Masala Art DC
4441 B-Wisconsin Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
Contemporary IndianPrice: $30 and under
Masala Art DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.masalaartdc.com/
- Phone: 2023624441
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Takeout
A word from Masala Art DC
'Too much is so good, you can't stop eating it. The tandoor-baked breads are not mere swabs for sauce but could be eaten, and enjoyed, on their own; the naan with cilantro and rock salt is terrific, as is the kulcha richly stuffed with minced lamb. Masala Art offers combinations you don't see often around here, but even its more familiar dishes can be revelations. Consider its samosas. They're flakier than a lot of the competition, and their filling of peas, potatoes and sweet raisins tastes fresher, too. A burst of cardamom in every bite helps. In the same vein, soft logs of minced lamb pulse with heat from jalapeno peppers, a shock offset with breezy mint. Pureed spinach is a vibrant green, flecked with corn and rich with garlic...' - WashingtonPost.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Masala Art DC reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)fit for foodies (41)good for groups (10)special occasion (10)romantic (8)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Just a splendid dinner...LPG1VIPDined on 10/11/2014I've enjoyed many dinners at Masala Art but this last one may have been the best ever. Two of us shared two appetizers (papri chaat & chicken tikka), one entree (lamb neegiri korma), and an order of rock salt naan. It was all fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodKathyDined on 10/7/2014The food was delicious as usual and the naan especially the cilantro rock salt naan is great. Lamb, veggie, and chicken dishes are all consistently tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodDeniseVIPDined on 10/4/2014Masala Art has fragrant and delicious food. They seemed overwhelmed when we were there on a Saturday night, and it sometimes took awhile to get attention. But overall, a good experience.Special Features:
- Flavorful indian cuisineDCfoodie1222VIPDined on 9/30/2014a fabulous indian option that can easily compete with some of the cities more "notable" indian places. such flavor in their cooking, wonderful service and tenleytown pricesSpecial Features:
- Continues to be excellentAlphonseDined on 9/27/2014Creative and carefully prepared food, different than most Indian restaurants, and with a lot of taste and nuance. Not bad wines either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maryVIPDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful Indian food. Much more variety than the average Indian restaurant. Everything was delicious. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- An excellent Indian restaurantTerryPDined on 9/17/2014I have dined at Masala Art many times and have never been disappointed. I have traveled to India many times and the food at Masala Art is authentic and exciting. The menu is varied and offers a wide variety of different dishes but not too many so the dishes are always excellent and well presented. There is a quite large vegetarian menu so that is rewarding when one dines with friends who do not eat meat. The staff are always courteous and the manager attentive. I have lived in the Tentleytown area for over 25 years and I was excited when this restaurant opened. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for good Indian food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food has amazing flavor!FishBuddyVIPDined on 9/15/2014I absolutely love the Jumbo Shrimp Tikka Masala paired with the Cilantro and Rock Salt Naan! So yummy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haute Indianpam2008Dined on 9/6/2014A wonderful restaurant, with a menu that goes far beyond the standard Indian fare offered by almost all US south Asian venues.Special Features:
- Nice findmacnosherDined on 9/2/2014Enjoyed our midweek dinner. Nice quiet ambiance, good food (none of our three entree disappointed) and gracious, understated service.Special Features:
- Better for dinnerbemusedprofDined on 8/29/2014I've quite enjoyed dinner at this restaurant, but this was my first time for the buffet lunch. I am normally not much of a fan of buffets for Asian or South Asian food, and this was confirmation. All of the dishes were somewhat bland. Others with me said that it has been better, but everyone thought that all of the dishes, including the curries, were far from tasty. With a crowded lunch group, it was difficult to hear people on the other side of the table. Service and hospitality was flawless.I would recommend this to a friend.
- just the bestchrisVIPDined on 8/25/2014i have dined at masala many times and always have a great experience and great food!!!Special Features:
- 100 Foot JourneyRosebudDined on 8/18/2014Perhaps, like us, many were inspired by the new movie to re-find our great neighborhood Indian restaurant when we visited last night. Unfortunately, the volume put a strain on staff working very hard and professionally to handle it all. Service less attentive than usual (although when they came as polished as ever -- not showing harried) and food was slower than usual. On hold 5 mins when called to say I would be 10 mins late for reservation. Waited 30 more for my table. And I initially got the wrong bill. I chalk it up to a very busy Monday night because the fundamentals are solid if they can match volume to service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice timeeatwellDined on 8/8/2014We arrived a little late for our reservation but they were great...also had great service. Location is great for metro.Special Features:
- Awesome!HungryMarkDined on 8/2/2014This was my second visit. Took 5 friends to Masala Art and they all loved it. (Two were Indian, three were self-proclaimed Indian food attics!) First visit was Valentines Day 2014.Special Features:
- Slowwww....againBorincanoVIPDined on 7/24/2014We are regulars at Masala. We live in the neighborhood, the food is delicious, and it's a family consensus choice. But from time to time, we seem to fall into a diner's twilight zone, and it ends up eating up a big chunk of the evening just to get dinner. This most recent visit was one of those occasions. 50 minutes wait for entrees (after a half-hour wait for appetizers) is just too long at a neighborhood restaurant. When this happens, and it's far from the first time, we wonder aloud as we walk home whether we should visit again soon. We'll be back, but that occasional endless wait is an irritating flaw in an otherwise good restaurant. (It would also be nice to get an acknowledgement from the waitstaff that there's a problem)Special Features:
- India's bestSparkyVIPDined on 7/20/2014Our favorite Indian restaurant did not disappoint us. As always, the food is well prepared and enjoyable.Special Features:
- Liked it better at lunchLREVSDined on 7/13/2014Second time here. Food just okay except for the bread stuffed with onions -delicious. Made specific request due to allergy and several dishes came with what friend was allergic to sitting on top in clear view. Mgr came out twice to apologize as did waiter. If they'd offered a complimentary dessert or drink or something it would have made us feel better. Prefer Tiffin or Taste of India.
- PhilDined on 7/10/2014Masala Art continues to produce excellent, unique dishes. As often as I go, it continues to be a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Indian Food !IndianfoodieVIPDined on 6/29/2014Had a great dinner at Masala Art. A year ago, the food was good then but now they must have a different chef since he food was almost uniformly spectacular. We only ordered vegetarian dishes. We had the pani puri, the Makai kabab and the dahi bhalla as appetizers; the tawa paneer, bhindi chole and the zucchini jalfrazi with the garlic and cilantro naans. We also ordered the channa biryani to go. Each dish had a unique flavor, which is something you rarely encounter in most restaurants (the exception is Rasika). We also ordered dessert - the sorbet and the date/fig with cardamom ice cream - a big mistake. They were very ordinary and not quite the finish that we imagined to the wonderful dishes before that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian RestaurantFlowershopgirlDined on 6/27/2014Our family has opted to go here on several special occasions. The food is excellent, location is perfect as a meeting spot for us. Lovely decor, a bit on the smaller side, so I recommend making a reservation. Very close to metro and I recommend you take metro. Staff is very nice and if you ask for something and it is not on the menu, they probably will make it for you, they have made it for me. Their selection is huge, and many vegetarian options as a few of us are vegan/vegetarian. Long dessert list which is nice, usually it's just a few selections available at other places. Nice wine list as well. The portions are not huge, but I still had a little bit I could bring home, and room for dessert. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- The following 678 reviews are from the Masala Art DC reviews archive.
- Another great Indian eveningTerryPDined on 6/14/2014My wife and I went back to Masala Art, our local Indian food gem. As usual, the service was outstanding and the ambiance and decor very good but the food was truly exquisite. My giant prawns were cooked just right in a creamy mango-inspired sauce, which together with an onion-stuffed bread was a real dining experience. My wife's saffron cream chicken dish was also terrific and together (we always share) these dishes made for a real gastronomic delight. Of course the appetizers are always terrific and rounded out with good Indian beer it was as though we had been transported back to India but on a far superior level. We both heartily endorse Masala Art and recommend it to all of our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/1/2014Menu has been revised and improved since the last time we were there. Dishes had very distinctive flavors. We will be back. Other reviews suggested that noise levels are high but it was very quiet when we were there on a Sunday evening.
- Art is RightMMMMMMMMMVIPDined on 5/30/2014We eat here all the time and I cannot adequately express how CONSISTENTLY good the food is. The flavors are tremendous and creative. We have tried nearly every appetizer on the menu and they are delightful. The entrees are good sized and fill you up. The spices are wonderful and everything is just carefully done and beautifully presented. Everything about Masala Art is wonderful, including the service, the manager, the owner, the wait staff. The naan bread is out of this world -- the rock salt and cilantro in particular. Perhaps one of the best restaurants in all of Washington.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal, as always!LPG1VIPDined on 5/24/2014The chicken & lamb dishes were excellent, but I'd return again and again if only because of the rock salt nan and the perfect vodka martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- scubadiverVIPDined on 5/18/2014Masala Art is our go-to joint after a Cathedral Choral Society concert. Street parking. An easy drive from National Cathedral. And excellent cuisine. Indian food could make a vegetarian out of me.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014Can't wait for the new location in SW! Delicious Indian food in a great neighborhood location, steps from Tenleytown metro.Special Features:
- f you have patience and timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2014The food is good and the service is okay once you get seated. Somehow making a reservation doesn't seem to mean much . So if you have plenty of patience and time at hand, might be worth a try
- Good, with some unusual dishesBetsyVIPDined on 5/11/2014We went here for the first time for a birthday dinner. We liked it -- the service was attentive but not too much so, and the food was all good. The pineapple fritters, lentil dumplings, and fig/date ice cream probably ranked as our favorites, but everything was good and many of the dishes were ones we hadn't encountered at other Indian restaurants. So we would definitely go again if we were in the neighborhood and up for Indian food. But I'm not sure anything was outstanding enough to draw us back otherwise.
- Very disappointing.SteveVIPDined on 5/10/2014After reading all of the great reviews, I was terribly disappointed today. Service was slow and inattentive due to understaffing. Food was not very good. I won't be back.
- Fantastic blend of Indian spicesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/9/2014The food had a fantastic blend of Indian spices and was presented with a modern contemporary twist. Service was ok. Would go back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/8/2014Naan is included in the very good lunch buffet, but by the time the waiters bring you the bread, you are half way through the meal. That has happened to me several times. Kitchen needs to have it warm and ready to come out much faster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent IndianComomuchoDined on 5/3/2014Terrific and refined Indian food at reasonable prices. In addition to all the dishes you'd expect, Masala Art also offers some more unusual ones. The place is pleasant and unpretentious and not so noisy as to require you to shout at your dining companions.Special Features:
- Always goodBorincanoVIPDined on 4/29/2014Masala is a family standby (when we can get a seat). The menu is more challenging and interesting than the run-of-the-mill Indian place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/26/2014Service was VERY slow, in terms of drinks and the main course, and at first they brought us the wrong main course. It also seems they did not credit us for making the reservation through open table.
- In many wasy this is a jewel!teacherDined on 4/26/2014The food at Masala Art is wonderful! Although the lamb in both dishes was a bit on the chewy side, the sauces, bread and raita were terrific. The atmosphere is low keyed and very comfortable. However, we found our waiter supercilious. We were two women with a 6:30 reservation. Our waiter brought us past numerous tables to a twosome squeezed between the bar and the back wall at the very rear of the restaurant. When I asked if he could move the table a few inches from the wall, he ignored me. He then disappeared, and I finally flagged another waiter and asked if anyone had been assigned to our table. The original waiter appeared a few minutes later with no apologies for the delay. His service continued to be slow and indifferent.Special Features:
- Another Good Vegetarian MealotberburVIPDined on 4/13/2014We have been to Masala Art numerous times and it is consistently pleasing. Very good food quality, particularly with vegetarian dishes, at reasonable prices. The dining area and service are a cut above what one typically finds at a neighborhood Indian restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Masala Art never disappointsLPG1VIPDined on 4/12/2014My husband and I shared 3 appetizers and 1 entree -- and it was all delicious. And of course, we had their incredible rock salt nan.
- WE had a delicious dinnerlovetoeatVIPDined on 4/5/2014WE had a delicious dinner at Masala Art. We have been there several times and the food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow...BorincanoVIPDined on 3/27/2014Sometimes you can get lost in the shuffle at Masala. The menu is varied, the food is terrific, and the service is attentive...mostly. Every now and then (we live in the neighborhood and eat here often), your order just takes forever to come. The waiter apologized.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.