10 Bosworth Street
Boston, MA 02108Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marliave.com/
- Phone: (617) 422-0004
- Hours of Operation:
Menu Sunday-Saturday:11:00am - 10:00pm. Cocktails Sunday-Saturday 11:00am- 1:00am. Dollar Oysters Sunday-Saturday: 4:00pm- 6:00pm and again 9:00pm- 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Scott Herritt chef/owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wine
- Special Events: Marliave offers an extensive menu of smaller portioned hors d’oeuvres designed to supply a lighter fare in an informal cocktail setting. The upstairs bar is an attractive setting for parties up to fifty persons. The entire upstairs is available for larger gatherings over one hundred guest.
A word from Marliave
The Marliave, Boston's fourth oldest restaurant, has a tireless commitment to house prepared cuisine. Our orange, lemon, lime, and grapefruit juices are fresh squeezed daily. All breads, desserts, sauces, pastas, ice cream, and stocks are made daily in house and are prepared to order. The Marliave utilizes local fresh vegetables, fruits, natural raised animals, and the finest imported ingredients to create our food and drink menus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marliave reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (88)fit for foodies (87)special occasion (78)romantic (73)good for groups (55)great for outdoor dining (45)notable wine list (29)great for lunch (27)scenic view (18)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (13)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014why be forced to write a reivew when the rankings above were adaquate
- great food and servicejulieDined on 11/15/2014While the food we ordered was very good and the ambiance is really nice, the only downside is the lack of lighting in some areas. Very dim and couldn't read the menus. We were near the bar but it wasn't too loud or crazy. Classy and romantic but get a good spot if you want to see the person in front of you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ballet nightGordyVIPDined on 11/14/2014Twas a special night .. and 2nd time here... Had an upstairs window seat. Wine selection is limited but were many excellent selections anyway! We had a selection of oysters .. all free and delicious. I had escargo .. a bit heavy on the garlic but also very delicious. We shared a trout special which was a bit dry but still very tasty. Service was excellent even tho the dinning room filled up an hour after we got there!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014The service was perfect. From the moment I got there to the moment I left, everyone was so nice. The food was delicious and the drink menu was perfect. I will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!BillyDined on 11/7/2014We arrived early for half price oysters at the bar. Delicious and nice variety. Drinks were notable in selection and flavor. When we were seated upstairs for dinner, thats when the wow factor kicked in. A PERFECT romantic get away. Food was ridiculously good and service was attentive but not clingy. I would consider this a top ten of my dining outings.Special Features:
- LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/5/2014I have been going to Marliave's since I was a child, so I probably have a ridiculous nostalgia for the place, but I still love it and it's great. When I walk up the granite steps to the door I am of course reminded of all of the times I went there with my family and I am so happy to be there. The menu is different with changed ownership and it is delicious. I find the risotto to be cooked perfectly, the beet salad is not to be missed and if you like french fries, they are terrific. The service is good and attentive but not at all intrusive. Will be back again and again.Special Features:
- All around excellence!!!FitlerSquareVIPDined on 11/2/2014We ate here to celebrate my son's 21st birthday and had a great meal! Serfvice was attentive, but not intrusive. started with a Nellie Churchill - like a cinnamon Manhattan - very tasty! I had the carpaccio, my son the fruite de mare and both enjoyed them. I had the scallops with ppumpkin ravioli pared with a Pinot Noir the bartended recommended - both the dish and the pairing were perfect! My son had the shrimp scampi - ate it all so I didn't get to sample - and my wife had the osso buco. It was not the preparation I am used to - more of large section of braised shank - bue very tasty and tender. Sadly we had arrange for a cake back at the hotel so could not sample dessert but bet they are delicious. Next time for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wasted my nightAviatorDined on 11/1/2014It supposed to be nice quiet dinner with my wife. Unfortunately all we could hear next table because we only had 5 inche between us. Anyone looking for quite and romantic night this is NOT the place. Food and drinks are great.Special Features:
- Wonderful food!HaleyCDined on 10/27/2014I really enjoyed the food here! I had the scallops with sweet potato ravioli, which was so flavorful and paired very well with the mushrooms. The scallops were cooked perfectly. The only thing I will say is that I was disappointed with the portion, only 4 scallops/ravioli. The best surprise by far however was the homemade mint chocolate icecream! I was so impressed by the real mint flavor, like it was straight out of my garden. One scoop was the perfect end to my meal. Thanks to the scallops for leaving room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experienceFrenchieVIPDined on 10/24/2014Marliave's become one of our favorite spots in Boston. The quality of food is consistently good, the oysters and clams have always been very fresh, and our waitress was outstanding. We also appreciate the fact that they stay open late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itTriplemomVIPDined on 10/24/2014Special find in Boston. Service could be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemBostonDebDined on 10/23/2014I have been to Marliave several times and it is consistently great. As the fourth oldest restaurant in Boston, it exudes charm. The food and service is consistently fabulous. Whether lunch, dinner or a special occasion, Marliave is a go to for me when I am in the Downtown Crossing area. Order the beet salad and Sunday dinner (gnocchi with lamb, pork and tomatoes). My dining companion said that the Beef Wellington is to die for. They also have a creative cocktail menu and you may purchase wine by the glass, half carafe, full carafe or bottle.Special Features:
