Masala Art - Waterfront
1101 4th St SW
Washington, DC 20024Neighborhood:
Contemporary IndianPrice: $30 and under
Masala Art - Waterfront
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://masalaartdc.com/
- Phone: 2025541101
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday:
11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Masala Art - Waterfront
Waterfront location to open soon!! - 'Too much is so good, you can't stop eating it. The tandoor-baked breads are not mere swabs for sauce but could be eaten, and enjoyed, on their own; the naan with cilantro and rock salt is terrific, as is the kulcha richly stuffed with minced lamb. Masala Art offers combinations you don't see often around here, but even its more familiar dishes can be revelations. Consider its samosas. They're flakier than a lot of the competition, and their filling of peas, potatoes and sweet raisins tastes fresher, too. A burst of cardamom in every bite helps. In the same vein, soft logs of minced lamb pulse with heat from jalapeno peppers, a shock offset with breezy mint. Pureed spinach is a vibrant green, flecked with corn and rich with garlic...' - WashingtonPost.com, B-Wisconsin Avenue, NW location.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Masala Art - Waterfront - Best Restaurants in Waterfront ›
Masala Art - Waterfront reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)fit for foodies (41)good for groups (15)special occasion (12)romantic (9)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Delicious & BeautifulMAJDCDined on 9/18/2014What a fabulous food experience! The Pani Poori appetizer is a serving of 4 of the most delicate, tiny hollow puffs filled with chickpeas, potatoes and seasoning, each beautifully presented on a porcelain spoon. The dum ka Murg is 'melt in your mouth' pieces of chicken in a light gravy seasoned with saffron and cashew nuts and accompanied by delicious fluffy seasoned rice. It was hard not to ooh and auh over every bite. The service was friendly, helpful and professional. The decor is lovely and about the only criticism I would have is that the space is large, open and a bit noisy. I will gladly put up with a little noise to come back and try more. Anyone loving or experimenting with Indian food, this is the restaurant for you!Special Features:
- Great Addition for Arena PatronsDCFoodTravelersVIPDined on 9/18/2014Nice to see Masala Art bring its traditional Indian food to SW. We are fans of the Tenleytown location. Nice space, better bar/drink options, service was excellent and we made it in and out in time for 8:00 show. While not on the level of Rasika - there are many great options on this menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food, bit priceyPorfiriopicanteDined on 9/17/2014What we had was great. The Shrimp, eggplant, chicken, nan, calamari was wonderful. But some did have a very high spice level. I for one love hot hot hot food and this was definitely hot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Indian foodSnootyfoodieVIPDined on 9/17/2014Spicy bhelpuri set the stage for a tasty meal even the dessert was somewhat unusual to me. Though lamb sheik kabab was a little disappointing. Something tells me their strength is in vegetarian dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous brunchDawnDined on 9/14/2014I've never had an Indian brunch before but I will again after this one. My friend had scrambled eggs with Indian seasoning and Nan bread filled with cauliflower. I had vegetables with Indian spices, spinach and "cheese", garlic and chili Nan, and dry couscous or cream of wheat will nuts and vegetables. Both of us got cumin potatoes on the side. There were other unique items to choose from as well. The place was nearly empty at noon on Sunday. It's much larger than the one in Tenleytown so it could be noisy when it's crowded. The waiters were eager to please and the service was quick. I'm certainly going back for dinner or lunch. The waiter also told us about a 3-course theater special (it's near Arena) and Mon kebab special.Special Features:
- Indian, but so much more...aFanofOpenTableDined on 9/13/2014This place was everything it promised. It was upscale and well appointed. The specialty cocktails we tried were wonderful. The menu goes beyond what you normally see on an Indian take-out menu. If you go in prepared to order the chicken tikka masala or the red curry, be prepared to see some new options. Everything from the drinks to the dessert was fantastic. My date and I were very pleased. Our waited was wonderful, and extremely helpful in helping us sort through the many delicious sounding options. I plan on going back, if only to try the other choices I didn't pick last time.Special Features:
- An unhappy experiencedavidjVIPDined on 9/13/2014We arrived at 6:30 and told the waiter that we had Arena Stage tickets for 8:00. The theater is two blocks from the restaurant. We were not able to leave until 7:50. Of the four entres we ordered 2 were not good, one was OK (although the waiter said it was spicey 8 on a scale of 10), but it had no bite at all. One was good. The service was terrible. Our drinks arrived with the appetizer. A busboy brought the entres and set them down on a tray table. It took several minutes for the waiter to arrive and place the dishes on our table.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/12/2014Finally, a very good restaurant in SW! And perfect for Arena Theatre pre-dinners. Excellent Indian food -- with attentive, knowledgeable waiters. And beautiful, open space with lots of light. We love Masala Art in Tenleytown, and this new, second restaurant meets the high standards of the first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/12/2014We went with a group of eight before the theatre. Everything was perfect. Lovely table, attentive but not intrusive service. Lamb shanks a highlight among many excellent dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful space, delicious foodPotomacFoodieVIPDined on 9/9/2014A welcome addition to the restaurant scene near Arena Stage. The decor is very beautiful, and the food is both lovely to look at and delicious. My husband and I both had chicken dishes (mine was chicken tikka, which was tender and perfectly seasoned). We loved the onion rings with Indian spices too, yum. We may just become season subscribers to Masala Art!Special Features:
- Great pre-theater placedcfoodieDined on 9/6/2014Went here on Tom Sietsma's recommendation in the Post's food section and it lived up to expectations. Half of our party were not big fans of Indian food, but the servers and staff explained the dishes and guided them to non-spicy choices and it was a big success.Special Features:
- Great new pre-theater choiceChicagolawguyDined on 9/5/2014Arena Stage attendees have a wonderful new choice for a walking-distance pre-theater dinner. Highly recommended. A serious foody place, with serious foody prices for Indian food.Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood spotFrequentdinerDined on 9/5/2014Nice stop before Arena Stage. Although some in my party were late, they managed to get us in and out in time for the play, without feeling rushed. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Livingthedream2014Dined on 9/5/2014Very friendly waiter from Kerala! Excellent mango lassis! Delicious lamb curry! We in SW are very glad this friendly place opened up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Masala ArtReneeDined on 9/4/2014Some friends had recommended this place to me, and since I was going to be in the neighborhood, I decided to give it a try. It certainly lived up to its recommendation. There were items on the menu I had not previously seen elsewhere, and what we tried was outstanding. Since my friend is allergic to nuts, we were more than happy to see that foods containing nuts were highlighted on the menu. Our waiter and the host were excellent in helping us choose and explaining the menu items. Will I go back? In a heartbeat! Prices were reasonable and the portions just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, great foodClearCreekDined on 9/3/2014The only negative was that our server would disappear for long periods, and could have been better about checking with us during his rare appearances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Addition to NeighborhoodBradVIPDined on 9/1/2014Great to have another option for dining in the neighborhood.
