Marlene Mangia Bene
43 S. Broad Street
Woodbury, NJ 08096Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Marlene Mangia Bene
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.marlenemangiabene.com/
- Phone: 8568488488
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Dinner Tuesday through Sunday;
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm;
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Joe Polutro
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Delivery, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: On and Off-Premise Catering Available. Check http://www.marlenemangiabene.com/catering.html for details.
We make entertaining easy for you. Whether you are hosting a holiday party, business gathering or luncheon, Marlene Mangia Bene will make your event special. Our professional staff will work tirelessly to make sure your affair is one to remember by handling every detail from set-up to clean-up.
- Private Party Facilities: Let Marlene Mangia Bene host your next business or family affair in our post dining area. Great atmosphere and menus for Birthdays, Rehearsal Dinners, Showers, Bar & Bat Mitzvahs, Christenings, and Communions.
- Private Party Contact: Frank Filipek, Jr. 8568488488
- Special Events: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. All you can eat Massels or Clams with Linguine Nights. $16.95 Mussels & Linguine or $18.95 Clams or Linguine. Choose Red or White Sauce. House Salad and Garlic Bread included.
A word from Marlene Mangia Bene
Marlene Mangia Bene is a modern Italian restaurant in downtown Woodbury that is owned and operated by husband and wife, Christopher & Maria Fasulo, and longtime friend, Frank Filipek, Jr. The restaurant is a collaboration of their taste, style, creativity and love for family, friends and food. While the restaurant's décor and menu celebrate family traditions, the name is a tribute to Maria's mom, Marlene. Marlene passed away from brain cancer three years ago but many of her "mangia bene" (good eats) will live on in the menu offerings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marlene Mangia Bene reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (5)special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (5)romantic (4)fit for foodies (3)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Never disappoints.EricapayneDined on 6/28/2014The new summer menu is amazing, you must try it!! My favorite is the watermelon and arugula salad!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a incredible MealOverthetopDined on 6/11/2014Each selection for our dinner party was beyond outstanding. It has become my favorite restaurant. I used to go to Philly for great food but no more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FAB FindSashaVIPDined on 6/7/2014Tried this place on a friend's suggestion....and we can't stop coming back. Have had Chris and Kacey (sorry if I spelled that wrong) as our servers and both were outstanding. I love that every time we have walked in the manager is always engaged with the clients and making rounds at the tables. The food it amazing and always consistent. I always recommend this place to anyone looking for somewhere different to try. Now that it is summer time and lots of people are down the shore, it's a bit easier to make last minute reservations....so if you are looking for somewhere new to try, TRY HERE!Special Features:
- The following 244 reviews are from the Marlene Mangia Bene reviews archive.
- MomsDined on 5/31/2014My husband, my brother-in-law and myself ate at this restaurant for the first time this weekend and we really enjoyed the food! The mussels appetizer was absolutely delicous, Caesar salad was fress and we all enjoyed our entrees. Peaches and cream cello was a plesant ending to our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as always.EricapayneDined on 5/31/2014My husband and I both tried a new dish and it was amazing as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!!!RICHDined on 5/30/2014Brought friends who had never been here. They loved it. As usual the food and service was excellent. the Mussels and clams appetizer was excellent, as was the Chllean Sea Bass. Recommend for fine night of dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2014The seasonal cello's (watermelon, blueberry, strawberry cream, etc.) after outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingdelvecDined on 5/17/2014Love this restaurant. We Bring everyone there. Delicious food and plenty of it.Special Features:
- Woodbury Not HaddonfieldLoveFoodDined on 5/17/2014The service was excellent and the staff was friendly. Bread with small amount of bruchetta & grated cheese provided. Not a big fan of Ala Carte. Salads & Appetizers cost between $8 & 12. ($8 for Caesar Salad). Scallops Risotto had a nice flavor, but the rice was still crunchy. Salad, Entrée & Dessert -- $50 a person including tip. Pricey for the location.Special Features:
- The only place to go in WoodburyUsedtogo2phillyDined on 5/17/2014If you know the area you know Woodbury. That being said go to this restaurant. We left our toddler to go out for a close anniversary dinner after last minute attempts at Saturday reservations. No dice. We got 7pm reservations at Marelene. The food was great and the service was welcoming like they knew us. The maître de walked the room and spoke to tables with a warm charm. We had the veal meatball app and were impressed. Presentation and quality were excellent. The entrees were truffle pasta and a veal with broccoli rave dish. Both were great. We stayed for desert because we enjoyed everything else so much. Normally we skip. Definitely plan on going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFUL NEW FINDFoodloverVIPDined on 5/16/2014Had dinner Friday night with another couple. Actually came upon this restaurant by accident but so happy that we did. The food was absolutely delicious. My recommendation would be the veal cutlet with the very sharp provolone and roasted peppers. WONDERFUL! Prices were relatively reasonable except I think the salads (for the portions served) could be a little less expensive but other than that it was great. Make sure you save room for the salted caramel cake. WOW!!! AND they served a complimentary chocolate strawberry cello that there are no words for. That's how good it was. Kudos to the owner and chef. We will cetainly be back!!Special Features:
- Wonderful everytime!EricapayneDined on 5/4/2014I had the Sunday Italian dinner and it was delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeKormanResidentialDined on 5/2/2014I love this place. It is such a great neighborhood gem. Wish there were more like this in Woodbury.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three for threenostrangertoaknifeandforkDined on 4/26/2014So far, my husband and I have celebrated my Mother's 85th birthday, our 30th wedding anniversary and more recently, his retirement, at Marlene's. Staff and owner are always accommodating, pay great attention to detail and made us feel warmly welcome. But best of all is the food! I always try something new and specials are enticing. Scallops, risotto and leeks were rich, creamy and scallops had a nice sear. Everyone at our table of 9 raved about their meals. Complimentary limongello is a nice surprise. Last summer it was peach flavored, this time chocolate mint! Why drive to Philly or Collingswood when such good food is so close to home. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal ...BillVIPDined on 4/24/2014Never disappointed with the quality and creativity of the food or the wonderful service.Special Features:
- Dinner with "the girls"JenniferVIPDined on 4/12/2014First, let me say the food was absolutely perfect. That being said, I was not as happy with the service. Our server was slow. I am not sure if it was because there seemed to be only two in the room, or that I had my 12 year old step daughter and two of her friends which meant no bar bill from my table. Our appetizers were not brought until a few minutes before our salads. None of the plates were cleared until the dinner plates were brought out. We were not given refills on beverages until we asked for them. Dessert was not offered, just the check. I will go back with my husband to see if we have the same service and that is only because the food was so good. If the service is the same, I will not return a third time.Special Features:
- Local gem...average foodTiniqueDined on 4/12/2014Decided to stay local to support a small restaurant in our area. Happened upon Marlene in Open Table and based on the positive reviews selected and made reservations. The staff was all very well trained, good energy and fairly knowledgable about the menu choices. The overall meal was fair at best. I had soup, pasta fagioli. It appeared and tasted as if it came out of a can (saturated with broth, perfect carrots and very little pasta)--lacked rich flavor. For the main meal, I had linguini with seafood. Again, lacked flavor- it was a ok.Other items ordered at our table, boar with pasta--so so and steak. We are major foodies. Our typical local dining experience is top spots in Philadelphia. I would rate it next to Applebee's quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passing throughOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/9/2014On a cross country trip we needed to find a hotel and place to eat. We checked OT. It was the closest to where we were. In NJ it is safest to eat italian. Store front place. Just a few customers on a Wednesday night. We had salads, Cesar and house. They were good. Then I had the special of the day. Home made pasta with shrimp and a cashew pesto sauce. Delicious and garlicky. Loved it. My hubby had veal scallopini with provolone and spinach. Little disappointing that the cheese was not melted with the meat, but placed on it after the scallopini vas finished cooking. He liked it. We did not have desert but the selection was tempting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The shrimp and scallop appOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014The shrimp and scallop app was delicious but not enough. M husband's veal Italian was dry. Needed a sauce. My Chilean sea bass was delicious. To expensive won't come for a while. If it was a little cheaper we would come more often.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2014Love this restaurant. Have been here numerous times, and always have a great meal. The service is wonderful.Special Features:
- Been her before, enjoyed it, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/30/2014Disappointed this reservation, in the food, apps and entrees. Calamari was over cooked, small portion, Italian roll small portion but very tasty, entrees 3 of them, all different pasta dishes, all under cooked, and lacked flavor. A very large party was there when we got there, another one pouring in as we finished up, maybe thats the reason the food was fair at best. We will give it another try, previous meals have been very good.
- ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!ColknowlesDined on 3/29/2014OUR EXPERIENCES AT MARLENE ARE AMAZING!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE FRANK AND THE STAFF. THE FOOD IS OUT OF THIS WORLD ! FIVE STARS TO THE CHEF!!!! I WILL RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE I KNOW AND WILL CONTINUE TO RETURN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindAwesomeDined on 3/23/2014I was looking for a place to eat that was local for me. Marlene Mangia Bene was awesome. Pasta was homemade the desserts are made in house. The staff was wonderful. Atmosphere is quaint and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a great little restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/23/2014This is a great little restaurant. This was our first time here for dinner. The menu is unique, not your traditional Italian fare. Our entire table was more than satisfied with our meals. We will definitely return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014We were pleasantly surprised at how good the food was and the service as well. will defenitly be going back.Special Features:
- Time fliesOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/20/2014It a wonderful restaurant to eat with your girl friends , feels as though you have your personal chef , warm cozy and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We visited Marlene MangiasuprcpaDined on 3/18/2014We visited Marlene Mangia Bene during South Jersey Restaurant Week. It was a fixed price menu at $35 for a 4-course meal. What a meal it was! The house was packed and rather noisy with several large groups in the room, but everyone was having a great time and the food was delicious. My skirt steak was melt-in-your-mouth tender and cooked medium-rare perfect, and the veal and ricotta meatball appetizer was not only different but quite tasty. Although I forgot to bring my bottle of wine, MMB has a short wine list that you can buy by the bottle (reasonably priced). My wife loved the eggplant tapenade that came with the bread, and said her grilled salmon was excellent. We will definitely return to MMB with some friends next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SJ Hot Chefs Restaurant WeekReneDagDined on 3/18/2014Happy we selected this restaurant for SJ Hot Chefs Spring Restaurant Week. I highly recommend trying this restaurant. The food was amazing. Service was excellent and it was all together a great evening. We did not feel rushed nor were we waiting for the food to be served....perfect !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!sellettimDined on 3/16/2014We are regulars, and this time we brought family that had not previously been to the restaurant. The food and service was great as always! We will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Restaurant WeekBillVIPDined on 3/16/2014Went with a large group for Spring Restaurant Week. Not one complaint in the bunch. Everythigng was outstanding from Appetizers to Dessert. Everyone said they will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a convenient restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014This is a convenient restaurant for Gloucester County residents. If willing to go early, I can usually get a reservation without planning weeks ahead! Always great to enjoy something far better than what I would have cooked at home!!Special Features:
- AMAZING, go now :)KcrowvbDined on 3/15/2014It was the 4 courses for $35 Restaurant Week. My honey got the risotto fritti for the first course and I chose the Italian Sausage with Broccoli Rabe, beans, and roasted peppers. For the second course, my husband chose the Caesar salad while I sampled the tomato basil soup (I'm a gluten free eater). For my third course, I got the gnocchi dish but subbed for gluten free pasta... what a winning combination! Pancetta, kalamata olives, sun-dried tomatoes, white wine butter sauce... yum! My husband tried the chicken scarpariello and enjoyed it too. We took our dessert to go, which was a decadent flourless chocolate tort. Our server Chris was obviously very busy but never skipped a beat. He was attentive and personable. A+ EXPERIENCE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all around!SandiDined on 3/14/2014Enjoyed the option of the restaurant week menu to try various options! Everything was deeelicious! Looking forward to returning soon...Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014Very friendly atmosphere ....Service is good.....Food is deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoy dining at thisPattiDined on 3/8/2014Really enjoy dining at this restaurant. Food is always exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our group had a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014Our group had a wonderful experience, food was excellent and service very good. Will keep going back and tell all my friends of this hidden spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsVinnieDined on 3/1/2014We eat at Marlene Mangia Bene frequently - every 6 -8 weeks at a minimum, and have never once had a bad meal there. Frank on the front desk is a gem, and the waitstaff are all excellent. The specials are always intriguing, and the menu is freshened often enough to keep things interesting. Our personal favorite is the PEI mussels with white sauce. Ask for extra bread to mop up the sauce! This time the wild boar pasta was excellent - just different enough but good for a first timer trying game. Diver scallops with risotto - yummy. And every time we are always treated to the "flavor ot the day" limoncello. A lovely end to a lovely dinner. Going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OasisJWoodVIPDined on 2/28/2014This restaurant is an oasis on a street barren of nightly activity. It seems to anchor what seems a desolate downtown. However, it is safe, the staff friendly, and the food excellent. We had a wild boar Bolognese, and pasta with broccoli rabe and sausage. All outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strawberry lemonchellohahillDined on 2/27/2014Everything was superb. We enjoyed ourselves immensely and were so pleased at all aspects. We will absolutely be returning and especially looking forward to Restaurant week!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were all very excited todianamDined on 2/23/2014We were all very excited to try this restaurant, especially since it had such good ratings on all the web sites we read. The decor was lovely and the server was just great. Appetizers were Good. Kind of standard. Cesar salad was really good. But, the meat and chicken entrees were a bit disappointing. It's as if they had the potential to be good but ended up significantly overcooked and dry. The pasta sides were very good and the dessert was fantastic. So it seems that we may have just hit a rough spot. I certainly hope that it, because the restaurant was just what we would have wanted. A nice neighborhood spot, fair pricing, nice portions and great service.Special Features: