10 Bosworth Street
Boston, MA 02108Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marliave.com/
- Phone: 6174220004x
- Hours of Operation:
Menu Sunday-Saturday:11:00am - 10:00pm. Cocktails Sunday-Saturday 11:00am- 1:00am. Dollar Oysters Sunday-Saturday: 4:00pm- 6:00pm and again 9:00pm- 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Scott Herritt chef/owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wine
- Special Events: Marliave offers an extensive menu of smaller portioned hors d’oeuvres designed to supply a lighter fare in an informal cocktail setting. The upstairs bar is an attractive setting for parties up to fifty persons. The entire upstairs is available for larger gatherings over one hundred guest.
A word from Marliave
The Marliave, Boston's fourth oldest restaurant, has a tireless commitment to house prepared cuisine. Our orange, lemon, lime, and grapefruit juices are fresh squeezed daily. All breads, desserts, sauces, pastas, ice cream, and stocks are made daily in house and are prepared to order. The Marliave utilizes local fresh vegetables, fruits, natural raised animals, and the finest imported ingredients to create our food and drink menus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marliave reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)neighborhood gem (84)romantic (70)special occasion (70)great for outdoor dining (59)good for groups (48)great for lunch (30)notable wine list (27)scenic view (16)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (13)late-night find (13)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Amazing as usualfrenchiefoodieDined on 10/14/2014I've been to Marliave over a dozen times for both business and personal dinner. This restaurant never disappoints (have you tried the mac n' cheese?!). I'd recommend Marliave to anyone, particularly the upstairs dining room or the outdoor patio.Special Features:
- Quality French Italian/AmericanSunday2dayVIPDined on 10/11/2014Marliave takes special care in preparing cocktails. Oysters are the freshest I have had and 1/2 price at special times. I had the Beef Wellington. It was fantastic. I love the dining room upstairs. Three walls are windowed and have mini lights.Special Features:
- Chicken to die forFood2dieforDined on 10/10/2014The Professor cocktail was perfect owed by French onion soup with chunks of short ribs. Mmmm. The chicken roasted under a brick was outstanding. We will come back for this entree again and to try many other things on the menu. Outstanding service. And the table at the window was perfect. Felt like we were way back in time with delicious French influenced food. A real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014Perfect spot for a romantic dinner with a European feel. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Great for date night. Great food, great drinks, great ambiance I've had the Wellington twice - it is to die for. Absolutely recommended.
- JoJoDined on 9/27/2014Very nice atmosphere, something on the menu for everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, empty dining roomRobin25VIPDined on 9/21/2014We went on a Sunday night and the dining room was virtually empty. They need to do a better job of promoting themselves. Just being one of the oldest restaurants in the city doesn't do it for today's diners. Insalata di mare (seafood salad) was excellent. My husband's beef wellington was also excellent. I had the rabbit which had nice accompaniments, but it was a bit too dry. Side of asparagus was very nice also.
- coolhandlukeDined on 9/20/2014Classic spot in the city! Always a great spot for a date or some half priced oysters and a cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trip to this alley gemDJAG14Dined on 9/20/2014I had no idea this gem was at the end of this alley. There is ample outdoor seating, a bar & an upstairs dining room enclosed in glass windows. The menu is short but has something for everyone. The cocktail list is fun to read & has twists on the average recipe. And the cheese menu...Any place that has a separate cheese & charcuterie menu is a place for me! I ordered the sirloin with potatoes au gratin & asparagus. Each was cooked to perfection. The steak was crisp on the outside, perfectly pink on the inside, and very juicy. My only complaint is that the potatoes & steak could have used a touch more salt & pepper. My friend had the gnocchi (potato) & it was delicious. I think a touch of grated cheese on top would have been great.Special Features:
- MarliaveNimisDined on 9/20/2014I liked the ambience of the place but the noise level was so high that I had problems to hear our waitress. Food and drinks were good.Special Features:
- great place if you can find it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014A hidden neighborhood spot, a but tough to find but with it. The cocktail list is great and they keep an updated beer/wine selection fitting the tone of year. The view is MUCH better from upstairs, last trip was my first sitting at the ground floor and was a bit disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeahorseDined on 9/16/2014Lovely place to dine on the rooftop terrace in the evening. Nice food and ambience. Stairs would be a challenge for older diners. For everybody else, well worth the climb!Special Features:
- Great before a show/concertThomasDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I went Saturday night before the Jason Mraz concert at the Wang Theatre. The Marliave never disappoints.....both of our entree's were delicious and the oysters were a great starter. Also, cocktails were A+ as usual.Special Features:
- Nothing to write home about...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014We had made a reservation for dinner at Marliave following the reviews on TripAdvisor. We were promptly seated upon our arrival and the restaurant was rather busy. I had the chicken with risotto and my wife had the portobello mushroom sandwhich. She said the mushroom was tasty but the bun was like a "wonderbread bun". My chicken was OK -- nothing special. The risotto was slightly undercooked. While I understand that it's typical American restaurant tradition to serve vegetables "à la carte", but wouldn't it have been nice to have a few green beans on the plate? The staff was very helpful but the overall experience was not one that I would repeat.
- Great food, but tight table areaSnipsDined on 8/30/2014I was happy they extended their Dine Out Boston deal for this weekend. It was a great deal. The food was very good. I enjoyed eating the escargot and mushroom risotto. Service was excellent. My water glass was constantly filled. The only thing I didn't like was the area where 2 top tables was situated. There were 5 tables all in the corner. I felt the tables were too close to one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazinggsgdmdDined on 8/29/2014Great experience and amazing food. Waitress was great and super attentive. Great pick for Dine Out Boston week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I can say is wowbrowneyedoptimistDined on 8/28/2014Excellent food and drink selection. Or server was fabulous; overall a great experience. Was a bit too noisy but that was die to patrons outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordered the wrong thingBlizzard62Dined on 8/28/2014I ordered the Steak Frites and I knew I shouldn't have but I was jonesing for fries. The steak was pretty tough and had a strange flavor. Great waiter, nice bread and olive oil to munch on. I had Henry's Soup as an appetizer, it was the best part of the meal. My friend had the escargot and he said they were very salty. Overall, it was an okay lunch but I wouldn't rush back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Marliave'sbostonmargiDined on 8/28/2014One of my favorite restaurants that I return to often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ups and downsTedODined on 8/28/2014It is best to enterpret the menu descriptions literally, and not make assumptions. For example, The onion soup with gruyere cheese and "short rib" should not have been assumed to be a French style onion soup gratinee. It was a very flavorful (yet very fatty) beef stew without vegetables and with melted cheese on top (making for an extremely fatty dish). The Sunday Soup described as pasta with tomato sauce with beef, pork & veal was not a Bolognese sauce. It had stewed tomatoes with big chunks of the meat (which all tasted like short rib meat. On the other hand the beet salad and the ravioli with tomato and basil sauce were excellent. The skirt steak was good, but its fries were just ok.Special Features:
- Cocktails were averagebostonDined on 8/27/2014We got a cosmo and a mojito. With regards to the cosmo, it tasted fine but it only filled 3/4 of the glass. A pet peeve of mine is paying for a drink that doesn't fill the glass. The mojito was terrible. The taste was sour with lime and no taste of mint. The mint was not fresh. Very disappointing. The food was great but the drinks affected the dining experience.Special Features:
- Best RecommendationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014A friend of mine recommended this place for Restaurant Week. I went with my bf and another couple. We all loved it. The food was great- we were all stuffed and happy (including the two guys who are NFL linebacker size)! The truffle mac and cheese comes in your own individual covered ramekin. The beef wellington is delicious but if you don't like medium rare- do not get. I was told the steak frites and lamb gnocchi were also good. The chocolate cake is a molten lava cake and is amazing. The pudding had cake frosting on top- good but very rich. The cocktails were also amazing- hope you like gin! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014Great overall, very cool place Great overall, very cool place Great overall, very cool placeSpecial Features:
- Stay AwayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014Just got back from an 88th birthday celebration lunch. Walked in to an odd smell at the front of the house, but that was actually the bar area so we'll let that pass. My drink lacked an adequate amount of alcohol, the waitress lacked personality, and the shrimp scampi lacked any seasoning or taste at all, and that includes the most important ingredient...garlic! The shrimp swam in a pool of red water. I ate 2 and dumped 3. The 3 left over were whisked away and I was never asked if I wanted to take them with me. The butterscotch pudding was very good. Not to mention, even though it was stated this was an birthday celebration in the reservation, no one even said happy birthday to my 88 year old Mother-In-Law.
- MacCtlevDined on 8/24/2014Like the Mac and chesse a lot. The overall dinning exp is pretty good but parking is hard to come by sometimes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great wait staff.SallyDined on 8/23/2014Food was good. We were there during restaurant week and they offered their three courses from the regular menu at a set price. We thought that was a very good deal. I would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining in BostonFoodieDined on 8/22/2014Close to the Omni Parker and in the heart of Boston, Marliave was a wonderful dining experience with a great staff. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Drink menu and Delicious FoodnicenightoutDined on 8/22/2014We had a great experience at Marliave! We took advantage of the "Restaurant Week" or "Dine Out Boston" deal. Most places offer a limited menu but we had so many options it was tough to choose. The French Onion Soup and Mac n' Cheese apps were our favorite, but everything far exceeded our expectations.Special Features:
- Expectations higher than realityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014We went to Marliave for Restaurant Week, which always makes it challenging to know whether the experience is 'typical' or not. The menu was fantastic and offered lots of options, but unfortunately the food didn't match up to the promise. My friend started with Onion Soup and found it much too salty; I started with the Carpaccio and found it the fattiest I've ever had. Our main courses were disappointing as well - I had the Beef Wellington, which was fine but not great (I've actually made it better myself). The apps were served in a timely manner, but a lot of time elapsed before we got our main course. The waitress apologized and explained that the kitchen was backed up, but telling us this earlier would have been appreciated.Special Features:
- Marliave82114adventurerDined on 8/21/2014Went for Dine Out Boston. Appreciate that there are MANY options to choose from on the promotional menu and portions were generous. Food was fantastic and there was a vibrant crowd. Service was a bit slow that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for restaurant week Aug 2014georgeDined on 8/18/2014Although it is restaurant week, the menu offered was almost exactly the same as the regular menu. Quite a selection and very good. We had the beef carpaccio and the mussels as appetizers. The beef dish was a bit bland but the mussels were tasty. Our mains were the trout with spinach (sublime) and the beef wellington. The beef was delicious - perfectly cooked. My only complaint was the lack of any vegetables. (ON the regular menu, they are served and charged for separately) Dessert was the warm chocolate cake with icecream (it was a huge serving) and the cheese course. The cake was very chocolately and was perfect with the ice cream. The cheese course was fine. I particularly liked the fig jam. We plan to go back again.Special Features:
- Amazing made from scratchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014Not many people,never mind restaurants make their food from scratch so I was extremely pleasant when I got the Shrimp Scampi and the Linguine was made from scratch. As an italian Mom with an history of making my own pasta and ravioli's, i must say it was amazing! The icecream on the Brownie Sundae was a perfect way to end the lunch! Also made from scratch!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week ReviewDivine582Dined on 8/18/2014The menu was unusually extensive for Restaurant Week which was a plus. Service was great. Caesar salad, excellent. My shrimp Scampi was good but the shrimp were a tad over cooked. Everyone else enjoyed their entree's. The box of chocolate truffles on the dessert menu was a great idea. Had one and took the rest for later. The only drawback to dining at Marliave are the steep stairs everywhere!
- Wonderful service!!!MeggDined on 8/17/2014The service was detailed and amazing! The food was good I am just personally not a fan of the nontradtional French onion soup. Everything else was amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoity Hostesslike2eatDined on 8/16/2014We were seated at an uncomfortable, claustrophobic table. The restaurant was practically empty and the rude hostess told us all the other tables were reserved/requested. Finally a smart employee decided to move our table - once we were moved everything was wonderful. Food was spectacular, the service was pleasant and the ambience provided for pleasant lingering. The evening started out unpleasant, and could've been disasterous, especially because the restaurant never filled up, but at least one of their employees understood customer service!Special Features:
- Saturday Early DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Made a reservation and we arrived 15 minutes early. Not an issue and we were seated within 30 seconds of our arrival. Service was very good. Our waitress was very attentive and friendly and also the others who assisted us during our dinner treated us well. Food was very good. I had the Osso Bucco, it was flavorful, served hot and plenty to eat. My date had the Beef Wellington, which was also flavorful, served hot, but it did not come with a side or vegetable. We sat upstairs which was little bit nicer and brighter than the first floor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2014I dine at Marliave often and am never unhappy with the food or service. It is a great restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Dive with Old School CharmTommyDined on 8/9/2014I've been to Marliave several times now whether for dinner or just to have an after work cocktail. Most recently, my wife and I dined there with a few friends. We sat in one of the booths across from the downstairs bar. My Rye Manhattan was so excellent I ordered a second. I can never go back to regular maraschino cherries after experiencing the Luxardo style cherries Marliave uses. I enjoyed my pan roasted chicken under brick and also the bacon fat roasted brussels sprouts.Special Features:
- meh!zeroDined on 8/3/2014underwhelmed. mediocre food, not very knowledgeable service staff. over priced for the quality
- Marliave never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/2/2014The staff is really outstanding. The whole dinner was delicious. I recommend the cheese/charcuterie appetizer. The waiter will help you find exactly what you want from the extensive list. Same with the wine list. This was our first time getting ice cream. It did not disappoint. Ridiculous amounts of flavor.Special Features: