Marnee Thai - Ann Arbor
414 South Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48103Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Marnee Thai - Ann Arbor
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.marneethai-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 7349299933
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:30am-2:00pm: Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm -9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are pleased to serve your catering needs. We now also do delivery for catering. Please give us a call.
A word from Marnee Thai - Ann Arbor
The Thai word “Marnee” literally means “gemstones,” which are dazzling, colorful, and highly precious. Thai rubies and sapphires are very well known all over the world. Similarly, we at Marnee Thai carefully select high quality herbs and ingredients to make sure all of our Thai dishes retain their original authenticity. Our first Thai restaurant in the U.S., Lotus Thai (opened in 2002, on Oak Valley Drive, Ann Arbor), has been well received by customers who seek authentic Thai food. This enthusiastic reception encourages us to open our second restaurant in the U.S., right in downtown Ann Arbor, Marnee Thai.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Marnee Thai - Ann Arbor - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Marnee Thai - Ann Arbor reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (12)fit for foodies (10)special occasion (9)kid-friendly (5)romantic (4)good for groups (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Friendly environmentJanBDined on 8/10/2014We love the food at Marnee and the friendly service. It's one of the few places in town where the ambient noise isn't deafening. It's clean, quiet and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingdsg576VIPDined on 7/11/2014We had a great experience for dinner with a group. They helped us find a table that would fit all of us plus a stroller. The food quality was all very good. Try their lime soda too! They had no problem accommodating our dietary restrictions or spice levels. Would not hesitate to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place to wine and dine!HazelNutDined on 7/9/2014While on campus I ran into someone I'd not seen in months. We decided to catch up over food and wine after work and wanted a quiet place without bar TVs and loud patrons. The only place I could think of that fit the bill was Marnee. My friend was hesitant because she cannot tolerate spicy food, but she ended up loving her Pad Thai while I opted for Garlic Shrimp. Our server was very conscientious and knew when to stop by and when to not; most places in Ann Arbor fail to understand this concept. Thankfully you can converse when dining at Marnee. They're also consistent food-wise: this was my 2nd time getting Garlic Shrimp, and my 'supertaster' tongue once again detected no burnt garlic, only the 'sweet-to-deep' flavor they achieve so well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineDined on 7/5/2014Waiter was very accommodating and the food was excellent. We found the restaurant online after deciding to visit Ann Arbor, and even though it was a 2 hour drive, we will probably visit again. The food was that good!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week MadnessAwesomeBrunchBuffetDined on 6/27/2014All the dishes brought to me were dirty! The wait staff was overwhelmed, thus leading to poor service. I would never return...
- How do I love thee...HazelNutDined on 6/27/2014...let me count the ways! (1) Great atmosphere (2) Quiet but in a good way (3) EXCELLENT service, even during hectic Restaurant Week, which is when we lunched there (4) Extremely fast delivery of entree, again, EVEN THOUGH RESTAURANT WEEK (5) Fabulous food (6) Quick bill (important when you only have an hour for lunch!) and well worth your generous tipping, and, finally, (7) VERY attentive manager! Kurt is the reason why I go back again and again and introduce diehard foodies and newcomers to Marnee Thai before any other A2 restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food except the calamaripickysnootDined on 6/24/2014Loves the food! Added calamari to our 'restaurant week' line up as an appetizer and it was either over cooked or not fresh. The result was a rubbery, tough texture. The pad Thai and drunken noodle along with spring rolls were GREAT! The offered more spring rolls to make up for the calamari, so it was made up for in the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy but had great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014My husband and I took advantage of the restaurant week deal -- glad we made reservations b/c they were busy! Yes, the wait time for everything was probably longer than usual, but it comes with the nature of the week. While an additional server would have been helpful, the two that were there handled things as best as they could. My husband and I had spring rolls, pad thai, panang curry (both chicken), and the tuxedo cheesecake for dessert -- everything was delicious! We look forward to eating there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place, food and service.BrightonFamilyDined on 6/14/2014My wife and I plan to return soon. Good menu and we enjoyed our dinner very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remarkably disappointingjoieDined on 5/30/2014Server never took order; I found him at register and ordered there. Food was mediocre at best. And really expensive, as in overpriced. Pass this one by.
- Very good Thai!MCollinsVIPDined on 5/27/2014A really good Thai place. I had the beef and vegetables with brown rice. Waiter brought chili paste(?) for adding heat; a little goes a long way! Would recommend and return!Special Features:
- Best Food in Ann ArborLperk22Dined on 5/24/2014My boyfriend and I came in from Cleveland Ohio to stay the weekend and came to Marnee for one of our dinners. We got vegetarian Pad See Ew and a curry fried rice. The curry fried rice was the most amazing dish I had in Ann Arbor. Best Thai food I had in awhile and by far the best meal I had in Ann Arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 125 reviews are from the Marnee Thai - Ann Arbor reviews archive.
- BrooksDined on 5/3/2014I have been there quite a few times and always been happy but this time the service was weak. After the food was dropped off we didn't see our server again until we were done so more water or extra rice wasn't an option. We had 3 dishes that we ordered medium. One was bland and two were very hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodtownieDined on 4/27/2014Really enjoyed the variety of healthy dishes with lots of vegetables. Many vegan/vegetarian options. Quiet, pleasant atmosphere was good for conversation. Reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Thai Food Lunch ExperienceLikesFoodVIPDined on 4/10/2014Not many Thai restaurants in Ann Arbor matching Open Table caliber so this one stands out for people who are visiting town and craving for Thai foods. Located off busy main road. My daughter and I were doing her college visits and for our lunch experience, we didn't want to walk far. We ended up doing metered parking. We had Tod Mun Pla (fish cake) and Som Tam (Green Papaya Salad) and my daughter loved our lunches. Bottom line, this restaurant does well for a town like Ann Arbor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrong with Marnee ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014Great Thai food no matter what you try! I gravitate towards traditional pad thai it this place does everything great! Be adventurous and try everything! Nothing disappoints!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been to Marnee Thai2001FirebirdDined on 3/23/2014I have been to Marnee Thai at least 4 times. Every time the food has been excellent. Love it. Wish I could afford to eat there once a week....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchLesTDined on 3/21/2014Made a reservation for 1:30, but didn't know that the kitchen closed at 1:45. Nevertheless, the waiter still gave us a table and promised to take care of us. We got our food and my friend got her birthday special (half off dinner-portion entree). The food was really good. The service could be better at times; our waitress was a bit cold and brusque and unfriendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencenonameDined on 3/16/2014Out-of-town guests wanted a Thai restaurant and we had not been to Marnee Thai before. Excellent choice. All the food was well prepared, delicious and of appropriate quantity. In particular, we found the calamari appetizer to be the best prepared we had ever experienced. Staff was very attentive and handled a couple of special requests with no difficulty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food once you receive itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014A friend had I visited on a Saturday night. We had reservation and were seated promptly once we were seen. My friend loves Thai and I was itching to take her to the only Thai place I have eaten. We ordered pretty quickly all together appetizers, drinks, soup and entrees. We waited a good 30 mins for our appieizers. My friend didn't care for the soup she ordered and they didn't even ask her how it was for her to mention that she didn't care for it. When our entrees came we were very hungry and they were delish! My friend commented that if the food hadn't tasted so good she wouldn't return. I've never waited for food this long at Marnee Thai so I'm hoping it's a Saturday fluke. I usually do lunch on weekdays and I will stick to that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent Thai food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014The food is fabulous, prices reasonable, and the waiter (who has been there for as long as I can remember) is very friendly and helpful with ordering!Special Features:
- Garlic Shrimp is the Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014We really enjoyed Marnee Thai. Service is great and waiters are friendly. Will eat here as often as I can.Special Features:
- Terrible NightMattDined on 1/17/2014-My date and I waited over an hour for the food to arrive -The service was terrible -The Entrees were extremely dry and tasteless -The dessert barely thawed and the taste was no better -I do not recommend this restaurant
- Wasnt that impressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014We went for ann arbor resturant week. Our meals were over cooked so the noodles were very chewy. The server kept forgetting what we order and took a long time getting to us.Special Features:
- Good Thai foodcheriehDined on 1/17/2014I am not much of a critic for Thai food but we did enjoy our meals at the recent restaurant week. I would recommend this restaurant and would likely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week for DinnerJaebeeDined on 1/16/2014We visited Marnee Thai for dinner during Restaurant Week. It was very busy, but the service was still outstanding. The manager personally found a table for us and was overly apologetic about the wait, which was only about 20 minutes! We felt like they really cared about our experience and wanted us to come back. The food was great and the restaurant week deal was outstanding - two 3-course meals for $28. It was more than enough food and we loved the Thai beers too! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed lunchfundinner2014Dined on 1/16/2014We went for lunch last week during the AA Restaurant Week 2014. Although the food were delicious as usual, the temperature of the food was barely warm. We were disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard tofufoodieDined on 1/14/2014There seemed to be only three active servers including the manager. Overall service was slower than usual, or reservation was for 8pm and we ended up leaving at 10pm, although or water glasses were constantly getting filled. Food was overall very tasty and a great deal, unfortunately everyone who received tofu in their noodle based dish was underwhelmed by the tofu's lack of suppleness, as the small pieces were very chewy and hard. The tom kha tofu soup also lacked the complex flavors I was expecting. We'll definitely return, but hope the restaurant gets back into the groove quickly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBlueEyes1014Dined on 1/14/2014I'd been wanting to try Marnee Thai for awhile, so my boyfriend and I decided to give it a shot during restaurant week. The restaurant was packed and they were clearly under-staffed. There were only 3 people on the floor, including who I believe was a manager. There was a lot of waiting. The spring rolls were good. It was obvious our drunken noodles had been sitting for awhile as the sauce on top had hardened up. The cheesecake was good. Our server was very nice and doing his best, but it was obvious they should have staffed more people. I don't think I'll go back.Special Features:
- Great Food... but slow to get itGlenDined on 1/14/2014We enjoy the food but we don't understand why it takes so long to get it. Still we keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Thai!jmariesfDined on 10/19/2013We were in Ann Arbor home visiting for the Michigan football game and I made a reservation here for after the game. We have pretty high Thai food standards after living in San Francisco for 10 years. Most Thai we've had else where doesn't compare...except Marnee Thai! It was excellent. We had 4 different dishes in at our table, 2 soups and the papaya salad and all were excellent! Our waitress was very friendly and attentive and we were very happy with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliably good taste and casualMaryDined on 10/1/2013Certain dishes are great. Larb is wonderful. Pad Thai, the all time favorite at Thai restaurants, is quite good, too. the menu indicates Glutenous dishes, which is essential for some people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ThaiacpyipDined on 9/13/2013My husband compared to the quality of the food in HKG.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placePatrickDined on 9/6/2013My wife and I dined here on a Friday night after work. It is a wonderful place. The food was excellent and the service was top notch. My wife needs to eat gluten free and they were very helpful and had the gluten free selections marked on the menu. I would recommend this place highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchMonaVIPDined on 9/3/2013We all enjoy lunch at Marnee Thai. The food is always good. Clean and exceptional place to eat lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, great food (thoughJamesDined on 8/30/2013Good service, great food (though the medium spice could have been hotter) We had and earlier reservation - 5:15p for a group of seven and our service was great and fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A few dollars more expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2013A few dollars more expensive than other thai places around due to its Main St. location, but Marnee Thai has good food, reasonable portions and very friendly service making it a nice dinner or lunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thai in Ann Arbormagnolia10Dined on 8/3/2013Marnee Thai has great food. Really reasonably priced too. A must-eat for Thai in Ann Arbor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Thai food on Main StreetSusanDined on 6/22/2013We had a birthday lunch for a family member and the value for the price was extraordinary. I particularly recommend the fried shrimp with plum sauce appetizer and the panangs (red curry).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A2's best for food and conversationGinger75Dined on 6/18/2013Ann Arbor doesn't offer many restaurants where the food is excellent, the service is beyond expectation, and one can converse easily without hearing loud music or TVs: Marnee is that and much more. Their atmosphere is very soothing after a long day at work and is perfect for out-of-town guests, as it sits at the edge of Main Street's crowdedness, far enough away to be quiet but still close to all the shopping. A parking structure across the street makes it easy to find a spot after 6pm, and AATA's transit center is less than two blocks away. If it's your first time, try the Thai iced tea, a creamy two-toned drink that perfectly accompanies any of their exceptional entrees. Trust me, there is no better food and service in A2. We love Marnee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.