Marx Bros Cafe
627 W Third Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99501Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Marx Bros Cafe
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://marxcafe.com/
- Phone: (907) 278-2133
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jack Amon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room for parties of 10-12. The restaurant can be booked for private parties up to 40 people.
- Private Party Contact: Van Hale 907-278-2133
A word from Marx Bros Cafe
Located in one of the oldest homes in Anchorage, The Marx Bros. Café specializes in innovative contemporary cuisine featuring fresh Alaskan seafood and only the finest quality meats. Our chef revises the menu each night to reflect unique ingredients and imaginative preparations. Our cuisine is expertly paired with an extensive selection of wines housed in one of Alaska's largest cellars. Welcomed at the door by partner Van Hale, guests are at once immersed in a quaintly elegant atmosphere provided by our original town-site house and tasteful table settings. The evening is guided with unrivaled service by our subtle, accomplished staff. With only 14 tables in our house, we serve an average of 60 guests each night. Reservations are highly recommended. Please contact the restaurant directly if you are unable to get the time or party size requested online.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Marx Bros Cafe - Best Restaurants in Anchorage ›
Marx Bros Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (75)fit for foodies (67)notable wine list (60)romantic (50)neighborhood gem (33)scenic view (18)hot spot (4)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- A romantic night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014Marx's Brothers Cafe is the number one finest dinning experience in Anchorage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/4/2014Always fun here. Great times and nice to know everyone.Special Features:
- A special treatChicklingDined on 10/25/2014Marx Bros is the best place to celebrate special occasions. Wonderful food, (the crab cakes are to die for and the rack of lamb is a must have for anyone who likes lamb) attentive service without being intrusive and unhurried atmosphere makes for a relaxed experience. This is our go to place for something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014I loved how personable and knowledgeable the servers were when I had wine pairing questions, and they were a pleasure to talk with in general when they came to our table to check on us.Special Features:
- Price fix menuDebb01Dined on 10/16/2014Went for the Anniversary dinner, and as usual, the meal was amazing. Have yet to have anything bad at this place. Also, always recommend the Caesar salad!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceAgingHippyDined on 10/7/2014I am a returning customer to this restaurant. It is at the top of my list whenever I overnight in Anchorage. The restaurant boasts an extensive wine list and the best ceased salad I have ever had made table side. This restaurant should be on your must list!Special Features:
- Great Food/Great ServiceAlaskaLeoDined on 9/27/2014The food was amazing, the view from our table was incredible. We were very close to the kitchen though and the noise level was loud. The service was wonderful. We would return without hesitation. Recommend a reservation. Very cool old home turned into a restaurant. If you like historical places, this would be a great place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and serviceAkmishellDined on 9/26/2014The food is to die for and our server, Melissa is always amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodtasteofSandraDined on 9/17/2014Impeccable service. Not the best atmosphere - tables are close (had some loud lawyers sitting right next to hubby and I trying to be "romantic"! after they left it was fine...) - but the food far exceeded any expectations I could dream of and thereby trumped any other issues... Gastronomic Nirvana!Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceASRwisDined on 9/17/2014We dined at Marx our last night in Anchorage. I had the filet and my wife had the crab cakes. Both were absolutely delicious. The staff are professional and well trained. I would recommend this establishment if you are in downtown Anchorage.Special Features:
- Marx Brothers574feederDined on 9/16/2014This was my second visit - the first only dimly recalled. Atmosphere is intimate, some might find proximity to other tables a bit close. Dining areas are clean and attractive but not showy or ornate. Wait staff is helpful and personable without being overly attentive or pushy at all. Ceasar salad is worth the price of admission by itself - if you are a fan of salads you will love it. My venison was near perfection though the potato that accompanied seemed like it had been out of the oven too long. My wife's halibut was also cooked to perfection though we both thought the mango/macadamea nut sauce was not a perfect match somehow. I'm quibbling as, overall, I would consider Marx bros. to be near the peak of fine dining in Anchorage.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationbillDined on 9/9/2014great time and Birthday celebration with excellent food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Simply awesome! Food and service superb; Sharon guided us to the perfect wine for our entrees. We're infrequent visitors to Anchorage, but Marx Bros will be the first priority the next time we come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciouswolfgangpunk1Dined on 9/4/2014Our dinners were delicious. I had the scallops and my friend had the halibut macadamia. This is dining as good as it gets. The halibut cheeks appetizer was out of this world and the Caesar Salad made at your table was the best Caesar I've had anywhere. Incredible wine list. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and WineBill49Dined on 8/30/2014Marx Brothers is always good for a special occasion. It is a great place for people who know and enjoy good food and wine. Their wine list is second to none and they always have some reasonably prices bottles of good wine. definitely a place to go for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Enjoyable Dinner in AnchorageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014The staff was lovely and the food remarkable. I have already recommended to 3 people that they go eat there the first chance they have. I'm only visiting and I'll return before I leave.Special Features:
- Hoped for magical~slow very serviceMommaforbesDined on 8/26/2014This was out first visit to this restaurant, and we had heard it was wonderful. It was a small, local establishment- so we were very excited to celebrate our anniversary here. Greeted right away, seated at a lovely table The wine suggestion was wonderful, and a mere $90 :)! The seafood moose with toast points. Delicious!! Salad awesome! Garlic lovers a must. Now the problem-we were basically ignored after this point. Our dinner was great! But the server never came back until dessert, this was almost 45 minutes. My husband ordered brandy with dessert (it never came). We saw the owner visiting with many of the regulars..it was clear he has a great connection to many, but it was our special evening, and we simply sat at an ignored table :(Special Features:
- TheoDined on 8/26/2014Marx Bros. has a very broad menu of appetizers, entrees, and desserts, and they were able to prepare each selection for a party of four perfectly. Their wine knowledge and service were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding....againbluelinerakDined on 8/23/2014Third time at the Marx Bros Cafe and like the first two, it was excellent. Of course the Ceaser salad was amazing as were both the scallaps and halibut. Great place for a special occation or nice dinner with anther couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014This is a beautiful small restaurant in downtown Anchorage. It has very intimate atmosphere and the service was very friendly and professional. Food was very fresh and delicious. We will definitely be back. They have a good wine list and offer a number of very nice wines by the glass.Special Features:
- Worlds best HalibutDanBVIPDined on 8/22/2014We are a repeat customer. We refer more people to this restaurant than any other. From start to finish, enjoyable, relaxing and delicious. If we lived in Alaska we would be regulars for sure. Prices are fair, service and the attitude of everyone in the place is happy and refreshing. Looking forward to our next trip so we can experience it again. Do not miss the opportunity if you find yourself in Anchorage.Special Features:
- A perfect birthday celebrationFireweedDined on 8/22/2014The friendly, knowledgeable and attentive wait staff worked in harmony to provide impeccable service. The ambiance is pleasing with romantic lighting and elegant décor. The exceptional wine list has a good selection of our favorite French wines. The menu is creative and table-side Caesar salad by Van is a wonderful treat. King salmon on the menu was a great surprise and was prepared perfectly. However, Reindeer medallions requested at medium was prepared medium well. The raspberry cream dessert was light, delicious and unique and was on the house in honor of my birthday. As an indication of a great restaurant, we "experienced" our dinner in a leisurely fashion with well-timed courses. Marx Bros is the best restaurant in Alaska!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in AnchorageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014The staff was so good, they added to the experience. The food was prepared as requested and their wine list is the best in Anchorage. It's a bit expensive but definitely doesn't have to be and it's very much worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cantwaittogoagainDined on 8/20/2014The service was very good. They paid closed attention to detail never allowing our water glass to be empty or wanting for anything. The ceasar salad prep at the table side was great to watch and the best I've ever had!Special Features:
- ExquisiteDrXPCDined on 8/19/2014Marx Brothers is exquisite. The expansive wine list is a delight to start the evening and the wine steward answered every question deftly. We had very fresh oysters and delicious crab cakes for appetizers. The table-side Caesar salad was entertaining, aromatic, and crisp. Tender lamb and scallops were our main entrees, prepared perfectly and paired with crisp veggies. Dessert included creamy birch ice cream, a light berry sorbet with rich flavor. The 30-year port was absolutely incredible, and a perfect end to the evening. The restaurant does everything well: hospitality, food, wine, and atmosphere. It is a perfect spot for a special celebration.Special Features:
- Fabulous Meal!DanvilleVIPDined on 8/16/2014The highlight meal of our entire Alaska trip. I had the King Crab legs which were exceptional. The Caesar Salad prepared tableside was outstanding. The desserts were the final cap on the meal. There was nothing that could have been better. Very pleased and only wish we lived closer to Alaska so we could return!Special Features:
- Still the Best in TownherberqDined on 8/16/2014Marx Brothers has been for several decades, and still is, the best fine dining restaurant in Anchorage. It is in a league with the top fine dining restaurants around the world, but has access to fresh seafood that is second to none. Everything on the menu is terrific. The table-side caesar salad is the best I have ever had -- anywhere, ever. If you are fortunate enough to have Van, one of the owners, making your salad the night you are there you are in for a treat since he is a fun charismatic guy. If you have room left, try the creme brûlée. To their great credit, they don't monkey with the basic creme brûlée recipe. Why tinker with perfection?Special Features:
- Simply outstandingSouthernwineoDined on 8/13/2014Literally words cannot express my surprise and delight in finding this restaurant. Travel to New Orleans, New York or San Francisco and you will not be able to find a more delightful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceFoodiegirlDined on 8/13/2014In an old house giving it warm and homey ambience. Great food. Owner is a character and visits tables so you can talk to him about the food and other things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VAN RocksEBartzVIPDined on 8/9/2014This is a fabulous restaurant and great find in Anchorage. Onlyy 60 seats so you need to make reservations. Order the caeser salad...a must. Van makes the salad tableside and it is absolutely the best caeser salad you have ever eaten. Wine selections are fabulous and the meals are delicious. We didn't stay for dessert...but convinced it would have been fabulous. Again, do not miss the caeser salad.Special Features:
- Great Food!WONDERFULDined on 8/1/2014This was our first time dining at Marx Brothers and we could't be more pleased with our meal...FANTASTIC FOOD & when an appetizer we ordered wasn't available, they brought us a replacement free-of-charge & apologized 2-3 times for not having our requested order (even though we completely understood selling out of great food)!Special Features:
- Best menu in townAlexDined on 8/1/2014The menu is diverse enough for a variety of tastes. The dishes were well-prepared from quality ingredients and appetizingly presented. The ambiance was average, but this has a lot to do with the location and the building housing the restaurant - there is no way the view could match Seven Glaciers and it would be very difficult to equal the dark, quiet romance of the now defunct Corsair. The service was very good, with nothing to complain about, but it was not as attentive as I have experienced in the best restaurants in this price range (If you have the chance, go to Las Islas Cies in Mexico City - in addition to world class food and preparation, the service anticipates anything you might be thinking to want, but without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with momOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014I had dinner here with my mom while I was just visiting town, and we had a terrific time. Cheryl was our server and she was fabulous--took such great care of us! I have a gluten intolerance and she was super helpful to accommodate my dietary needs. Our food was delicious and perfectly cooked and the wine was great as well. I love that they have half bottles! Great for two :). I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Evening IndeedConradSeattleDined on 7/24/2014The caesar salad prepared table side was a real treat, and the dining options were all expertly prepared and delicately seasoned. Definitely one of the best restaurants in Anchorage for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 459 reviews are from the Marx Bros Cafe reviews archive.
- Helpful staff and great wine listdine4goodDined on 7/23/2014The food was excellently prepared, the server helped us choose our wine which was not something we would have usually gone for, but was amazing. We were celebrating our anniversary, and they brought our desserts out with candles. It was a nice, thoughtful touch.Special Features:
- great food in nice atmospheremarjoleinDined on 7/12/2014The halibut macademia crust with curry was very good. We also liked the reindeer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Anchorage!wsb225VIPDined on 7/10/2014Fantastic wine list, great menu and excellent service! My wife and I were enjoyed ourselves very much while visiting Anchorage. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menu online is not currentQuinnDined on 7/8/2014I went hoping to have baby back ribs but that is no longer on there menu this may not be the restaurant's fault but was disappointed however very good service just not the meal I was expecting
- Great MealNuzanDined on 7/2/2014Met some friends for a farewell dinner. The Caesar salad was the best I've ever had. I had the checkerboard salmon which was fantastic and my wife had the scallops which were also fantastic. Service was attentive but not intrusive. Cheesecake for dessert was also excellent. I've lived here for 25 years and this is the first time I've ever dined here. I wish I would have come sooner. Great meal and experience.Special Features:
- Amazing place!!MandMVIPDined on 6/28/2014The location is very cute, and we were greeted by the owners as soon as we arrived! The food was outstanding, very complete wine list and engaging service! The table side Cesar a must! Highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.