146 Paseo Del Pueblo Norte
Taos, NM 87571Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.martyrs-steakhouse.com/
- Phone: 5757513020x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: 2:30pm - 6:00pm
Sunday Brunch 10:00am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Gabriel Farkash
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: Choose from three elegant areas of our restaurant. Main dinning room, patio, Honey Locust bar or our historic back building. Please call our event coordinator Sophia Vander (575) 751-3020 for details about hosting your special event.
- Entertainment: During the month of October come visit us on Monday nights for Burger and Cab night, Tuesday nights we will have Tapas paired with select Spanish Wines and live music with Daniel Weston on our beautiful patio, October 15, 22, 29, and a “special Saturday night” October 19th. Finally on Thursday nights is our "Service Industry Night", where we will have special discounts to celebrate our fellow service industry locals in Taos.
A word from Martyrs Steakhouse
Martrys Steakhouse on Martyrs Lane offers steaks, seafood, wine and cocktails. Enjoy food or drink in our main dinning room, patio or our Honey Locust Bar. The building was built circa 1920's and boasts an old world feel to the era. Classically prepared and served in the heart of historic Taos, New Mexico.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Martyrs Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (17)great for outdoor dining (16)neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (11)romantic (9)notable wine list (6)good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Less Thank ExpectedTamDine99Dined on 10/17/2014Nice ambiance but quite noisy. Good drink selection. Not the best vegetarian selection. Can be quite busy. The food was good.Special Features:
- Incredibly disappointing eveningckwrites2Dined on 10/12/2014I eat here a lot, especially for lunch when my guests and I can enjoy the patio. This review is specific to dinner which my guest and I ate inside. If you haven't been, the rooms are lovely. The food was overly complex, it took forever for it to come to the table and the service was sub-par.Special Features:
- WJG1Dined on 10/11/2014The front door hostess was not very polite when we walked in. Our waiter was not very friendly giving the appearance that he wanted to be somewhere else. The NY strip steak was not even average quality, taste or tenderness. Our dining experience at Martyrs was certainly lack luster and the price point was too high for the meal and service received.
- YoungmDined on 10/7/2014Went for our anniversary. Staff was very attentive to our needs and we felt very welcome. Wife enjoyed tournedos, but porterhouse was surprisingly grisly - I expected a much more tender steak especially at that price. Next time will try a ribeye. Sides were great as was the calamari and desserts. Will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Martyrs in TaosnmelsieDined on 10/6/2014This was our second visit to Martyrs and this time we had friends with us. We all enjoyed our meals. The steaks were prepared perfectly to our tastes and the fish was outstanding. Our original wine choice wasn't available but the substitute was very nice. The service from both the hostess and our waiter was attentive and good natured. The restaurant itself is in a lovely old house and we always enjoy visiting here. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Taos.Special Features:
- Wait staff needs more trainingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014This was the second time we had dinner at the restaurant. The first time we had dinner there, our waiter was awesome. The waiter we had last Friday needs to be trained a little better. I requested the waiter the table next to us because the sun was beaming down on my sister-in-law's face. He told me that he didn't know if that table was reserved, but didn't ask the maitre if we can be moved. Needless to say, the same table we were requesting remained unoccupied the whole time we were there. Further, there was a lack of attention to our dining needs. We had to ask for bread, no water refills were done, we were not asked if we wanted to have desserts. I made reservations for the next night, but cancelled it due to poor service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhylDined on 9/27/2014Outstanding food, waitress was very friendly but not overly so, great ambiance as it's in an old restored adobe built in the 1920's - with period fixtures and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff over extendedAngelfire2Dined on 9/26/2014Service was slow and staff was unattentive. Not acceptable for a fine dining establishment Specifically: no silver ware , the bread was very late, the sauce for the 33 dollar steak was not brought with the course. The food was very good but for 225 dollars for dinner for two I expect much better wait staff
- DON'T GO THERE!JayceeVIPDined on 9/20/2014Had a reservation for Saturday, 9/20/2014. Arrived a little bit early and were seated right away. We ordered two glasses of wine and our meals. I ordered an appetizer (oysters) and my wife did not. It took about 15 minutes for the wine to be brought. The appetizer arrived roughly 25 minutes after the wine. We waited an additional 50-55 minutes and our entrees had not been brought. I spoke with the waitress multiple times and she finally sent over the (manager??). They kept assuring us that the food would be right out. After over an hour and a half of waiting we got up and left. Read the various reviews below and you will see that lousy service is a recurring theme at this place. I will never go back. Be prepared to wait!