- great drinks, good food/serviceepiannDined on 10/21/2014Marliave never disappoints. The food is good, hearty, well prepared. The service is friendly and sufficiently but not overly attentive. The cocktail menu is creative and fun. Atmosphere is lively--ambiance a bit loud because it's set up bistro style with lots of chrome and tile to send echos around the room, but it's generally fun and stylish and I enjoy the restaurant a lot.Special Features:
- Amazing as usualfrenchiefoodieDined on 10/14/2014I've been to Marliave over a dozen times for both business and personal dinner. This restaurant never disappoints (have you tried the mac n' cheese?!). I'd recommend Marliave to anyone, particularly the upstairs dining room or the outdoor patio.Special Features:
- Great view from upstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014The food was great and the view was really beautiful. The floor to ceiling windows and soft lighting and jazz music made for a very relaxing and romantic atmosphere. I'm sure I'll go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality French Italian/AmericanSunday2dayVIPDined on 10/11/2014Marliave takes special care in preparing cocktails. Oysters are the freshest I have had and 1/2 price at special times. I had the Beef Wellington. It was fantastic. I love the dining room upstairs. Three walls are windowed and have mini lights.Special Features:
- Chicken to die forFood2dieforDined on 10/10/2014The Professor cocktail was perfect owed by French onion soup with chunks of short ribs. Mmmm. The chicken roasted under a brick was outstanding. We will come back for this entree again and to try many other things on the menu. Outstanding service. And the table at the window was perfect. Felt like we were way back in time with delicious French influenced food. A real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014Perfect spot for a romantic dinner with a European feel. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Great for date night. Great food, great drinks, great ambiance I've had the Wellington twice - it is to die for. Absolutely recommended.
- JoJoDined on 9/27/2014Very nice atmosphere, something on the menu for everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, empty dining roomRobin25VIPDined on 9/21/2014We went on a Sunday night and the dining room was virtually empty. They need to do a better job of promoting themselves. Just being one of the oldest restaurants in the city doesn't do it for today's diners. Insalata di mare (seafood salad) was excellent. My husband's beef wellington was also excellent. I had the rabbit which had nice accompaniments, but it was a bit too dry. Side of asparagus was very nice also.
- coolhandlukeDined on 9/20/2014Classic spot in the city! Always a great spot for a date or some half priced oysters and a cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trip to this alley gemDJAG14Dined on 9/20/2014I had no idea this gem was at the end of this alley. There is ample outdoor seating, a bar & an upstairs dining room enclosed in glass windows. The menu is short but has something for everyone. The cocktail list is fun to read & has twists on the average recipe. And the cheese menu...Any place that has a separate cheese & charcuterie menu is a place for me! I ordered the sirloin with potatoes au gratin & asparagus. Each was cooked to perfection. The steak was crisp on the outside, perfectly pink on the inside, and very juicy. My only complaint is that the potatoes & steak could have used a touch more salt & pepper. My friend had the gnocchi (potato) & it was delicious. I think a touch of grated cheese on top would have been great.Special Features:
- MarliaveNimisDined on 9/20/2014I liked the ambience of the place but the noise level was so high that I had problems to hear our waitress. Food and drinks were good.Special Features:
- great place if you can find it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014A hidden neighborhood spot, a but tough to find but with it. The cocktail list is great and they keep an updated beer/wine selection fitting the tone of year. The view is MUCH better from upstairs, last trip was my first sitting at the ground floor and was a bit disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeahorseDined on 9/16/2014Lovely place to dine on the rooftop terrace in the evening. Nice food and ambience. Stairs would be a challenge for older diners. For everybody else, well worth the climb!Special Features:
- Great before a show/concertThomasDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I went Saturday night before the Jason Mraz concert at the Wang Theatre. The Marliave never disappoints.....both of our entree's were delicious and the oysters were a great starter. Also, cocktails were A+ as usual.Special Features:
- Nothing to write home about...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2014We had made a reservation for dinner at Marliave following the reviews on TripAdvisor. We were promptly seated upon our arrival and the restaurant was rather busy. I had the chicken with risotto and my wife had the portobello mushroom sandwhich. She said the mushroom was tasty but the bun was like a "wonderbread bun". My chicken was OK -- nothing special. The risotto was slightly undercooked. While I understand that it's typical American restaurant tradition to serve vegetables "à la carte", but wouldn't it have been nice to have a few green beans on the plate? The staff was very helpful but the overall experience was not one that I would repeat.
- Great food, but tight table areaSnipsDined on 8/30/2014I was happy they extended their Dine Out Boston deal for this weekend. It was a great deal. The food was very good. I enjoyed eating the escargot and mushroom risotto. Service was excellent. My water glass was constantly filled. The only thing I didn't like was the area where 2 top tables was situated. There were 5 tables all in the corner. I felt the tables were too close to one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazinggsgdmdDined on 8/29/2014Great experience and amazing food. Waitress was great and super attentive. Great pick for Dine Out Boston week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I can say is wowbrowneyedoptimistDined on 8/28/2014Excellent food and drink selection. Or server was fabulous; overall a great experience. Was a bit too noisy but that was die to patrons outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordered the wrong thingBlizzard62Dined on 8/28/2014I ordered the Steak Frites and I knew I shouldn't have but I was jonesing for fries. The steak was pretty tough and had a strange flavor. Great waiter, nice bread and olive oil to munch on. I had Henry's Soup as an appetizer, it was the best part of the meal. My friend had the escargot and he said they were very salty. Overall, it was an okay lunch but I wouldn't rush back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Marliave'sbostonmargiDined on 8/28/2014One of my favorite restaurants that I return to often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ups and downsTedODined on 8/28/2014It is best to enterpret the menu descriptions literally, and not make assumptions. For example, The onion soup with gruyere cheese and "short rib" should not have been assumed to be a French style onion soup gratinee. It was a very flavorful (yet very fatty) beef stew without vegetables and with melted cheese on top (making for an extremely fatty dish). The Sunday Soup described as pasta with tomato sauce with beef, pork & veal was not a Bolognese sauce. It had stewed tomatoes with big chunks of the meat (which all tasted like short rib meat. On the other hand the beet salad and the ravioli with tomato and basil sauce were excellent. The skirt steak was good, but its fries were just ok.Special Features:
- Cocktails were averagebostonDined on 8/27/2014We got a cosmo and a mojito. With regards to the cosmo, it tasted fine but it only filled 3/4 of the glass. A pet peeve of mine is paying for a drink that doesn't fill the glass. The mojito was terrible. The taste was sour with lime and no taste of mint. The mint was not fresh. Very disappointing. The food was great but the drinks affected the dining experience.Special Features:
- Best RecommendationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014A friend of mine recommended this place for Restaurant Week. I went with my bf and another couple. We all loved it. The food was great- we were all stuffed and happy (including the two guys who are NFL linebacker size)! The truffle mac and cheese comes in your own individual covered ramekin. The beef wellington is delicious but if you don't like medium rare- do not get. I was told the steak frites and lamb gnocchi were also good. The chocolate cake is a molten lava cake and is amazing. The pudding had cake frosting on top- good but very rich. The cocktails were also amazing- hope you like gin! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014Great overall, very cool place Great overall, very cool place Great overall, very cool placeSpecial Features:
- Stay AwayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014Just got back from an 88th birthday celebration lunch. Walked in to an odd smell at the front of the house, but that was actually the bar area so we'll let that pass. My drink lacked an adequate amount of alcohol, the waitress lacked personality, and the shrimp scampi lacked any seasoning or taste at all, and that includes the most important ingredient...garlic! The shrimp swam in a pool of red water. I ate 2 and dumped 3. The 3 left over were whisked away and I was never asked if I wanted to take them with me. The butterscotch pudding was very good. Not to mention, even though it was stated this was an birthday celebration in the reservation, no one even said happy birthday to my 88 year old Mother-In-Law.
- MacCtlevDined on 8/24/2014Like the Mac and chesse a lot. The overall dinning exp is pretty good but parking is hard to come by sometimes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great wait staff.SallyDined on 8/23/2014Food was good. We were there during restaurant week and they offered their three courses from the regular menu at a set price. We thought that was a very good deal. I would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.