1483 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://maruzzellanyc.com/
- Phone: 2129888877
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available for full buyouts or semi-private events.
- Private Party Contact: Nicola LoRusso 2129888877
A word from Maruzzella
Zagat 2010 writes, "The 'tasty' Northern Italiana is 'lovingly prepared' at this longtime UES 'neighborhood haunt' best known for its 'welcoming' aim to please 'owners.' The intimate setting and pricing that won't max out your credit card add to the overall eat good - feel good experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maruzzella reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)great for outdoor dining (6)fit for foodies (5)romantic (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (2)good for groups (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Our favorite!Neighborhoodiner1VIPDined on 9/20/2014We have eaten at Maruzzella for lunch or dinner on many occasions and have never had anything that wasn't delicious. Pasta is always cooked perfectly al dente and sauces, whether seafood or bolognese, are as good as we've had in our times in Italy. The veal chop is the best we've had in NY, generously sized and perfectly cooked. The staff is the most welcoming in the city - service is excellent. I could go on and on, but this really is a special place that anyone who misses Italy should try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialanonVIPDined on 7/16/2014We had pastas...very average...not worth a trip back.
- Food is not a High PointBobbieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Food is ordinary Southern Italian with lots of heavy,red sauces that are over spiced and oily. The service is fine and so is the decor. Not a place we would go back to no matter how convenient it is.
- Charming neighborhood spotNeighborhoodiner1VIPDined on 6/28/2014Perfect pasta and delicious veal chop at reasonable prices. Staff is friendly and professional. Reminded us of many small gems we've enjoyed in Italy. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Gooddiners4finersDined on 6/11/2014If you want to dine Italian-style, Maruzzella is a great option to keep in mind. The service and food were all excellent, and it doesn't attract large crowds, so you will have a pleasant dining experience. Definitely try this place.Special Features:
- Excellent foodMJCHZNDined on 5/29/2014an outstanding "neighborhood" restaurant that loves its regulars, but was outstanding four our 25th wedding anniversary. Owner could not have been nicer; gave us a compimentary after dinner drink. food was delicious, every bite, numerous specials and everything was wonderful. will definitely go back when we are back to NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and FriendlyCharlieVIPDined on 5/26/2014The food is always great, the service is always great too and Maruzzella is truly a neighborhood gem which is open lateSpecial Features:
- The following 123 reviews are from the Maruzzella reviews archive.
- NEW FINDPhil50VIPDined on 5/23/2014My daughter just moved into the neighborhood. We picked Maruzzella at random from Open Table's list. We had a great meal. The food is delicious and reasonably priced. There is a very good wine list, with many bottles of quality wines under $50. The service was friendly and outstanding. It seemed like many of the diners were neighborhood regulars. The owner came over and introduced himself. He realized that we were first timers and made us feel very welcome. This will definitely be one of our regular restaurants on the Upper East Side.Special Features:
- Had a nice timeavvocatoDined on 5/10/2014This was my second time at Maruzzella. Each time I've had a very nice dining experience. I find the atmosphere nice but not over the top, the food very good, nice wine, and just a nice neighborhood experience.
- NolaVIPDined on 5/8/2014Great Italian food. I knew it when it had also been a pizzeria. The owner is Italian, and that's important to us. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Always a great meal....judiousshopperDined on 5/7/2014Maruzzella is a great meal in a good atmosphere with experienced, attentive service. I enjoy my meal everytime I've been there and this time was no different. Good quality food, prepared so that the food has exceptional flavor. I went with my neice and we enjoyed our meal in a relaxed fashion and were left to talk with no pressure to leave. Thank you, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Neighborhood GemChanteuseVIPDined on 5/1/2014We've eaten here many times and have always enjoyed it. Friendly, welcoming, good service-- and delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My go to spotEclecticgourmetVIPDined on 4/26/2014I love this little restaurant. It's generally relatively quiet. The food is excellent and the service really special. Price point is also a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCherylDined on 4/14/2014It was Passover and a monday night so it was not crowded and quiet. . We ordered 1/2 orders of pasta which was plenty. I had the gnocchi funghi which was amazing. I was sad when i finished it. Big chunks of mushrooms and an amazing sauce. My husband ordered the meat tortellini . The presentation was as wonderful as the taste. It seems to have been put under a flame to brown the top which was a nice change for tortellini and was a definite plus. We shared the sole special. With each bite we both commented how perfect it was cooked and again, delicious light sauce. The owner came over and spoke to us which was very nice also. I would definitly return and recommend this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb & Authentic Italian!Alyssa17Dined on 4/12/2014My parents have been coming since the 80's and recommended it to my boyfriend and I. The 2 of us came 2 weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed our meal! From the attentive staff who genuinely care whether you are enjoying your meal, to the outstanding menu and ambience of the place, we found our "spot" in NYC! We came again tonight with my parents to celebrate my birthday and once again, we left with filled stomachs and smiles on our faces. This is one of the few places in the city that cares about their customers and when you are at the restaurant, you feel this way. Nick, the owner, is full of life and friendly with every table, whether you are a regular or a newbie. I recommend Maruzzella to anyone who wants an exceptional italian meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An okay neighborhood restaurantLuluDined on 4/12/2014Staff is loud and boisterous so if your looking for quiet this is not the place . Seating is a bit cramped. Overall an okay placeSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Italian gemUESfoodieVIPDined on 3/4/2014My husband and I enjoyed a delicious dinner with two other couples. The food was excellent, the wine list was extensive and the wait staff was very attentive. We had an enjoyable evening and will definitely return again.Special Features:
- Another great mealMemiDined on 2/26/2014Our party of four enjoyed our meal from start to finish. The egg plant rollatini appetizer was especially delicious. The seafood rissota special was perfect., as was the tag. Pasta with shrimp and artichokes. World class! Food is consistently good here and our meal this week did not disappoint. Tiramisu is best we've ever had. Look forward to our return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Food in NYCscbcDined on 2/23/2014Great Menu ...My favorite the PAPPARDELLE ALL'OLIO DI TARTUFO BIANCO. The servers will make you feel like family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- casual and relaxedues1dinerDined on 2/21/2014very comfortable and neighborhoody. good place for sunday nite family dinner type place. midweek fall-in place moderate priced. very generous portions, good for 2 meals for average eater. not filled for a saturday nite in ny which was great since there were no problems getting a table. allows you time to sit and schmooze to your hearts content.Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/16/2014Great dinner,Fast and wonderful service. Portion could be a little bigger.Special Features:
- Great local restaurantBruceDined on 2/15/2014Ate here on a Saturday night during the snows and the food was really good. The Lobster Pasta was delicious and the ravioli my wife had was very filling. Ambiance is great, the owner made periodic rounds to solve any issues. Being from out-of-town, it was fun to hook-up with the places the locals eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant has gone downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014I used to love eating here but Sat night I ordered chicken sautéed with prosciutto and parmesan cheese and a caesar salad.The chicken came as 2 flimsy slices with a large piece of ham between the slices. I expected fine prosciutto yet this tasted like deli ham. The caesar salad was totally unremarkable without even a bit of shaved cheese on top as most restaurants serve it. Even the tartuffo I ordered for desert was missing the usual crushed almonds in the middle. The service was so apathetic. I will never eat at this place again.
- Awful pasta!Judy10021VIPDined on 1/4/2014This past Saturday I ordered a dish I've ordered many times and it was terrible. The orechiette with broccoli rabe and sausage. I know its fashionable these days to add some of the pasta water at the end to the dish, but this was just boiling water with pasta floating in it and very little sausage or broccoli rabe. I left over half of it and declined when I was asked it I wanted to take it home. I should have sent it back, but that always makes one's dinner partner uncomfortable and one never knows how the restaurant will respond. But it was inedible. The ambience of the place is still very nice and my dinner partner loved her lasagna.
- That was special treatmentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/31/2013It was amazing to find good food, which was nicely served at the regular prices on New Years Eve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-rate find on the UES.RussellDined on 12/27/2013I had no expectations, but was more than pleasantly surprised by my experience at Maruzzella. Upon arrival, I was shown to a window table. Service was prompt, friendly, and attentive. The food was well above average. In sum, an overall experience that was eminentlly repeatable. Go and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food GREAT SERVICE too noisyMartyDined on 11/22/2013This is a terrific restaurant except for the noise. The food is great and the wait staff is very good. I cannot understand why uncomfortable levels of noise are considered by open table to be energetic. When you dine with people you want to be able to speak with them without yelling. Open table should have a category called too noisy.Special Features:
- Food was very good, pastaBMSPDined on 11/22/2013Food was very good, pasta special was delicious, and wait staff were efficient and polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedbillDined on 11/16/2013We hadn't been there in 1-2 years, but their signature veal scallopini was not good at all and a simple pasta with tomato sauce for an 8 yr old child had terrible sauce. Fortunately we had ordered it on the side, so we were able to save the day with some butter and olive oil. We won't be back, and it's too bad---had been reliable for us for about ten years. Tough business, restaurants.
- Another great dinner!MemiDined on 11/15/2013We have become regular diners here because of the outstanding food and attentive service. Pasta specials always a great choice. Red snapper out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceMemiDined on 11/8/2013Pasta dishes are authentic and red snapper outstanding. Tiramisu and tartufo are with the trip ! Best we have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful staff and foodOpenTableDinerVIPDined on 11/3/2013We had a large group and from beginning to end, the staff was friendly, helpful and just perfect. Excellent food in a relaxed setting. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant eveningartchick2Dined on 10/24/2013had a nice time, good food, excellent wine, was glad that I'd suggested this restaurant for dinner with two friends who are based in Greenwich Village & have high standards. only problem (not unique to this restaurant) light so dim practically impossible to read the menu (waiter had to supply small flashlight)Special Features:
- Wonderful evening!Smin321VIPDined on 10/5/2013My parents came into town and we wanted to go to a nice Italian restaurant but not too sceney. I'd been before for my birthday - service & food was amazing and accommodating-even offered us champagne on house - thought it'd be a perfect place to go w parents. I was right! First wanted to sit outside but I was worried about getting chilly- the owner offered me his own jacket, we decided shortly after we would actually like to sit inside- not a problem, they helped transfer everything for. Food & service was continuously exquisite, the owner came over several times to ensure we were enjoying ourselves. I started with grilled calamari, then had fettuccine bolognese-- delicious!! The tiramisu was one of the best I've had. Great night!Special Features:
- MaruzellaMaruzellaVIPDined on 10/1/2013This is not my first time at this restaurant and as usual, the experience was great! We had a table outdoors which was perfect on a beautiful warm night. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was very attentive as always. Worth a try! and we will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early eaters eat alonepersonaDined on 9/26/2013If you are looking for a quiet pleasant unhurried ambience with very good foor and excellent service go to Maruzella. However, if on a weeknight you go before 8:30, you might be very much alone with your eating partner, in fact it at first seemed that no one would ever come and the place would soon have to close. Much to our surprise everything changed at about 8:30. Even with the restaurant full, the tables are well spaced and the acoustics kept down the noise. A very peaceful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful dinnerBarbieVIPDined on 9/24/2013We had a wonderful dinner there everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never had a bad meal there.MargueriteDined on 8/20/2013Marruzzella has been in our neighborhood since out kids were tiny (22 and 27 today). We have had most of the special occasions at this restaurant and I have never had a bad experience there. It is a solid, reliable place to have a most enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- We were 8 people. RequestedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/8/2013We were 8 people. Requested a round table and they did give us a round table. We were celebrating a birthday and we all had a really good meal and had great conversation and spent over 2 hours together. Lovely time, lovely place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Italian RestaurantYooperDined on 8/3/2013This is a spectacular restaurant with a neighborhood feel and world-class food and service. We had a wonderful dining experience here and would return anytime we are in the area. The service was friendly but very professional. Not a thing wrong with this great establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.