Masa - Boston
439 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
Masa - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.masarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6173388884x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch is served every weekend: Saturdays 10am -3pm and Sundays 9am -3pm. Fiesta Brunch $7.95 Special offered Saturday Brunch from 10am -3pm and Sunday Brunch from 9am-11am.
Dinner is served Sunday-Thursday: 5pm -10pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00 -11:00pm. Bar & Tapas Menu is served an additional hour pre and post dinner service and till Midnight on Thursdays.
Bar hours are Sunday-Wednesday until 12am, Thursday-Saturday until 1am. Reservations are accepted only for the dining room.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest
- Executive Chef: Philip Aviles
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering Events are available through event coordinator for corporate luncheons, dinners and private events.
- Private Party Facilities: Masa’s casually elegant Southwestern décor is inviting, filled with creams and natural tones and Mexican influenced mahogany accents. Lit with handmade light fixtures, beaded sconces and candles, the interior has an overall welcoming ambiance. Masa is the ideal spot to entertain for all occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Surprenant 6173388884x
- Entertainment: Live Band every Thursday from 9:30pm-12:30am.
- Special Events: Monday is Industry Night--Receive 20% off entire bill for those in the hospitality industry.
Thursday nights--Live music by Los four (Latin, Reggae, Funk, Jazz, Classics). 1/2 off tapas all night long on Thursdays.
Happy Hour--1/2 off tapas 4pm-7pm and 10pm-close every evening.
A word from Masa - Boston
Welcome to Masa, where the Southwest meets the South End. For over a decade we've been spicing up the palates of Boston's most sophisticated diners and serving up libations to the hip bar crowds from the South End, Back Bay, and Theater District. Our menu pairs the flavors and cooking styles of a Southwestern kitchen with fresh New England ingredients. Combine this with our carefully selected wine and tequila lists or our original award-winning cocktails and Margaritas to put the finishing touches on a memorable evening that feels like a short trip to Santa Fe.Continued
For information about Private Events, please see our website below.
For information about Private Events, please see our website below.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Masa - Boston - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Masa - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (70)fit for foodies (50)neighborhood gem (49)good for groups (32)special occasion (28)vibrant bar scene (25)romantic (20)hot spot (13)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (12)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (7)late-night find (3)Show More
- Cool spot. Would maybe go backBerkerycVIPDined on 8/13/2014Food wasn't agree as I heard and menu felt limited but it was a cool spotSpecial Features:
- Excellent brunchBestbrunchDined on 8/9/2014I brought my inlaws from the UK here for a fun boston brunch and food to atmosphere, they loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best brunchJaneVIPDined on 8/2/2014Super creative and delicious brunch dishes. All the favorites are there but with fantastic Latin influences, plantain, mango, etc. The prices are very reasonable. My new fave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HunterDined on 8/1/2014Best service from a lovely young man who just couldn't do enough and couldn't have been nicer! Would go back to sit in the bar area during their tapas happy hour ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best and worst foodfoodloversVIPDined on 7/27/2014Masa serves some of the best and tastiest dishes around - but they also serve some mediocre food, and occasionally some terrible food. Typically the appetizers are outstanding, and we had a fantastic chilled green chili gazpacho. But we also had the mussels appetizer - usually very tasty, but this time with a very few and pathetically scrawny mussels, including an ok-looking but awful one. They quite properly took the mussels off the check (after one reminder). Our other dishes ranged from pretty good to bland and tasteless. We've been coming to Masa on and off for years - when we have a mixed experience, it takes a long time to consider trying it again, but the good dishes are really good. Too bad they can't be more consistent!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014I've been to Masa for brunch before and the food is always excellent. This time, we were hoping for a low-key night of drinking sangria. After we were seated, the waiter seemed frazzled and when we tried to put in a drink order, we were told we HAD to order food with it, per state law (I've since found that's not actually the case). He actually didn't even take our drink order until after we had to order food. The sangria pitcher took forever and he never checked in to ask if we wanted another, which we did. When we asked for it, we were told it was last call, and then told 'Nope, we done' at 11 even though the website states they are open until 12. Frustrating we had no warning and it put a damper on the night.Special Features:
- What happened?MarcicVIPDined on 7/20/2014I have always loved Masa- great food, tequila and fun vibe. We we arrived this time there was only one other table occupied. My husband said that we should leave and find another place to eat, but I had been looking forward to our meal and requested that we stay. MISTAKE. The Tuna appetizer was the best thing we ate. The Salmon Cevechi was tasteless and watery. Our meat was fatty and the service was just OK. The hostess kindly refunded our meat after admitting that they substituted a different cut that night (then why serve it?). Just the same it was nice of her to understand. I was so disappointed in the whole experience.
- great food and service!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 7/6/2014We went in on a Sunday around 8 and was surprised to be only one of two tables seated. It became even more surprising when we received our food because everything was amazing! Maybe it was just a slow night. Highly recommend the salmon ceviche, by far the best ceviche I have ever had. The boy loved his chicken with mole sauce and the beer battered eggplant rolls. I got the pork shoulder which was fall off the bone tender. Drinks were awesome, we even had the bartender surprise us with some concoctions of his own and he didn't disappoint! Ambiance is not memorable, but the food definitely is!Special Features:
- Incredibly cheap brunchbrunchaholic14Dined on 7/6/2014I paid $7.95 for a main entree, appetizer and coffee, plus I got free cornbread and blueberry loaf with jams and maple butter. How do you beat that in Boston?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucked outPickyeaterDined on 7/5/2014We obviously went into Boston on the right day--no traffic and plenty of on street parking. Masa was empty, but this may not be the norm. Menu as a whole looked good and my salmon was excellent. Good spot before the theater (calderwood) as it is a short walk away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - mediocre experienceTravelGirlVIPDined on 6/29/2014I was really looking forward to trying Masa. Their website looks hip and inviting. The restaurant on the other hand is dark and dismal - glasses had bits of dirty food all over them and the window sills were filth covered. Tables were clean as was floor. Food was okay - served with no thought to plating the bacon and french toast were excellent. Fruit bowl was very plain. The Huevos rancheros were bone dry - eggs and tortillas - no salsa, no sauce - just dry. It was hard getting drink refills and our server while nice acted like we were interrupting him from doing something more important every time we asked for something. The bottom line - we probably won't go back. The place is very popular but apparently we miss the attraction.Special Features:
- Tapas Deal of the YearMorganVIPDined on 6/26/2014I met my friend here after work for margaritas and tapas on Thursday and all night the tapas are 50 cents each! Such a deal. It was different than any other tapas I had ordered since individual appetizers instead of more sharing platters but we got a combo platter which is one of everything and then decided what we liked. The bar area (only place they serve tapas, so it gets a bit crowded) was busy and vibrant but the bartender was so cool and attentive! I appreciate bartenders who can make a great margarita (I had the sangria margarita and she had classic margarita & we both enjoyed). I wish dining area also served tapas since bar area got crowded. I have heard great things about their brunch so would love to come back and check that out!Special Features:
- Tequila!ElceeDined on 6/20/2014The best margaritas ever! Great tequila flights if your an aficianado as well as some of the best infused tequilas I've ever had try the habanero watermelon you won't regret itSpecial Features:
- ladybugladybugDined on 6/15/2014Great food, small neighborhood gem... Good choice of brunch itemsSpecial Features:
- reliable for brunchadamVIPDined on 6/14/2014great corn bread and huevos rancheros! Can get a bit loud, but a great placeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2014Easily some of the best food ever - port shoulder, chimichangas and steak tips are absolutely to die for. White sangria was famazing and chocolate tacos hit the spot. Would definitely go back here and try more stuff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent evening at MasaAriesmomVIPDined on 6/6/2014What a wonderful meal! We both had the prix fix - a great value at $35 for three courses. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch SpotCherrypieVIPDined on 6/1/2014I've only ever been to Masa for their brunch menu but it never fails to deliver. One thing to note, the $7.95 brunch is only available till 11am on a sunday but even at full price its still worth it. I highly recommended the Habanero Watermelon MargaritaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent ExperienceScottDined on 6/1/2014My friend and I had Sunday brunch at Masa. It was a beautiful day and we were lucky enough to get outdoor seating, which was great. The service was good. I ordered the Brunch Fiesta and got the plantains and the huevos rancheros. They were pretty good, but definitely not the best I've ever had. My friend ordered the Eggs Benedict and she liked it, but didn't love it. Overall, I would say great atmosphere, decent food.Special Features:
- Will go backGeenaDined on 5/30/2014The food was fantastic! It's difficult to make something new and different with salmon but they pulled it off. My halibut special was worth the (somewhat exorbitant) $32. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed dining out this much. The noise level was energetic but not too loud to hear your friends at the table.Special Features:
- Great food; however......FoodieDined on 5/26/2014the volume was minimal. I was shocked to receive a $26.96 dish with just three shrimp and 4 mussels on it. I have never eaten at a restaurant with such a small portion and I have been telling everyone. The Tapas at Masa are superb and great value. Nevertheless, 3 shrimp and 4 mussels with sauce for $26.95 is disgraceful and I would never return for dinner.
- always funIlovespicyfoodVIPDined on 5/25/2014Love Masa, one of my favorite South End spots. I went for brunch, all was good, service was on point, prices are very reasonable. Two things--I wish they had fresh squeezed juice. I can buy Tropicana at home--I don't need to pay $3 for 5 oz of it. I'd happily pay more for the same amount of fresh squeezed. Also, they have a prix-fixe brunch menu which looked very tasty, but I didn't see anywhere on their menu that they only service this until 11am. After I ordered it and the server told me I couldn't since it was past 11, I looked for a note indicating this, but didn't see it. This was a small thing and didn't negatively affect the meal--I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Love MasaKerryDined on 5/23/2014We have been going to Masa for a while now to enjoy the great tapas and the creative drinks at their bar. We brought some friends there to dine and were incredibly impressed with the food in the dining room. I had the filet mignon and it was the best. Great staff, great atmosphere and my guests were overwhelmed with the tequila selection. Thank you Masa.Special Features:
- poor servicesouthenddinerDined on 5/23/2014there were three of us for dinner - we sat in a booth. the food was very good (it would have been better but we ended on a not-so-tasty eggplant dish). the server was just awful; she did not give us any space and was very abrasive. the service soured what could have been a great dining experience.
- Graduation celebrationdivadinerDined on 5/23/2014My second time here. Decided to have my family experience the great food for our son's graduation from MassArt. Overall, our group of 5 had a very positive experience. Loved Rosa, our waitress. She was so gracious and patient with us, answering every question thoroughly and patiently. We went at 5:30, so it was quiet and peaceful. The margaritas were awesome! Tried a new teguila and it was great! My entree was a shrimp and mussel polenta. I'm a big fan of polenta, so I really wanted to try it here. I was disappointed. The shrimp and mussels were delicious, but there wasn't any distinction between the polenta and shrimp. The polenta was far too salty, sadly. Despite my dislike for the polenta, I would highly recommend Masa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaryDined on 5/17/2014We've been here a number of times; the food is always good. On this visit, we we seated in between two large parties each celebrating a graduation so we could barely hear each other talk. It's usually not that noisy. It took a while to get food once we ordered, but when it came, it was very good, as usual. I'd go back. $17 to valet park is a drag, but that's the way it is in the South End.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/17/2014It was really loud inside so we sat outside. A couple was seated next to us. Waiter didn't come for 15min & other couple complained so much that we left. Never got to talk to a waiter. The staff seemed overwhelmed. Never got to try the food, wanted to leave that blank in the review, but it insists on a ranking.
- My go to brunch spotdarlingdinerVIPDined on 5/17/2014Masa never disappoints for brunch! The food is delicious (I can't get enough of the bread and assorted jams), and the brunch deals are fabulous ($7.95 for early risers). The eggs benedict is tasty, as are the pancakes! I've been here for drinks and tapas too, and it's been lively and fun each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inattentive WaiterUnhappyDined on 5/16/2014Our waiter was not attentive. It took forever for drinks and the food was mediocre. We were a table of six and our dishes came out one at a time by a bus boy in training meanwhile 6 members of the wait staff were socializing in the corner. The restaurant was not even busy!Special Features:
- Pre theater dinner was very goodWinedineDined on 5/10/2014Went with friends prior to Masa. Enjoyed the menu. Service was fine and got us out in time for our show nearby. Wine selection was good and fusion dishes were especially enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndaleMarieDined on 5/9/2014Great restaurant, food and staff. Walking distance from Theater District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiePancakes37Dined on 5/5/2014Went there for Cinco de Mayo. Had a reservation for 7:15. The last member of our party was 5 minutes late, so they gave our table away. We weren't seated til 8:00. Our waitress didn't come with our drinks til 8:30. And all the while, she didn't check in on us, refilled our drinks. The food was ok and not worth the terrible service. I wouldn't go back there again. I have had better experiences at McDonalds!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/5/2014Great food and ambiance! Brunch is amazing but for dinner is a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No moreHot4FoodVIPDined on 5/4/2014Have been to Masa several times, unfortunately experiences have been trending downward and now I say No More. Had a reservation for Sunday brunch, made to wait 20 min in bar for no apparent reason, incredibly unfriendly hostess at the entry to restaurant (she has got to be replaced or you will seriously loose business). Finally after complaining got table, another long wait for uninspired service and then tasty but cold huevos rancheros! Can not seriously qualify as great brunch place!!
- Bustling brunch spotKrb1212Dined on 5/4/2014Sunday Brunch was fantastic. Got there too late to get the brunch special, but the huevos rancheros were fantastic. It was really busy and packed, but since I had a reservation there was no wait at all. Definitely going to be one of my regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way tooooooo noiseyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2014Good food And service. 50 characters requiredbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What'd you say???PhepsieVIPDined on 5/2/2014Dined here with two buddies and were treated to delicious meals served up with style and good timing. Although we had a corner table in the back, once the restaurant was going on all cylinders we couldn't hear each other at all. It is so noisy that the minute you've finished your meal you head out on to the street so you can finish your conversation there. Too bad- there is more to explore on there menu, but I wouldn't try it again unless for an early dinner before it gets crowded.Special Features:
- The following 1557 reviews are from the Masa - Boston reviews archive.
- Great brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014I love this place, very reasonable prices and large portions (which is rare!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing brunchunderwhelmedDined on 4/20/2014Our Easter brunch started well with kind service from the maitre d' but declined thereafter. Our table was not suited to the number of guests, the waitress disengaged and the eggs very average. The Texas French Toast was nothing more than 1/8 loaf of fried bread with nuts on top. It came out late so, in waiting to dine together, our party's not-even-diner-quality eggs were luke warm. Waitress never explained/checked back on the late French Toast. The sliced toast with eggs was inferior (Pepperidge farms would have rejected it), potatoes nothing special. Sangria was solid, saving the meal.
- Awesome find!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/19/2014Had wanted to go many times before and now wish I had!!!! Masa is a combination of great atmosphere, wonderful food, and TERRIFIC service!!!! Everyone loved their meals and drinks. Our waitress was soooo knowledgeable of every meal and Masa's unique drinks--we will be returning often--great experience!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.