Mas (la grillade)
28 Seventh Avenue South
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Mas (la grillade)
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.maslagrillade.com/
- Phone: 2122551795x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Daily: 6:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Galen Zamarra
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Morton Street and Leroy Street
- Public Transit: The A, C, or E and B, D, F, and Q lines all stop at West 4th Street which is approximately four blocks from the restaurant. In addition, the 1 line stops at Houston Street and is three blocks south of the restaurant.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Limited metered parking is available on Seventh Avenue South directly in front of the restaurant. In addition, a private parking garage is located on Seventh Avenue South and Morton Street. The garage is a mere one block from the restaurant.
A word from Mas (la grillade)
A French inspired grill serving New American farm to table cuisine in a gracious yet cultivated and elegant environment. James Beard Award winning Executive Chef Galen Zamarra utilizes traditional French cooking styles and rustic techniques, such as grilling, smoking, and charring, to prepare an ever-changing menu that is composed daily and hand-tied with twine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mas (la grillade) reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)special occasion (52)neighborhood gem (41)romantic (39)notable wine list (30)great for lunch (30)great for brunch (18)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- A gem!4agoodcatchDined on 8/15/2014It was absolutely worth the trip all the way from midtown! What a great discovery!Special Features:
- a nice findstanDined on 8/11/2014A very good Restaurant Week Pick (maybe the best of the four we tried). An amazingly good carrot soup and excellent smoked trout in a salad. Wonderful salmon and a delicious hamburger made from short ribs. V. good chocolate cake with coffee ice cream. We'll return.
- big let down!!!unsatisfiedVIPDined on 8/5/2014the food was not good at all...the salmon was so salty that I could barely eat it...the beans paired with the salmon...we tasteless...maybe because it was lunch and restaurant week and a few other tables it was overwhelming for the chef...THE CHOCOLATE AND BUTTERMILK CAKES TASTED LIKE ENTENMANNSSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014My wife and I had a wonderful dinner on a summer, sunday night. The service was impeccable. The descriptions given to the food entrees were very detailed and accurate - that is, either our palates agreed with the mouth-watering descriptions, or the descriptions brain-washed our perceptions. The gin martini was, by far, the best I have ever had. My wife has food allergies which were attended to perfection including a phone call prior to our visit inquiring as to the type of allergy so the chef would be ready to cook for her. The food was creative and combined flavors that we had never imagined would go so well together. La grillade is no second fiddle to Mas or any of the other first rate restaurants in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/3/2014We went here for restaurant week summer 2014, the restaurant is a lovely environment with good food, however the service was outstanding. We eat at a lot of restaurants (expensive, cheap and everything in between) and it is a rare day that the service is as good as it is at Mas. The staff were efficient and not intrusive and yet showed personality, friendliness and genuinely seemed to care about creating a great experience for the customer. It made for a wonderful and relaxing lunch.Special Features:
- ehmpettVIPDined on 8/3/2014not as good as I expected, there are places that have better atmosphere, service, food for this priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalDanielVIPDined on 7/29/2014Perfect. Period. Food, service, ambience all exceptional. I hesitate to write this for fear I won't be able to get a reservation!Special Features:
- Stellar Service & FoodTheFonzNYCDined on 7/28/2014I popped in on a Monday evening with an intimate group of friends and was treated like royalty from management and the server. Kind and gracious as ever, they made our delicious meal feel as though we were in their home. Our food was spot on and delicious- the oysters are a must have as well as the Duck and Short Rib Dish. Kudos to both the serving staff and the kitchen! I can't wait to return for more!Special Features:
- Lesser known neighborhood gemdancingfoodieVIPDined on 7/28/2014A neighborhood gem, that not enough people see to know about. Food, ambiance, service, is fine, though portions were a bit smaller recently than last time I ate there. The chef also experiments with some interesting flavors.Special Features:
