630 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.marseillenyc.com/
- Phone: 2123332323
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5pm - 12:00am, Sunday - Tuesday: 5pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Andy D'Amico
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Marseille
Marseille is a casual Southern French restaurant with Mediterranean influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marseille reviews from OpenTable diners
366 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (185)fit for foodies (135)great for brunch (99)great for lunch (92)good for groups (87)special occasion (79)notable wine list (71)romantic (60)late-night find (48)great for outdoor dining (38)vibrant bar scene (32)hot spot (26)kid-friendly (18)scenic view (7)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/28/2014For the Theatre District fine. Nothing outstanding.
- A new York GemSandiVIPDined on 10/26/2014We've eaten there a few times during various visits to NY and have never been disappointed. It is one of the few restaurants (that we've been able to find) that offers quality food at a reasonable price. $38 for a 3 course dinner (albeit limited choices) is quite a deal for New York. This trip we had the hanger steak and the lamb chops, plus shared a fabulous tuna tartar appetizer, and found nothing to complain about. The meat was cooked to order and was flavored perfectly. The service was just fine ... who expects overly friendly witers in New York. all in all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Marseille to anyone who seeks good food without being gouged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014It's a regular for me - and often bring people from out of town here. The atmosphere is fabulous.Special Features:
- terryoDined on 10/26/2014Too noisy. Menu diverse and food delicious. Prices a bit high. We always go for brunch when we are in NYC on a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old favoriteSabrinaDined on 10/25/2014I always enjoy the food and ambiance at Marseille. It has a warm, old world feel. The food is fantastic. I have enjoyed eating and drinking at the bar there too. It's truly a French Bistro in the most classical sense. It's great pre or post theater too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For lovers of food - and noisecarolwDined on 10/25/2014I enjoy the food, but the indoor space is VERY noisy. I love eating at Marseilles during the warm months when it's possible to eat outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pre-theatre brunchLondynGirlDined on 10/25/2014The food was delicious. We had a frittata and the pain perdu with mushroom ragu. The service was prompt and friendly. We didn't feel rushed at all, even though our reservation wasn't until 12:15 (for a 2pm show).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunchfrancisDined on 10/25/2014Thank you, Marseille, for a wonderful brunch before a matinee. Quick, easy service. Yummy food and great coffee. Thank for you being relatively inexpensive too!Special Features:
- A night on West 48 street.nyny2574Dined on 10/24/2014All in all we had a great time at Marseille. try their cream brulee, and virgin apple cider sangria,so awesome.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/23/2014Marseilles has great food for pre-theater but allow plenty of time for slow service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marseille was wonderful!lezeat2dayDined on 10/22/2014Took my mom for her birthday dinner there. Very friendly and attentive wait staff and a wonderful Prix Fixe Menu ($38). Had Escargot, Monkfish, & a Fig-Caramel Bread Pudding. Excellent value and wonderful ambiance. I will certainly go back!Special Features:
- Loved it againTablehopperDined on 10/22/2014My husband and I have been here several times, brought "foodies" with us this time pre-theater, and they can't wait to come back! It was great again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love MarseillesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2014as frequent diners at Marseilles, once again we were not disappointed! Whether an intimate dinner or a large group, we always have delicious food and great service. The room is cozy, yet spacious - and one is able to converse without raising one's voice. The food is wonderful. Always something new, yet the regular menu is seductive - "what on earth to have tonight, everything loks so good!". Attentive service, but not hovering. A wine list to die for.Special Features:
- Lois RothburdtennisnutDined on 10/19/2014The restaurant had a pleasant atmosphere, the noise level was not annoying, the food and service were very good. I would come to Marseille again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchfoodiefanDined on 10/19/2014Had a great pre-theater brunch. The food was fantastic and the mimosas were delightful as well albeit pricey. Would highly recommend this restaurant for brunch.Special Features:
- Great Spot for BrunchCla261VIPDined on 10/18/2014This one hits the mark. Food, service and ease in making a reservation. I will def. go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Times Square French BistroJohnDined on 10/17/2014Everyone in my party liked the food, service and atmosphere. There used to be more French bistros in the Times Square area but they're gone. Marseille offers a good meal at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the top of the line but...FoodwomanVIPDined on 10/16/2014Some food is good (the short rib bourguignon) but the bouillabaisse, abundant, with fish was strange tasting after a bite or two. I have never liked the rounded booths despite the joy of distance between tables. In short, food, service, place are okay but not first rate. It is not seriously food oriented.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turist trap !CappyDined on 10/16/2014High price food bland as they try to rush you out . Onion soup had no taste and almost no cheese! Much better French restaurant in areaSpecial Features:
- French bread unavailable ???hammerDined on 10/16/2014Disappointed ...no French bread...pretzel and olive bread...what's that about. escargots void of garlic had 2 that was enough creme brule good hanger steak great rub on it...will continue to go to Nice MatinSpecial Features:
- good pre-theter spot to dinedlk1947VIPDined on 10/15/2014Four us dined before the theater. My beef burgundy was nothing particular. two pieces of short rib beef off the bone with a mall amount of mashed potatoes and a cubed vegetable. Previous visits had me eating mussels and they were preferable to the meal I had on 10-15.Special Features:
- CaringBabsDined on 10/15/2014Customer service excellent to the point of nice fussiness!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisiteajd309Dined on 10/14/2014Felt like a trip to France. I would take any health conscious diners here, as the food is all wholesome, veggie-centric, and absolutely delicious! Any place that serves grilled octopus is on my restaurant map. Very fresh meats and seafood. I highly recommend Le Pomplemousse cocktail for grapefruit goodness; could've easily drank three.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxing end to the daymorewinepleaseDined on 10/12/2014Lovely decor, fun architecture, comfortable tables. Service was fast and efficient without being overly personal (just the way we like it). Octopus app. was outstanding and we enjoyed a wonderfully fresh salad. Hangar Steak Au Poivre was MR instead of M but that was not the end of the world because it still tasted delicious. My wife had the Monkfish and gave it a 3.5 out of 5. Overall, a wonderful end to our busy day of shopping and enjoying the sites. One wish is for more wine options under $100. Lots of great wine to choose from between $100-$2900, which is nice for a four or five star place, but my $25 Hangar steak entree didn't warrant that kind of investment. The $75 Pinot Noir that I ordered was unfortunately mediocre at best.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014Marseilles consistently delivers top-notch food with excellent service, at a very fair price.Special Features:
- A Pleasant SurpriseIrisDined on 10/12/2014It was my first experience at Marseille. The food and its presentation was excellent. I definitely will keep it on my TO RETURN list.Special Features:
- nice brunch placegoodfoodDined on 10/12/2014atmospheric..delicious breads put on table..reasonable for theater district definitely a good choice to visit!Special Features:
- Nice servicenewyorkvisitorDined on 10/10/2014Had not been to Marseille in a number of years. was the same as remembered. a little noisy but fine after the show crowd for a later dinner.Special Features:
- What I hoped forPhilVIPDined on 10/10/2014On a recent visit to NYC, my wife and I wanted to try another leg on the Tour de France. Marseille was an excellent choice. There was a reasonable wine-by-the-glass selection. We started with the shrimp beignet. The 6 beignets were done perfectly with excellent flavor. The Fall salad was kale based with a nice balance of crunch from the almonds, and sweetened by dried cherries. My wife had the chicken under the brick. Superbly prepared, so tender. I had the bouillabaisse. It was rich and flavorful with shrimp, fish, and mussels. We finished the meal with the pumpkin cheesecake. It was excellent.Special Features:
- boothbayVIPDined on 10/8/2014Enjoyed lunch at this French bistro in the Theater District. Menu has light lunches (salads, omelets, etc) as well as traditional French fare of mussels, bouillabaisse, and even hamburgers. Enjoyed the ham and gruyere omelet which came with great French fries and salad. The shrimp beignets were delicious. They also have a nice prix fixe menu. One of our favorites in the Theater District.Special Features:
- Marseilles perfectionLeeyannDined on 10/5/2014I have eaten at this restaurant several times- great service, wonderful menu. Good cooked to perfection. Very interesting use of herbs and spices. A real find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ladonnaDined on 10/5/2014Great food. Convenient to the Theatre District and to Penn Station. Noise level was energetic but the 4 of us had no trouble hearing each other. A find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- devilsfanDined on 10/4/2014Enjoyed the whole experience. From the atmosphere, wine, food and Service. Was a great spot before the show.Special Features:
- Excellent !KhsmithDined on 10/4/2014We had a great time with great food and service. Will definitely go back next time we're in NYCSpecial Features:
- Lovely!dinnertheaterDined on 10/3/2014Had a wonderful time at Marseille. Not only was the food exceptional and the service terrific but they were kind enough to hold our reservation as we were stuck in traffic. Their policy is that as long as you call and let them know you are late they will hold the table...not an easy find in Manhattan! It was a wonderful dinner!Special Features:
- Reliable pre-theatre venueNeighborDined on 10/3/2014Always very nice food, fast service and fun energetic room for a pre-theatre date. On our most recent visit the tuna in the salad nicoise was deliciously rare and the salad itself ample. The monkfish entrée on the other hand, while tasty enough, was minuscule in comparison and more suitable as an appetizer. Our pleasant waiter was handling tables both inside and on the sidewalk, so perhaps that is why he forgot the second round of drinks we ordered. Nevertheless, we had a nice meal and a good time, and made it to the theater in plenty of time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/1/2014The food was good but not worth the price. The drinks are way too expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre show favorite spotBlema24Dined on 10/1/2014I love going tomarseilles whenever I have theater plans. They are always welcoming.and accommodating with any requests. The food is delicious and I always get out on time for the show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch before showOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2014My group of 4 ate here for lunch before show on a Wednesday, chosen primarily for location (close to theatre) and appealing photos of food and restaurant . We were not disappointed. Everyone raved about the food, chicken, salmon , and my vegetable dish were fabulous, along with soup(vegetable-awesome!)and salad. The acai cosmos were a treat!! The waiter was charming and timely, never felt rushed however we received our courses with plenty of time for the show. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerluv76dineDined on 9/30/2014We've eaten at Marseille many times and it's always a winner, good food, good service, nice ambiance and doesn't break the bank for a nice night out.Special Features: