630 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.marseillenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 333-2323
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5pm - 12:00am, Sunday - Tuesday: 5pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Andy D'Amico
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Marseille
Marseille is a casual Southern French restaurant with Mediterranean influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marseille reviews from OpenTable diners
385 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (194)fit for foodies (146)great for brunch (105)great for lunch (104)good for groups (91)special occasion (87)notable wine list (77)romantic (77)late-night find (51)great for outdoor dining (36)vibrant bar scene (35)hot spot (31)kid-friendly (20)scenic view (6)Show More
- receptiongretchenVIPDined on 11/18/2014This has always been one of my favorites, but on this visit my friends & I - arriving separately - noted the chilly reception, and then service, which we've not encountered before. Whassup, Marseilles???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great locationRonamarkDined on 11/16/2014We had a delicious meal at a fair price in the theater district. The pre fixe was a bargain at $38. We sampled the onion soup, escargot and the egg/squash appetizers. All were very good and more then ample. The hanger steak and monk fish were flavorful and artfully presented. The staff was helpful. Desserts selections were diverse and plentiful. The venue is very noisy when full and the service suffered. Good restaurant was very good but there is room for improvement .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Marseilleredbank100jckDined on 11/15/2014Marseille evokes the feeling of a French bistro. The decor is charming and appealing. The service was friendly and efficient. It was a little bit noisy at times, but not excessively so for a Saturday evening. I'm vegetarian, and vegetarian entrees are frequently substandard in many restaurants. The vegetarian tagine at Marseille, however, was delicious: the couscous was cooked perfectly, the texture just right, and the vegetables were deliciously prepared with lemon and spices. My dining companion had the tortelloni, which she also enjoyed. She felt the wine selection was a bit pricey, but I don't think it was out of line for NYC. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place in Times Squaremanger123VIPDined on 11/15/2014Pre-theatre this place cannot be beat. The food is over the top wonderful, the choice extensive--the cookie plate dessert is ideal for two--they know to get you in and out for theatre, the prices more than fair. Make sure to reserve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect lunchdiningloverVIPDined on 11/14/2014great menu choice attentive service. food was delicious and priced reasonably. can't ask for more at lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner; located near the theaters.bsbzeDined on 11/13/2014Outstanding! Great restaurant near the theaters. Excellent service and food. Great wine list. Don't miss the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/12/2014This our go to place for theater. Food is always good and the service. Is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!!RBB2Dined on 11/11/2014Everything on the menu is delicious, and not too expensive for the quality. Great place for a date or meal after a show.Special Features:
- Viva la franceBillVIPDined on 11/9/2014I've been here maybe 20 years ago. Get there little early but had to wait OK. Started with a lovely kir so nice with the black cassis. Then the scrumptious bread basket with a delicious raspberry marmalade. Had the Moroccan omelet with olives, feta, some spicy sauce and nice and light. Decided to go for dessert, an almond like tart/frangipane cake with mango ice cream .I enjoyed everything immensely. Somewhat stupefied by the second kir which I was sure I did not order. I thought it was my BDay present oh well obviously not.Special Features:
- Getting a Little StalePhilVIPDined on 11/9/2014I have frequented Marseille often but I have to say that it is getting a little boring......the menu really needs to be updated.Special Features:
- BaseballfanDined on 11/9/2014We were a group of four and arrived 20 minutes early. The staff seated us right away. The waitress was very attentive and allowed us all thwe time we needed to decide what to order. The food was excellent, including the dessert we shared. I would eat there anytime we are back in New York. BaseballfanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Keep a Reservationpm16VIPDined on 11/8/2014We made a reservation for four at 6:00 pm before going to a show at 8:00 pm. We did not end up getting a table until 6:45 pm and had to rush through dinner to make it to the show on time. The food here is very good, but it's hard to enjoy when you're in such a rush.I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch at MarseillePamRVIPDined on 11/8/2014This is my favorite restaurant for brunch/lunch in NYC. I had the asparagus/goat cheese omelet as usual and it was as tasty as always. It comes with roasted potatoes, and a fresh mixed green salad. My friend had the eggs benedict and thought it was fabulous. It was his first time and we will both definitely be back!Special Features:
- BarbaraBT13Dined on 11/8/2014My favorite place to eat whenever in NYC. One of New Yorks finer restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodLuisVIPDined on 11/6/2014We were in for post-theatre dinner. Drinks always good, even if after my first drink they ran out of St. Germaine... My alternative Cosmo was also fabulous anyway. Great and creative appetizers, and consistently good entrees. Service was good, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavours, extensive wine listBuckmeisterDined on 11/5/2014The cuisine is French food with some Mediterranean influences. The food was very flavourful and presented attractively. The wine list was more like a catalogue - very extensive but could have used more selections by the glass. There was also a good variety of beers. The restaurant's interior is quite charming, meant to evoke the feel of a French bistro, and would be a good place for a romantic date. My only criticism would be that I found the room rather noisy. But overall we enjoyed our visit, and given its proximity to New York's Theater District, it would be a good choice for a pre-show dinner.Special Features:
- Loved ItKateDined on 11/5/2014Great theater area option! Food was delicious and the service was EXCELLENT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsavivab4Dined on 11/5/2014Our favorite in mid-town Manhattan. Almost always go there before a Broadway matinee. Love the cherry Manhattan.Special Features:
- Used to be...srl56Dined on 11/4/2014a great choice for pre-theater and a nice spot in the neighborhood. They had classic bistro fare and an interesting wine list with some unusual selections. But I was terribly disappointed with my most recent visit. I ordered a lamb tagine, but instead of a stew with an interesting combination of spice and fruit, I got a dry piece of lamb shank with a side of couscous. Not even close to what I ordered. And the wine list seems to have morphed into an ego exercise, with too many $100+ bottles that don't coordinate with the menu pricing at all. $600 bottles at a neighborhood bistro? There are too few approachable bottles. One gets the impression that the restaurant has lost its bearings. Very disappointing for an old favorite.Special Features:
- A great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Everything we ate was divine! My husband had the lamb and I had French onion soup. The wine list as something for every price range. We loved the desserts, we had the Crème brûlée and fig bread pudding. Those were amazing, but the fig bread pudding was the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was PerfectPPhilyGuyDined on 11/2/2014We chose Marseille for pre-matinee Sunday brunch. Just a short wait for our reservation time - the place was abuzz. It was obvious that this place was a favorite for many of the patrons. Unfettered and comfortable. The brunch menu was not extensive, but there was a good option for just about anything you would want for brunch. We had two cocktails, the Moroccan Omelette and the Crab Salad, and then shared the chocolate caramel mousse (with chocolate ice cream) for dessert. Every bite was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceDanutaDined on 11/2/2014The proximity of marseille's to the theater district makes it a great place to meet friends before going to a show. The service is excellent and the food delicious. We never feel rushed. The restaurant can be noisy, but most tables allow for private conversation. It's a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chocolateloverVIPDined on 11/1/2014The decor at Marseille is lovely and captures the feeling of Paris. The food is very good and the dishes are quite unique. However, the noise was terrible. We had to scream to hear each other and couldn't really enjoy the experience because it was so hard to communicate. When we asked them to lower the music, they did, which was really nice and pretty amazing because most restaurants won't, but there was still a constant dint in the background in addition to the usual diners' noise. So, if noise doesn't bother you, Marseille is a delicious choice!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChangesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014I have eaten here numerous times before because I love the food. This time the food was great but we noticed some changes. They no longer put bread on the table. They come around and ask if you want any. I think this is a little tacky. They also raised the prices and changed the steak that comes with steak frites. They also removed my favorite dessert. Even though I still love their food, I might try somewhere new next time. Dinner for two $175 with one drink each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelySouthernGirlDined on 11/1/2014Marseille's was recommended by a local friend and she was right! Elegant but comfortable atmosphere. Food was exceptional. Wait staff was helpful and engaging without being obtrusive. Lovely dining experience!Special Features:
- Good Theater restaurantjlminvVIPDined on 11/1/2014Onion soup was perfect. Steak was slightly overcooked. Duck looked deliciousSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/29/2014best before theatre choice around -- i fyou dont mind a little walk to bway it all gets done in a timely and tasty mannerSpecial Features:
- Really really great!BirthdayDinerVIPDined on 10/29/2014had a lovely time! Great food, great service and it was just a super evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/28/2014For the Theatre District fine. Nothing outstanding.
- A new York GemSandiVIPDined on 10/26/2014We've eaten there a few times during various visits to NY and have never been disappointed. It is one of the few restaurants (that we've been able to find) that offers quality food at a reasonable price. $38 for a 3 course dinner (albeit limited choices) is quite a deal for New York. This trip we had the hanger steak and the lamb chops, plus shared a fabulous tuna tartar appetizer, and found nothing to complain about. The meat was cooked to order and was flavored perfectly. The service was just fine ... who expects overly friendly witers in New York. all in all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Marseille to anyone who seeks good food without being gouged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014It's a regular for me - and often bring people from out of town here. The atmosphere is fabulous.Special Features:
- terryoDined on 10/26/2014Too noisy. Menu diverse and food delicious. Prices a bit high. We always go for brunch when we are in NYC on a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old favoriteSabrinaDined on 10/25/2014I always enjoy the food and ambiance at Marseille. It has a warm, old world feel. The food is fantastic. I have enjoyed eating and drinking at the bar there too. It's truly a French Bistro in the most classical sense. It's great pre or post theater too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For lovers of food - and noisecarolwDined on 10/25/2014I enjoy the food, but the indoor space is VERY noisy. I love eating at Marseilles during the warm months when it's possible to eat outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pre-theatre brunchLondynGirlDined on 10/25/2014The food was delicious. We had a frittata and the pain perdu with mushroom ragu. The service was prompt and friendly. We didn't feel rushed at all, even though our reservation wasn't until 12:15 (for a 2pm show).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunchfrancisDined on 10/25/2014Thank you, Marseille, for a wonderful brunch before a matinee. Quick, easy service. Yummy food and great coffee. Thank for you being relatively inexpensive too!Special Features:
- A night on West 48 street.nyny2574Dined on 10/24/2014All in all we had a great time at Marseille. try their cream brulee, and virgin apple cider sangria,so awesome.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/23/2014Marseilles has great food for pre-theater but allow plenty of time for slow service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marseille was wonderful!lezeat2dayDined on 10/22/2014Took my mom for her birthday dinner there. Very friendly and attentive wait staff and a wonderful Prix Fixe Menu ($38). Had Escargot, Monkfish, & a Fig-Caramel Bread Pudding. Excellent value and wonderful ambiance. I will certainly go back!Special Features:
- Loved it againTablehopperDined on 10/22/2014My husband and I have been here several times, brought "foodies" with us this time pre-theater, and they can't wait to come back! It was great again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.