Masa Southwest Bar and Grill
350 Cambridge Road
Woburn, MA 01801Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
Masa Southwest Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.masarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (781) 938-8886
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast/Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Thursday - Saturday: 5:00 - 10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest
- Executive Chef: Jose Cardoza
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Masa has several space options for hosting a gathering. Whether in the private dining area, the bar or even the entire restaurant, masa can accommodate various sized groups. The restaurant is perfect for a jovial holiday party or a more intimate dining experience, making masa the ideal spot.
- Private Party Contact: Mohamad El Zein 7819388886
A word from Masa Southwest Bar and Grill
Masa Southwest Bar and Grill is a welcome addition to the neighborhood. Just like it's location in Boston, Masa offers an award winning menu of "new Southwest" cuisine, pairing flavors and cooking styles of the Southwestern kitchen with local New England ingredients. They have been awarded "Best New Restaurant" by Food & Wine Magazine. Allison Arnet of the Boston Globe has acclaimed Masa, "A Southwestern Air of Sophistication." Matt Schafer of the Boston Herald has also acclaimed Aviles's food "Amazing." Owner and Chef Philip Aviles, a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, brings to Masa the talent and background that makes this restaurant one of Greater Boston's finest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Masa Southwest Bar and Grill - Best Restaurants in Woburn ›
Masa Southwest Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (30)great for brunch (24)romantic (22)good for groups (21)special occasion (21)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Best BrunchmeditatefoodDined on 11/23/2014I love the brunch at Masa ! Unique and different, but also offering the traditional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodbeantownredDined on 11/8/2014Mass never disappoints, maybe except for the one time we ordered bar bites and they seemed overcooked. Might just have been our selection. This past time what we chose were all delicious. Large selection of tequila as well. My entre was very good but perhaps not as flavorful as I would have liked. I'd give my entree three stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, lousy servicegoodfoodgoodserviceVIPDined on 11/8/2014We've been going to Masa ever since it opened in this location and each visit brings something different. The food Saturday night was excellent - we were all happy with our entrees and the appetizers with the exception of a rather sad salad and the desserts were excellent. Our waiter however was really bad - impatient and kind of surly. Because the food was good and we were with friends it didn't ruin the evening but each of us remarked upon it at one point or another.Special Features:
- meditatefoodDined on 11/8/2014Love the tapas menu and the beet salad and sweet Potato salad were delicious! JoanSpecial Features:
- Food not so greatVisiting14Dined on 11/1/2014I had eaten at Masa in the past and was looking forward to going back since my dinner that time was fantastic. I was greatly disappointed the other night when my food this time was not so fantastic and left me feeling gross. The filet minon was over seasoned and salty; the corn bread was dry and overcooked. We got the dessert to split which (I don't remember their name for it) was the banana bread pudding - every bite I kept hoping it would taste better but no such luck. I left feeling greatly disappointed especially after the money I had just dropped. Won't be going there again.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantNoJoDined on 10/26/2014We have been to Masa numerous times. The food and service are always great. We especially enjoy the brunch on Saturday/Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what you would expect - GO!Redsoxfan1964VIPDined on 10/25/2014What a great restaurant. Unique, visually embracing, varied menu, awesome food - it is fantastic. Not what you would expect from a "bar and grille" in a strip mall. Looks like a high-end, downtown restaurant. Menu is varied and fantastic. We had very varied items and all of them were fantastic. The Ahi "Cabo Roll" was meal in itself. Our waiter was just OK but the ambiance and food more than made up for that. We will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014Excellent service! Also wanted fish grilled for fish tacos instead of fried and they did that without a problem, however the food is overpriced for the portion received. The chicken sandwich is listed as coming with avocado but it is just a smear of green on the roll, not a slice of avocado as expected. The menu online is different from the actual menu. It should be kept up to date.
- Good food, ok servicemotobeanVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was good but the service was slowwww. It took a while for our waitress to take a our drink orders and then the drinks took absolutely forever to get to the table. Same happened for our second drinks- to the point that we were scared that we would be done with our meals before the drinks came even though we ordered before we got our food.
- Great foodmate1Dined on 10/15/2014We shared the a combo platter of tapas - delicious! The stuffed avocado salad and the grilled calamari were also very tasty. The place is nice; the energy is different from the location in the South End (where it seems to be more lively). The service wasn't bad but wasn't great either.Special Features:
- Waited over 15 to see a waiterAmandaPowers14Dined on 10/5/2014We were sat and the place wasn't busy at all, but yet we had no one I mean no one come to out table, we waited to be seen for over 15 min, not normal for a semi empty restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLoverDined on 10/2/2014This was our first time here. The food was excellant. The Tapas combo was very well presented and very good. Our main course - braised pork shoulder and strip steak was excellent. The onion rings which were served witht he strip steak were the best we have ever had. Service was great!Special Features:
- Something for everyonemiddkidDined on 9/27/2014Someone had described Masa to me as "Tex-Mex" and that conjured a more lowbrow image for some reason in my mind. But I was delighted to find a super classy, gourmet, high-end fusion spot with a huge variety of options from fish to beef and everything in between! A wonderful bar menu too. Its location in a strip mall is a bit deceiving: once you're inside, you don't know you're not on a chic downtown Boston street. Highly recommended-- I'll be back, I'm sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousCocoDined on 9/24/2014the food at this little gem is fabulous. I am never disappointed. Southwestern cuisine. I disliked spicy food before being introduced to Masa and the tastes they offer with spicy sparkle have converted me.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2014Enjoyable dinner, good value, nice presentation dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeCeliacfriendlyDined on 9/7/2014I have Celiac Disease and this restaurant offered everything I required gluten free, above and beyond. The time and care the staff spend on the patients is incomparable. To mention the food is hard because it captures flavors perfectly with a very artistic touch. Great for lunch or dinner. Med cruisinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very good experienceGeoffMDined on 9/4/2014Very quiet, great menu selection and service. I have to say this was one of the most pleasant and satisfying dining experience I've had in a while. Rare tuna and mahi mahi entries perfectly cooked and presented with complimentary sauces and vegetables. Add an interesting habanero spiced margarita and smooth chocolate dessert for a great dining experience. Server was knowledgeable and attentive without being intrusive. I'd definitely return. I just hope they can survive given the paucity of customers on the Thursday evening we dined.Special Features:
- Kitchen Malfunctiontmk8813VIPDined on 8/31/2014I am a fan of Masa and frequently go for work lunches. On this occasion, this was my first brunch experience and when we arrived we were told that there was an electrical problem that morning and they were running behind on prep so food would take a little longer than usual. No problem there, that happens. But, after sitting ordering our meals and sitting for 15 minutes, we were told that what we ordered the kitchen could not accommodate so we need to change our order to a mainly egg dish. Another 20 minutes go by before our eggs came out and while the food was good it was not what we were looking forward to. I wish we had gone on a different day, I usually am a fan of Masa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just so, so.StacyDined on 8/30/2014We arrived at Masa. Was kindly greeted and taken to our table. Extremely limited menu. No specials for dinner, only drink specials. I ordered the house Margarita. It was the WORST Margarita I've ever had. We ordered off the prix fix menu, figuring it would be ok. My husbands chicken was awful. They say slow roasted, not sure if one piecewas cooked? I ordered the filet. It was ok. Flavor was good, I've had better. Another waiter told another nearby table about the Tapas menu. We were never told about it. Chocolate Tacos for dessert were good. Server was pleasant. Will not return.