- Great foodDinersVIPDined on 8/28/2014I love lamb and they have many dishes. The Lamb and Beets in curry sauce is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Middle of road Needs better serviceFilominaVIPDined on 8/27/2014Informed server that we needed mildly spiced entrees for most at table, but he neglected to tell us that the Peri peri shrimp was extremely spicy--too spicy to be consumed by one of our party. (Confirmed when I tasted it.) When we expressed surprise and dismay, he merely said that the vindaloo was spicier & made no attempt to rectify the situation. That was a $26 entree that went uneaten. Problem could've been prevented when we ordered. Kofta was not very good: thin sauce & goat cheese dumplings dry and bland. However veggie dishes & tandoori chicken were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Restaurant in the HoodCB00VIPDined on 8/27/2014I am so glad we SW residents have a new restaurant to enjoy! Marsala Art is of course well known because of it's NW Washington location. The setting is lovely and the service impeccable. I thought the food was very good and I look forward to having dinner there. My luncheon chicken dish was flavorful but a little bland (probably due to less adventurous taste buds than mine). My lunch partner had the lamb which was delicious. The accompanying veggies (spinach and corn) was delicious; the naan bread was cold but we really didn't want to eat it anyway (calorie counting!) . I'm convinced with a few minor fixes this will be a great addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/12/2014Nice place for trying different things and sharing. Appetizers were inventive. There aren't many restaurants in the neighborhood, but I'm sure this will change as the area is developing with the updated Arena Stage and the incoming Wharf. Desserts might need to be a bit more creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business lunchK2h3mDined on 8/11/2014Had a lovely business lunch here. Menu is limited but the food was delicious. The service was attentive without being intrusive. The decor was sophisticated and subtle.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome to Southwest!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/7/2014Great Indian food. The food is light but tasty. It's great to have this restaurant in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Fantastic foood, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2014We were so excited to try our newest neighborhood restaurant, and we were delighted that it didn't disappoint in any way. Our server was knowledgeable and solicitous, and our food was delicious. Portions were good size and fair prices. We are so happy to have this addition to the neighborhood. They even threw in a free dessert for our anniversary! I hope it catches on and becomes as popular as it deserves to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Indian FoodjaneDined on 7/26/2014Great News for SouthWest. Truly delicious Indian food in a very pleasant dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous!!!chrisVIPDined on 7/26/2014i am so happy that ATUL has opened in southwest. i love his tenleytown restaurant. so now this is a new neighborhood gem. and offers not only northern cuisine but southern as well. try it folks!! you will love it!!!Special Features:
- DCDinerVIPDined on 7/21/2014I was pleasantly surprised by the interior of the new Masala Art in Waterfront. It is a beautiful space with lots of nice accents. The menu is very comparable to the Tenleytown location and the food was excellent. The service after the meal (getting the check, giving our credit card to the waiter, getting the card back) was very slow. Hopefully that will improve as they have only been open a few days. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- NewRWFavoriteVIPDined on 7/21/2014I've been looking forward to their opening, because there are such limited lunch options in this area. When I realized they were open, I immediately made a reservation. I enjoyed my lunch (I had a chicken tikka appetizer with the garlic naan), but I was disappointed by its pricing. They did not have a separate menu or pricing for lunch, so the prices were a bit steep for lunch, especially for this area. The manager, however, did come by at the end of our meal to explain that they will be putting together lunch specials and lunch pricing soon. Other than the pricing concerns, the food was great, and I can't wait to try it again soon!Special Features:
- Aa welckme addition to WaterfrontwaterfrontlocalDined on 7/18/2014It was only the second dinner seevice at this new location, but overall excellwnt start. The food was amazing and staff friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My visitNickDined on 7/18/2014Excellent food with a great atmosphere. Service was a bit slow, but they were very friendly and apologetic for the slowness. Might just be working out the kinks from having just opened.Special Features:
- Great addition to SWPaulVIPDined on 7/18/2014I dined two of the first three nights that Masala Art was open. Food was terrific and very reasonable. Service, though, clearly suffers from opening weekend jitters. (But everyone was very friendly.) On Friday, once they got busy, we waited 20 minutes for a check, and got it only after running down the manager. On Saturday...oy! We never received our appetizer - a yummy broccoli and peas tiki that I was looking forward to having again. When we placed our second drink order, first it took forever, then one drink came back wrong and the second version of mine was different from the first. Assuming they get the service kinks worked out, this is a nice, comfortable, casual place in a great location with good food and a significant menu.Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the Masala Art - Waterfront reviews archive.