Masa - Boston
439 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
Masa - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.masarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 338-8884
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch is served every weekend: Saturdays 10am -3pm and Sundays 9am -3pm. Fiesta Brunch $7.95 Special offered Saturday Brunch from 10am -3pm and Sunday Brunch from 9am-11am.
Dinner is served Sunday-Thursday: 5pm -10pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00 -11:00pm. Bar & Tapas Menu is served an additional hour pre and post dinner service and till Midnight on Thursdays.
Bar hours are Sunday-Wednesday until 12am, Thursday-Saturday until 1am. Reservations are accepted only for the dining room.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest
- Executive Chef: Philip Aviles
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering Events are available through event coordinator for corporate luncheons, dinners and private events.
- Private Party Facilities: Masa’s casually elegant Southwestern décor is inviting, filled with creams and natural tones and Mexican influenced mahogany accents. Lit with handmade light fixtures, beaded sconces and candles, the interior has an overall welcoming ambiance. Masa is the ideal spot to entertain for all occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Surprenant 6173388884x
- Entertainment: Live Band every Thursday from 9:30pm-12:30am.
- Special Events: Monday is Industry Night--Receive 20% off entire bill for those in the hospitality industry.
Thursday nights--Live music by Los four (Latin, Reggae, Funk, Jazz, Classics). 1/2 off tapas all night long on Thursdays.
Happy Hour--1/2 off tapas 4pm-7pm and 10pm-close every evening.
A word from Masa - Boston
Welcome to Masa, where the Southwest meets the South End. For over a decade we've been spicing up the palates of Boston's most sophisticated diners and serving up libations to the hip bar crowds from the South End, Back Bay, and Theater District. Our menu pairs the flavors and cooking styles of a Southwestern kitchen with fresh New England ingredients. Combine this with our carefully selected wine and tequila lists or our original award-winning cocktails and Margaritas to put the finishing touches on a memorable evening that feels like a short trip to Santa Fe.Continued
For information about Private Events, please see our website below.
For information about Private Events, please see our website below.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Masa - Boston - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Masa - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)fit for foodies (44)great for brunch (38)romantic (23)good for groups (23)special occasion (21)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (14)great for outdoor dining (13)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (7)late-night find (3)Show More
- collegefoodieDined on 11/1/2014Wonderful! Will definitely come back to this place soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointedNessaDined on 10/26/2014After all the nice reviews I read about this place, I thought it would be a great place for lunch. I though the food for average at best.
- Good Find.Seattle1999Dined on 10/25/2014Great food, lively, good service. Cougar bar that was entertaining.Special Features:
- Excellent food and cocktails!!!ChowHoundDined on 10/25/2014Food is delicious! I ordered the braised pork shoulder with garlic whipped mashed potatoes! I want to eat it again!!! The molasses butter is fantastic! Love it!!! Cornbread is amazing! Place is a bit too dark for me. I asked for a candle. Overall great! I would go back again. Worth returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice nightmickproDined on 10/25/2014went into the South End for a nice night and this was an ideal kick-off. great location, and the food and service were very good. Room's a tad dark, the people next to us resorted to phones as flashlights for reading menus, but overall very very satisfying.Special Features:
- Masa is a delightSaintDined on 10/23/2014This was our third trip to Masa. We have lots to choose from in Boston but this has become one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch Fiesta a great bargainNorthEnderDined on 10/19/2014The cornbread with the 3 different jam/butters were delicious. Had the Caramelized Plantain Empanada which was very good. If you are looking for something lighter, try the granola.The Santa Fe Style Eggs Benedict atop Southwestern Biscuits was excellent. I added the salmon and was so full I couldn't eat the home fries Other person ordered the Creamy Scrambled Eggs with Chorizo and Mexican Farmer’s Cheese. This was also good however, the toast did not come with butter/jam & had to ask for butter. The toast was cold. The waitress said that the butter and jam that came with the cornbread was all that was normally included. However, they had cleared that away when the first course came. Service was a little slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood dinner spotWendyTDined on 10/16/2014We met friends for dinner and enjoyed ourselves. Most of the dishes were good and the drinks were well-made. I would recommend it to others if you ask the waiter what to order!Special Features:
- exciting South-West-Mexican fusionojarskDined on 10/11/2014Besides the very attentive service and very pleasant décor, this restaurant stands out with its innovative cuisine. All the dishes we ordered had enjoyable novel taste combinations. The only criticism I have is that the very tasty SINGLE scoop of Mexican chocolate ice-cream should not cost $7.Special Features:
- Best brunch dealRyan86VIPDined on 10/5/2014Not only is this a great deal for brunch, but the food is consistently amazing!!Special Features:
- Wonderful, as always.KerryDined on 9/30/2014We keep coming back to Masa. Over and over, because of the food, the people, the place, the service. Never disappointed. It was a very quiet night, a Tuesday, and it was our anniversary. The food was perfect and they topped it off with a nice touch of Cava and best wishes for us with our desert. Lovely gesture. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great food/awful service12yrsNhospitalityDined on 9/21/2014The food was AMAZING! It just took 20 mins for our server to acknowledge we were there. It was a busy Sunday morning and everyone was waiting 30+ mins for their reservation. The host, understandably, explained that people were sitting longer than anticipated. (No worries, I work as a host too and that happens). However, upon sitting down it was glaringly obvious why no one was leaving. We asked for a coffee refill before our food arrived and got a refill with the check. Three meals came to the table, we asked the server several mins where the other meal was and she responded "oh yeah..." Basically, amazing food but the service was horribly lacking. And suddenly having the manager appear to clear the table and refill drinks doesn't make up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchAmandaDined on 9/21/2014I'd recommend Masa for brunch for sure. Our waitress was really slow but I think everyone else's waitress was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Sunday BrunchBagsDined on 9/21/2014When was the last time you had went to a wonderful brunch for $7.95 including wonderful coffee? We sat outdoors and it was so charming, the food was excellent and the Sunday brunch, just perfect. I had a champagne cocktail and a friend had a bloody mary, both were excellent. A true GEM, do not miss it and just a stroll in the south neighborhood. We loved walking back to our hotel through all the charming brick homes. Beautiful Boston!Special Features:
- Delicious and inventiveLove2eatVIPDined on 9/20/2014Had a roast chicken with habanero and peach salsa that was so very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly DisappointedReeseDined on 9/19/2014I haven't been here in years....so I was excited to return but was sadly disappointed. The margaritas were not good at all. Tastes like they use sour mix from the gun- big no no. Was also disappointed in the food. The tapas tasted like they could have been frozen & reheated. We did have a great appetizer and our waitress, although very slow, was very nice. And the atmosphere is awesome. Such a nice place...I hope they make some changes to their food/drinks!
- Birthday DinnerJessieDined on 9/18/2014Went here for my birthday dinner. Wonderful service... the guy knocked it out of the park. Wish I could remember his name! The drink menu was great. Wish I had tried the sangria instead of the sangria marg, but it was pretty good. The pork shoulder is incredible! Best thing we had. I got ahi tuna, which was very good, but I think I like it in an asian recipe a bit better. The churros and the tamale chocolate tort are wonderful if you get dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, not-great serviceJenBDined on 9/14/2014Unfortunately, the service was not great at this visit to Masa. The waitstaff had to be repeatedly asked for me to get a single refill on my coffee. Our water glasses remained empty, even when we asked for more water. Our waitress did not check in on us during our brunch. The food was very tasty, but the service really put a damper on the meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/6/2014We like it here, but always feel like the meal could have been better. The dishes sound bolder on paper than they actually come out on the plate. Nice lighting (I have a thing about lighting), mellow atmosphere, but a few too many tables crammed in considering the restaurant is never full (although I hear it gets busy for brunch). Margs are, of course, very tasty. If we lived closer, we would stop in at the bar more often.
- Incredible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/6/2014Simply incredible service. Waiter was very patient and friendly. My friend and I did not feel rushed at all. The food was as delicious as ever.
- Overpriced and underwhelmingSPGreenDined on 8/30/2014Not sure if the restaurant is under new management now, but Masa's quality has definitely gone down since we first visited last year. The waitress was rarely available, there was confusion with our tickets and the food left a lot to be desired. The tomato sauce tasted very strongly of "tin can" and the chicken "adobado," despite sounding delicious, was flavorless and dry. Others in my party felt similarly about their food. Paying close to $80 for a meal we barely enjoyed seemed a criminal waste, but we learned our lesson and will likely avoid this place in the future, unfortunately.Special Features:
- Good food.SamsDined on 8/25/2014We recently tried this restaurant during the Boston's Dine out week. We enjoyed a 3 course meal for the price of $28. Ordered spinach and artichoke flautas which were delicious. For dinner, I ordered the coconut crusted mahi mahi, which was tasty, although the fish was overcooked and fairly dry. The coconut flan for dessert was amazing. Would definitely go back to try out some of their other options.Special Features:
- Poor Service All That Lingersctl5Dined on 8/24/2014I went to Masa for the restaurant week special. After being seated (with an OpenTable reservation), nobody came for ten minutes. No water, nobody to take our drink order, nothing. When we reached out to the host (who was standing there the entire time, changing the song on his iPod), he sent over our waitress. We should have taken this as a sign that this meal was not going to be ideal. Our bread basket came before our drinks did, and while the food was fine, the service made the meal very unpleasant. Our drinks were taken away before they were finished (which for $12 a piece, was absurd) and the waitress seemed pained that we wanted items wrapped up. Finally, the cherry on top, was the 15minute wait before receiving our bill. Never again.
- Cool spot. Would maybe go backBerkerycVIPDined on 8/13/2014Food wasn't agree as I heard and menu felt limited but it was a cool spotSpecial Features:
- Excellent brunchBestbrunchDined on 8/9/2014I brought my inlaws from the UK here for a fun boston brunch and food to atmosphere, they loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best brunchJaneVIPDined on 8/2/2014Super creative and delicious brunch dishes. All the favorites are there but with fantastic Latin influences, plantain, mango, etc. The prices are very reasonable. My new fave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HunterDined on 8/1/2014Best service from a lovely young man who just couldn't do enough and couldn't have been nicer! Would go back to sit in the bar area during their tapas happy hour ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1591 reviews are from the Masa - Boston reviews archive.
- Best and worst foodfoodloversVIPDined on 7/27/2014Masa serves some of the best and tastiest dishes around - but they also serve some mediocre food, and occasionally some terrible food. Typically the appetizers are outstanding, and we had a fantastic chilled green chili gazpacho. But we also had the mussels appetizer - usually very tasty, but this time with a very few and pathetically scrawny mussels, including an ok-looking but awful one. They quite properly took the mussels off the check (after one reminder). Our other dishes ranged from pretty good to bland and tasteless. We've been coming to Masa on and off for years - when we have a mixed experience, it takes a long time to consider trying it again, but the good dishes are really good. Too bad they can't be more consistent!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014I've been to Masa for brunch before and the food is always excellent. This time, we were hoping for a low-key night of drinking sangria. After we were seated, the waiter seemed frazzled and when we tried to put in a drink order, we were told we HAD to order food with it, per state law (I've since found that's not actually the case). He actually didn't even take our drink order until after we had to order food. The sangria pitcher took forever and he never checked in to ask if we wanted another, which we did. When we asked for it, we were told it was last call, and then told 'Nope, we done' at 11 even though the website states they are open until 12. Frustrating we had no warning and it put a damper on the night.Special Features:
- What happened?MarcicVIPDined on 7/20/2014I have always loved Masa- great food, tequila and fun vibe. We we arrived this time there was only one other table occupied. My husband said that we should leave and find another place to eat, but I had been looking forward to our meal and requested that we stay. MISTAKE. The Tuna appetizer was the best thing we ate. The Salmon Cevechi was tasteless and watery. Our meat was fatty and the service was just OK. The hostess kindly refunded our meat after admitting that they substituted a different cut that night (then why serve it?). Just the same it was nice of her to understand. I was so disappointed in the whole experience.
- great food and service!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 7/6/2014We went in on a Sunday around 8 and was surprised to be only one of two tables seated. It became even more surprising when we received our food because everything was amazing! Maybe it was just a slow night. Highly recommend the salmon ceviche, by far the best ceviche I have ever had. The boy loved his chicken with mole sauce and the beer battered eggplant rolls. I got the pork shoulder which was fall off the bone tender. Drinks were awesome, we even had the bartender surprise us with some concoctions of his own and he didn't disappoint! Ambiance is not memorable, but the food definitely is!Special Features:
- Incredibly cheap brunchbrunchaholic14Dined on 7/6/2014I paid $7.95 for a main entree, appetizer and coffee, plus I got free cornbread and blueberry loaf with jams and maple butter. How do you beat that in Boston?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucked outPickyeaterDined on 7/5/2014We obviously went into Boston on the right day--no traffic and plenty of on street parking. Masa was empty, but this may not be the norm. Menu as a whole looked good and my salmon was excellent. Good spot before the theater (calderwood) as it is a short walk away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - mediocre experienceTravelGirlVIPDined on 6/29/2014I was really looking forward to trying Masa. Their website looks hip and inviting. The restaurant on the other hand is dark and dismal - glasses had bits of dirty food all over them and the window sills were filth covered. Tables were clean as was floor. Food was okay - served with no thought to plating the bacon and french toast were excellent. Fruit bowl was very plain. The Huevos rancheros were bone dry - eggs and tortillas - no salsa, no sauce - just dry. It was hard getting drink refills and our server while nice acted like we were interrupting him from doing something more important every time we asked for something. The bottom line - we probably won't go back. The place is very popular but apparently we miss the attraction.Special Features:
- Tapas Deal of the YearMorganVIPDined on 6/26/2014I met my friend here after work for margaritas and tapas on Thursday and all night the tapas are 50 cents each! Such a deal. It was different than any other tapas I had ordered since individual appetizers instead of more sharing platters but we got a combo platter which is one of everything and then decided what we liked. The bar area (only place they serve tapas, so it gets a bit crowded) was busy and vibrant but the bartender was so cool and attentive! I appreciate bartenders who can make a great margarita (I had the sangria margarita and she had classic margarita & we both enjoyed). I wish dining area also served tapas since bar area got crowded. I have heard great things about their brunch so would love to come back and check that out!Special Features:
- Tequila!ElceeDined on 6/20/2014The best margaritas ever! Great tequila flights if your an aficianado as well as some of the best infused tequilas I've ever had try the habanero watermelon you won't regret itSpecial Features:
- ladybugladybugDined on 6/15/2014Great food, small neighborhood gem... Good choice of brunch itemsSpecial Features:
- reliable for brunchadamVIPDined on 6/14/2014great corn bread and huevos rancheros! Can get a bit loud, but a great placeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was amazingSmiffCakesDined on 6/13/2014Easily some of the best food ever - port shoulder, chimichangas and steak tips are absolutely to die for. White sangria was famazing and chocolate tacos hit the spot. Would definitely go back here and try more stuff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent evening at MasaAriesmomVIPDined on 6/6/2014What a wonderful meal! We both had the prix fix - a great value at $35 for three courses. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.