39 Downing Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.masfarmhouse.com/
- Phone: 2122551790
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 6:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Galen Zamarra
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The private dining room at Mas (farmhouse) is set off the main dining room and can seat a maximum of 24 people. For additional privacy the private dining room can be closed so as to shield private dining guests from other customers.
- Private Party Contact: Adrienne Summa 2122551790
- Cross Street: Bedford Street and Varick Street
- Public Transit: The A, C, or E and B, D, F, and Q lines all stop at West 4th Street which is approximately three blocks from the restaurant. In addition, the 1 line stops at Houston Street and is one block from the restaurant.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: A private parking garage is located on Seventh Avenue South and Morton Street. The garage is a mere two blocks from the restaurant.
A word from Mas (farmhouse)
Elegant New-American cuisine using locally grown and sustainably raised foods cooked using modern French styles and honoring classic technique. The ever-changing menu is printed daily, tied with twine, and contains the finest ingredients sourced from small farmers and local fishermen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mas (farmhouse) reviews from OpenTable diners
168 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (132)special occasion (121)romantic (93)neighborhood gem (73)notable wine list (55)hot spot (19)good for groups (16)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great food! Great atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/28/2014Amazing food, atmosphere, and service!!! Have been wanting to try Mas and was worth the wait. Some of the best food we have had a by far the best and most helpful service ever!!!! They make it so easy to enjoy every bit of the experience. We can't wait to come back again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buyer bewareOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/27/2014Second time there. Hosted 4 person birthday celebration, including two bottles of wine. At end we asked for glasses of wine. Waiter selected and when Bill was presented, we had been charged $18-25 per glass. Could have purchased another bottle for the price! When I questioned the manager, he was embarrassingly brutish and hostile in demeanor.
- YUM!CindyFoodiesVIPDined on 10/22/2014We loved visiting Mas. The food was delicious and the service was awesome. I am pregnant and wanted a fun drink and the bartender didn't hesitate to shake up something fun and tasty! We love the farm to table concept and highly recommend the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/20/2014The food was wonderful, but the staff was exceptional in explaining our choices and in their willingness to let us construct whatever combination of food we wished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mas Never DisappointsmuffinbakerVIPDined on 10/20/2014Coming in from out of town, we always go to Mas for dinner. Dinner and service were superb with an excellent choice of wines. The Old Fashion cocktail with crushed vanilla beans is a must. Mas never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each course left you wanting more!TruffleGalDined on 10/19/2014We loved our dining experience at MAS Farmhouse. Each course was beautiful and left you wanting more. Service was impeccable. I can't wait to fine there again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisitely choreographedBZBlueskyDined on 10/19/2014Every aspect has been carefully thought through, the staff worked like dancers together, the theme was our dining pleasure and the food was beautiful, creative and not overly complex, great care went into its construction & the balance of combinations. All was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mas Fish & FarmctltribecaVIPDined on 10/18/2014Farmhouse is a bit deceiving as there are quite a lot of non-farm dishes. Thoughtful preparation, high pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely fresh & high quality foodKkennedyDined on 10/17/2014Pricey but quality and delicious farm fresh food. I was pleasently surprised by the tasting menu which allowed us to try 2 apps, 2 desserts and 4 different entrees. I would go for a special occasion as the prices are very high but so worth it when it comes to tastes and unique pairings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealLove2eatDined on 10/17/2014The food was very good. We had the 6 course tasting menu. Some dishes were outstanding such as the mushroom soup finished with truffle oil and the pork belly, yum! Others were good, but not outstanding. Service was excellent. The server even took my phone to take pictures of the wines for the wine pairing , in the order they were brought out! Would highly recommend for a lovely night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!PaulVIPDined on 10/15/2014This place is special. The service & food truly could not have been better. If you are celebrating a special occasion or simply want to have a fantastic meal and great wine, do not hesitate, get here! The venue has a cool vibe and is very welcoming. Great design. Our cocktails were spot on and delicious. The wine selection was great and not overwhelming in the least. We went with the 4 course tasting menu and the great advantage is you can basically map your own menu. They offer suggestions but you can choose whatever you'd like from appetizers, entrees, etc. From beginning to end not a weak link. The corn soup with roasted scallop, beet salad, monkfish, fluke, pork confit and gnocchi were delicious! Truly a WOW restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!JamwhtDined on 10/15/2014Best service in NYC. Attention to detail from the minute we arrived. I recommend the 6-course menu to get the full experience. Wine list is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- curlygirlVIPDined on 10/7/2014Great restaurant - food was fantastic as was service and great ambiance - couldn't ask for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for kidsLvzdrmVIPDined on 10/5/2014This is a wonderful little restaurant with excellent food and a quiet setting. It is not a place to bring kids. We had a table next to us that had their toddler. It was very distracting. The toddler was screaming and running around the restaurant. Please get a sitter. People are paying a lot of money to eat there. A child distracts from the quality of the food, service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place, wonderful mealdiner4everVIPDined on 10/3/2014Such a wonderful restaurant! The space is inviting, the menu is approachable and offers enough choices to make everyone happy. No rules about eveyone needing to choose the tasting menu to have it which is great. I had the four course menu and my husband and sons, the six course and it was seemless. The sommelier was outstanding. She really know her list and we appreciated her down to earth descriptions. I look forward to going back there for another great dining experience!Special Features:
- DeliciousAndyVIPDined on 10/3/2014Tasting menu is a plus. Wine choice are fantastic. Food is so delicious. Leave ample time to relax and enjoy a great meal. Never rushedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/29/2014Food ok, wine incredibly overpriced, little offering of local (US) wines.Special Features:
- Over pricedPlgddsVIPDined on 9/27/2014While the atmosphere is upscale. The food is overpriced and mediocre. My wife had two chicken breasts for 44 dollars. Really hiw much does chicken cost.Special Features:
- Never Fails To DeliverLprillVIPDined on 9/27/2014Have been dining at Mas since it opened and every visit is wonderful. It is so consistent in all aspects and because of its reliability we have made it our go to when entertaining out of town guests! Galen and his staff never fail to deliver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looked a bit better on paperNYBOSFoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014I had been meaning to go here for some time and made a reservation weeks in advance for my wife's birthday. The room is really nice but a few more inches between the tables or a bit more noise could make having an intimate conversation actually possible. We did have a great couple next to us and had a very good time but the meal was good, not great, but could be we were there on an off night, in the middle of harvest time. Hearts of palm salad was indescribable so I won't try. Not good, not bad, not anything. Chicken was really good - kind of what I would expect at a good farm to table but not memorable. Monkfish was tough but the rest of the dish was really tasty. Maybe try again but have to follow the reviews. Very friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014Cool restaurant but... we had a reservation and were seated late which was fine until a couple that came in later were seated before us. Also, the food is very good but not good enough to match the high price point. Bottom line, it's good but there are better places for the price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mas .. Is Something Different?ase1707VIPDined on 9/23/2014My wife and I enjoyed dinner here the other evening and we both felt that the restaurant was not as good as it used to be. Don't get me wrong, the dinner was very good, the service was very good and the ambiance was excellent. But the "wow factor" seemed to be missing. Perhaps it was the menu, that did not include many of our favorite dishes that used to be there. This is a very good restaurant, but it used to be our favorite spot in the Village.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChowhoundDined on 9/22/2014Overall we enjoyed the restaurant. The menu is a bit confusing but our server explained how to navigate it very well& was very accommodating. The food is good ...with some dishes more successful than others. We also found the restaurant quite expensiveSpecial Features:
- Penny1Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent value for pre-fix 4 course menu and also chef's menu. Very flexible with preferences.Special Features:
