2007 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marvindc.com/
- Phone: 2027977171x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am Brunch: Sunday 10:30-3:30 (bar open all day)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Angel Franco
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: The lounge has nightly DJs spinning the best of rare groove, soul, classic hip hop and eclectic independent artists.
A word from Marvin
Located in the Shaw area of D.C., Marvin combines Belgian cuisine and American comfort food with soul-inspired dishes like shrimp and grits, and is named in homage to Marvin Gaye; a huge mural of Marvin is painted on a main dining room wall. The restaurant decor gives some of the feel of a traditional local place, with a cool vibe as you enter the upstairs lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marvin reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (31)fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (27)hot spot (19)romantic (19)good for groups (17)late-night find (15)great for brunch (11)special occasion (7)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Delicious mealMimiDined on 10/24/2014The food was delicious. Make sure you try the chicken fried oysters!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant but overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014I thought Marvin's was just okay and overpriced. You can tell it's trendy and popular but we are not drinkers, we came to eat. The food was good but not exceptional.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD, GREAT SERVICEGoodness154545Dined on 10/12/2014I love the ambiance of this place, and the food is just amazing. A great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Loved the food and ambiance. Not too crowded but maybe because it was a Sunday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceFoodieDined on 9/20/2014I went there for a birthday celebration and was not impressed. I ask the waiter for lemonade and was given lemon water, he took it and said he was going to fix it but instead brought me water with a lemon in it. One of the services brought the food out and knock over the wine glass and when the bill came he charged us for two glasses. When told he was wrong he began arguing with us. The waiter only came once to the table to check on us. Had to ask the manager to take care of the bill because the waiter took out his phone when using our credit cards. The food was good- given small portions. Only go there for the bar not for the dining.
- Awesome restaurantBdayHealingDined on 9/20/2014Celebrated a birthday here and will most def be back! Go Marvins! Go with the bartender's choice - you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta try Marvin's!SGunnDined on 9/15/2014The entire experience was fantastic from the hostess to the waitress to the DJ!!! Will definitely be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant for birthdayLooseknotDined on 9/14/2014Recently came back from Marvin after a birthday celebration. We were a group of ten, and the staff made sure that we had plenty of space throughout the night. Dishes ran the gamut - everything for chicken and waffles to steamed mussels. Everything was delicious. The deserts were good, but nothing spectacular. Perfect bar scene to throw back a couple drinks or to order a few apps with friends. Will be returning.Special Features:
- Nice FindFunfoodDined on 9/13/2014Excellent service and food! Simple menu made the selection process easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvin is GREAT!SteveVIPDined on 9/13/2014Marvin continues to impress. It's an awesome dining experience - fun staff, great food, and a funky, laid back atmosphere.
- A Consistent FavoriteKitty4flitDined on 9/9/2014I've been to Marvin at least 3 times and every time has been very good. Upstairs, there is a happening outdoor patio and bar with a small dance floor. The DJ was great. Twice, I've eaten in the main dining room on the lower level. While the menu isn't extensive, there is a little something for everyone. I'm a vegetarian and there are plenty of choices. The bread here is terrific and every dish that both my boyfriend and I have tried has been terrific. The atmosphere is fun--Marvin Gaye is feature, natch, and I would say the decor is upscale groovy. A great place for a date or dinner before a 9:30 Club show.Special Features:
- Just okjennyDined on 9/5/2014Food was fine, nothing spectacular. Server was not very friendly and service a little slow.
- GoodFunFoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2014Marvin continues to be a good restaurant - good quality and great service. It is very loud and the dining room was quite full of the kitchen scent this go around. Not awful, but not great. The appetizer menu has grown and is amazing. The rooftop lounge is a hit as well! Sabena was our waitress and she was awesome!Special Features:
- I expected betterCollokitchDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I went to Gibson for drinks and met up with friends for dinner at Marvin afterwards. I had read about the Chef de Cuisine and was very impressed with his resume. As a professional in the industry, I had this preconceived notion that the food was going to be great. When our apps arrived, I was impressed. Perfect little fried oysters along with a tangy remoulade, along with the pork bbq ribs. ZERO complaints in that department. It was pretty difficult to get out server to bring us more water. 8oz water glasses deemed to be too small for quenching the salty fried goodness. When our entree's arrived, I was optimistic..but low and behold, a soggy, pre-made waffle lay helplessly next to a beautiful piece of fried chicken. Whyyyy??
- A U Street GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014It's good to know that at least some places on U Street still pay homage to the neighborhood's character. Marvin is an excellent fusion of soul food and Belgian cuisine that will keep you coming back. The signature chicken and waffles is fantastic and made complete by the perfectly tender collard greens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvin was great!superhoogieDined on 8/22/2014R&B soul vibes, attentive service, and a great drink list, all help to highlight the the great food at Marvin. Highlights were the shrimp & grits, chicken and waffles, and steak frites. Great place to meet up with friends, grab a drink and a great meal, and take in the vibe. A great addition to the DC dining scene!Special Features:
- could have been betterStymesister1Dined on 8/17/2014I had my 29 Birthday here it was nice and layed back like I like it. yet sevice was not as undevided as it should have been.the bread was cold and late coming out along with the drinks I felt like we had to tell the server how to serve. my dad put up alot of money Im sure and serves was horible. they charged me for bringing in my Cake and when I emailed them they said nothing about a cake fee but that was not a big deal. my family did not like it at all so I looked at that and took it in to consideration and it could have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedGBirdVIPDined on 8/16/2014After reading many of the reviews, I was not expecting much good in terms of service and food, but I was pleasantly surprised. The service was better than I expected (based on the reviews) and the food was good. I had the cornmeal crusted cod and it was very good. It was my first time there; we were celebrating a birthday and we all enjoyed ourselves. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No flavortigerntherainDined on 8/15/2014This is going to be straight to the point. The food was terrible...the chicken breasts were dry and had no taste. The waffles tasted as if they came out of a box... The $12 glass of wine was ok but not worth $12...small but very busy bar... the rooftop lounge was the best part of the entire place. perhaps the food having no flavor was/is an attempt at Belgian food, eh I don't know what is going with the food, but I do know that it is a nasty failure!!
- DeliciousHumbleopinionDined on 8/15/2014I can honestly say that the pork chop I had for dinner was the best I've ever had. I asked the waitress for her opinion and she did not disappoint! The tuna was also perfectly done. Absolutely fabulous meal. Can't stop raving about it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaw area must visitfoodforfoodiesDined on 8/14/2014My boyfriend and I were visiting DC for a few days in August and we went to Marvin for dinner on a Thursday night. We were seated immediately and the wait staff was incredibly attentive. We placed our order and our first course arrived within 10 minutes of us sitting down. We had the corn croquettes and shrimp and grits as an appetizer. It was absolutely delicious! For dinner I had the chicken and waffles and my boyfriend had the steak. Both entrees were equally amazing and arrived shortly after our appetizers were finished. The drink selections are very creative and tasty. All in all we had an excellent dining experience and cannot wait to return to DC to visit the restaurant again!Special Features:
- marvin's rooftop was hot!FabulousFoodieDined on 8/8/2014This was my first time dining at marvin's. The food was ok...I had fried oysters and fried green tomatoes. The fried oysters were good but the fried green tomatoes were just ok. I would not get them again. My boyfriend had the tuna, he said it was ok. I tried it too fishy for me. I definitely will go back for the rooftop and drinks! The rooftop is so nice & chill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Whites allowed at Rooftop BarMarvinsDaughtersDined on 8/1/2014Thought there was rooftop dining - but only a bar. Ate downstairs. Food was excellent, especially the collared greens which I love. But don't get a steak; could not get it medium well even after we sent it back. Tried to check out the ambiance on the rooftop to see if we wanted to have a drink up there before getting the rest of our friends, left purse at the table. I am 54, my sister is 46 - and they insisted on an id before letting us even see the rooftop bar! I write AAP's and I was in for our national conference. MLK III was our speaker. But we totally felt like whites were not welcome at Marvin's, (our Dad's name), especially on the roof. Waitress also did not seem to like our questions about the menu. Just a bad vibe.
- Consistently Great FoodFattycriticVIPDined on 7/28/2014A favorite local place. Great food, and service. I've been there probably 10 times since it opened and it's consistently one of the better restaurants in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit was disappointingAmyCVIPDined on 7/28/2014This was my 2nd time dining at Marvin and it wasn't as good as my first time there. The waiter didn't come by often and we kept having to flag him down. It took a long time for our food to arrive. The entire meal took 2 hours!Special Features:
- Fun Nightant23Dined on 7/26/2014Visited DC for the first time and went to Marvins. The food was OK, but the ambiance was nice. The DJ upstairs was great. Fun night!Special Features:
- Blah food. Terrible steakblahblahblahDined on 7/26/2014My friends and I went here last night and I had high expectations. My husband's steak was cold and even after we sent it back it was not worth the money we paid for it. The food was nothing to write home about. I guess people come here for the bar scene, which seemed great, but spend your dinner money elsewhere!Special Features:
- Enjoyed everything we orderedBrownieDined on 7/19/2014From Cocktail, to appetizer, entree' and dessert. We enjoyed every bite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ok...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Menu is limited but good. Upstairs has a nice rooftop for happy hour & late night drinks. The host was not friendly at all, guess he was having a bad day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blah...BlahHonestLolaDined on 7/13/2014I've been to Marvins before, but I never knew they served food. I went for Sunday Brunch, and the food was just "blah." I ordered the shrimp and grits and received a small bowl of tasteless grits with about 4 shrimp. My friends and I also decided to order the waffles (thinking they were Belgian, fluffy waffles with a nice crisp outside...wrong. The waffle was soft and had the worst, bittersweet chocolate in it. I'm not sure if Marvins has a culinary team that reviews it's food offerings, but it is need of some direction. I don't think I will go to Marvins for the food again. Guess I will stick to the drinks and dancing.
- SurferdSurferdDined on 7/12/2014The food was excellent but...the noise level was way to loud and the lighting level way to low. I had to use table candle to read menu. I would go back again but maybe really early before it gets crowded so I don't have to shout across the table to my date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!DunkDined on 7/12/2014Wonderful food, great service, excellent location!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service Great Everything!mimiDined on 7/11/2014I came to Mavin to surprise my friend for his 30th ( its his faavorite restaurant)birthday and everything was executed perfectly. The host was awesome and our server she was the best. From the champagne toast to the desert her timing was perfect. I want to say thank you very much. I do want to thank you. Our host had a nice accent with a little ponytail your were great. Thank yiu sir. And our server I dont recall her name thank yiu maam. I will defiantly be back. The only thing that is missing is a few subtle hints of Marvin Gaye. Besides that picture perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CWFGrannyDined on 7/10/2014The food was great, the service was ok, great outing for me and my groupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe at MarvinrrschrumjrVIPDined on 7/7/2014Marvin merges Belgian and Southern food (an odd combination, at first glance), and all of it is quite good. The Belgian mussels are wonderful (several different preparations, all steamed in a pot), and come with classic Belgian frites. I enjoyed the bite of my wife's steak that I had; topped with gorgonzola. And we had an appetizer of delicious, fall-off-the-bone tender baby back ribs. Skip the Victory Saison beer. The vibe is awesome; great music, really cool mural of Marvin Gaye (the namesake) on the wall, and a dark, wood-paneled, urbane feel. I look forward to returning; decent value, very good food, and a great scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1185 reviews are from the Marvin reviews archive.
- Best Mary in DC!CarlosVIPDined on 6/29/2014Make sure to get the Monday Mary, it's the best Bloody Mary in all of Washington, DC and worth the trip! And the Sunday brunch menu never dissapoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2014Two fairly weak drinks and an entree will push you over $30.
- Overall A Nice Vibe...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2014Made dinner reservations at Marvin for after drinks at The Gibson next door. The ambience and service was fine, but the food selection was not that exciting, checking it out online the menu selections seemed more exciting than they actually were. I ordered two appetizers for my meal, Shrimp and Grits and the Chicken Fried Oysters both were delicious. My friend ordered the Pork Shank, he wasn't too thrilled with it, I tried it and it was nothing special. I would recommend Marvin for cocktails and appetizers, if you looking for a show stopping meal this may not fit the bill.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MargaretVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great place off the beaten path for traditional tourists in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!kaylarDined on 6/28/2014Great old school interior, nicely lit and walls of polished dark wood; cool music that ranged from classic soul, R & B and some sharp Hip-Hop. Food was terrific; everybody enjoyed their meals but standout was the fish and the crispy brussel sprouts. Also a mac and cheese to write home about. Our waitstaff was attentive, knew the details of the menu and friendly without being overbearing. No complaints except the busing of the table was a little energetic with plates starting to vanish before we were finished.Special Features: