515 W 7th Street 1st Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90014Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://masmalorestaurant.com/home/
- Phone: (213) 985-4332
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thu: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm Fri: 11:00 am - 2:00 am Sat: 9:00 am - 2:00 am Sun: 9:00 am - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Robert Luna
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether celebrating with family and friends or entertaining clients, Mas Malo features multiple private spaces available for all your private party needs.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Connors 8669439789
- Cross Street: Olive & Grand
- Public Transit: Exit 7th St/Metro Ctr. Located two blocks east on the north side of 7th. Go Green!
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking during lunch is available in the surrounding public lots and parking meters. Valet parking is available at dinner on 7th Street after 7:00 PM.
A word from Mas Malo
Mas Malo is located in downtown Los Angeles and serves Mexican cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mas Malo - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Mas Malo reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (23)good for groups (21)neighborhood gem (17)great for lunch (9)special occasion (8)hot spot (8)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Long wait, even with reservations.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/15/2014Our reservation was for 7:30p and we were seated at 8:15p. Several parties of the same size with later reservations were seated before us. I had little confidence that the hostess would honor our reservation if I dared move to the bar or step outside for a minute. She did tell me that the manager had overbooked with two very large parties and so they were struggling to accommodate their reservations. Once seated, it took a long time before anyone came over to help us. Drinks were delayed and came at about the same time as the food. Luckily the food was good, but not worth the hassle.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2014Great food (we are vegetarian), great service, cool historic Dtwn LA space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationMannyDined on 11/14/2014The ambience was good .. the food was OK not great as we were informed it would be .. the beer selection was OK .. not that big of a variety .. I would have liked the variety more if they were on tap .. would only return to this place if invited by someone else but I would first inform them of our experience.Special Features:
- Not the Malo knowStylishEatsVIPDined on 11/8/2014Took my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner and was disappointed. They place runs like a new restaurant working out the kinks in slow service, stale chips, in attentive servers, and lack luster food. Stay loyal to the Silverlake chain. Will never go to this one again.Special Features:
- Loved it!class05pradaDined on 10/24/2014The restaurant was very nice and it had an awesome setting. However, I was very disappointed in the salsa. It was like tomato sauce. It had absolutely no spice to it. Being a Mexican restaurant I expected a verity of different salsas. Overall the food was great and the drinks were amazing! Special Features:
- Mexican gem down towndocwalkDined on 10/18/2014Loud, retro, funky space and furnishings with classic Mexican cuisine. Specialty drinks were good as was starter of fresh guacamole...maybe a little small for the price. The salsa rocked with just the right kick. My 11 year old had the coke carnits and was in heaven. As was my girlfriend with her skirt steak in tamirind sauce. Don't waste your time on shrimp tacos...go to Rubio for those because the other offerings are so tasty and traditional. For desserts the flan was classic (though I missed the sea salt that was advertised), but the Tres Leches was disappointing...even Vons can do better. Overall, my girlfriend from Guadelaja said the food was spot on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Mercurio3Dined on 10/11/2014My first time at this place. The service was great! The food was delicious and our server was awesome! I had the Chicken Molé and tried the Queso Fundido with Shrimp and I couldnt stop licking my fingers!! Even though I should have used the fork lol but the tortillas were just too good and that's how u traditionally eat mexican food! The place was easy to find and parking $6 next door. i would come back to this place and order the Shrimp Flautas! I had a taste from my friend's order and wanted more. Good find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place before Baseball gameHoundstoothchickDined on 9/9/2014This is my second time here. I come here early evening both times. The wait staff is terrific, very attentive. My companion ordered the special. When the waiter asked about his satisfaction, he said he probably wouldn't order it again. So the waiter apologized and brought him a taco of his choice. I will come back again.Special Features:
- very accomodatingslsyDined on 8/23/2014we showed up with a reservation for two and asked if we could add 4 people to it (bringing it up to 6). they were incredibly accommodating and set up our table in minutes. the food was great. our server was not very attentive but that was fine. the spicy cucumber margharita can't be beat.Special Features:
- Great food!RandyDined on 8/10/2014We ordered the Baja shrimp tacos and enchiladas with tomatillo sauce upon our server's recomendation and were not disappointed. Definitely try the flight of hot sauces and the chile lime cucumber slices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time hereHoundstoothchickDined on 8/10/2014I booked a table before we saw Paul McCartney at Dodger Stadium. It was perfect! Loved the spicey cucumber margeritas! A refreshing change. The four salsas were also fun to eat as an appetizer. I would come back here again. The building used to be a grand jewelry store, in the heart of the jewelry district. It is beautiful. It was an easy drive to park at Union Station and grab the shuttle to the stadium.Special Features:
- mr.daveezeki3lDined on 8/1/20142nd time at Mas Malo. It's a cool restaurant with a great menu and excellent service. Only complaint is the noise/echo due to the design. Not much they can do about it because it's an historical space, but would not deter me from going again.Special Features:
- Mas MaloOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014With LA traffic, we were running late for our reservation. We called ahead and the hostess was very understanding and moved our reservation time. When we arrived, we were a bit apprehensive as we approached the restaurant. It looked very sketchy. However we remained optimistic since the reviews were good. After entering, we were amazed at the fantastic decor and ambience inside the restaurant. Mas Malo is truly a hidden gem! The mojitos were great and the shrimp tacos were perfectly delicious. Everything was absolutely wonderful! We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winning1Dined on 8/1/2014Food and service outstanding noise level on the high side.Special Features:
- No es Mas MaloViledinerDined on 8/1/2014Y'kno, it's the little things that make the difference. Attentive wait staff. The bus-boys aren't afraid to ask if you need anything or bring out napkins. The water was great too, I kno, water! I never had cucumber water but it tastes great! The big things are important too: The drinks were great = great bartender and the food was awesome! I've had the squash blossom (veggie) soft tacos and the weekly special, shrimp & seafood chile relleno: both were awesome! Been there twice and I plan to go back again.Special Features:
- The following 397 reviews are from the Mas Malo reviews archive.
- delicious mealslsyDined on 7/19/2014salsa sampler: $12, delicious. pico de gallo, tomatillo, mole salsa and burnt habanero. i couldn't stop eating it echo park corn: $5, corn, cotija cheese, mayo, chilli lime salt. amazing. shrimp tacos: your run of the mill deep fried shrimp in a taco, yet still delicious. coke carnitas: best carnitas i have had. very sweet flavor, delicious. and the spicy cucumber margharita was sweet with a little kick of spiciness.Special Features:
- Mas Malo is Mas BuenoOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014The restaurant is very cool---kid friendly at 6pm, and a whole different crowd at 10pm. Food was excellent, and service even better. Spicy cucumber margaritas were excellent. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Fun spot for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014This was my first visit to Mas Malo. The food choices were very interesting, not your run of the mill Mexican fare, and I loved looking at the recessed wall murals. We had great service and the food was excellent. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mas Bueno!dquon888Dined on 6/17/2014I took my co-worker to celebrate her birthday. I had gone here once before to celebrate a couple of birthdays and it was good, but at that time, a bit noisy and crowded. It was the perfect place to go this time around. It wasn't crowded, the service was good and the food was awesome. I had the Al Pastor soft tacos with avocado, pickled onions and cilantro with a salad. The serving for the salad was large and so delicious. My co-worker had the fish tacos and she said it was also delicious. There was no batter on the fish and perfectly cooked. When I booked the reservation I indicated that this was a birthday celebration and my co-worker had a complimentary tres leches which was the bomb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumm!biscuittVIPDined on 6/6/2014so good! i had the ground beef w/ pickle taco and the chicken carnitas taco. they were both great! also had the chewy chips. grossly good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayInkedbikerDined on 6/4/2014Had a great birthday dinner experience! The food and margaritas Medicina were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great downtown spotJanCDined on 6/2/2014When I have to meet someone downtown for dinner Mas Malo is great spot. It's usually always busy so the vibe is good, the food is dependable and the fresh margaritas are a treat -- no sweet-n-sour mix served at Mas Malo! The prices are reasonable/affordable. Start with the chunky guacamole (topped with pomegranate seeds) and a traditional margarita....I love the coke carnitas as my main dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsDTLAresidentDined on 5/31/2014Once again Mas Malo delivers with awesome spicy margaritas and great food. Salsa flight is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- muy maloVeritouDined on 5/30/2014This place is too loud! Hard to hold a conversation...food is ok...drinks are great!Special Features:
- Horrible FoodDissapointingDined on 5/11/2014We took our Mom to this restaurant for Monther's Day. The waiter took our order 1 hour AFTER we had been seated! the food, specially the rice looked like it was 3 days old. I ordered a Sangria and it was below par, it hald brown chunks of apple and bitter. I am very dissapointed in the food and service of this place. I will never go back!
- FoxyRoxyDined on 5/10/2014Great food and drinks! The main level is very noisy. Hard to talk to even your own table. Suggest asking for lower level seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ill be backkkkELcOMELONDined on 5/9/2014GOT THE RANCHERA OH SOOO DELICIOUS!! :) GREAT SERVICE GOOD FOOD ...I WILL COME BACK AND TRY THOSE COKE AND CARNITA TACOS! LOVED IT AND SO DID MY GIRLFRIEND ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crazy hipster scenegreengoddessDined on 5/9/2014This grand old space feels cold and cavernous and the noise level is almost deafening. The interior does not match the images on the website which make it appear warm and inviting. Our server was nice but seemed somewhat scattered, probably by the noise and surroundings, and forgot one of the items we ordered. The margaritas were fair, the food, decent, (we ordered fish tacos). The parade of young and not so young hipster wannabes provided some entertainment as they walked by our table, to and from the bar. Not our scene.Special Features:
- Had higher hopes.PhillyRichVIPDined on 5/8/2014Mad Malo is located in a beautiful Art Deco space but unfortunately the food doesn't match the ambience. The happy hour prices were great so I guess I could justify going back for a can of beer, sangria or some soggy cold nachos but I can't recommend any of the entrees.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodfoodsnobDined on 5/2/2014The food here is phenomenal! I come here as often as possible and can never get enough of the great items. Beef and pickle tacos, pork belly tacos, potato tacos, and chili relleno are among my favorites.Special Features:
- Great food! Great place for groups!DiDiVIPDined on 4/21/2014Hi! We just visited Mas Malo and had a great time with our little group. Great food, great drinks and great ambience.Special Features:
- Not worth the tripELKJVIPDined on 4/12/2014Made the trek downtown after hearing about the epic food at Mas Malo, and what a disappointment! Food was mediocre, service was some of the worst we've experienced, and the volume level inside the restaurant was insane. Would not recommend.Special Features:
- Not as good as it soundsRickDined on 4/9/2014The quality of the food was poor with very little taste or flavor. It's also really time for Mas Malo to catch up to the transformation of downtown and invest in some renovations, just a really stale feeling.
- Mas Malo Meh!KitKatDined on 4/5/2014Restaurant is an old building in Downtown LA with deco design, frescos on the wall and beautiful old crown molding and wood throughout. The food was better than average. The drinks were tasty and interesting but on the pricey side. The service was just OK. Our waiter barely checked-in on us. We had to ask several times for our drink order. The bus boy brought only one glass of tepid water to our table and forgot to bring another. We ate and boogied out. Not a place I wanted to hang and people watch or have a conversation. The restaurant is REALLY noisy. They played loud piped in music that made talking/hearing difficult. Probably wont be going here again. But hey there's so many other cool places to try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very PleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014This was my first time at Mas Malo. It is housed in what was once a jewelry store and the space is beautiful. We started with an order of guacamole which was excellent. Just enough heat to make it interesting. Our entrees, Coke Carnitas and Blasted Half Chicken were served with either a salad or rice and beans. We opted for the rice and bean, and I was pleased that the beans were not refired. The carnitas were tender and tasty and the sauce on the chicken was yummy. The margaritas were pretty taste too. We did nave an early reservation (prior to a show at the Ace Theater) and the restaurant was filling up when we left. Like many downtown places the beautiful high ceilings make for very noisy spaces.Special Features:
- Service was terrible evenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/19/2014Service was terrible even tho the restaurant was emptySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu was awesome... Hard toPatty616Dined on 3/18/2014Menu was awesome... Hard to choose. Food was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican CokeJakeDined on 3/18/2014Mexican Coke and great Margaritas and terrific food! We were staying at the Biltmore and it was an easy walk. Loved it! (Great service too)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spicy1001Dined on 3/8/2014The Good - Food was delicious and cocktails were amazing. LOVE the fact that is in Downtown LA!!! The Bad - Way too loud, making it very hard to have a good conversation. The service was OKAY, they sat us closed to the restrooms and for a while we felt they forgot about us.Special Features:
- Great ambianceAllsmilesDined on 3/7/2014Organized a birthday celebration at Mas Malo and starting from hostess to the bartender and to our waitress the service was excellent. My girls raved about the food and since we were all Mexican, we were truly surprised to learn how authentic the food really was. I would simply return for the tres leches dessert which was exquisite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.