- Mas (la grillade) can do no wrong!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014This is the second year in a row we've visited for NYC Restaurant Week (alas, it's a bit too pricey otherwise). The service was attentive and the food was excellent. The carrot and yogurt soup was a refreshing, tasty treat on a hot day. Portions are a bit small, but that was expected.Special Features:
- Disappointedspot141Dined on 7/27/2014I had dinner here about a month ago and thought it was one of the best meals that I've ever had. Pretty much everything was perfect. When I returned for Restaurant Week everything fell short. Service was rather rushed and the food was pretty ordinary. I will go back, but definitely not for Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh TakeAckmanDined on 7/27/2014Fresh innovative ingredients carefully prepared are the highlight of this restaurant. All the vegetables retained perfect flavor and consistency. Each dish was an interesting, tasty surprise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanePDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food. Far better than many top, much more expensive restaurants we've been too recently. Everything was absolutely delicious - perfect and mouth watering. Great wine. Fabulous evening. Go!!Special Features:
- The BestfoodloverVIPDined on 7/25/2014Had an incredible dining experience. The service was beyond excellent. Everyone was gracious, professional and efficient. All members of the staff were top notch. Kate is an asset to the restaurant. She went out of her way to make our dining experience special. The food was delicious. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still a favoriteFoodSnobDined on 7/24/2014Mas has been a favorite spot of mine for years, and I happily return again and again for the fabulous food, service, and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheDiningDivaVIPDined on 7/24/2014I thought the food wawas very deliciousand the service warm and friendly. However, except for restaurant week, I thought the prices were a little too high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ybo76ybo76Dined on 7/24/2014Dined here for the first time as a part of NYC Restaurant Week. I found the Buttermilk Cake with Grilled Peach Compote disappointing as the cake was very dry, however the rest of the dishes were very good.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week GemDJVMDined on 7/23/2014Visited Mas during Restaurant Week and am most impressed with the decor, food, an service. I hope to return another time, the presentation was top notch and the food scrumptious.Special Features:
- A real gem!NYMomVIPDined on 7/22/2014Mas (la grillade) is splendid. The menu is inventive, flavorful and unique. There is a 4 course dinner, a seven course dinner, and an al-a-carte menu. The best thing is, you can choose any dish on the menu for the four course or seven course dinner. Our table went with the four course dinner with the wine pairing. The grilled oysters were fabulous, the pressed pork dish was too. We all enjoyed every selection, and the wines were great. This is expensive, but we were celebrating a birthday, so we were prepared for that. It is a quiet place (no loud music, thank you very much) and the staff is friendly, very knowledgeable about the wine list and the menu. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014it was just ok. cocktails and dessert we highlights. everything else was just average.
- Another great mealMBODVIPDined on 7/18/2014Sixth time there and once again enjoyed a wonderful meal. Greeted warmly at the door, Kate the server was outstanding throughout the night, the food was excellent as always. The grilled oysters are still one of my all time favorites. Gnocchi was tasty, sea bass excellent, etc. All in all, just continues to surpass expectatoins. This is our sixth time there and they have never let us down.Special Features:
- service is very badAndyVIPDined on 7/16/2014I have been to this place twice but the experience was bad: 1. waiter and waitress were rude and not listen to your order. 2. they add the tip in the bill for even we were only two persons dinning there. never tell me and it's the first time restaurant do this. 3. I tip 20% of the total in the bill (after the tip amount they put in the bill, which I was not realized). I called the restaurant the second day and they reject to apologize for what they do, of course, never come out any solution to pay back the extra tip I gave them. tip to the place: if you have alcohol, make sure you are clear that you bill has not been added the tip, don't double tip them for their service. In short, very bad experience!!!
- Magnificentlive2dineoutVIPDined on 7/13/2014A gem not to be missed. This is a spectacular restaurant with impeccable service. Absolutely wonderful experience every single time.Special Features:
- management issuesartgalVIPDined on 7/12/2014If you don't want to have a minimum of four courses at eighty eight dollars in what was an empty restaurant on a Saturday night, this is not for you. It called Gillard but most things on the menu were not grilled. The oysters were and they were good. I think at their price point with all their rules, like five people must eat the same number of courses, they're creating an atmosphere that's not inviting.Special Features:
- nice neighborhood restaurantcrownheadDined on 6/28/2014I had my birthday meal/ brunches here so far. Every time i went there the service was impeccable and friendly. Mas has 28 dollar brunch menu, which is great for girlie meetups, and honestly the food is better than other crowded restaurants' nearby or those in SOHO. ruv it.Special Features:
- Delicious1pickyeaterVIPDined on 6/26/2014What a pleasant surprise to go to a restaurant and be told that you can pick and choose anything from the menu to go on the Prix fixe menu! Extraordinary service and absolutely wonderful food. Great cocktails too. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GO!MikeDined on 6/23/2014The food was great! The service was great! I loved the oysters, grilled romaine salad, and duck breast! Get the hazelnut dessert too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't away enough Good thingslive2dineoutVIPDined on 6/22/2014About this wonderful restaurant. Everything is perfection - friendly and vibrant staff, delicious and creative food combinations, great wines at all price points and stellar service. A place not to be missed and hopefully with a bright and prosper future ahead!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/14/2014Mas Farmhouse was one of the best meals I've ever had so, making the reservations at Mas la grillade was very exciting for us. After our dinner on Saturday night however, we were very disappointed. We ordered the 7 dish tasting menu, there wasn't one dish that was memorable and we were still hungry when we left. Needless to say, I will not be visiting this restaurant ever again.Special Features:
- Lovely, lovely, lovelymacnycVIPDined on 6/11/2014We went to Mas (la grillade) to try the under $30 menu and we're very pleasantly surprised. The food choices were very interesting, and even tastier than they were interesting, the service was very friendly, and they were kind enough to make an exception due to food restrictions. The space is beautifully designed and decorated in an elegant fashion - we will certainly return to try some of the other menus at Mas (la grillade).Special Features:
- Everything was wonderfulfwlnycDined on 6/4/2014Kate took wonderful care of my wife and i as we were hosting my elderly parents, who thoroughly enjoyed every moment. Thank you for helping to create a memiry i will cherish for decades to comeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ExperienceJMTRVIPDined on 6/2/2014The food, service and ambiance were impeccable. A definite find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dining treatCarolDined on 6/1/2014Mas (le Grillad) is one of my favorite restaurants. Their menu changes with the seasons, ensuring that you eat food at its very best. The menu evolves with the seasons, so even if you go often, as I do, you are presented with different and tempting things to order. The wine list is wonderful and cannot say enough good things about the service.Special Features:
- lackluster executionHamptonDined on 5/31/2014We did the 7 course tasting. The food wasn't bad but nothing seemed inspired and everything seemed to be a little off on the seasoning. No real layers of flavor. Desert was actually the best thing. Service was slow and a little insincere although the hostess and bartender were great.
- reichersDined on 5/31/2014The food, when it came, was very good but the menu is really over-complicated and fussy and the portions are small, plus it was very expensive for what it was - $38 for a small bowl of gnocchi (supposed to be an entre but more like starter size). I would not recommend this restaurant.
- great service and excellent foodeatsoutVIPDined on 5/22/2014We had a reservation at 6:45 and this small restaurant was quiet (at that time), intimate, and had superb service. They were very accommodating with making changes on the set 4 or 7 course menus without surcharges; and there are also fine a la carte dishes. The chicken and duck were terrific and deserts were also very good. Only quibble is that, like a lot of NYC places these days, they come around with decanted sparkling water and you might not realize you are paying $12 a bottle for it... . If that bothers you, better ask. Wine selection is pricey but the selections are very good.Special Features:
- Memorable Fare, Attractive SettingMosaicaManDined on 5/15/2014The parentheses in the name are a bit off-putting, but the food (French-inspired but locavore) is simultaneously straightforward and sophisticated. Not to mention delicious. It's an attractive room, with an upstairs deck that was being used for a large party the night we were there -- and yet we were able to speak in normal conversational tones and didn't have to compete with their din. Service was friendly but professional. The duck breast may have been the best I've ever had, and the trout soup appetizer, pork presse second course and panna cotta for dessert were all extraordinary. It's not a cheap thrill (with a nice bottle of wine, dinner for two was $200+), but it certainly exceeded any reasonable expectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeekinggourmetalphaVIPDined on 5/10/2014Excellent and a real treat. Each ingredient is carefully chosen and prepared, from house smoked bacon to locally caught swordfish (by the way, all time best swordfish in NYC). Truly gourmet alpha.Special Features:
- ExceptionalOhayoVIPDined on 5/10/2014They do something unusual here that I've never seen before. For their prix fixe meals you have the opportunity to select any dishes on their menu. Mix and match as you see fit. It was a great experience, tasted great and served well. A fun evening.Special Features:
- DisappointingJamesVIPDined on 5/10/2014We generally choose tasting menus at restaurants around NYC, and we had previously eaten at Mas (farmhouse) and loved it. We chose Mas (la grillade) expecting a wonderful experience, chose the tasting menu, but found the food and presentation lackluster. Other than the dessert, none of the courses of the seven (7) course tasting were exceptional, although none were bad either. We did have a selection of wines, and found the recommendations from the server very enjoyable.Special Features: