39 Downing Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.masfarmhouse.com/
- Phone: 2122551790
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 6:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Galen Zamarra
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The private dining room at Mas (farmhouse) is set off the main dining room and can seat a maximum of 24 people. For additional privacy the private dining room can be closed so as to shield private dining guests from other customers.
- Private Party Contact: Adrienne Summa 2122551790
- Cross Street: Bedford Street and Varick Street
- Public Transit: The A, C, or E and B, D, F, and Q lines all stop at West 4th Street which is approximately three blocks from the restaurant. In addition, the 1 line stops at Houston Street and is one block from the restaurant.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: A private parking garage is located on Seventh Avenue South and Morton Street. The garage is a mere two blocks from the restaurant.
A word from Mas (farmhouse)
Elegant New-American cuisine using locally grown and sustainably raised foods cooked using modern French styles and honoring classic technique. The ever-changing menu is printed daily, tied with twine, and contains the finest ingredients sourced from small farmers and local fishermen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Mas (farmhouse) - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
Mas (farmhouse) reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (141)special occasion (136)romantic (119)neighborhood gem (79)notable wine list (72)good for groups (22)hot spot (15)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Mas FarmhouseBigManNateVIPDined on 8/29/2014did not quite live up to expectations. A number of the dishes were excellent (particularly the starters) but my wife had to return her salmon main course because it was too salty. Staff was very pleasant in general and handled the salmon "incident" well. Would go back, perhaps, but not rushing back......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true gemDineVIPDined on 8/29/2014Outstanding food served in a fun environment. The service is friendly and excellent and every request is seen as reasonable. Looking forward to our return.Special Features:
- FrenchOma2014Dined on 8/29/2014It was listed as French and I think it is more of a sustainable featured restaurant. I hated our seat location - right where the staff gathered, chattered, etc. And, I hated that the floors moved my seat when they passed by which was several times because we were where the kitchen was located.
- NCcaptain1Dined on 8/23/2014This was a great restaurant. The service was excellent as was the food. There are flexible tasting menus, but we ate a la carte. We had hackleback cavier, tuna w/crispy shallots--tuna slice very thin with shallots on top--very good and we enjoyed a smoked ricotta appetizer as well. For our main course we had fish--Fluke and sea bass, both excellently prepared. We really enjoyed our dinner here and would highly recommend this restaurant. Prices were also reasonable for the quality of the food..Special Features:
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Great dinner overall, just a bit over-rated in our opinion. Not sure the cost vs. food quality is there compared to so many amazing NYC restaurants when this was supposed to be one of the best places in the citySpecial Features:
- Lovely dinneratb20Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I came here for our anniversary. Lovely food. High end service. Food was really tasty. The gnocci were the highlight of my meal, but my corn soup with scallop was also amazing -- the scallop was cooked perfectly. My husband loved the 6-course tasting menu. Only minor complaint was the somewhat noisy group seated at the large table in the center of the room. The restaurant isn't very big, so it was a bit distracting.Special Features:
- Rustic chicOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014The ambience at Mas Farmhouse is warm, relaxed and inviting. As an interior designer I appreciated the subtle surface textures and lighting. Tables are arranged with adequate separation yet still cozy and intimate. Service was very attentive and friendly. The 4 course prix fixe menu is perhaps a tad extravagant for a non-occasion meal with friends, which we knew beforehand, but artfully prepared and presented, with the flexibility to substitute with options from the a la carte menu as well as omit or change specific components within each dish. Ingredients were sophisticated yet simple enough to please even those with a less adventurous palette. The entire dinner experience was very enjoyable, satisfying and memorable.Special Features:
- Splurge and EnjoyurbicoastalVIPDined on 8/20/2014fresh, very top end prepared. Good selections. PRICEY.... entrees have moved into the $45 territory 4 course (1 starter, 2 "half" (large) entrees, full selection off the dessert menu) is the way to go $88; a la carte wont save much unless you are eating light. VERY ACCOMODATING to dietary needs. It's small. Low ceilinged stylishly contemporary mid-century with wood (for Farmhouse effect). ORders thoughtfully taken; table hostess good. Amusingly, each course for our table of 4, the servers always off by one (eg wrong person got the first plate out). no big deal. We will go back. We had long business dinner very relaxedly. Some of the under 35 patrons are a bit loud. There is a semi-communal style table in one section.Special Features:
- Wonderful Mealfoodie75VIPDined on 8/20/2014The sommelier recommended a fantastic wine, and the food and service were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Really fresh.Ohara3sDined on 8/17/2014Not much variety but keep in mind it's farm to table not costco to table. Menu is somewhat limited but rafts because they take great care with individual food prep. You can taste the difference. Really good bread too. Sophisticated dining without being stuffy; I came wearing my chucks and it was totally appropriate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceDrewDined on 8/15/2014Hosted my mothers birthday dinner here and had a great time. Food was excellent and unique - the menu changes slightly each time I've been. The chef puts his own twist on each dish and you're also able to order specialty items upon request. Ambiance is great for either a date and larger gatherings. The desserts are fantastic. Never disappointed when I come here.Special Features:
- TeriVIPDined on 8/12/2014really delicious food you feel good about eating. happy attentive service. fun tasting menu. good cocktails.Special Features:
- good, but unevenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014Our experience at Mas was pleasant and we definitely enjoyed some of the unique dishes, but the experience was uneven. The summer squash and butter lettuce salad, gnocchi, roasted chicken breast with blueberry, and dark chocolate with caramel custard dessert were all outstanding: nicely seasoned, cooked and presented. The roasted LI duck was chewy, a nice sauce but it didn't seem cooked properly or it was cooked properly but was not a good choice of duck. Perhaps the regular chef was not in on a Sunday night? The wine list was not impressive other than price. The service was attentive, but not welcoming. The tap water we were served wasn't chilled, but close to room temperature. Some great food, but not everything felt in synch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dining Experience!JP2014VIPDined on 8/6/2014Great setting, great food! What a charming restaurant in a charming area of the West Village. Yellowtail is to die for; everything else is almost as good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobertVIPDined on 8/4/2014While the food was very good and the service exceptional, I felt that the entire dining experience was a bit overpriced.Special Features:
- everything was greatrawlr4Dined on 7/31/2014We recently went to Mas to celebrate my wife's birthday. The entire experience was first rate. We had the 4 course prix fixe menu. What was nice was that you were able to substitute anything from the regular menu into the prix fixe. Everything we ate was delicious. The service was outstanding---attentive without being overbearing. It ran like a well oiled machine. We sat in the back room. I would ask for a table there as the atmosphere there was nicer (especially for a party of 2). One thing that was somewhat surprising was that their bar menu was rather limited. My wife asked for a apple martini and they said they couldn't make that. However, that did not diminish the overall experience. We would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCandyman4042Dined on 7/30/2014This was my second trip to NYC and to Mas. Second time because the food was so good I had to go back and enjoy it again. I had the octopus as a first course and the gnocci for the second. The octopus was bland and unseasoned. The Gnocci which was the highlight the first time, were blobs of heavy potato, chewy, not light and fluffy as the previous time and they were unseasoned and tasteless. My pork dish did not look like or taste like the previous meal. This place is very expensive and should be able to replicate their signature selections consistently. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and try them one more time on my next trip. Everybody has a bad night every once in a while.
- ZmanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2014Did the 3 course tasting menu. 88 bucs, but it was seriously a great value considering we got 3 amazing entres and desert. Everything was amazing and the staff was fantastic.
- Excellent servicefoodieloverDined on 7/26/2014Food was beautifully presented and very good. They have no problem meeting any dietary needs one may have. The service staff, and there were many, was extremely friendly. They were there to please and they do.Special Features:
- Ok, but not greatPaulDined on 7/24/2014While the good was good and somewhat unique, the flavors were only so so.
- Very good nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/24/2014My first time at this restaurant the staff was friendly super attentive but still had a relaxed effortless feeling, the good was fresh, full of flavor perfectly cooked good mix of flavors, I am definitely going back and highly recommend it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals of my lifeNovelisteDined on 7/24/2014The chef prepares a tasting menu for $130--surprising you, but based on your own preferences (e.g., my friend doesn't like organ meats, so I got sweetbreads, she got pork belly; the people who sat at the neighboring table had a gluten- and dairy-free meal which they said was also delicious). The servings for the 6-course menu are just small enough that you don't feel overwhelmed or stuffed. The wine pairings are amazing. The whole experience made one of the five best meals of my life. Amazing food, lovely service, superb treat...Enjoy!Special Features:
- Romantic, Cozy & top-notch servicesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/22/2014A great place for special occasions! Everyone is awesome here and the menu is always fantastic! Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurant!TomcatVIPDined on 7/21/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at MAS. The service was immaculate, appetizers, entrees and deserts fantastic. The wine and cocktail list is comprehensive, MAS carries even Reisetbauer liquors! The ambience is modern and the noise at level where one can have a wonderful conversation with friends without yelling. One of the best places in NYC!Special Features:
- Fresh Ingredients!SandraVIPDined on 7/20/2014We had a very big table at the center of the restaurant. The martinis were crisp cold, as they should be! The squash salad was delicious and all the other appetizers were devoured and savored. The pork and the duck were very nicely done. We had a great time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocre at best needs attentionamarinoVIPDined on 7/20/2014Food was inconsistent and overpriced have eaten at many upscale restaurants in New York area your quality does not equal your prices. Look at your competition ie blue hill stone barnd
- Charming.johnnybgoodDined on 7/15/2014Not pretentious. Great fresh food. Friendly staff. Would definitely come here again.Special Features:
- MasAlfonso2Dined on 7/14/2014great food experience the Gnocchi was unbelieavable too much to say not enough space!! great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemTheodorVIPDined on 7/13/2014Wonderful unpretentious restaurant on a little dingy-looking street in Greenwich village. Excellent wine list, great food and service in a beautiful space with lovely decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and creativeNanaDined on 7/8/2014Very charming restaurant with inventive and delicious food. The salads and pork are really good. I was expecting a little bit more from the nhoque- the menu described it so deliciously i was expecting a bit more of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Service,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/6/2014The staff was lovely and super attentive. We enjoyed the 6 course tasting menu. My only issue was that they used spring peas in 3 of the dishes. The flavors were overwhelming and I will now forevermore associate spring peas with mas farmhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but question valueNYDinerVIPDined on 7/5/2014First time at MAS. First table they gave us was in the center shared table which was a bit awkward as it was a bit wide for good conversation, but they were very accommodating, & moved us to a preferred round table in the back room, but the room lacked ambiance. Our waitress was fantastic. She was extremely helpful with food choices and wine recommendations. Our main issue was with the value, not about the food quality. Had the four course prix-fixe menu, delicious and worth the price. More concerning, 99% of the wines on wine list were $200+ per bottle. It felt limiting as only one Burgundy was $100 all others were significantly more. Overall, an enjoyable experience, but would not recommend based on approx $200/pp price tag.Special Features:
- PerfectEllen326VIPDined on 7/5/2014The food is great and the four course custom option or the chef six course tasting menu are perfect as the dishes are unique and you will want to try as many as possible. The menu changes in accordance with the season, so variety is never an issue! And the service is second to none.Special Features:
- Great all-aroundAdamsORDVIPDined on 7/4/2014Excellent service and interesting dishes. Everyone was attentive and provided insight into each dish.Special Features:
- One of the Best Dining ExpierencesMagellan432Dined on 7/3/2014I took my girlfriend here for her birthday and tried the Tasting Menu. Every single dish was amazing. The Sommelier had great recommendations, and the whole staff was extremely nice and helpful. The price point is a little high for a daily visit, but it's worth every penny. I will be back and recommend Mas (farmhouse) to everyone who wants a delicious meal or a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantYodiVIPDined on 6/28/2014Our first time here although we have been staying in SoHo for years. It was a quick walk. The staff couldn't be nicer. The food was delicious and you can make your choices from the whole menu. Notable was the trout, gnocchi and creapinette.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2014The team of servers was perfection. From coordination of food courses and wine pairings the servers were without exception the best I have experienced.Special Features:
- Really memorable evening at MasrobsiiiVIPDined on 6/24/2014We found Mas through both a friend and its stellar Zagat review. In New York for a birthday celebration, we had a fantastic experience. Both the food and the wait staff were great. The service was impeccable without being overly fussy. We ordered the six course tasting menu for our group and the waiter was very accommodating with wine pairings. Mas will go on our every-trip-to-New-York list. And mercifully, no one tried to sing "Happy Birthday."Special Features:
- Worth the wait...LeylalovesparisDined on 6/23/2014My BFF lives in Downing and we pass the restaurant all the time. We keep saying we'll go in one night for a special occasion. Well I've just made a big transition at work and it was time to celebrate! Everything was divine and sumptuous. Our waiter was attentive without being overbearing and each and every staff member added to our enjoyment. The restaurant has a lovely vibe which quickly makes you feel welcomed and at home. I will be looking for something else to celebrate soon ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real findfascinatedVIPDined on 6/22/2014Great neighborhood, lovely staff, delicious food. We'll be back!Special Features: