Marzano on Park
4214 Park Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94602Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Marzano on Park
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.marzanorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 510-531-4500
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Robert Holt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Like the small family-owned trattorias of Italy, Marzano is simple, rustic, and generous in spirit. Executive Chef, Robert Holt, draws his inspiration from Southern Italy, an emphasis on wood-fired Neopolitan pizza. Marzano is a San Francisco Top 100 Restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Manna Tekie 5105314500
- Special Events: Meatball Mondays! Three Course Prix-fixe Dinner for $16.95.
1st Course: Seasonal Chopped Salad with Pecorino Sardo and Dijon/Chive Dressing
2nd Course: Spaghetti with Meatballs, Marinara Alla Casa, Grated Grana Padano, Garlic Bread.
3rd Course: Choice of Straus Soft Serve Ice Cream with Your Choice of Hot Fudge, Caramel, Toasted Almonds or Toasted Hazelnuts.
SUCKLING PIG TUESDAYS! Three Course Prix-fixe Dinner for $19.95
1st Course: Duo of Crostini, House Pulled Mozzarella with White Corn Salsa/Gypsy Pepper Pepperonata with Sweet Marjoram, Served with Wild Arugula Salad with Pecorino Romano and Lemon Vinaigrette
2nd Course: Wood Oven Roasted Suckling Pig, Umbrian Farro with Roasted Kabocha Pumpkin and Toasted Hazelnuts, Braised Tuscan Kale, Crispy Crackling.
3rd Course: Granny Smith Apple and Huckleberry Crisp with Straus Vanilla Soft Serve Ice Cream and Caramel
A word from Marzano on Park
Just like the small family-owned trattorias of Italy, Marzano (a San Francisco Chronicle Top 100 Restaurant) is simple, rustic, and generous in spirit. Executive Chef, Robert Holt, draws his inspiration from Southern-Italy, with an emphasis on wood-fired Neapolitan pizza.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marzano on Park reviews from OpenTable diners
- CLOSED!LeenyDined on 5/31/2014This was a wonderful neighborhood restaurant with great food and service. I'm so sad the owners have sold it to people who plan to turn it into a British-style gastro pub serving things like mushy peas and shepeherd's pie. The place has a fantastic pizza oven, for heaven's sake. This was a very successful restaurant, as is. The new owners should keep it, as is.Special Features:
- Sorry to see it endPlateheadVIPDined on 5/29/2014One of our favorite restaurants of all time . The food and service was stellar , it was our go to place and we will miss it terribly ! Doubt that there will ever be a place like that again ! Absolutely loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite but it is closingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/29/2014Marzano has been a neighborhood favorite for years. The food has been consistently excellent, and the staff welcoming. It's sad that they are closing at the end of May.Special Features:
- Dirge for a treasureoldokldfoodieVIPDined on 5/23/2014Sad beyond belief that this neighborhood treasure is closing at the end of the month. It is our go-to restaurant for any occasion, and a gastro pub will never replace it.Special Features:
- ClosingBaysDined on 5/15/2014Too bad that Marzanos will close at the end of the month. I felt we were rushed to complete our meal and dessert by the bus service who kept coming by asking if were were done despite half of the food on our plates, dinner and dessert.Special Features:
- Arrivederci!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/13/2014Good service, terrific pizzas, interesting wine list. Sorry to see the restaurant is closing in two weeks. Get there while you can.Special Features:
- Excellent food but they're closingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/6/2014The food is excellent as always. Unfortunately they're closing middle of May. In its place will be a gastropub. SighI would recommend this to a friend.
- MferVIPDined on 5/4/2014Margherita pizza is the best. So simple but delicious. Have to have the octopus every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EateryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014...too bad it is closing at the end of May. This was a new find to me, interesting bar selection, great food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodPerfectDined on 4/19/2014Food was excellent. Service was great. Ambience was underwhelming. Our corner was exceptionally dark. I would eat there often if i lived in the heighborhood but would not think of returning because i live elsewhere, with a similar good food--underwhelming ambience venue.Special Features:
- Good...butwado13VIPDined on 4/17/2014Food and service are excellent, but the price for a pizza is a bit high and that's one of their main dishes. But for an occasion it's worth it if pizza is your choice.Special Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/1/2014Good food, nice scenery. Intimate size but not to cramped. Prices are fair. Wine is good. Service was very pleasant. Nice area of Oakland! Can't say anything negative about our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2014Indifferent and inconsistent service. Initially, woman server asked for our order then said she was going off shift. Did not send replacement server to take our order. Pasta was under-seasoned and plain.
- A low key treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2014Quaint, cozy, soft lighting, very pleasant staff and atmosphere, nice menu and tasty food at reasonable prices. For us it was a nice low key way to have an anniversary dinner for two and we were not disappointed! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We found food somewhat hitsmittyDined on 3/13/2014We found food somewhat hit or miss this time. Have been several times and it was always excellent, so will have to try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Octopus a must. Had pastaMferVIPDined on 3/10/2014Octopus a must. Had pasta not pizza this time. Glad we did even tho the pizzas are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We picked the place for aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/27/2014We picked the place for a random dinner. We ordered Grilled Octopus appetizer, there are only few of the Octopus, but most are Olives and Potatoes. The dish is very salty for the appetite. I ordered a Cod for my main dish. It was also very salty. The Cod was dry compared to other restaurants. Overall, it was not the good dinner for us.Special Features:
- Dining ExperienceSEthDined on 2/25/2014Overall the food is good and being that it is in our neighborhood not hard to get to, but I feel the pricing exceeds the quality of the food. The cost is more similar to a date night not a neighborhood spot. Considering that fare consists of pizza and other items I think Marzanos is over rate. More than likely won't be going back any time soon.Special Features:
- Mediocre at best and noisyJoyskiVIPDined on 2/24/2014Consult the uninspired Italian menu and order another plate of pasta or chicken, just like you've had at every other mediocre Italian restuarant. Confused host seemed uninterested in seating us, even with a reservation. The arugula salad would feed a table of four, yet was leathery. The microwaved rigatoni stayed too hot and was tough. Horrible music playing loudly. Tables too close together for any private conversation.
- Not specialrubyDined on 2/19/2014Four of us - orders: pork chop (tough), pizza (nothing extrordinary and not hot), Brrodetto - expensive, small and too many tomatoes - difficult to discern what I was eating and it didn't have enough seafood. I happen to enjoy tomatoes, but believe me if a person ordered this dish and were not partial to tomatoes, it would be sent back. Asked for bread - was toldi it would have to be pizza dough, I said ok and it never came. Won't be returning.
- ehh not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Service here was great. The place looked beautiful on the inside, great ambiance. But theres a reason they havent been a top 100 since 2009, the food is mehh. We stated with crab bisque and the octopus, the crab bisque wasnliterally unseasoned crab stock with maybe 1/2 oz of crab cmon now! nope! The octopus eww chewy like bubble gum and too much calabrian chili the heat killed my pallet it was very unbalanced in flavors. Next up bianca pizza which came out cold and literally a full salad of arugula on top, i only had one slice, dough had no flavor mozz wasnt salted it was chewy just not good and it camebout after what looks like it sitting for 5 minutes. Short ribs were the only good thing ish. No bueno.
- great neighborhood joint withboomerDined on 2/2/2014great neighborhood joint with terrific pizza and toothsome entres.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood spotHillfolksDined on 1/25/2014We had been a few times before their expansion and the new room is well done and quieter than the original room which has the bar. We shared the soup, ragu pasta and kale rustica pizza all were very good, the beet-grapefruit-arugala salad not so much. Note, their thin crust woodfired pizza is done right, cooked perfectly every time we've been there, not undercooked like some other places that don't seem to get this like Pizzaiolo/Boot&Shoe and yes even A16. But we find both the food and wine menu a bit limited compared to other places. With the East Bay Urban wine scene blossoming they could expand the list and offer some locally made Italian varietals that would compliment their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealJanButlerVIPDined on 1/23/2014We went to Marzano's during Oakland Restaurant Week. We all ordered the special three course meal. One choice for your main was a full size pizza. It was kale pesto, pine nuts, cheese - this would not have been my first choice but I was pleasantly surprised - it was delicious! Great meal, great bargin price ($20 per person). We love this place and will again be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMiracleDined on 1/23/2014For a restaurant week dinner, our food at Marzano was very disappointing. Rather than the braised oxtail pappardelle they had advertised, the main dish was braised beef brisket which came too cold to par-cook the raw egg yolk on top. We sent it back, but the second one arrived the same. The first course salad was heavy on the dressing and did not have the ricotta salata mentioned on the menu. Service was rushed and the waitress could not explain the wine selection "baby amarrone." Doubt if we will return.Special Features:
- Great VAlueundercoverRDDined on 1/22/2014The restaurant week 20$ special was great! Arancini or beet salad: both quite tastey, oxtail pasta or delicious kale/kalamata/cheese/pine nut/bell pepper thincrust pizza w/ excellent crust and evenly baked, and mini budino dessert, in a warm, woody-modern interior was a purely enjoyable steal!! Went with a friend and shared the antipastia and mains: so got to enjoy both options but kept mini budinos to ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NY! NY!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/20/2014Excellent food and service as always. Brought my picky NY friends and they loved the pizza -- a true test!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummylicious!JWoWootyWootDined on 1/19/2014Great italian food...just how pasta should be. Brisket papardelle...yeah...worth it, even though this was a substitution for the oxtail papardelle which they ran out of...I was not disappointed in the least. The pizza here is also amazing, they imported the oven from italy...right??? pizza has a nice thin crispy crust!!! the service is really friendly too! :)Special Features:
- nothing wrong, just no wowsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/18/2014And that pretty much sums it up. We got a salad, which was a very nice sized portion, a starter, a pasta, a pizza, and a couple of desserts. Actually, the vanilla soft serve with balsamic and salt was pretty good, if you like that kind of thing.
- Always good quality, consistentlyScooterVIPDined on 1/14/2014Always good quality, consistently good service, and nice atmosphere. Love the pizzas and salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant is relativelyNsparroweDined on 12/31/2013The restaurant is relatively small and the menu is not extensive, but everything we ordered was beautifully presented and perfectly seasoned. Great polenta, interesting savory bread pudding serviced with the pork chop, which was tender and moist. It is a lovely warm place to spend an evening. Next time I will try the pizza, which look wonderful and is baked in a wood burning brick oven. I would also like to get a table in the new dining room which I understand has a fireplace. Great friendly service - very much a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- excellent food and service-GardenerlolaDined on 12/16/2013We celebrated a special occasion and had a great meal/time ESPECIALLY the waitress. I loved her, could have been eating at my best friends home for all the attention we got. In fact all the wait staff that night, Dec 16th were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealACKCDined on 12/16/2013We had a great birthday meal here with the family. The food and service were excellent. Love this place every time we come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating out w/friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013While we live nearby & frequent it we took visiting friends &the you always hope it's good. They loved it & thought all we had was to die for! Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always wonderfulmissoaklandDined on 12/7/2013great food great service great ambiance really love it.Special Features:
- Great anytimevinceDined on 12/6/2013It's was our third time at marzano and it was great. food is always consistent and very good. We ll always go back without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local bistro let me downNeighborDined on 12/6/2013Noisy and crowded, a previous loyal customer, salad was too salty and pizza was also too much red pepper. I thought it must be a mistake. Too many people stuffed into a small space, a private party in the back room, efforts of the staff to be polite. My friends from out of town were with us right after opening. I don't know how to make it better but I won't return with all that chaos. Obviously too much for the staff who is otherwise wonderful. Mixed review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighbhorhood RestaurantHappyDinerVIPDined on 11/24/2013The food and service are really good at this place. Their pizzas are awesome. Definitely a must do place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta dish was excellent andMferVIPDined on 11/21/2013Pasta dish was excellent and the pizza as always perfect Glad this place is close to HomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We come here as it is oneoutforfoodVIPDined on 11/21/2013We come here as it is one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants. Food is always consistent and pizza is great, we like it more than the softer, less chewy ones at boot and shoe.Special Features: