Marx Bros Cafe
627 W Third Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99501Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Marx Bros Cafe
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://marxcafe.com/
- Phone: 907-278-2133
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jack Amon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room for parties of 10-12. The restaurant can be booked for private parties up to 40 people.
- Private Party Contact: Van Hale 907-278-2133
A word from Marx Bros Cafe
Located in one of the oldest homes in Anchorage, The Marx Bros. Café specializes in innovative contemporary cuisine featuring fresh Alaskan seafood and only the finest quality meats. Our chef revises the menu each night to reflect unique ingredients and imaginative preparations. Our cuisine is expertly paired with an extensive selection of wines housed in one of Alaska's largest cellars. Welcomed at the door by partner Van Hale, guests are at once immersed in a quaintly elegant atmosphere provided by our original town-site house and tasteful table settings. The evening is guided with unrivaled service by our subtle, accomplished staff. With only 14 tables in our house, we serve an average of 60 guests each night. Reservations are highly recommended. Please contact the restaurant directly if you are unable to get the time or party size requested online.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Marx Bros Cafe - Best Restaurants in Anchorage ›
Marx Bros Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (70)fit for foodies (58)notable wine list (54)romantic (38)neighborhood gem (27)scenic view (19)good for groups (5)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Most Enjoyable Dinner in AnchorageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014The staff was lovely and the food remarkable. I have already recommended to 3 people that they go eat there the first chance they have. I'm only visiting and I'll return before I leave.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/26/2014Marx Bros. has a very broad menu of appetizers, entrees, and desserts, and they were able to prepare each selection for a party of four perfectly. Their wine knowledge and service were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding....againbluelinerakDined on 8/23/2014Third time at the Marx Bros Cafe and like the first two, it was excellent. Of course the Ceaser salad was amazing as were both the scallaps and halibut. Great place for a special occation or nice dinner with anther couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014This is a beautiful small restaurant in downtown Anchorage. It has very intimate atmosphere and the service was very friendly and professional. Food was very fresh and delicious. We will definitely be back. They have a good wine list and offer a number of very nice wines by the glass.Special Features:
- Worlds best HalibutDanBVIPDined on 8/22/2014We are a repeat customer. We refer more people to this restaurant than any other. From start to finish, enjoyable, relaxing and delicious. If we lived in Alaska we would be regulars for sure. Prices are fair, service and the attitude of everyone in the place is happy and refreshing. Looking forward to our next trip so we can experience it again. Do not miss the opportunity if you find yourself in Anchorage.Special Features:
- Best in AnchorageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014The staff was so good, they added to the experience. The food was prepared as requested and their wine list is the best in Anchorage. It's a bit expensive but definitely doesn't have to be and it's very much worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cantwaittogoagainDined on 8/20/2014The service was very good. They paid closed attention to detail never allowing our water glass to be empty or wanting for anything. The ceasar salad prep at the table side was great to watch and the best I've ever had!Special Features:
- ExquisiteDrXPCDined on 8/19/2014Marx Brothers is exquisite. The expansive wine list is a delight to start the evening and the wine steward answered every question deftly. We had very fresh oysters and delicious crab cakes for appetizers. The table-side Caesar salad was entertaining, aromatic, and crisp. Tender lamb and scallops were our main entrees, prepared perfectly and paired with crisp veggies. Dessert included creamy birch ice cream, a light berry sorbet with rich flavor. The 30-year port was absolutely incredible, and a perfect end to the evening. The restaurant does everything well: hospitality, food, wine, and atmosphere. It is a perfect spot for a special celebration.Special Features:
- Still the Best in TownherberqDined on 8/16/2014Marx Brothers has been for several decades, and still is, the best fine dining restaurant in Anchorage. It is in a league with the top fine dining restaurants around the world, but has access to fresh seafood that is second to none. Everything on the menu is terrific. The table-side caesar salad is the best I have ever had -- anywhere, ever. If you are fortunate enough to have Van, one of the owners, making your salad the night you are there you are in for a treat since he is a fun charismatic guy. If you have room left, try the creme brûlée. To their great credit, they don't monkey with the basic creme brûlée recipe. Why tinker with perfection?Special Features:
- Simply outstandingSouthernwineoDined on 8/13/2014Literally words cannot express my surprise and delight in finding this restaurant. Travel to New Orleans, New York or San Francisco and you will not be able to find a more delightful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VAN RocksEBartzVIPDined on 8/9/2014This is a fabulous restaurant and great find in Anchorage. Onlyy 60 seats so you need to make reservations. Order the caeser salad...a must. Van makes the salad tableside and it is absolutely the best caeser salad you have ever eaten. Wine selections are fabulous and the meals are delicious. We didn't stay for dessert...but convinced it would have been fabulous. Again, do not miss the caeser salad.Special Features:
- Great Food!WONDERFULDined on 8/1/2014This was our first time dining at Marx Brothers and we could't be more pleased with our meal...FANTASTIC FOOD & when an appetizer we ordered wasn't available, they brought us a replacement free-of-charge & apologized 2-3 times for not having our requested order (even though we completely understood selling out of great food)!Special Features:
- Best menu in townAlexDined on 8/1/2014The menu is diverse enough for a variety of tastes. The dishes were well-prepared from quality ingredients and appetizingly presented. The ambiance was average, but this has a lot to do with the location and the building housing the restaurant - there is no way the view could match Seven Glaciers and it would be very difficult to equal the dark, quiet romance of the now defunct Corsair. The service was very good, with nothing to complain about, but it was not as attentive as I have experienced in the best restaurants in this price range (If you have the chance, go to Las Islas Cies in Mexico City - in addition to world class food and preparation, the service anticipates anything you might be thinking to want, but without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with momOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014I had dinner here with my mom while I was just visiting town, and we had a terrific time. Cheryl was our server and she was fabulous--took such great care of us! I have a gluten intolerance and she was super helpful to accommodate my dietary needs. Our food was delicious and perfectly cooked and the wine was great as well. I love that they have half bottles! Great for two :). I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Evening IndeedConradSeattleDined on 7/24/2014The caesar salad prepared table side was a real treat, and the dining options were all expertly prepared and delicately seasoned. Definitely one of the best restaurants in Anchorage for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Helpful staff and great wine listdine4goodDined on 7/23/2014The food was excellently prepared, the server helped us choose our wine which was not something we would have usually gone for, but was amazing. We were celebrating our anniversary, and they brought our desserts out with candles. It was a nice, thoughtful touch.Special Features:
- great food in nice atmospheremarjoleinDined on 7/12/2014The halibut macademia crust with curry was very good. We also liked the reindeer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Anchorage!wsb225VIPDined on 7/10/2014Fantastic wine list, great menu and excellent service! My wife and I were enjoyed ourselves very much while visiting Anchorage. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menu online is not currentQuinnDined on 7/8/2014I went hoping to have baby back ribs but that is no longer on there menu this may not be the restaurant's fault but was disappointed however very good service just not the meal I was expecting
- Great MealNuzanDined on 7/2/2014Met some friends for a farewell dinner. The Caesar salad was the best I've ever had. I had the checkerboard salmon which was fantastic and my wife had the scallops which were also fantastic. Service was attentive but not intrusive. Cheesecake for dessert was also excellent. I've lived here for 25 years and this is the first time I've ever dined here. I wish I would have come sooner. Great meal and experience.Special Features:
- Amazing place!!MandMVIPDined on 6/28/2014The location is very cute, and we were greeted by the owners as soon as we arrived! The food was outstanding, very complete wine list and engaging service! The table side Cesar a must! Highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Anchorage Restaurantzeus50Dined on 6/21/2014We had the most amazing experience at Marx Bros Cafe beginning with the welcoming by the owner. The food was incredible and the wine was excellent. This was one of our favorite restaurants of all time and we have eaten out a lot. Marx Bros cafe should not be missed!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in AnchorageeatoutmoreoftenDined on 6/21/2014The food was wonderful, the presentation great and the ambiance fitting for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable experienceComomarieDined on 6/21/2014The owners of the Marx Brothers cafe truly love amazing food and love to serve. This post-marathon special occasion dinner couldn't have been better! If you are looking for a truly delicious dining experience and to be well cared for throughout, this is the place in Anchorage.Special Features:
- Caelus Energy DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2014I booked Marx Bros and changed our reservation a few times with no issues. Everyone there was friendly and accommodating. It was definitely our favorite meal of the trip so far and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marx BrosDinerDined on 6/17/2014Food was excellent. Very small place that was a little too warm.Special Features:
- Not bad for AnchorageNapken3Dined on 6/17/2014Nice place with very good cuisine. The foie gras is excellent. Excellent if not too long of a wine list. On a added note, should you venture to Seward after Anchorage check out "Thorn's Showcase Lounge". The halibut is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealBoztelDined on 6/14/2014If you have to choose one place to go to have a great meal on a short visit to anchorage go here. The rock fish was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic MealAlpineBearDined on 6/13/2014Our first visit to Marx Bros and it was very memorable. The best salmon and halibut cheeks ever. Superb service and awesome staff. Our only regret is that we waited so long to dine there. Definitely a repeat visit in our future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding DinnerBillHackett2Dined on 6/11/2014All of the positive reviews are on target. If you are visiting Anchorage, this is THE place to have dinner. We had the signature dish, almond crusted halibut, and it was outstanding. To avoid gluten for my wife, they prepared a special dinner of halibut cheeks, which are a delicacy for those who don't know. We had glasses of Pinot Noir and Merlot, and were in Heaven. Try it! You will like it!Special Features:
- Entertaining and originalOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/3/2014Great wine list and inventive menu. If you're lucky, the owners will tell you the tale of how they came by their name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2014We went to Marx Brothers based upon the reviews and were definitely NOT disappointed. Dinner was wonderful! Highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Marx Bros Cafe great for a b-daySteveandAnneDined on 5/30/2014A friend suggested the Marx Bros Cafe for a 60th birthday celebration. Would not change a thing! Meal was great, service was friendly, Cozy surroundings. Well done Van! the Caesar salad alone was worth the price of the evening.Special Features:
- Great restaurantWineNdineDined on 5/28/2014Stunningly good restaurant with excellent wine selection. Best salmon and halibut we had in Alaska. The Caesar salad is classic...prepared at table with all the ingredients of an original Caesar. Coast to coast in our top tier dining experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatAjatnuvukDined on 5/20/2014I've enjoyed every meal I've had at Marx Brothers. Their table side Caesar is definitely worth ordering. They always do well with fish. The fish mousse appetizer was amazing. They have a wonderful chocolate mousse, made with really good chocolate. It's a true mousse, not a chocolate pudding. The wine list is good, and the dessert wine list is impressive. You really can't go wrong.Special Features:
- The BestAkfaveDined on 5/8/2014My favorite restaurant in Anchorage. Sadly, don't live here anymore, but had to go to Marx Bros while visiting. Excellent, as always!Special Features:
- The following 436 reviews are from the Marx Bros Cafe reviews archive.
- Love! Love! Love!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Marx Bro's has always been a destination for my wife and I when we are celabrating a special occasion. I you are wanting a romantic and intimate place to take that special some I recommend Marx Bro's 100%.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingMumfryDined on 5/1/2014As soon as I entered this quaint setting I was warmly greeted by Van. Once sitting down the staff working this evening all stopped by at various points throughout my dining experience. As part of their model Marx Bros cafe has all staff interact with their patrons versus having only one waiter. The effect is not overbearing in the least. Instead it is quite a delight to see an authentic focus on customer service. If you enjoy Caesar salad Van freshly makes the salad right in front of you - a must. My food was delicious! I will definitely go back to this charming, relaxed, well thought out atmosphere to enjoy some wonderful seafood next time I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryTopHatDined on 5/1/2014I enjoyed a return to the place which was a legend thirty years ago, and Van Hale has held up the mark. Not disappointed !Special Features:
- Who Knew?FlounderVIPDined on 4/30/2014I had walked past this joint several time not realizing it was a restaurant but after seeing the high reviews on OT I had to give it a try and well worth it. Nice old house as the setting, excellent food preparation and quality. Staff was very friendly and had a personal feel to it that was a welcome experience over the typical high end restaurant vibe. Will be back for sure.Special Features: