22 East 100 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84111Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.martinecafe.com/
- Phone: 8013639328
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner:Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tom Grant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Martine Cafe has partnered with Blended Table Catering & Events for 18 years.
Fresh imaginative cuisine is the centerpiece of our company. Our seasonal menus offer a wide array of choices that are uniquely flavorful, visually exciting and memorable. We’re constantly searching out new flavors and cooking methods in our travels. The results of these "gourmet adventures" invariably influence our menus and our approach to presentation. Visit their website @ www.lortshervlasic.com
- Cross Street: Main Street
- Public Transit: The Trax train will drop you off a half a block from our restaurant. It is free within some of the downtown area along with the bus service. This is very convenient if you need to take it to an event in the area.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Free valet parking is available from 5:00 until closing directly in front of our restaurant. We have several parking options. Some are more accommodating than others.
If you prefer to park yourself, Regent Street parking is available around the corner on Regent st. and is $1.00 an hour & credit card only. Parking is free on the streets after 6 PM.
A word from Martine Cafe
Martine Cafe offers a Contemporary American menu with influences from North Africa, Spain & Provence. A Euro style dining experience with new world tapas & international wines & spirits nestled in an historic brownstone in downtown Salt Lake City. Zagat Survey listed us as "best, most unique and innovative cooking in town,' plus there's an 'imaginative wine list' to boot.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Martine Cafe - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Martine Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (20)special occasion (20)romantic (16)neighborhood gem (14)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (6)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Best Dine-o-round restaurantletseatoutDined on 9/12/2014Martine Cafe has been our restaurant of choice for many years, hands down, all year long. It's always the first place we go during Dine-o-round because it embraces the promotion 100%. You don't need to ask for the special menu, as is the case in many restaurants, which can be off-putting. But the banging from the construction going on next door right now (Sept.., 2014) is earth-shattering and extremely annoying, especially at tables near the outside wall. I suggest asking for the quietest table available when making reservations. Our waitress was rather confused about the menu on our visit last week, but eventually got things right. The food was exceptional as always. Great flavors and textures. Despite a few unusual flaws, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Martine, wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014I love Martine...have for years. Great food, greater wine list, awesome service. Tom Grant (and staff) create a wonderful dining experience. The icing on the cake is the new renovations.Special Features:
- Should Have Walked OutBabettoDined on 9/4/2014The noise level of the construction going on next door was off the charts. The silverware was literally vibrating. Based on other reviews decided to try and overlook the insane noise, but in the end it was not worth it. The food was a B- at best and overpriced. Would not recommend.
- One of my favoritesTGIFpastaofthedayDined on 8/29/2014I have been frequenting Martines for many years during lunch hour. It is one of my favorite lunch spots because of the quality of their food and the quite sophistication atmosphere and decor. My favorite dish is Friday's pasta of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Gem DowntownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Everything was perfect for our 24th wedding anniversary from the valet parking to the quiet private booth.. Our waiter was great, knowledgeable and friendly. We'd heard that is was very expensive but found it to be very reasonable and the food was great. We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Incredible serviceWSandersonDined on 8/13/2014We went to Martine to celebrate a birthday with dinner and the service was great from the minute we walked in the door. Our server was respectful of our time and giving us enough of it to settle in and look over the menu. When one of our party asked for butter to go with the bread and started to explain why, our server politely stopped him and said it didn't matter why he wanted it, only that he did and would bring it out. The food was delicious as usual too! The only detraction was the construction going on next door for the new performing arts center - they were driving piles and it shook the whole building. Thankfully, they stopped after about 15 minutes of us arriving. Overall it was a great night out.
- Great way to start a vacationNiceoneDined on 8/8/2014If you want a meal which is of high quality served in comfortable surroundings with staff who are attentive, knowledgable and engaging, this is a great place to eat. The wine choice was excellent and the staff were well informed about the foods and wines on offer. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingShelTVIPDined on 8/6/2014We have always considered Martine's one of the mainstays in SLC. Our food was very disappointing on our most recent visit. Flavors were not interesting and dishes were flat. We kept trying different tapas thinking one would be a hit but left getting blanked. Four separate dishes and all left us wanting something real, flavorful or interesting. The server seemed comatose and lacked any ability to offer suggestions or interact with us in any meaningful way. Overall, not the experience that we remember or hoped for. Probably will be our last visit - there are so many more fulfilling places to dine. Sorry, I don't usually leave negative reviews but this was so disappointing.
- Wonderful!!EatsRGoodDined on 6/10/2014Martine's is Wonderful!! The service was great. We were seated promptly and immediately brought our drinks and the menu. Our glasses were never empty. I had the Prosciutto wrapped asparagus tapas and the Lamb and parsnip entree. Everything was delicious!! I couldn't not stop saying MMmmmm. It happened after every bite. The meat was cooked to order perfectly; the seasoning was spot on and the vegetables were perfectly crunchy; not overcooked. The atmosphere is very relaxed and lends itself perfectly to a nice evening out. The food is a bit more pricey than an average family restaurant but not so much that it is not affordable. If I could, I would eat there every week; lunch or dinner. Absolutely Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LazyCDined on 6/6/2014Food was wonderful. Our server was great and made a wonderful wine recommendation. But the table next to us was vary rude.Special Features:
- Great find in Salt LakeFANTASTICDined on 6/6/2014We were looking for something special for dinner on our last night in Salt Lake and boy did we find it. The TAPAs are fantastic, and the manages special was out of this world. They also have a great wine list.Special Features:
- Room to spareimpressive2usDined on 6/3/2014Service was good, food was very good. There's a nice New York feel to the restaurant. But portions were silly-small. Entree item on the 3-course special was actually also on the "small plate" menu. Great place for romantic dinner, but you'll be eating light.Special Features:
- short menu prepared perfectlyRubyMtnGeoDined on 5/30/2014The menu consists of several tapas and small plates with a few entrees. All of the dishes we had were excellent. The service was very attentive. We were there on a Friday night but there were not very many customers. The wait staff seated the multiple couples throughout the smallish dining rooms to insure privacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014The food was impeccable and the server was very attentive! Even with all of the construction going on around the restaurant, inside it was quiet and relaxing! A great place to spend just having dinner for a fun night out or for any celebration! Martine has a great wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as usualAmandaSLCDined on 5/28/2014Went to Martine for our anniversary. The service was phenomenal, the food was amazing and the dessert was even better. If you go, save room for dessert and get the baked gingerbread!Special Features:
- Just for the HalibutcalkiddinerDined on 5/27/2014Very nice halibut wrapped in grape leaf dish served with just right spiced vegetable ragu....the lamb kibbie small plate was also excellent. This was my 7th visit to Martine and each time has been a win. would like to see wine list a bit stronger the food would benefit from more Rhone Varietal parings and a broader pallet selection of Pinot Noir.Special Features:
- lovely lovelyluvgoodfoodDined on 5/24/2014great vibe in this old brownstone. feels very new york food is always good didnt care for fried escargot and they cheerfully exchanged alan is great waiter i am never disappointed here menu is inventiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 354 reviews are from the Martine Cafe reviews archive.
- Visit to Salt LakeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/17/2014We wanted to have a quiet enjoyable meeting dinner with team members, the restaurant was not that busy but very well run, great decor & attention to detail. Our waiter Alan was from the time he greeted us to he presented the bill extremely attentive , knowledgeable about both food & wine. Our party complemented on many of the dishes being some of the best ever eaten. There was a great deal of flexibility in how the food was prepared & what accompanied it. The group was very picky & any request was no problem. Our complements go out to both waiter & chef for an outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentsuperDined on 5/10/2014choices, cooking, are both both super........it's an institution in salt lakeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NatwickDined on 5/9/2014Martine has wonderfully prepared food, not over complicated but very well seasoned and cooked properly with a wide range of flavors. We agreed that this time our desserts were the best part of the meal, the gingerbread dessert is especially wonderful so make sure to save some room.Special Features:
- Love the French Onion SoupFinickyAgapanthusDined on 4/30/2014As always, the French Onion soup is the reason I go here! The pasta of the day could have been spectaular, it had good ingredients. But it was under-seasoned, and there was no salt or pepper on the table to assist. Went with a group of 6 people, and it took a bit longer than it should have to make 4 sandwiches and two salads with a soup. I like this place, and will keep coming back, but a little attention to detail wouldn't go amiss.Special Features:
- great dinner and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/28/2014We had a great meal at Martine. The food was excellent and so was the service. Delicious food and wine! I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Third time not a charm!hylasgirlDined on 4/25/2014Gave the place a third and final try. I will not be back. Their service is horrible and my steak, sold as a filet mignon, was certainly not.
- Delicious!JPOSODined on 4/25/2014If you get a chance, do NOT miss the tomato ricotta soup. And the duck leg was so tender it fell off the bone!Special Features:
- Bring your confirmationHeberiteDined on 4/25/2014Overall a terrific experience. Great food, lovely space, and the server was very attentive. The one flaw is that they had trouble locating my open table reservation. Not a big deal because they had space when we arrived but it could have been a disaster. Luckily I had the reservation confirmation on my phone and eventually they did locate it in their computer.Special Features:
- Gem in SLCProaudiodudeDined on 4/22/2014Found Martine on Yelp and booked via opentable. Upon arrival we were the only folks present. Kind of a poor weather night in Salt Lake that evening keeping everyone home. Very friendly staff and very cool vibe in this place. Try the blood orange rita, very tasty and was our servers creation. Started with the stuffed green lip mussels...about as good as it gets there. Creminelli prosciutto was the other tapas we tried and was very good as well. Braised duck leg for the entree and was prepared perfectly. I must admit, I am always impressed by the "locals" eat scene every time I am in SLC. Living in Las Vegas sets the food bar pretty high and SLC has always delivered. I was happy to find Martine and will indeed be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!AnnieGDined on 4/19/2014The food here was to die for! Everything was prepared wonderfully and was delicious! I especially enjoyed the escargot. The grilled gingerbread was pretty great as well. Definitely will be going back.Special Features:
- Romantic diningluvfood7Dined on 4/19/2014Reservations recommended. This is our second visit to Martine's. The first time we came with a group of friends and had a great time. This past time it was my husband and I for pre ballet dining. Either way, one should "suit up", because it is a fine dining experience. The food was amazing and they were very good about catering to my gluten free diet. You can choose your meal tapas as well. Our waiter was knowledgable about the wines and how they paired with the food. His recommendations were excellent. There is valet parking they don't charge for (tip tho). You can leave your car there til 10 p.m. Ask for more details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Salt Lake City restaurantrichardDined on 4/5/2014Interesting menu, good food, and pleasant staff. We have returned many times. Roast duck, rare, is my favorite.Special Features:
- Friendly Staff and AccommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/1/2014We had a reservation for 6 which turned into 10 and the additional guests arrived about 45 min after us. The food was seasoned to bring out a balanced flavor. The menu offered many choices. We would return again should we have another conference in Salt Lake City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting Cuisine, Great ServicejacksonjohnDined on 3/28/2014I choose a series of tapas rather than an entree and was very satisfied. My waiter was excellent, offering informed opinions and good suggestions whenever I asked for them. I felt that some of the dishes could have been prepared with a little more boldness. For example, the "Pan Seared Brussels Sprouts" weren't really seared, and the "Grilled Gingerbread" dessert didn't really seem grilled (I'd imagined a big slab of fresh gingerbread with with the aroma of the grill and char marks across it - what I got was more tame than that).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place to have a pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/25/2014A place to have a pleasant conversation with entertaining food. The service was provided by a lovely intelligent woman.Special Features:
- Very nicevandcDined on 3/22/2014Food was delicious, waiter was efficient, nice and knowledgeable. We will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedhylasgirlDined on 3/22/2014I've eaten here twice in the last two weeks and both visits were disappointing. Most of the problems are due to bad service. There is little room to leave a detailed experience, so the management/owner is welcome to contact me since I typed it all out and my message was too long. Long story short, this place is far too expensive to not serve perfect food with perfect service. Period. Try a different restaurant would be my recommendation until this place steps up it's service and product. And it's apparent they've lost it a bit because the place has been dead both Saturdays I have visited.
- My experience at Martine hasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/18/2014My experience at Martine has always been outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Martine has continually deliveredccdslcdinerDined on 3/15/2014Martine has continually delivered on a high quality and imaginitive menu, coupled with very good service and at a fair price. The atmoshpere in the converted turn of the century bank building is quite comfortable -- nearly replicating the feel of dining in an old NY brownstone. I regularly entertain both business and personal guests at Martine. The upstairs dining area provides a terrific private group setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great evening!eat2liveVIPDined on 3/7/2014It is rare to give a dining experience such high marks because something could always be better but our dinner for two at Martine was a perfect evening. Our server, Alan, could not have been more on top of his game. We brought in a wine from our cellar that required great care in opening and serving and he handled it perfectly. He knew the menu and his recommendations were in-line with our wine and our tastes. We booked through Open Table and requested a window and they accommodated our request. From appetizer to tapa to entrée the food was excellent and the service was attentive and timely. We had the Duck and the Steak and each was prepared to our specifications. We will surely return in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastico!patina801VIPDined on 3/4/2014I brought some very 'food savvy' friends in from out of town. They were so impressed with the quality and variety of the menu. They were even more impressed with the wine list. Martine Cafe is always a'go to' when wanting to impress. The food is remarkable and the service is very efficient and the staff knowledgeable. I will be back when I need to entertain my VIP's from out of town.Special Features:
- Nice Meal but service only fairseekinggreatfoodVIPDined on 2/28/2014The roasted pear with duck confit and blue cheese was a perfect appetizer. The lamb cassoulet warmed us on a cold evening. Olives to the table were a nice touch. The service was lackluster. Our server really could not describe the dishes and just made up the ingredients as he went. This was quite disappointing and so unnecessary for a simple menu. He never mentioned the specials at all so we were unaware of them until we were leaving the restaurant. Perhaps a handout would help this issue. We would still recommend Martine and hope you get a better server.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The low key atmosphere isrichardDined on 2/28/2014The low key atmosphere is conducive to dining with others and being able to converse. The food is good, though sometime the combinations do not appeal to me. Very convenient to downtown events--abravanel and Capital theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.