3619 Balboa Street
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.marlabakery.com/
- Phone: 4157424379x
- Hours of Operation:
Cafe: T-F 7:00am-6pm, Sat-Su 8:00am-6pm
Lunch: T-F 11:30am-2:30pm
Sunday Supper: Su 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Amy Brown
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Marla Bakery
At Marla Bakery, we rejoice in the "do-it-ourselves" notion because it makes us feel good and it just tastes better that way.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Marla Bakery - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Marla Bakery reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (59)fit for foodies (53)great for lunch (28)notable wine list (19)great for brunch (15)special occasion (14)romantic (12)great for outdoor dining (9)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (7)good for groups (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great to have in the neighborhood!kvsfVIPDined on 10/15/2014This really is a charming little place, almost like going into grandma's kitchen. Limited menu, which really is nice after the pages and pages one has to read through in other places. So its easy to decide quickly what to eat. The wine list is exceptional and eclectic. Service is always with a smile. A few umbrellas added to the outdoor seating would add to the charm and help those who can't be in the sun any longer enjoy the garden setting. And maybe turned down the music a bit...Oh! Added bonus, don't leave without a loaf of their wonderful bread. Made right in front of you...Special Features:
- friends kitchen feel, great foodJuanpinDined on 10/9/2014I went with my wife for our anniversary. We've been to a lot of the high end restaurants in the Bay Area so I was looking for a special restaurant, I found it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in the Richmond!gogodidiVIPDined on 10/3/2014Finally we get a restaurant in the Richmond with the quality and service of a Mid City place. The menu is small but executed perfectly and the service is friendly and knowledgeable. And if you seek a varied and exciting wine list, this is the place. Small producers, exciting grapes and very reasonable prices. Don't wait to go.Special Features:
- Nice findSabuDined on 9/27/2014Went for dinner. This place is a cafe and bakery during the day. Bright lights, open kitchen. The food was excellent- no bells and whistles, just very well prepared. The starters were a bit small and pricey. The main course made up for it. Would like to see more side dishes on the menu and an expanded beer list. Overall a good dining experience.Special Features:
- One of SF's Best RestaurantsRickBVIPDined on 9/26/2014This was our 1st time to Marla and I'm disappointed we hadn't come in sooner. I've tried their baked goods, which are AMAZING (Especially the Crumb Cake), but our dinner was outstanding. Had the NY Steak (usually I'm a Rib-Eye Man) and asked for it rare. It came so beautifully tender and tasty, I almost cried, really. Paired with a simple, but elegant, red pepper sauce that accentuated the meat nicely. Also came with a potato gratin that transported me back to one of my favorite restaurant experiences in Paris, Michel Rostang's Le Bistrot d'À Côté Flaubert . My wife's pork chop was just as delicious as my steak. We both finished with the bread pudding (one of the best) and a few house-made sorbets. The wait-staff is attentive and gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could improvefoodismylifeDined on 9/12/2014This was my second visit to Marla's. This time the food wasn't as good as the first time. I had the seafood stew, and although there was a large amount of fish and shell fish, the sauce was overly salted to my taste. Also purchased a loaf of their rye bread and was very disappointed in that it never tasted like rye bread and was too dense and dry. I do enjoy their scones, gallets and savory pastries. I will definitely go back, but hope to have as good an experience as the first time.Special Features:
- Great new find!jlchaoDined on 9/12/2014Our table of 6 women loved this bakery for lunch. Wonderful bread, delicious sandwiches, beautiful baked goods. Lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedkvsfVIPDined on 9/10/2014After having an exceptional dinner, We went for lunch. The bread was fabulous. The corn soup a little too watery and airy. And the sandwiches too gooey to eat without a fork and night. But they are so nice and we loved dinner there, we will try againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibly deliciouskvsfVIPDined on 9/6/2014I live in the neighborhood and took a chance based on the reviews for a last minute out of town guest who is a definite foodie. We were really stunned by the incredibly delicious and creative food ad well as gracious service. I will definitely be back as it is a walkable place for us to eat and enjoy some great wine selections.Special Features:
- susiekVIPDined on 8/30/2014I love how they keep updating the menu at Marla--each time I go the dinner menu is completely different, and even similar dishes get a new twist. It makes me want to keep returning to try all that they have to offer! The desserts are a definite must (especially the spice cake).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and a lovely locationsusiekVIPDined on 8/21/2014My second trip to Marla for dinner was even better than my first: the food was outstanding from start to finish, and the service is warm, friendly, and with the appropriate amount of attention. They clearly care both about the food and providing a good experience for the customers. We had the duck croquetas, which were light, savory, crispy and creamy all at once. Another standout was the corn and rice cake with peppers and an egg. It was homey and delicious, and reminding us that sometimes the simplest preparations are the best. The desserts were also fantastic, as to be expected. I'm thrilled to have this restaurant in my neighborhood and can't wait to keep checking out their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of the Outer RichmondAthenaDined on 8/17/2014I am so happy to finally have a high end dining experience in my neighborhood. I have been to two Sunday Suppers and both have been such fun and special communal dining experiences. It would be hard to find better food anywhere in town and the wines are quite good as well. The staff was friendly and on top of it without being in your way. The only down side is it is quite noisy when filled with 24 people at one long table. I am guessing that the noise level might not be so bad at there regular dinners, Thursday-Saturday, where people sit at separated tables and don't eat all at the same time. Even though Marla Bakery is in the Outer Richmond, it will quickly become a destination restaurant. But if you come for Sunday Supper, come hungry.Special Features:
- Tasty, well-prepared, friendlysfmotherVIPDined on 8/16/2014Well chosen and well prepared items at all three courses, welcoming atmosphere, attentive service. Calimari appetizer and risotto were perfect. Only flaw--we had to prompt the waitress for the 3rd party's entree. Staff still learning but food already accomplished. Lovely environment with the bakery setting and high ceilings. With a little more experience this restaurant will be a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyLuv2eatDined on 8/6/2014This is the 2nd establishment for the owners of Marla's Bakery and they know a thing or 2 about bread. I had the pork sandwich and it was one of the best I ever had. Fresh ingredients and the bread was just baked. Service was attentive but not in your face. Clean and well lighted place. A gem for the avenues neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something special happening hereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/1/2014Food: every component of every dish was excellent-- and made on-site. Bread platter, tomato gazpacho, artichoke salad were wonderful in unexpected ways. Steak was perfectly seasoned and complemented with grain and vegetable that added additional dimension. Squash blossoms delicate, also great balance on plate. Dessert- butter cake amazing. House made caramel ice cream. Drinks- even the syrups for drinks are made here Service- attentive. Constantly changing menu. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outer Richmond WinnereatsfDined on 7/22/2014No only is the food great, but we finally have a bread bakery in the neighborhood so we don't have to go far for great fresh bread to take home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as the hype!susiekVIPDined on 7/19/2014I tried the new bakery/restaurant Marla for dinner and it was as good as promised! The only slight miss was a squid appetizer that didn't quite gel (although was still tasty). The tomato salad appetizer was perfect, with ripe, flavorful tomatoes, cheese, and breadcrumbs. Both of our main courses--the sand dabs and the chicken--were perfect. The sand dabs were light, even with the buttery sauce, and expertly prepared. The chicken, with accompanying vegetables, was also really flavorful and just the right amount. The dessert was perhaps my favorite part: the buckwheat and brown butter cake (not surprisingly, as they are also a bakery). I can't wait to return for more. Service was fantastic, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bakery does dinnerLindsayofSFDined on 7/18/2014Hit Marla for my baker-husband's birthday. Was a bit hesitant as they don't have a menu posted online yet, but the quirkiness of a bakery doing dinner made it a worthwhile risk. Everything from the bread and butter appetizer to the local wines to the melted mushroom risotto, and those mushrooms were melted, was fantastic. Only a few menu items to choose from, so we ordered everything - the meat, fish and mentioned risotto was impeccable. The only weird thing was the first available open table reservation was at 915, but when we arrived the place was completely empty. I'd call if you're looking for another time not listed here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptionally good foodonegirlwholikesfoodDined on 7/18/2014It's clear that a lot of love goes into everything at Marla Bakery. This is matched by the care, skill and knowledge that goes into the preparation of every dish from start to finish. The staff are friendly and professional. We had a wonderful evening, sharing delicious food and look forward to going again.Special Features:
- Amazing Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/17/2014The food was incredible! We were blown away by each dish that we ordered - starting with the bread, the cultured butter and the marvelous pickles. Next was a delicate - to die for - frito misto- cooked to perfection, a lovely green salad, and then a main dish of braised short ribs that melted in your mouth, plus a potato and leek gratin - with stupendous taste. We finished with an amazing dessert of dark plum slices, caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream surrounding a special cake. Everything was a delight: fresh, light and delicious. We had a wonderful evening and wonderful food. The staff were lovely, and the dining room pleasant and down to earth. We will be back soon- this is a very special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Addition to Outer Richmond!foxydinersDined on 7/5/2014We have been waiting for them to open! Wonderful bakery---sweet and savory. Finally a good bagel in SF! Thoughtful, delicious food. Fabulous staff! Nice ascetic, with beautiful dishes, glasses and cutlery....we went to their first offered Saturday night dinner and it seemed as if they had been in business forever. Impeccable service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2L2goDined on 7/3/2014The quinoa pilaf, the chicken sandwich, the savory and sweet scones were all to die for. The best we very had. The servers were very attentive and friendly. We would definitely return to Marla Bakery.Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the Marla Bakery reviews archive.