- AveragemeatloverDined on 9/20/2014Had dinner here, just average food with high prices. Steaks not cooked to order, a lot of singing and conversation coming out of kitchen. The place seems to run on confusion. No one there seems to know what is going on. Runs haphazardly, should be better for the prices they charge. The owners aren't there and it shows. They own the Purple Sage Café in town that is run much better and the 2 Ace Hardware's, so they must know how to run a successful business but this place doesn't show it
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014Our waitress, Susan, was engaging, helpful, and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steakhouse ????DisappointedDined on 9/11/2014I had the ribeye ....listed at 12 ozs ...BUT it was on average 1/2 inch thick at best......(too thin for a $32 steak )...I ordered medium rare that was clearly defined on the menu.......the cut was uneven and as a result the thin half was medium well, while the thicker half was medium .....bottom line, pretty poor steak for the price.....my wife had prime rib which was tasty but also slightly over-cooked
- Best in TaosluvfinefoodDined on 8/18/2014My sister, Brother-in-law from Maryland and my nephew from Denver joined me and my husband Roger. We are all used to fine food and unanimously agreed that our meal was among the best we have ever had.Special Features:
- XXXXXXXXXXVIPDined on 8/17/2014A VERY ENJOYABLE EVENING THE STAFF WAS FRIENDLY AND EFFICIENT NEVER RUSHEDSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs help!unhappyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Good food, but the service is way under par for the type of restaurant it is and the price point it is at. Just not professional.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantAllinChrist413Dined on 8/13/2014My wife and I visited Martyr's for our 9th anniversary and loved the food, service, and ambiance. I would recommend to anyone who has the chance, to come try out Martyr's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KristyDined on 8/10/2014We had heard such good things about this restaurant. We were looking forward to enjoying a nice evening with good service and food. We got neither. The waitress was not at all friendly and didn't seem to want to be there. It took about 15 minutes after we ordered cocktails to get them. The calamari appetizer was delicious. My husband's Martyr's house salad was good. I ordered the lobster bisque but got crab bisque instead (which was the special). It was OK. My husbands filet was great, very tender and flavorful. My ribeye was tough and didn't have much flavor. We shared a berry crisp for dessert which was OK. Overall, very mediocre. We won't be returning.
- Taos GemFavoriteVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was our first time dining at Martyrs Steakhouse, and it was very good! I made the reservation on-line via OpenTable, but neglected to indicate that we wanted to dine on the patio. When we arrived, the hostess informed us that all of the patio tables had been reserved, and we would be sitting inside. I wasn't happy about this, but the waitress (Alicia) made it work out great! She was extremely attentive, and you could tell she enjoyed her job. My wife had the 8 oz. filet, and I had the seafood special which was grouper. Both were very good! I would definitely recommend dining at Martyrs Steakhouse when in Taos!Special Features:
- GabbyDined on 8/8/2014We had eaten lunch there 1 time. The food and waitstaff were great! Our dinner experience was overall great, with the exception of one entree The lamp chops were tough and non desirable. The boar,salmon and trout are delicious! The house is beautifully decorated and the bar area very handsome. We would probably dine there again and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Nice find!TomGDined on 7/27/2014Service was prompt and good. Food was presented well and tasty. The restaurant is right on a main street and a bit noisy if you sit outside.Special Features:
- Amazing!CookiebmeDined on 7/10/2014I can't say enough about how amazing this restaurant is! We took our wedding party there after the ceremony, and it was PERFECT! Everything was spectacular! The food was stellar, we ordered everything from the lobster bisque, cream of wild mushroom & beef trenderloin soup, prime rib, rib eye steak, and ruby trout to the berry crumble and creme brûlée. We had been worried about one of our guests being a vegetarian and the chef prepared a special vegetarian entre for her of fresh, local, organic vegetables that she raved about! Definitely don't miss out on the shiitake mushroom sauce if you have a chance! The staff was superb, friendly, attentative, without overstaying their welcome. We definitely won't wait for our anniversary to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Martyrs TaosOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014We arrived five minutes early for a 7:45 pm reservation for two people. After ten minutes we were told that we couldn't be seated yet because there were no menus. Finally we asked to be seated with the wine menu, and we choose two glasses of wine. It took 20 minutes for the wine to arrive. The waiter asked if we had decided on our meal and we informed him that we had still not received menus. This was the pattern all night. We were seated fifty minutes before any food was delivered, at which point the waiter wanted to bring the appetizer and salads at the same time. The mushroom appetizer was delicious, and the salads were very nice. The salmon was dry & overcooked, soft shell crab was good; the ribeye cooked to order but tough.Special Features:
- FriendlyJeanRDined on 7/5/2014Anthony our waiter was friendly and personable. We had a reservation and were seated in the bar, not why I make a reservation but Anthony made it worth it. Food hot and spaced perfectly. Visually pleasing and large portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good steak placeamoshobbsDined on 6/29/2014This place is a steakhouse. I was very good and I would eat there again. I liked it more than my wife did, but neither one of us thought is was memorable, just good solid steaks--way better than what we do at home. We did enjoy the atmosphere-very nice patio dining. Some traffic noise, but Taos is a quiet town as a rule so it was not a problem.Special Features:
- a bit of a disappointmentChezdugueDined on 6/26/2014We had a lovely table, however, the food (boar) was served cold... and when returned for a second time still cold. Made great leftover but not why we had visited Martyr'sSpecial Features:
- Nice night out in TaosIllinoistravelerVIPDined on 6/24/2014We were looking for a place for a nice dinner after a number of outdoor activities. This was a great place. Great food and service. We asked for a New Mexico wine and they pulled the last bottle out of the cellar that proved to be a very nice choice.Special Features:
- The following 68 reviews are from the Martyrs Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Terrible serviceFoodlvrDined on 6/15/2014We were nicely greeted on our lunch visit. We ordered mohitos which were made without mottling the mint. After a long wait we ordered omletes. Then, we waited over an hour for them to arrive. The omletes were good, not great. The potatoes served with them were tasteless and unappealing. We will not be going back there.
- First TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014Wonderful atmosphere and great new find. Staff was very conscientious and professional. Parking is problematic.Special Features:
- BettyBettyDined on 6/4/2014It was very warm that night (6/4) and the a/c should've been better. We each had salads and appetizers -avocado stuffed with crab and shrimp cocktail. Everything was good. Others' portions looked huge. We'd been tbere before, in the fall, and enjoyed it then, also.Special Features:
- Mother's Day last minuteGr8BeachRealtorVIPDined on 5/11/2014We were visiting in Taos, and at the last moment we decided to go out to dinner... On Mother's Day... I made a reservation... and we were going to be on the patio but the temperature dropped into the low 50's They were great... and we ended up at a high top in the beautiful bar.. fabulous food and service and we would probably ask for the bar area again... Wonderful remodeled Historic house.. Best service we have had in long time.. we will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedKitkatDined on 5/11/2014Have eaten here before and everything was perfect. The poor staff was overwhelmed, therefore the service was poor but polite. There was only one bartender who could hardly keep up with the bar orders or the orders from the dining room. The halibut was average and not very warm. The rice was dry and cold. My husband's meal was similar.
- Nice placeKCDaddyDined on 5/11/2014Even though it was Mother's Day, the service was very good. The server was very attentive. Although there was a small problem with our order, they took care of it immediately and took the item off the bill.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceDiserDined on 5/10/2014Had a Splurge Taos coupon to use. We'd eaten at Martyr's a few times before, but this was the best meal we've had there. Fish special was delicious, and according to my husband, was cooked perfectly. Lamb chops were also done perfectly. Our wonderful server told us they got the lamb from a local farm just up the road. We asked Elisha, our server, for a wine suggestion since we were having meat and fish. She was very helpful and took great care of us throughout the meal. We also shared a decadent chocolate dessert! We'll definitely return to Martyr's.Special Features:
- Amazing food & staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/4/2014This place is a gem! The steaks were amazing and the staff was top-notch. They don't normally do it, but when they told me they were known for their creme brulee', I asked about flaming it tableside. The executive chef came out and flamed all three tableside. Again, not normally done, but this staff is just that accommodating. I wholeheartedly recommend this place, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2014Having been to Martyr's on many occasions, I find that the wine and drink list is excellent, the ambiance inside and outdoors elegant, and the food for lunch very good. I have, however, found the dinner entrees have left me flat more than a couple of times. When I spend over $100 for dinner for two, I expect better flavor from the entrees. The sides are always excellent, the desserts are terrific, and the presentation and service is great. The food is good, not exceptional. That said, we always find going to Martyr's an experience to dress up for, and always look forward to treating ourselves to a night out at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Very good food and service! Pricey.RaveVIPDined on 4/23/2014It was a rather pricey surprise. Especially when the prices on the actual menus are higher than the prices featured online. They need to correct this misleading discrepancy.
- Great Easter Brunchgbauer86Dined on 4/20/2014Delicious Eggs Benedict and my wife loved her breakfast crescent sandwich. Great cocktails (after noon) and great outdoor seating! Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice Spring lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/8/2014Nice ambience. Service (Brenda) was excellent. Nicely priced lunch choices. Enjoyed everything - even the coffee was hot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/19/2014It was our first meal at Martyrs, and it was lovely. The specialty drinks are creative and delicious. The four of us got different meals and they were all cooked perfectly and tasty. Desserts were great, too. We determined we would make Martyrs a regular, since we are local.Special Features:
- Wonderful food!FlavorloverVIPDined on 3/2/2014The meats were excellent and the vegetables delicious!!!Special Features: