Martinis Above Fourth
3940 Fourth Ave.
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Martinis Above Fourth
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.martinisabovefourth.com/
- Phone: 6194004500
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Lite Bites Menu Only (No Reservations): 5:00 - 10:00pm Tuesday - Saturday - Dinner Menu: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen Bennett
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Monday - "Musical Mondays" Enjoy clips from your favorite movie and stage musicals projected on 9 screens throughout the bar, lounge and restaurant. Happy Hour pricing all evening. Thursday, Friday and Saturday - Live main stage entertainment presented from 7-11pm. Check out our current entertainment line-up at www.martinisabovefourth.com/entertainment.
- Special Events: Every Thursday evening, Martinis Above Fourth presents the MA4 CABARET SERIES with some of the finest entertainment acts from L.A. to New York. These are ticketed events and require an advance ticket purchase. Please visit our website at http://www.martinisabovefourth.com/entertainment-2/events/ for the full line-up of entertainment acts and to purchase tickets.
- Cross Street: Between University and Washington Streets
- Public Transit: Several bus routes stop on the corner of University St. and Fourth Ave. Check with San Diego MTA for detailed information.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking throughout Hillcrest is readily available. There are several pay lots adjacent to Martinis Above Fourth with parking starting as low as $2 per hour. Parking meters are also available on all of the surrounding streets and are free after 6pm and on holidays.
A word from Martinis Above Fourth
Located in the heart of Hillcrest, Martinis Above Fourth is an eclectic contemporary restaurant, lounge and bar featuring award-winning martinis and casual fine dining. Voted #1 Martini Bar in San Diego from Sign On San Diego, MA4 features over 100 specialty martinis, along with a wide selection of spirits, wine and beer. MA4's menu offers a broad selection of starters and entrees, from our famous in-house crab cakes to our blue cheese-stuffed filet. And don't miss the horseradish-infused au-gratin potatoes. Nightly entertainment is showcased on the main stage with performers spanning the entire musical spectrum from jazz to pop and everything in-between. Special cabaret performances are presented throughout each month with featured entertainers from L.A. and New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Martinis Above Fourth reviews from OpenTable diners
- Had a great time, MartinisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/28/2012Had a great time, Martinis & Food was delicous! Had problem with one over-cooked dish, but they fixed right away and were very apologetic Music and atmosphere was a lot of fun! Great exp overall!Special Features:
- We had a great time. Our waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2012We had a great time. Our waiter was a bit confussed. I think he said he usually works lunch/bar. Had to ask about specials, but considering it was the friday before christmas we were fine and enjoyed ourselves. Merry Christmas.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2012place was amazing, had a really good amibiance and mood. very energetic and went on a saturday night when they had the piano going. Created a very nice romantic yet energetic feel. Food was great, had the prime rib. Martinis were awesome and worth the price. Our server Federico was outstanding as well. Would def go back for a special occasion or even to try their happy hour.Special Features:
- Great Birthday PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012I had my birthday there with old friends and new friends. Everyone met each other and had a good time. One of the beauties of the drink menu is there is something for everyone. We also went on a night with music (Michael Sanchez). The music was a nice addition to the ambiance. This is a true San Diego gem.Special Features:
- Fun place for dinner celebrationsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/20/2012This is a favorite hangout for us. Good filet mignon as well as pastas and salads. Best warm bread served table side. And the cocktails are great. A super big menu of drinks, be careful they're strong! Fun atmosphere for a cabaret show or a birthday dinner.Special Features:
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/16/2012Loved the food, drinks and entertainment. We took guest and they all loved it! Great new menu....
- We had a great time. The martini'sdateniteDined on 10/20/2012We had a great time. The martini's are fabulous, and the ambiance and entertainment are great. I would definately go back when we visit San Diego again.Special Features:
- Wait staff and bartendersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2012Wait staff and bartenders do a magnificent job. My party was well taken care of and service was attentive. Great food, WARM PLATES! Nice ambiance. Definitely a hidden gem.Special Features:
- We absolutely loves this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/11/2012We absolutely loves this place. On Sat night David sanchez (sp?) plays piano and sings fantastic 40's, 50's music (think Michael Buble') and makes an incredible impression. The food is excellent and the crowd is fun. Really recommend this for a fun Sat night. This was our first time there and we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- MO4OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2012Fantastic waite staff, excellent food, very attentive staff. Always a pleasureable evening.Special Features:
- The martini list was off theKennethDined on 8/8/2012The martini list was off the chart. I dont particularly like martinis but my girlfriend lives them. I just had to have one....i was at a martini bar after all. And boy can i tell you im now a martini fan. Our wait staff couldnt have been more pleasant and attentive. This gem in the heart of Hillcrest is pretty amazing and I will definitely be going back, even just for drinks. Oh yeah, you must try the crab cakes.Special Features:
- Fantastic cabaret shows. IfOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2012Fantastic cabaret shows. If you can get tickets, be sure to catch one. Their entire lineup is online! And a very extensive martini list, hence the name...Special Features:
- A wonderful evening with friends.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012A wonderful evening with friends. Prime rib was excellent, the waiter was great - and oh the martini's - over 30 to choose from!! The entertainment on Saturday night was outstanding, not too loud, wonderful singer and 3 piece combo. A great find if you are looking for something a little different, supper club - music with dinner and drinks. Also, can't wait to try the happy hour Highly recommend.Special Features:
- We frequent the movies atOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2012We frequent the movies at Hillcrest theatre and are always looking for new dining experiences in the area. I found this place while searching Open Table. This place looked intriguing because of the martinis, the location and the menu. Unlike other diners, I found the service here to be exceptional. Our server was Adam. Thanks Adam! The martini menu was extensive and delicious. The food was good but not exceptional. I loved the Saturday night entertainment, Michael Sanchez. He is just my type of entertainer, playing well-loved standards in an enjoyable but not obtrusive manner. Overall, quite a wonderful evening.
- New owners are delightful...RickVIPDined on 7/18/2012New owners are delightful... must get kitchen and wait staff act together.. very slow, bad timing... food cold lethargic server and really could care less that we had poor service and food.... will be back in a month to see if there is improvement good luckSpecial Features:
- The best array of martinisepicurean4delightsDined on 7/6/2012The best array of martinis I've seen! Happy hour prices can't be beat.Special Features:
- I celebrated my 26th birthdayDinendine4Dined on 6/20/2012I celebrated my 26th birthday here and I had a great time. The service was great and everyone treated me like a queen. The drinks were great and the food was even better. The Mac and Cheese was BOMB!!! All my friends ordered something different and I tried each of them... everything was amazing. The happy hour prices were good which we enjoyed from their outside seating before taking our seats for dinner. I will definitely come back here again and tell all my friends!!!Special Features:
- Good food and great music.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/16/2012Great food and band. It had a bit of a criuiseship feel to it with the live music and atmosphere. The menu was just changed, go check it out. The hardest decision in not whether to go or not, it's which martini you are going to choose from.Special Features:
- We went there for our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2012We went there for our anniversary and had a fabulous time!Special Features:
- Great food, varied menu, knowledgeaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012Great food, varied menu, knowledgeable wait staff, great pianist/vocalist, Michael Sanchez. The flower arragement delivered promptly, fresh. Birthday dinner appreciatively received. Outstanding prime rib dinner, beautifully presented. 10 oz. martinis of all descriptions. Too full for dessert.Special Features:
- The food was great. The entertainmeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2012The food was great. The entertainment, Michael Sanchez, was fantastic. Our server, Topher, we never had to ask for anything. Our glasses were always full and he was always checking on us. Perfect!!!!Special Features:
- We were seated immediatelyJennyNVIPDined on 4/7/2012We were seated immediately but then a server didn't come to our table for 20 minutes. We had to ask the host who then sent someone over. He was very apologetic and said first drink was on him however we were charged for the drinks that we had so there wasn't any follow through on that. The food was average. Had it not been for the AWESOME pianist/singer the night would have been considered a bust.
- Had a great time but was aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/6/2012Had a great time but was a little disappointed with the service and the food. Ordered steak that was more fat than meat which was disappointing for $25. The martinis were very good but the server only showed up twice the entire evening after we flagged him down to get a refill on the cocktails. All in all, it's a good place to go for a martini but make sure you sit in Ian's section if you want prompt service. I would have expected better service having a $205 bill for a table of 3 for the night. Unfortunately, it didn't happen.Special Features:
- Wow(!) -- what a marvelouslskesq95VIPDined on 3/24/2012Wow(!) -- what a marvelous place! Everything that arrived at our table was absolutely fantastic. Wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive. Owners were so warm and inviting. We were so impressed with the atmosphere, entertainment, food quality, service, attentiveness of owners. We are so looking forward to going back; great, great place. (Times 2 -- my husband agrees, word for word!)Special Features:
- Great overall experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2012Great overall experience. Very good food. The best Manhattan in San Diego!Special Features:
- This is my new favorite spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/29/2012This is my new favorite spot. I had roast duck with a blackberry glaze, garlic mashed potatoes, and fresh green beans. Yum. I also had the chef's signature dish, sambucca shrimp. The duck was perfectly cooked and the shrimp had outstanding flavor. And of course I had a martini...Otter Pop I think it was called and it was just like an adult otter pop :) Highly recommend for happy hour or a nice dinner out.Special Features:
- Love the food and martinis!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/17/2012Love the food and martinis! Definitely one of our fave restaurants.Special Features:
- Martinis for romantic eveningSchmooVIPDined on 2/14/2012Servers got a little confused about orders and things came out a bit off schedule but overall it was great music, friendly hosts and servers, great music and food.