39 Downing Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.masfarmhouse.com/
- Phone: (212) 255-1790
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 6:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Galen Zamarra
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The private dining room at Mas (farmhouse) is set off the main dining room and can seat a maximum of 24 people. For additional privacy the private dining room can be closed so as to shield private dining guests from other customers.
- Private Party Contact: Adrienne Summa 2122551790
- Cross Street: Bedford Street and Varick Street
- Public Transit: The A, C, or E and B, D, F, and Q lines all stop at West 4th Street which is approximately three blocks from the restaurant. In addition, the 1 line stops at Houston Street and is one block from the restaurant.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: A private parking garage is located on Seventh Avenue South and Morton Street. The garage is a mere two blocks from the restaurant.
A word from Mas (farmhouse)
Elegant New-American cuisine using locally grown and sustainably raised foods cooked using modern French styles and honoring classic technique. The ever-changing menu is printed daily, tied with twine, and contains the finest ingredients sourced from small farmers and local fishermen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mas (farmhouse) reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (126)special occasion (110)romantic (85)neighborhood gem (72)notable wine list (48)hot spot (20)good for groups (15)great for lunch (5)late-night find (5)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/25/2014Everything was amazing and the monkish was one of the best meals I have ever had. Service was kind and attentive, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't hesitate!JamesDined on 11/23/2014Delicious food, lovely atmosphere. A really enjoyable evening! The only slight negative is the extent to which tables are packed in, but otherwise couldn't ask for much more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014One of the finest meals I've ever had. The food was incredible and the wine parings were perfect. Even more wonderful was the friendly and professional service. The staff were all so personable and nice people! We had just a terrific time. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply TerrificFlashDined on 11/14/2014I can't think of how we could have enjoyed our meal at Mas (farmhouse) any more than we did. The food was exceptional, creative, excellently prepared and tasty. The prix fixe menu was tempting, but we decided on a la carte and found the appetizers (beef tenderloin tartare and tuna) and entrees (chicken and duck breast) outstanding. Dessert (a deconstructed dacquoise, almond sorbet) and cheese slection topped an excellent meal. The service was similarly exceptional; every individual on the staff was smiling. seemed to enjoy their job and was committed to making the experience memorable. Our server knew the menu and the wine list thoroughly, and helped us make the right choices. The manager came to us to explain a five minute wait for our table; I was blown away by such courtesy and concern for the customer, which is unfortunately not the rule in most restaurants. The staff made a special evening for us very memorable, and I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuisine needs workkjninamherstVIPDined on 11/11/2014In a tight loud space, Mas offers trendy cuisine which doesn't hit the mark. While using local sustainable ingredients, the flavor profiles end up being boring without any memorable notes. Even dessert was just a gooey mess, The hazelnut dacquoise seemed like the recipe was off a condensed milk can. The service was professional, but the din did not create a romantic nor special environment.
- Want mas (more) of Mas (farmhouse)HungryJacquiVIPDined on 11/11/2014For lazy foodies like us, the off menu/chef's tasting menu was a must. We sat down, answered a few questions about likes/dislikes/allergies and shortly thereafter were on the express train to custom dinner town. We got the wine pairings to go with it, because why not? Each course surpassed the last and was a wandering journey from shrimp to scallops to sweet breads to lamb chops and everything in between. Would that I were still there right now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated and not worth the hypeNotReturningVIPDined on 11/10/2014I was very excited to eat here, especially with the abundance of positive reviews. Overall, it didn't live up to the hype. The food was good, but not fantastic and took a long time to come. The service was snobby and fairly unwelcoming. I won't be returning.Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014Loved the food. Dishes are thoughtfully put together. They offer a 4 course or 6 course prix fixe menu, but allow a lot of flexibility for you to choose what you want from across the menu. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must have been an off nightEatnTweetDined on 11/6/2014This was a return trip for quiet dinner for two. We were tucked away in the corner on a Thursday night. The menu is still innovative but didn't express the seasonal flavors I expected. My food potato gnocchi was relatively bland and my tuna starter was way too large a portion that seemed to flounder on the plate --can't imagine having ever struggled to finish an appetizer. Atmosphere lacked with loud tables near us and the service wasn't top as it's been in the past. No offer for black pepper, slow water service for us but not others, and heard staff talk about who set our table wrong. Odd experience since we know Mas is a great place.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014I am not one to write reviews but Mas was one of the better meals i have had in NYC and i eat out A LOT! every course was perfectly prepared and the taste was incredible. Its not a cheap dining experience but its well worth it! I would eat anywhere Mas's chef is cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent...best in NYCSouthernGirlinNYCDined on 11/2/2014Brilliant food, drinks and service. Will definitely be going back!!!Special Features:
- Another great visitnnovikVIPDined on 11/2/2014Our second visit and we did the chef's menu this time, and had another standout meal. The beet salad with warm duck and goat cheese mousse was flat-out amazing. Also had lovely pork loin with butternut squash risotto, where the loin seemed a bit undersalted until you had a bite of the two together and the flavors just melded perfectly, and a beautifully cooked lamb with potato-horseradish puree. Halibut also great. The "palate cleanser" of creme fraiche ice cream and strawberry granita was actually a highlight for me, and then they gave each of us a different dessert to finish. I second the rec for the vanilla old-fashioned, and my husband had a mocktail of lime, elderflower, and ginger that was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but hurried servicetastyVIPDined on 11/1/2014Dodo was excellent as well as the ambiance. However, service was hurried. The dinner was very quick. I think they perhaps have too many servers and they all need something to do.Special Features:
- Incredible Dining ExperiencethegigglerVIPDined on 10/31/2014Service was the best when comparing every restaurant we dined at from Sunday thru Friday night. The only restaurant that checked our coats upon arrival vetsus having to drape our coats on te back of the chair. Wine list is very expensive but for $150 we found an incredible Red. I had the 4 course ( alot) of food. Wife ordered entree only. The Tuna app. was great and large. We split this. The entrees were very delicious. We had the Halibut(5star), Wild Salmon(3.5 star) and Duck (5star). We shared these. The flavors of every dish was complex and tasty. The setting is Romantic. We had a 10pm setting and were not rushed at all to finish/leave. This was our favorite meal of the week. I wish someone would replicate this restaurant in New Orleans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JasonVIPDined on 10/31/2014Amazing tasting menu with wine paring -- perfect for any special occasion.Special Features:
- Great food! Great atmosphere!ABC0807VIPDined on 10/28/2014Amazing food, atmosphere, and service!!! Have been wanting to try Mas and was worth the wait. Some of the best food we have had a by far the best and most helpful service ever!!!! They make it so easy to enjoy every bit of the experience. We can't wait to come back again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buyer bewarePlongee13Dined on 10/27/2014Second time there. Hosted 4 person birthday celebration, including two bottles of wine. At end we asked for glasses of wine. Waiter selected and when Bill was presented, we had been charged $18-25 per glass. Could have purchased another bottle for the price! When I questioned the manager, he was embarrassingly brutish and hostile in demeanor.
- YUM!CindyFoodiesVIPDined on 10/22/2014We loved visiting Mas. The food was delicious and the service was awesome. I am pregnant and wanted a fun drink and the bartender didn't hesitate to shake up something fun and tasty! We love the farm to table concept and highly recommend the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/20/2014The food was wonderful, but the staff was exceptional in explaining our choices and in their willingness to let us construct whatever combination of food we wished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mas Never DisappointsmuffinbakerVIPDined on 10/20/2014Coming in from out of town, we always go to Mas for dinner. Dinner and service were superb with an excellent choice of wines. The Old Fashion cocktail with crushed vanilla beans is a must. Mas never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each course left you wanting more!TruffleGalDined on 10/19/2014We loved our dining experience at MAS Farmhouse. Each course was beautiful and left you wanting more. Service was impeccable. I can't wait to fine there again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisitely choreographedBZBlueskyDined on 10/19/2014Every aspect has been carefully thought through, the staff worked like dancers together, the theme was our dining pleasure and the food was beautiful, creative and not overly complex, great care went into its construction & the balance of combinations. All was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mas Fish & FarmctltribecaVIPDined on 10/18/2014Farmhouse is a bit deceiving as there are quite a lot of non-farm dishes. Thoughtful preparation, high pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely fresh & high quality foodKkennedyDined on 10/17/2014Pricey but quality and delicious farm fresh food. I was pleasently surprised by the tasting menu which allowed us to try 2 apps, 2 desserts and 4 different entrees. I would go for a special occasion as the prices are very high but so worth it when it comes to tastes and unique pairings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealLove2eatDined on 10/17/2014The food was very good. We had the 6 course tasting menu. Some dishes were outstanding such as the mushroom soup finished with truffle oil and the pork belly, yum! Others were good, but not outstanding. Service was excellent. The server even took my phone to take pictures of the wines for the wine pairing , in the order they were brought out! Would highly recommend for a lovely night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!PaulVIPDined on 10/15/2014This place is special. The service & food truly could not have been better. If you are celebrating a special occasion or simply want to have a fantastic meal and great wine, do not hesitate, get here! The venue has a cool vibe and is very welcoming. Great design. Our cocktails were spot on and delicious. The wine selection was great and not overwhelming in the least. We went with the 4 course tasting menu and the great advantage is you can basically map your own menu. They offer suggestions but you can choose whatever you'd like from appetizers, entrees, etc. From beginning to end not a weak link. The corn soup with roasted scallop, beet salad, monkfish, fluke, pork confit and gnocchi were delicious! Truly a WOW restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!JamwhtDined on 10/15/2014Best service in NYC. Attention to detail from the minute we arrived. I recommend the 6-course menu to get the full experience. Wine list is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- curlygirlVIPDined on 10/7/2014Great restaurant - food was fantastic as was service and great ambiance - couldn't ask for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for kidsLvzdrmVIPDined on 10/5/2014This is a wonderful little restaurant with excellent food and a quiet setting. It is not a place to bring kids. We had a table next to us that had their toddler. It was very distracting. The toddler was screaming and running around the restaurant. Please get a sitter. People are paying a lot of money to eat there. A child distracts from the quality of the food, service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place, wonderful mealdiner4everVIPDined on 10/3/2014Such a wonderful restaurant! The space is inviting, the menu is approachable and offers enough choices to make everyone happy. No rules about eveyone needing to choose the tasting menu to have it which is great. I had the four course menu and my husband and sons, the six course and it was seemless. The sommelier was outstanding. She really know her list and we appreciated her down to earth descriptions. I look forward to going back there for another great dining experience!Special Features:
- DeliciousAndyVIPDined on 10/3/2014Tasting menu is a plus. Wine choice are fantastic. Food is so delicious. Leave ample time to relax and enjoy a great meal. Never rushedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/29/2014Food ok, wine incredibly overpriced, little offering of local (US) wines.Special Features:
- Over pricedPlgddsVIPDined on 9/27/2014While the atmosphere is upscale. The food is overpriced and mediocre. My wife had two chicken breasts for 44 dollars. Really hiw much does chicken cost.Special Features:
- Never Fails To DeliverLprillVIPDined on 9/27/2014Have been dining at Mas since it opened and every visit is wonderful. It is so consistent in all aspects and because of its reliability we have made it our go to when entertaining out of town guests! Galen and his staff never fail to deliver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looked a bit better on paperNYBOSFoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014I had been meaning to go here for some time and made a reservation weeks in advance for my wife's birthday. The room is really nice but a few more inches between the tables or a bit more noise could make having an intimate conversation actually possible. We did have a great couple next to us and had a very good time but the meal was good, not great, but could be we were there on an off night, in the middle of harvest time. Hearts of palm salad was indescribable so I won't try. Not good, not bad, not anything. Chicken was really good - kind of what I would expect at a good farm to table but not memorable. Monkfish was tough but the rest of the dish was really tasty. Maybe try again but have to follow the reviews. Very friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014Cool restaurant but... we had a reservation and were seated late which was fine until a couple that came in later were seated before us. Also, the food is very good but not good enough to match the high price point. Bottom line, it's good but there are better places for the price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mas .. Is Something Different?ase1707VIPDined on 9/23/2014My wife and I enjoyed dinner here the other evening and we both felt that the restaurant was not as good as it used to be. Don't get me wrong, the dinner was very good, the service was very good and the ambiance was excellent. But the "wow factor" seemed to be missing. Perhaps it was the menu, that did not include many of our favorite dishes that used to be there. This is a very good restaurant, but it used to be our favorite spot in the Village.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChowhoundDined on 9/22/2014Overall we enjoyed the restaurant. The menu is a bit confusing but our server explained how to navigate it very well& was very accommodating. The food is good ...with some dishes more successful than others. We also found the restaurant quite expensiveSpecial Features:
- Penny1Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent value for pre-fix 4 course menu and also chef's menu. Very flexible with preferences.Special Features:
- MWSGDined on 9/18/2014Absolutely love Mas except its far too noisy. Needs acoustic remediation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.