- MWSGDined on 9/18/2014Absolutely love Mas except its far too noisy. Needs acoustic remediation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC top ten pickMensaLiteDined on 9/15/2014As good a meal as I've had in New York. Food preparation was flawless,portions we're perfect, presentation delightful, service relaxed but competent and attentive. We felt like the most important customers in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Relaxing nite outPerfectdineDined on 9/11/2014This is a lovely friendly restaurant without any airs but lots of class and style. We we visiting from Australia so had no idea of the food before and we both rated it the best meal we'd had in the last 2 weeks. Staff great very helpful with choices of food and wine. Also the way the menu is organised it allows for huge flexibility in choosing a set menu or a la carte or some where in between .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!CanEatDined on 9/10/2014Special place for our anniversary dinner. Fabulous food, service was perfect, a very reasonable 1990s Bordeaux on the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a romantic dinnerei8htohmsDined on 9/10/2014The food here is exceptional and the ambiance is very intimate and luxurious. Highly recommended for a special occasion with your sweetie.Special Features:
- A very special placeCarolDined on 9/10/2014Mas (Farmhouse) is a very special place. The food is excellent. The service is attentive and welcoming. The menu changes with the season and, in addition to whatever you order, you also receive several amuse bouche to delight you. I have dined here many times and have always enjoyed the cusisine and the service. The wine list is also commendable, including the wines by the glass. It is also a very comfortable place to dine alone.Special Features:
- Spectacular. Just spectacular.SoBeJeffVIPDined on 9/7/2014Mas (farmhouse) exceeded our expectations in every way - and we expected a lot after reading prior diners' reviews. We got the chef's tasting menu and were absolutely wowed by each and every one of the 6+ items. Imaginative, fresh, delicious. Just wonderful. But it's not just about the food - everyone we encountered was knowledgable, warm, and friendly. From the guy tending the small front bar in the entry way (who shared a Long Island rosé we had never heard of) to our multiple servers (they work in teams), who carefully explained what we were eating and fielded questions. Importantly, this place does a wonderful job with food but without being snobby in ANY way. We laughed with the staff and fellow diners frequently. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!Special Features:
- Slow serving of mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Service was "fine", but the speed in which the courses came out of the kitchen was woefully slow. Dinner was 2 hours and 2 min. As we went to leave, they couldn't provide the bill as their computer was down, so they had to take the credit card number and bill later and email it.Special Features:
- Go!ChicNewYorkVIPDined on 9/3/2014Best NYC dining experience I've had in years. I took a special friend to thank him for standing by me. We enjoyed the six course tasting menu. All courses were unique, elegant and tasty. My favorite moment was watching my friend close his eyes and let a bite of one of the fish dishes melt in his mouth. Pick someone really special in your life and make a reservation!Special Features:
- Lively EveningYesmasDined on 8/31/2014Great food and wine. Wonderful service. Lovely atmosphere. We enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dining experienceTavrofanVIPDined on 8/31/2014We had our anniversary dinner here. Place was simple but beautiful. Eveything we had was delicious but little bit salty (but tasty salty). I usually don't like salty food but I enjoyed bit of salt at Mas. Almond crusted sea bass was delicious. Portion is pretty generous. Their service was little dry (if you want to hear a lot more about the food) or perfect (if you just want your food). Overall, Mas had polite staff, tasty food and great ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mind blowingcrazyvegan8Dined on 8/30/2014This goes into the books as one of the top 3 best meals of my life. My boyfriend and I were celebrating his birthday and chose the chefs tasting menu. It was pricey (with tip almost $400 for the two of is with 1 drink each) but life changing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surpassed expectationsleansterVIPDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant surpassed our expectations. The food was fabulous, the flavors were amazing and the service was excellent. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Mas FarmhouseBigManNateVIPDined on 8/29/2014did not quite live up to expectations. A number of the dishes were excellent (particularly the starters) but my wife had to return her salmon main course because it was too salty. Staff was very pleasant in general and handled the salmon "incident" well. Would go back, perhaps, but not rushing back......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true gemDineVIPDined on 8/29/2014Outstanding food served in a fun environment. The service is friendly and excellent and every request is seen as reasonable. Looking forward to our return.Special Features:
- FrenchOma2014Dined on 8/29/2014It was listed as French and I think it is more of a sustainable featured restaurant. I hated our seat location - right where the staff gathered, chattered, etc. And, I hated that the floors moved my seat when they passed by which was several times because we were where the kitchen was located.