2007 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marvindc.com/
- Phone: (202) 797-7171
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am Brunch: Sunday 10:30-3:30 (bar open all day)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Angel Franco
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: The lounge has nightly DJs spinning the best of rare groove, soul, classic hip hop and eclectic independent artists.
A word from Marvin
Located in the Shaw area of D.C., Marvin combines Belgian cuisine and American comfort food with soul-inspired dishes like shrimp and grits, and is named in homage to Marvin Gaye; a huge mural of Marvin is painted on a main dining room wall. The restaurant decor gives some of the feel of a traditional local place, with a cool vibe as you enter the upstairs lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marvin reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)neighborhood gem (39)vibrant bar scene (30)hot spot (23)good for groups (22)romantic (17)late-night find (17)great for brunch (15)special occasion (12)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Delicious but loudalexDined on 4/24/2014We went to Marvin for Dining out for Life. We had some yummy appetizers and entrees. Unfortunately, the music was so loud we could barely hear our friends sitting directly across from us at the table. I had to ask twice for the music to be turned down.Special Features:
- Good TimeFLORIANTDined on 4/19/2014Our apps were great......Shrimp and Grits (the best i have ever had) and the beef ribs were delicious. We had two orders of chicken and waffles (good) and One order of Moules Frites Bouillabaisse: Lobster, Bay Scallops, Clams, Grilled Shrimp, Saffron Butter (wonderful) and one order of Moules Frites MARINIÈRE: White Wine, Garlic, Shallots (delicious).Special Features:
- JooleeVIPDined on 4/18/2014Food was great. Service was very slow. It took our server 7 minutes before she even greeted us. We had to get another server to go find her. A manager had to take payment since she was no where in sight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2014My wife and I went to Marvin's for Sunday Brunch. The food was decent but overpriced. Our service was good and the ambiance was nice but $18 for a chicken and waffles plate, which was pretty small, seemed a bit much. The stuffed french toast had great flavor but was soggy and the texture was a bit off-putting. If you go to have drinks with friends; I guess this can be a nice place but if you're looking for a good food experience I suggest trying somewhere else.
- SolidSolidDined on 4/13/2014A friend and I were curious about brunch at Marvin's since we had only ever visited the upstairs bar. The menu offers pretty standard brunch fare comparable to other restaurants in the city; nothing out of the box to try. I got the steak and eggs while my friend got the chicken and waffles. The food was solid and came out quickly. Our server was nice, helpful and attentive. My only complaint would be that the first floor dining room is a little dark. And it was a beautiful, bright and sunny day! Overall, we had a good experience and would return.Special Features:
- Great brunchbostonguyVIPDined on 4/13/2014wonderful service and ambiance. Young, hip and vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the heart of it allBeefVIPDined on 4/12/2014Dependable food and great location. Always a fun night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere had a buzzRayesDined on 4/11/2014The atmosphere had a buzz to it. The servers were prompt, the wine was good & the food was delicious. I'll admit it wasn't what I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!anonymousDined on 4/10/2014Excellent experience at Marvin. We went on the early side, so the restaurant was empty. Very good service. The food was great -- the braised short rib was very tender, though it had rather a lot of fat. The chicken and waffle was very good as well, though the waffle was a bit dry. I was a little worried because of all the complaints on here, but we had a great experience.Special Features:
- Good food/atmosphere not for usBenjaminDined on 4/6/2014We found the food to be good, but the atmosphere didn't suit us. Marvin was one of the few places that allowed us to make a reservation for 6 (plus one baby) on a Sunday morning. We had the earliest reservation they had available. Four of us had been to the restaurant several years ago. Between our six diners, we had the chicken and waffles, salad nicoise, eggs benedict and huevos rancheros. The food was good. It was well prepared, well seasoned, and very tasty. The atmosphere didn't suit us for two reasons: we found the service to be poor and the restaurant to be too loud. We had difficulty getting refills, and they cleared plates before we had finished. And it was difficult to carry on conversation because of the noise.
- Rude WaitressDining4twocouplesDined on 4/5/2014The music was great. It took about three minutes to be greeted. However, there was a really nice waiter who helped me. The food was great. The duck was delicious and my boyfriend ordered a burger. It was okay, but we have had better. Another coupled ordered chicken and waffles and pork chops with veggies they enjoyed their meal as well. On the other hand, when it was time to check out the waitress did NOT bother to ask us how the bill would be paid (separate or together). She brought the bill to us, and expected us to split the bill ourselves. She even went as far as telling us to use a calculator to figure out how much it would cost for each couple and include the tax. #NicenoterudewaitressSpecial Features:
- This was a very differentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2014This was a very different experience for me. I loved the idea that there were serveral places to go within the restaurant and different kinds of music. However, there was an issue at the bar on the roof top. It was an Asian guy who was kind of Rude and said he was the owner which is unfortunate if that was the case.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and TastefulLas2011Dined on 3/31/2014We came for the first time with out of town guests because of the chicken and waffles reviews online - the reviews were correct! This dish was fantastic, as was the duck entree. We enjoyed the moules frites dijonnaise as an appetizer - a huge order with delicious frites! The drinks were fantastic - I went for the "bartender's choice" and simply said that I liked bourbon/rye - got a delicious lemon honey, but not super sweet, concoction. The bartender also accommodated our guest who wanted something fancy but doesn't drink alcohol with a made to her preferences "mocktail" - which we appreciated. My sea bass was not as good as the other dishes (a few too many things going on on the plate), but still well prepared. Would definitely return!Special Features:
- Great brunch!wino1107Dined on 3/30/2014This is a cute little restaurant. My boyfriend and I went for Sunday brunch. It's small but they pack a lot of tables in there. Pretty loud but not unbearable. The service was a little spotty, but there were plenty of people walking around filling waters and once we ordered, the food came out very quickly. I got the huevos rancheros (our server claimed it was his favorite), my bf got the croque madame, and we shared a side of cheddar grits. I LOVE grits, and these did not disappoint. Both meals were delicious, but if I come back I'll definitely try the chicken and waffles. It is a popular item and looked amazing. We also ordered bloody Marys which were a good level of spicy, lots of horseradish. I'm sure their regular menu is great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, fun brunchGeorgiabrowsDined on 3/23/2014Go here for brunch with friends. It has a fun vibe, the food is solid (you can't really go wrong with anything that you order) and the drinks well mixed. It's noisy and dark, so if you are after something quiet, this is not it i.e. maybe not the best place to take your Mom. We had a great time, thanks Marvin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken and WafflesTraceyVIPDined on 3/16/2014Get them! Well seasoned and juicy, this is a perfect pick me up after a Saturday of partying. The only thing that would make it even better would be a side of cheese grits.Special Features:
- If it isn't broken...Foodie2014Dined on 3/15/2014Marvin's quality of service and food has gone downhill since it first opened it's doors. What was once one of my favorite go to restaurants in the city is slowly becoming a distant memory. My friends and I recently visited for dinner and had to wait more than 20 minutes to be seated with a reservation. Once seated, our waiter was less than attentive and our meal was nothing spectacular. The hanger steak was lacking in flavor and frites served at room temperature while the waffle portion of the chicken and waffles dish was inedible due to its firmness. We all agreed that we miss the Marvin we once knew. Interesting enough, the menu prices have stayed consistent while all other aspects of the establishment have dwindled and now fall short.
- DisappointmentcsindcVIPDined on 3/15/2014I've lived a block from Marvin since it opened and had only ever been there years ago for brunch. That I could get an 8:30pm reservation for four on a Saturday night with two days notice perhaps should have been a sign. Despite having a reservation, we weren't seated until around 9:20pm so that was a bumpy start to the night. The manager did buy us two rounds of drinks while we waited so that helped smooth things over a bit. The service was very good, but the food didn't match. Two of us got sea bass that was slightly over done and also was lacking in the seasoning department. Another guest got the pork chop and that too was a bit over done and dry. All is all, as the title says, a disappointment.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2014I always bring out of town guests to Marvin for dinner. The food is always great and the atmosphere shows the best of DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- southern blissrutgDined on 3/15/2014The best fried chicken and waffles, I've had. Nice placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulluvgoodfoodDined on 3/10/2014This place is definitly a great spot for any occassion. Just overall Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at BestDCDinerVIPDined on 3/9/2014Marvin is a fun bar, but the food is mediocre. Given the plethora of delicious brunch options that have sprung up in DC recenetly, I was expecting a lot more from Marvin. The eggs were dry, the waffles were soggy, and the mimosas were watered down. I would not recommend Marvin for brunch,Special Features:
- Fun and delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/8/2014A return trip. Saturday night scene is HOPPIN!!! But that is to be expected as the restaurant deserves the crowd and attention. For example, the crispy roasted Brussels sprouts with a creamy cumin & citrus zest sauce or the dry-rubbed pork chop with white bean cassoulet. Just 2 of the outstanding dishes we shared. By the time we finished our 7:45 dinner, the line for the upstairs bar extended a good 50' down the sidewalk. Fun and delicious -- THAT'S a pretty good combination, ain't it?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like eating in a steel mill.thomnasVIPDined on 3/8/2014The food was great, the server and bartender were fantastic and knowledgeable, but the noise was almost unbearable. Our party of 5 had to shout from one end of the table to the other to be heard. Two of our party finally gave up and simply ate in silence as the cacophony around us grew. Even my college cafeteria wasn't this loud. How about a big sign at the entrance, asking "inside voice, please."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While I liked the fushionRobdawgDined on 3/7/2014While I liked the fushion of Belgian and Soul food (my two favorites!), I think the food could use a lot more attention for the price. While the Chicken and Waffle I had was really good and unique, my friend's short ribs were totally dry and uninteresting (and $$ to boot). The Mussles I tried were tasty but nothing that wow'd me (unlike Granville Moores). My friends enjoyed the shrimp & grits & the Brussels sprouts. I brought a group of 9 for my bday on a Friday night. We were seated immediately & server was attentive. I liked the ambiance but it was still a bit too dark & too loud. I was stuffed from the chicken and waffles and heavy Belgian beer to eat dessert, but I left quite happy.Special Features:
- Great shrimp-n-gritsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/2/2014Great shrimp-n-grits, pleasant waiter (who was also good looking), and nice atmosphere. Bloody Mary's were a little small, but minor detail. Nice brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall this is a great restaurantOAM2014VIPDined on 3/1/2014Overall this is a great restaurant and the food was really good. Our waiter was also very attentive but that said one huge disappointment is that even though I made reservations in advance, we had to wait one hour before we were seated. Highly annoying especially as I was bringing friends who are new to DC. After 30 minutes of sulking I guess the floor manager spotted us and bought us a round of drinks. Probably should have done that right off the bat but all in all appreciated the gesture. My experience has made me leery of booking there again during busy hours.Special Features:
- Obsessed!Nightlife2NatureVIPDined on 2/26/2014I love the duck breast and shrimp and grits! They are absolutely delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunch volumeJRWVA2013VIPDined on 2/23/2014My only complaint is that the music volume level was too loud for brunch. It made hearing our conversation challenging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best on 14thJaneDined on 2/21/2014We introduced a friend to one of our favorite places- Marvin and at the end of our evening she said it best, "we need to come back, this place is great". This continues to be one of our absolute favorite places, great cocktails, we love both the funky parisian like bar upstairs, as well as the wonderful outdoor deck bar, and then we move to the restaurant for a terrific dinner- the food, service, and wine are always perfect. This place is funky, hip, but also warm and inviting. We've been going here for years and have never had a complaint. DC is fortunate to have a packed and ever expanding food scene, but while we have a long list of must try, Marvin remains our go-to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This being my third time,BigplateVIPDined on 2/19/2014This being my third time, I always feel the overall experience is better than the food--which itself is not bad, just not noteworthy.
- Bad Service; Way Too Much SaltZubinDined on 2/17/2014I hope you will pass along my comments to the restaurant managers because I expected much more from my experience. Service was excruciatingly slow and uninspiring; no enthusiasm or pleasant demeanor. There were long periods of time when he didn't even show up at the table. The food was average to good. Several items were packed full of salt. Since they were completely different dishes my take was the salt was dumped on everything at the end to try to make them work? Very odd and unfortunate, given the restaurant is surrounded by quality restaurants. Hope it can get it together because the name was what attracted me in the first place.
- It did not live up to what I heard.CrushedItVIPDined on 2/16/2014I heard the food here is really good, but I wasn't super impressed. The food was just okay. The prices are a little high for what you get. Also, it was difficult getting our server's attention. We had to wait and get his attention every time we needed something. If I were to return, it would only be to have a drink on their rooftop bar. I would not revisit the restaurant.Special Features:
- niceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We enjoyed the food and the service was great. We will be back for the burger. It seems to be a must haveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!Sugrnice29Dined on 2/10/2014This visit was my third or fourth to Marvin, and I brought friends from out of town. I had the salmon which was good, but my favorite is the chicken and waffles. They combine the standard chicken & waffle with collards, and the combination with syrup is delicious! The draft beers are fairly limited in the dining room, but luckily one is Leffe Brune (dark) which is a favorite of mine. The coffee creme brulee was very tasty! The dining room at Marvin has a really nice feel - a very diverse group os people and laid back - it's cozy although fairly big. Theser guys also have an awesome rooftop with a few different seating areas and two bars - can't wait for Spring! I'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Timer, will be back!ShannonDined on 2/9/2014The food was amazing!!! My drink wasn't the best but I'm not a drinker and may have just ordered the wrong drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but hyperactiveVenicomivenciDined on 2/9/2014My dish - Norwegian Benedict -- was delicious and our waitress did a good job. The only problem was that we were seated at a table along a very high traffic walkway area -- probably due to the restaurant trying to fit in as many two tops as possible. Still, this meant people were bustling by the table constantly, which was a little uncomfortable. That was not helped by the fact that the person who refilled the water glasses was a bit overzealous, refilling my glass practically every two sips. And my pet peeve is when plates are cleared before everyone is finished, but this happens everywhere these days. All in all, it was good and I would return, though I will be sure to request to be seated away from the walkway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvin'sSandyDined on 2/9/2014Excellent brunch, friendly staff, yummy food....but lousy coffee. If they do not offer espresso drinks, please make the "regular" coffee tastier. It was really bad stuff. Overall, I would gladly return to Marvins....and choose tea!Special Features:
- Great food!jleoVIPDined on 2/9/2014Have been to Marvin several times. Love the Belgian inspired menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great! Our serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/26/2014The food was great! Our service was great! We were considering this place for our wedding reception and our visit tipped the scales!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.