- gourmet dining in the suburbskml123Dined on 8/29/2014Excellent southwest cuisine, Spicy without being [prohibitively "hot". It allows us to taste the spicing and enjoy the blend of flavors. Highly recommend this restaurant. Brunch is excellent as well.Special Features:
- wonderful foodhpycamperDined on 8/28/2014The food was delicious. Very flavorful and unique. Thank you for a great night. I'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDiverDined on 8/28/2014Had high hopes for this restaurant but walked away disappointed. Ordered a margarita with a high end tequila. It was so sour I could barely drink it and had just a splash of tequila so it had no tequila flavor at all. Had the Adobo chicken which was bland and boring...it was served with sautéed kale which I could have made at home in 5 minutes. The best part of the meal was the crusty bread and the spreads. My hubby had the pork torte which was supposed to be pork shank (normally very tasty) but it was actually just overdone pork loin. The restaurant is very pretty and the service was great, but the kitchen needs some attention. Sadly we won't go back.
- Never Disappointsenjoying65VIPDined on 8/24/2014Both our adult children with their spouses (and our one grandchild) live in the Boston area. When we visit, we always have brunch at Masa. Children are welcomed at brunch and have their own menu. My grandson loves the chocolate chip pancakes. The rest of us enjoy the adult offerings. The adults enjoy dinner here as well. Great menu.Special Features:
- Could have been.....TexaschemistVIPDined on 8/22/2014Excited to visit Masa during restaurant week. Love the concept of southwest interpretations using local NW ingredients. Flaunt as appetizer was very nice. Main course of roasted chicken was quite tasty and well cooked. Chocolate dessert was not edible. Both my wife and I left it alone after two bites. A first for us. Also, our margaritas were left half full as we just thought it horrible. Waiter was nice, service slow, ambiance fairly nice and understated. Just not worth the price nor effort.
- Masa Woburn - hidden gemfoxgrrlDined on 8/21/2014Dined at Masa during Restaurant Week/Dine Out Boston. Was not disappointed! The food was prepared with creativity and care, the portions were just right, and for a prix fixe menu, there were enough options to satisfy all palates. Was not thrilled with the calamari steak appetizer, it needed "something", fell flat but that was the only disappointment. The chicken adobado was delicious, the pork loin was outstanding, and the coconut flan and chocolate tacos were delightful. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Vtnguyen2Dined on 8/16/2014Great food and service, waiter was very accomodating when asked about a drink not on the menu. Had one cousin under 21 and she didn't want anything other than water, but waiter brought out a complimentary Margarita sans alcohol for her so she didn't feel left out. That was very sweet! Food was great and atomsphere was perfect. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around great find.JessvGDined on 8/9/2014All the makings of a moderately fancy restaurant with outdoor seating. Can bring your mother for brunch, take a client to lunch, and enjoy a celebratory dinner here. And, they do a great job welcoming kids and introducing them to finer dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1088 reviews are from the Masa Southwest Bar and Grill reviews archive.
- Another Home RunRAMPIONDined on 7/13/2014Just had Sunday Brunch and MASA has not disappointed. Awesome Service, seating outside and wonderful food to start a Sunday. Have been here on several occasions and it has never been a disappointing dining experience. Also offered some amazing deals on brunch within certain hours on Saturday and Sunday that will work on any budget minded patrons. An excellent choice for brunch, lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunchenjoying65VIPDined on 7/13/2014We always enjoy taking our family here for brunch when we visit them. While we wouldn't think of taking our 4 year for dinner, they are child friendly and adults can enjoy a great brunch in a lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchRuthieVIPDined on 6/29/2014Diverse menu. Excellent service. Nice atmosphere and reasonable prices. All in all a great spot anytimeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mmmmmmmmmmmDined on 6/28/2014We took my boyfriend's father out for a belated Father's Day dinner, and it was fantastic. Pops got the swordfish "Catch of the Day," bf had the steak tips and I had the grilled tequila lime shrimp. Every plate was justifiably cleaned. We ordered a la carte rather than going strictly by courses, although I will return to get a full experience soon. We did indulge in desserts, which were unique and decadent.Special Features:
- Tasteful take on a regional cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/19/2014Southwestern American food is a regional delight that was popular 20 years ago and fell back so that it is hard to find it in New England these days. I drove an hour to this place because I like the fresh take on ingredients and the ambiance that is upscale like some places I like in AZ and NM. I had tuna with a yellow mole that combines rare ahi which you can get in many Asian places but with wood grilling and a Mexican sauce it becomes something all together different and tasty. I come back here when in the area and take people here, this was a dinner meeting. The service was attentive and friendly without being in our faces. I will come back.Special Features:
- Fathers Day DinnerDevNDined on 6/15/2014Our experience was mixed for this special occasion. While the food quality was good, the service was terrible. Our bread basket arrived after our appetizers and when we asked for the bread basket(which we were told was coming soon) the waitress' response was very rude. When the waiter delivered the 'bread basket', his attitude was very poor as well. My daughter ordered one of the 'chicken' dishes and she got 'lasagna'. Our waiter admitted that he made a mistake and put in the order for the same and it arrived much after the rest of the family finished our dinner. Our waiter was kind enough to ask us 'shall i put away your food until the chicken dish is ready - REALLY'? My family does not want to go back there AGAIN!Special Features:
- Why make a reservation?PrisslVIPDined on 6/15/2014The reason that I did not rate this dining experience as outstanding is due to the fact that I made a reservation for 12:30 and wasn't seated until almost 1:00. The hostess kept telling us that our table would be ready in a minute, which was a flat out lie. I explained that we had time issues, and she reassured me that we would be seated in a minute, and we weren't. I had this conversation with her four times before we were finally seated shortly before 1:00. Sadly, there were many tables open, just waiting to be cleared and set.Special Features:
- Great food, understaffedFoodie74Dined on 6/15/2014We had brunch on Father's Day. The food was excellent as always but they were significantly understaffed. Service took forever, tables were left a long while before being cleaned up and even the manager had to switch to be a waiter after the line up front was getting too longSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually a hit, but......OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Usually, we love dining at Masa in Woburn. The tapas menu in the bar is great and it's a wonderful quick stop after work. But, there were some issues with the service that the good food could not address when we ate there for brunch on Father's Day. The host & hostess and the server were great, but the kitchen staff who was delivering meals to guests should have been told to adjust the attitude when entering the dining room. Yes, I know that the restaurant was crowded with families, but that was not an excuse for the eyerolls behind waitstaff who were seating guests. And, it was noticed by those of us who had been seated. Time to have a talk with the whole staff about customer service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just love it here!rcs249VIPDined on 6/14/2014We had a wonderful dinner for 4 here and were delighted by the many GF options that my daughter could choose from. The food is always delicious, the service is always solid, drinks always inventive.Special Features:
- A terrific local spotMeganmomDined on 6/8/2014We always enjoy our meals at Masa and it's really convenient. We've never had a bad meal and there are excellent options on the menu.Special Features:
- Great Latin/New American Flair!TapwaterVIPDined on 5/25/2014Unfortunately, it is too easy for chefs to fall into the trap of taking high-end ingredients and over-cheesing, over-frying, or over-spicing them as the way to a Latin/New American meal. The team of chef-owner Philip Aviles and executive chef José Cardoza of Masa is one of the very few that manages to pull off Latin/New American and elevate their dishes to a sublime level. I can honestly say that I have never been disappointed with my meal there, and I have been to Masa many times. As I leave the restaurant I always have that warm tingle in my mouth that says I am just returning from a culinary adventure of the most exciting and satisfying (and Latin) kind. All I can say is, "Bravo gentlemen, hasta la próxima!"Special Features:
- Another Great Visit!MikeVIPDined on 5/18/2014Once again, Masa did not disappoint! Celebrating a belated Mother's Day with 3 female family members who had never been to Masa before, each guest was impressed with how delicious their meals were, loved the assortment of breakfast breads, and the decor of the restaurant. Will, once again, was outstanding as our waiter and was very attentive, making each guest feel extra special. Looking forward to going back to Masa for more special occasions in the future!Special Features: