners to request a lower level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good find in NeedhamOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/23/2014Delicious food -- they have a new tapas menu that is fun and allows you to try a wide variety.Special Features:
- AndyDined on 5/17/2014Always interesting items on the menu to fit a variety of diets and interests. They update their menu often enough to keep it interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousmbalexDined on 3/10/2014Hands down, the best Indian cuisine in the area. They have expanded their menu with some new and tasty items. The service can be slow, as it was for us. We had to ask twice for mango chutney. But if you're not in a hurry, you'll greatly enjoy your curry--and everything else!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably good Indian, broad menuajgarvinDined on 3/9/2014I go to Masala Art for reliably good Indian dishes. The menu includes a page or two of fusion dishes (Indian/Chinese, for example) which I haven't sampled much. The restaurant extends from the front entrance on Great Plain Avenue to a rear entrance from a municipal parking lot (where there's usually plenty of parking by evening). There's a dining room at each end. I find the ambiance of the rear dining room a little like an outpost and the service can be less attentive there. Masala Art can get very busy and when it's busy, the noise level -- especially in the front dining room I prefer -- can be a bit "energetic" (using the euphemism from the ratings chart) for me.Special Features:
- Consistenly greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/16/2014Masala Art always delivers the tastiest Indian food we've had in the Boston Area. Nice size portions as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceLincoln1972Dined on 2/1/2014Food was good but a bit pricey for Indian. Service was very rushed. They took food and drinks away before we were finished, and didn't ask if we wanted to take anything home. We felt very rushed--like they were trying to turn over the table. Otherwise the food was very good and the atmosphere was pleasant.
- New Years' spotDeeNeeDined on 12/31/2013Masala Art added some festive touches to their consistently excellent Indian food. Hats, and an extra treat at the end of the meal added to the evening with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding vegetarian selectionsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2013While I have used OpenTable for several years, I've never written a review, but I have been to Masala Art 3 times over the past month and all friends I've dined with have found the food to be exceptional. I am a strict vegetarian and I continue to be amazed by the offerings. Everyone ( veg and meat-eaters alike) loved the Gobhi Gulistan, a whole cauliflower with a delectable mixture of spices oozing thru the little buds. The Baigan Bhartha, smoked eggplant, was also a surprising delight. Also ate there before changing my eating habits. Best dish: Lamb chopsSpecial Features:
- Birthday CelebrationSal12Dined on 7/10/2013Given a a table in a large back dining area, no one else there, away from the main dining area, I felt as if we were being banished, which is why only one star for ambience. Service and food was nothing special. No Happy Birthday wishes from anyone on the staff despite sending a note with my reservation. All in all wish I had picked somewhere else for my daughters celebration.
- Wonderful food and service.LKfoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2013Wonderful food and service. Lamb Bara Kabab can not be beat amazing. Very accessible for mobility disabled if enter through the back of restaurant where there is a ramp
- Now we love Indian CuisineScottKDined on 5/27/2013Beautiful place inside. Nice tables and not too crowded together. Excellent cocktails and we had the house Shiraz and Chardonnay - also very good. I had mentioned it was my son's birthday and every staff person that walked by our table wished him happy birthday. We had never eaten Indian food before and everything was delicious. We had Calamari and Chicken Wings for appetizers. The bread they brought for the table was amazing - some plain and some garlic flavored. My wife and daughter had Chicken Tikki Masala, the birthday boy had a fish dish and I had grilled lamb chops. Rice pudding for dessert and an individual birthday cake was complimentary. Everyone was so friendly -- awesome introduction to Indian cuisine. Scott KinderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good solid restaurantPaulDined on 5/25/2013This is only the second time I've been there, but the food has been good each time and the staff friendly and helpful. Overall just a very good solid restaurant with a good variety on the menu.Special Features:
- A once great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/18/2013Alas, this restaurant has gone way downhill. We were a fairly large party, and they decided to seat us next to the very noisy bar - a decision that ensured that there was sufficient noise such that none of us could hear each other. Had they used that space fo tables of two, that would have been fine, but to combine tables in such as way so as to ensure that the group could not talk to each other started the evening out on a very bad note. The situation got worse when the food was served. It is not what it used to be - and we ended up sending some of it back as it was over-cooked. The service, which used to be great, was mediocre at best. There are far better Indian places in the western Boston suburbs - don't go to this one.
- Excellent service and goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/28/2013Excellent service and good food. The biryani and tandoori chicken were excellent.Special Features:
- Terrific Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/27/2013We had a delicious dinner; every dish was wonderful. I really appreciated the gluten-free designations throughout the menu, rather than having a separate menu, and there was a great variety of GF items. Service was very attentive and food arrived at nice intervals. For some reason, the lights were on very bright, which was a little disconcerting at an evening meal.Special Features:
- Good food, poor serviceVisitingDCDined on 3/16/2013Very good Indian and Indian-Chinese food. Would recommend it more highly except for two things. First, the waitstaff seemed in a hurry to get us out the door, even though the restaurant was never full. Second, we tried to order tea and dessert but they told us the "tea machine" was broken. I'm not sure what a tea machine is, but if a restaurant can't boil water, it's in serious trouble. We'd actually eat there again, but wish the service was as good as the food.
- Everything was very good exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/9/2013Everything was very good except that our lemon rice was undercooked. We told out waiter, who quickly removed it and brought back another very fast, and it was fine.Special Features:
- We have been pleased withOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/17/2013We have been pleased with the improvement in the food at Masala Art in recent months, and this meal too was excellent. We were less pleased to find that the restaurant now has karaoke nights--hardly what we expected. We were seated far away from the noise, however, and had a pleasant evening despite some very bad singing. Although there must be some people who like karaoke, everyone else might want to check in advance.
- Great Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/15/2013Very good Indian food with a wide range of choices. Nice atmosphere with friendly service.Special Features:
- good Indian food. Have eatenOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/26/2013good Indian food. Have eaten there before and one of the best local Indian restaurants.
- We tried several dishes, andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/26/2013We tried several dishes, and while they were okay, they were not any better than many other less expensive Indian restaurants in the area
- Excellent food, although weOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/12/2013Excellent food, although we requested mild and some of the dishes were still a little spicy. Waiters could have been more attentive, but were polite and knowledgeable. Great time!Special Features:
- Went there for a birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2013Went there for a birthday dinner and it was great. A little pricey for an all the time but definitely a special occasion place.Special Features:
- Perhaps an "off" night butOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/22/2012Perhaps an "off" night but service was somewhat scarce, wait time for entrees was long and portions seemed less than normal. Hopefully not a continuing trend.
- Very noisy due to poor soundOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/10/2012Very noisy due to poor sound insulation & too spicy dishes made a wonderful restaurant hard to enjoy
- I love this restaurant. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2012I love this restaurant. The staff is fantastic, friendly, and knowledgable.Special Features:
- I have eaten there beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2012I have eaten there before and enjoyed it, but this was not a good night. Probably because the restaurant was packed, the noise made it impossible to converse and service was very slow. The food was fine, but as outstanding as on prior visits. I may try it again, but they have work to do to win back my recommendation.
- Interesting menu. Good food,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2012Interesting menu. Good food, but doesn't live up to the menu descriptions.Special Features:
- The food is great and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2012The food is great and the atmosphere is great fun. However, twice I have been there on a Saturday night and the service is quite slow, especially from the bar. It really seems that they need another bar tender on weekend nights but haven't realized this yet. Waiting 15 minutes for a glass of wine or a cocktail is frustrating.Special Features:
- Great ambiance. Good food. LittleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012Great ambiance. Good food. Little pricey thats Needham, right? Offer variety of dishes - some sound interesting.Special Features:
- Been there several times andGailDined on 8/14/2012Been there several times and enjoyed it imensely, especailly the lamb chops which they did not have this recent trip.This may have just been a off nght.Special Features:
- Food was great us usual. SatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2012Food was great us usual. Sat in back room which lacks ambiance (but was quieter than the front room).
- Lackadaisical waitstaff!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2012The pros - Nice ambience, tasty food, great presentation. The Cons - Waitstaff with an attitude. I called the restaurant couple of days ago and checked if the spice bar would be open and the staff member promised to call me back with details but DID NOT. They need a week's notice and a minimum of 5 people for the spice bar to be open. I don't think the website says that. Anyway, we showed up and ordered drinks. The wine and beer were on time whereas my Mojito took forever and my group had to wait for a long time to make a toast since my drink was missing. There wasn't like one waiter attending to our table. there were 3 different people and they did not check on how the food was or if we needed anything more. Will never go back!Special Features:
- loved it in the past, butmindy4homesVIPDined on 6/4/2012loved it in the past, but the service was awful! it was not a busy night,
- Our waiter did not write downKippyDined on 5/26/2012Our waiter did not write down our orders, and we ended up getting an item we didn't order, as well as two of one thing we did order! Otherwise, it was a good place.Special Features:
- This was a last minute MothersOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/13/2012This was a last minute Mothers Day fallback when a planned event was cancelled at the 11th hour. I was expecting a full menu but was a bit disappointed to find only the buffet available. The food was very good with excellent spicing and quality but, perhaps because it was 1:30 PM, all the meat in the warming dishes had been pretty well fished out, leaving behind plenty of tasty sauce. I should've complained but wimped out. Then again, they should monitor more closely as things become exhausted.Special Features:
- A disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/8/2012The restaurant was very noisy with little noise abatement. We were there for the Sunday brunch which had little to recommend it except the price. The selection was poor although what was offered was tasty and I was sorry that we hadn't ordered from the menu to get a real sense of the food.
- Once again a great meal atNoelDined on 3/10/2012Once again a great meal at Masala Art. The new menu since our last visit provided many opportunities to try different things. It was all good - from appetizers to dessert. Look forward to doing it again before long.Special Features: