10 Bosworth Street
Boston, MA 02108Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marliave.com/
- Phone: 6174220004x
- Hours of Operation:
Menu Sunday-Saturday:11:00am - 10:00pm. Cocktails Sunday-Saturday 11:00am- 1:00am. Dollar Oysters Sunday-Saturday: 4:00pm- 6:00pm and again 9:00pm- 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Scott Herritt chef/owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wine
- Special Events: Marliave offers an extensive menu of smaller portioned hors d’oeuvres designed to supply a lighter fare in an informal cocktail setting. The upstairs bar is an attractive setting for parties up to fifty persons. The entire upstairs is available for larger gatherings over one hundred guest.
A word from Marliave
The Marliave, Boston's fourth oldest restaurant, has a tireless commitment to house prepared cuisine. Our orange, lemon, lime, and grapefruit juices are fresh squeezed daily. All breads, desserts, sauces, pastas, ice cream, and stocks are made daily in house and are prepared to order. The Marliave utilizes local fresh vegetables, fruits, natural raised animals, and the finest imported ingredients to create our food and drink menus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marliave reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)neighborhood gem (83)romantic (70)special occasion (69)great for outdoor dining (64)good for groups (47)great for lunch (33)notable wine list (23)scenic view (22)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (13)hot spot (10)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2014Lovely place to dine on the rooftop terrace in the evening. Nice food and ambience. Stairs would be a challenge for older diners. For everybody else, well worth the climb!Special Features:
- Great before a show/concertThomasDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I went Saturday night before the Jason Mraz concert at the Wang Theatre. The Marliave never disappoints.....both of our entree's were delicious and the oysters were a great starter. Also, cocktails were A+ as usual.Special Features:
- Nothing to write home about...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014We had made a reservation for dinner at Marliave following the reviews on TripAdvisor. We were promptly seated upon our arrival and the restaurant was rather busy. I had the chicken with risotto and my wife had the portobello mushroom sandwhich. She said the mushroom was tasty but the bun was like a "wonderbread bun". My chicken was OK -- nothing special. The risotto was slightly undercooked. While I understand that it's typical American restaurant tradition to serve vegetables "à la carte", but wouldn't it have been nice to have a few green beans on the plate? The staff was very helpful but the overall experience was not one that I would repeat.
- Great food, but tight table areaSnipsDined on 8/30/2014I was happy they extended their Dine Out Boston deal for this weekend. It was a great deal. The food was very good. I enjoyed eating the escargot and mushroom risotto. Service was excellent. My water glass was constantly filled. The only thing I didn't like was the area where 2 top tables was situated. There were 5 tables all in the corner. I felt the tables were too close to one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazinggsgdmdDined on 8/29/2014Great experience and amazing food. Waitress was great and super attentive. Great pick for Dine Out Boston week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I can say is wowbrowneyedoptimistDined on 8/28/2014Excellent food and drink selection. Or server was fabulous; overall a great experience. Was a bit too noisy but that was die to patrons outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordered the wrong thingBlizzard62Dined on 8/28/2014I ordered the Steak Frites and I knew I shouldn't have but I was jonesing for fries. The steak was pretty tough and had a strange flavor. Great waiter, nice bread and olive oil to munch on. I had Henry's Soup as an appetizer, it was the best part of the meal. My friend had the escargot and he said they were very salty. Overall, it was an okay lunch but I wouldn't rush back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Marliave'sbostonmargiDined on 8/28/2014One of my favorite restaurants that I return to often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ups and downsTedODined on 8/28/2014It is best to enterpret the menu descriptions literally, and not make assumptions. For example, The onion soup with gruyere cheese and "short rib" should not have been assumed to be a French style onion soup gratinee. It was a very flavorful (yet very fatty) beef stew without vegetables and with melted cheese on top (making for an extremely fatty dish). The Sunday Soup described as pasta with tomato sauce with beef, pork & veal was not a Bolognese sauce. It had stewed tomatoes with big chunks of the meat (which all tasted like short rib meat. On the other hand the beet salad and the ravioli with tomato and basil sauce were excellent. The skirt steak was good, but its fries were just ok.Special Features:
- Cocktails were averagebostonDined on 8/27/2014We got a cosmo and a mojito. With regards to the cosmo, it tasted fine but it only filled 3/4 of the glass. A pet peeve of mine is paying for a drink that doesn't fill the glass. The mojito was terrible. The taste was sour with lime and no taste of mint. The mint was not fresh. Very disappointing. The food was great but the drinks affected the dining experience.Special Features:
- Best RecommendationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014A friend of mine recommended this place for Restaurant Week. I went with my bf and another couple. We all loved it. The food was great- we were all stuffed and happy (including the two guys who are NFL linebacker size)! The truffle mac and cheese comes in your own individual covered ramekin. The beef wellington is delicious but if you don't like medium rare- do not get. I was told the steak frites and lamb gnocchi were also good. The chocolate cake is a molten lava cake and is amazing. The pudding had cake frosting on top- good but very rich. The cocktails were also amazing- hope you like gin! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014Great overall, very cool place Great overall, very cool place Great overall, very cool placeSpecial Features:
- Stay AwayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014Just got back from an 88th birthday celebration lunch. Walked in to an odd smell at the front of the house, but that was actually the bar area so we'll let that pass. My drink lacked an adequate amount of alcohol, the waitress lacked personality, and the shrimp scampi lacked any seasoning or taste at all, and that includes the most important ingredient...garlic! The shrimp swam in a pool of red water. I ate 2 and dumped 3. The 3 left over were whisked away and I was never asked if I wanted to take them with me. The butterscotch pudding was very good. Not to mention, even though it was stated this was an birthday celebration in the reservation, no one even said happy birthday to my 88 year old Mother-In-Law.
- MacCtlevDined on 8/24/2014Like the Mac and chesse a lot. The overall dinning exp is pretty good but parking is hard to come by sometimes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great wait staff.SallyDined on 8/23/2014Food was good. We were there during restaurant week and they offered their three courses from the regular menu at a set price. We thought that was a very good deal. I would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining in BostonFoodieDined on 8/22/2014Close to the Omni Parker and in the heart of Boston, Marliave was a wonderful dining experience with a great staff. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Drink menu and Delicious FoodnicenightoutDined on 8/22/2014We had a great experience at Marliave! We took advantage of the "Restaurant Week" or "Dine Out Boston" deal. Most places offer a limited menu but we had so many options it was tough to choose. The French Onion Soup and Mac n' Cheese apps were our favorite, but everything far exceeded our expectations.Special Features:
- Expectations higher than realityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014We went to Marliave for Restaurant Week, which always makes it challenging to know whether the experience is 'typical' or not. The menu was fantastic and offered lots of options, but unfortunately the food didn't match up to the promise. My friend started with Onion Soup and found it much too salty; I started with the Carpaccio and found it the fattiest I've ever had. Our main courses were disappointing as well - I had the Beef Wellington, which was fine but not great (I've actually made it better myself). The apps were served in a timely manner, but a lot of time elapsed before we got our main course. The waitress apologized and explained that the kitchen was backed up, but telling us this earlier would have been appreciated.Special Features:
- Marliave82114adventurerDined on 8/21/2014Went for Dine Out Boston. Appreciate that there are MANY options to choose from on the promotional menu and portions were generous. Food was fantastic and there was a vibrant crowd. Service was a bit slow that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for restaurant week Aug 2014georgeDined on 8/18/2014Although it is restaurant week, the menu offered was almost exactly the same as the regular menu. Quite a selection and very good. We had the beef carpaccio and the mussels as appetizers. The beef dish was a bit bland but the mussels were tasty. Our mains were the trout with spinach (sublime) and the beef wellington. The beef was delicious - perfectly cooked. My only complaint was the lack of any vegetables. (ON the regular menu, they are served and charged for separately) Dessert was the warm chocolate cake with icecream (it was a huge serving) and the cheese course. The cake was very chocolately and was perfect with the ice cream. The cheese course was fine. I particularly liked the fig jam. We plan to go back again.Special Features:
- Amazing made from scratchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014Not many people,never mind restaurants make their food from scratch so I was extremely pleasant when I got the Shrimp Scampi and the Linguine was made from scratch. As an italian Mom with an history of making my own pasta and ravioli's, i must say it was amazing! The icecream on the Brownie Sundae was a perfect way to end the lunch! Also made from scratch!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week ReviewDivine582Dined on 8/18/2014The menu was unusually extensive for Restaurant Week which was a plus. Service was great. Caesar salad, excellent. My shrimp Scampi was good but the shrimp were a tad over cooked. Everyone else enjoyed their entree's. The box of chocolate truffles on the dessert menu was a great idea. Had one and took the rest for later. The only drawback to dining at Marliave are the steep stairs everywhere!
- Wonderful service!!!MeggDined on 8/17/2014The service was detailed and amazing! The food was good I am just personally not a fan of the nontradtional French onion soup. Everything else was amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoity Hostesslike2eatDined on 8/16/2014We were seated at an uncomfortable, claustrophobic table. The restaurant was practically empty and the rude hostess told us all the other tables were reserved/requested. Finally a smart employee decided to move our table - once we were moved everything was wonderful. Food was spectacular, the service was pleasant and the ambience provided for pleasant lingering. The evening started out unpleasant, and could've been disasterous, especially because the restaurant never filled up, but at least one of their employees understood customer service!Special Features:
- Saturday Early DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Made a reservation and we arrived 15 minutes early. Not an issue and we were seated within 30 seconds of our arrival. Service was very good. Our waitress was very attentive and friendly and also the others who assisted us during our dinner treated us well. Food was very good. I had the Osso Bucco, it was flavorful, served hot and plenty to eat. My date had the Beef Wellington, which was also flavorful, served hot, but it did not come with a side or vegetable. We sat upstairs which was little bit nicer and brighter than the first floor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2014I dine at Marliave often and am never unhappy with the food or service. It is a great restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Dive with Old School CharmTommyDined on 8/9/2014I've been to Marliave several times now whether for dinner or just to have an after work cocktail. Most recently, my wife and I dined there with a few friends. We sat in one of the booths across from the downstairs bar. My Rye Manhattan was so excellent I ordered a second. I can never go back to regular maraschino cherries after experiencing the Luxardo style cherries Marliave uses. I enjoyed my pan roasted chicken under brick and also the bacon fat roasted brussels sprouts.Special Features:
- meh!zeroDined on 8/3/2014underwhelmed. mediocre food, not very knowledgeable service staff. over priced for the quality
- Marliave never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/2/2014The staff is really outstanding. The whole dinner was delicious. I recommend the cheese/charcuterie appetizer. The waiter will help you find exactly what you want from the extensive list. Same with the wine list. This was our first time getting ice cream. It did not disappoint. Ridiculous amounts of flavor.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem2togoVIPDined on 7/30/2014Not many people know where the Marliave is, and that's OK with us…...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeRRtasterDined on 7/25/2014We have enjoyed dining at Marliave several times before, but this last time the food was disappointing. The French onion soup was surprisingly oily. My husband's hamburger was not flavorful, and the brussel sprouts that he ordered as a side dish were swimming in grease; my chopped salad was also very bland and came without the green beans that were supposed to be on it, and only a microscopic amount of asparagus. Noise level inside was deafening - we had trouble hearing each other. On the plus side, our server was extremely courteous and responsive, and the ambiance/scenery were lovely.Special Features:
- Not a great food nightRasputinVIPDined on 7/24/2014Have been here several times, particularly for their famed breast of chicken, which is usually wonderful. This time though the chicken was way overcooked, dry and the whole dish and far far too much garlic on it. Both my friend and I ordered it and barely took a few bites. A pity. Surprisingly, because we did not bring our disappointment tot eh attention of the waitress when she asked, the items were left on our bill, when I believe they should have been comped because it was apparent we hardly touched our main courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBP8465Dined on 7/19/2014Great spot for a special dinner with some great friendsSpecial Features:
- Excellent Service/FoodKennardDined on 7/18/2014It's not often the combination of great food/service come together making all the courses enjoyable. This may not matter for most but the only room for growth found is the brew/wine/cocktail options.Special Features:
- Date night done rightez2plzDined on 7/18/2014Weather permitting, a great place to sit outdoors and enjoy some classy food in a back ally of Boston :)Special Features:
- MarliaveDinerforlifeDined on 7/18/2014Birthday celebration for 4. Outstanding staff with attention to detail. Food was good, portions were more than ample. Airconditioning was blowing a bit much but it is an old building.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014We had reservations for 5 pm but went to the bar at 4 pm to get the flavor of the place. We did not stay for dinner.... No beers on tap at a full bar was a disappointment, but more than anything was the bartender who was just non-engaging from the start. Reluctant to make our time there memorable. Did not offer water or bread- we had to ask for it. We ordered a dozen and half of assorted oysters and half a dozen of clams on the half shell. Bartender was more interested in talking to fellow bartender about how much money he had made one of the previous evenings. Boring and un eventful experience- left without having a real dinner. Will not return or recommend..
- Marliave is goodSilkeVIPDined on 7/15/2014Busy night, delicious scampi with pasta... rather rushed and intrusive service (plopping down the check with the dessert, "Whenever you're ready"), noisy (no sound absorption in wood floor, brick walls). Marliave was quiet and 'slow' for a long time after it opened, second of Scott Herritt's restaurants... after the subterranean Grotto, now seems to have been discovered. As @ Grotto, food is the best part... ambiance of Marliave is better than Grotto... maybe he should close the little basement Grotto and concentrate on one great restaurant??? But Grotto is still busy every night... so maybe not! I like them both pretty well (though Grotto menu hasn't changed in ten years)... wish one or other were truly great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved everything!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014From the view upstairs to the delicious rabbit entree and insalata di mar appetizer....everything was amazing, and I would highly recommend this to anyone looking to dress up for dinner and get treated to a special night. The server was prompt and attentive...and also hung back enough so we could enjoy our second glass of wine and chat. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Atmosphere and excellent fooddesertroseDined on 7/14/2014Over several lunch visits and a special occasion dinner the food was consistently excellent and the servers attentive each time. Servings are ample portions with incredible flavor and seasonings. The meat and chicken are tender. Lunch time fries served crispy and taste like real potatoes. Sauces are tasty but not too heavy especially the sauce for the scallops.Special Features: