676 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marktrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2127273314
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, European, Belgian
- Executive Chef: Neville Stoddart, Jr.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant is available for buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Holben 2127273314
A word from Markt
Markt is an authentic Belgian brasserie offering traditional fare including mussels and frites, carbonnade, lobster, steak-frites, an extensive raw bar...plus waffles and plenty of Belgian chocolate! An antique marble and zinc bar features 32 Belgian brews and a tasty assortment of cocktails. Outdoor seats provide the perfect spot for enjoying it all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Markt reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)great for brunch (13)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (12)good for groups (11)great for outdoor dining (10)vibrant bar scene (8)romantic (3)special occasion (3)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- So accommodating!PickyVIPDined on 10/7/2014The hostess and the server were both great, helping me to get my food promptly so k could make a flight. The mussels were yummy and plentiful. I cannot wait to go back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/25/2014The warm chocolate tart was delicious. We split it and it was devoured long before it had a chance to reach room temp.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre servicelovegoodfoodDined on 9/23/2014Great French onion soup. I ate here twice in the last week and the food is wonderful but our waiter and waitress services could be better. We sat outside the first time and our waiter was anxious to get our order and after that, he didn't seem to care. We weren't demanding or anything but after I food arrived, he didn't check if we needed anything. We had to get his attention when he walked by. Our waitress on the second visit didn't bring bread to the table and didn't seem concerned that we did not get our meal after some time. The tables which came after we ordered were served their main meals before ours.Special Features:
- Awesome find!TravelnutDined on 9/14/2014Found this place via openable. Amazing food. Great atmosphere. Excellent selection of wines and beer/ales. Prices fair. Definitely recommending to friends to try out Belgium cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarktATLGALDined on 9/14/2014Friendly neighborhood feel. Great place for a casual dinner with customers. We could talk without yelling - what a joy. Our waiter was patient, and gave us great guidance for food and wine. The mussels were heavenly! Several tried the chicken and said it was amazing as well. Also the scallops got a gold star. Went back the next night with a friend and had the seafood stew. Wish I could go back again tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only good for beerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/4/2014Bad burger, tasteless moules and poor service. Disappointing.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/1/2014The specialty is mussels and ours were terrible. Both the mussels and the provencal sauce were terribly overcooked and either mushy or rubbery.
- In Flatiron area? Go.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014Totally friendly, great service, and very good food. A little noisy but consistent and a great space. A really good choice in an area without a lot of great restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always WonderfulLizAndIgorDined on 8/28/2014I've been here a few times, once for brunch and several times for dinner, and it's always been a lovely experience. The staff is friendly and knowledgable when asked for recommendations, and the food is rich and delicious.Special Features:
- Classic, true Belgian dishesBertVVIPDined on 8/28/2014Love this place with it's quintessential Belgian dishes, proper Belgian fries (can everyone learn once and for all that French fries are actually Belgian - Belgium has a 40% French speaking population - Europeans know this, even the French :)) and great food all together. My fav is the carbonade and the fish stew/soupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid Brunchsas140VIPDined on 8/16/2014The overpriced brunch options are about the same as you could make yourself. $9 for a single waffle. $13 for a very basic croque madame that looked like something a suburban soccer mom made. We actually wanted the seafood items, which weren't available until 12PM. My mistake for coming in at 11AM, but I just expected more from the brunch menu based on the prices.
- SolidMissMollyDined on 8/8/2014We made a last-minute reservation here on a Friday; it wasn't exactly packed, but it's a quieter sort of place anyway. My companion had the steak-wrapped meatballs, which were absolutely delicious. I had the mussels with garlic and cream and they were ok, but nothing to write home about. A disappointing number of them didn't open. Frites were also fine, but nothing special. Considering mussels and frites are a Belgian specialty, I expected more. The truffle mac and cheese was delightful. Service was excellent; our waiter never missed a beat and he was very attentive without being overbearing. Prices were reasonable for the area, too. Tl;dr - Decent food, great service, solid place to eat but skip the mussels.Special Features:
- Belgian FindNyponyVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was my second time at this restaurant and it did not disappoint. The most amazing meatballs wrapped in steak and gravy with French fries. Love the energy of this restaurant and staff could not be nicer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait service ruined a good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/6/2014My OT reservation initially yielded a terrible table next to the service station. Then we were moved, and ordered; and the food was good; but the waiter, genial at first, kept trying to clear. My friend and I were talking, and I kept repeating I'm still eating. We felt harassed: it was 10, the restaurant was empty but open; and we couldn't be left in peace to enjoy our meal. Then the waiter was unavailable; after getting the check, we couldn't even pay: we were waving our arms to get his attention. Finally we had to go to the bar to pay. I'd been to Markt before but on a Wednesday night at 8 in Chelsea I had my pick of places. Bye Markt - you lost your cachet when you moved from the Meatpacking District, and now you've lost two customers.
- Markt is a "find"notez2impressDined on 8/5/2014The distinctive menu redefines "comfort food" giving it a creative touch with it Belgian beers, mussels and delightful but not pretentious choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kkkkkVIPDined on 8/3/2014Great mussels and fries - and they come served many ways!Special Features:
- Great find!thebravesVIPDined on 7/27/2014Love this neighborhood find but the service could be much better and more client centeredSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible food and drinksJasonVIPDined on 7/25/2014Probably the worst meal we have had in Chelsea in a while. Crushed salt all over the dishes they were inedible. Service was good but will not be going back.
- better choicesRobertRyansonDined on 7/24/2014we went for breakfast. the only thing that makes this a Belgian cafe is that they translated the menu items into french and dutch. American style pancakes, omelettes, I mean really? Yes, they had waffles which are Belgian/Dutch but they are also American. Tea was a choice of bags and a tiny pot of hot water that you had to ask for refills of. There weren't that many people here for breakfast (first clue) and it still took a really long time for the food to come out (we had to ask where our food was). Yes, they have some Belgian beers but so do many other cafes in NYC. The prices were high for what you get and the food just wasn't even that good. My eggs Benedict were just "OK". I would not go back.
- Great as alwaysMJM66VIPDined on 7/11/2014I take a friend here for his birthday every year for the last six years it is his favorite place he dreams of the Botage boulabase never had a bad dish well someone at our table got the tuna was a little way overdone the waiter was lovely he agreed and brought it back and the new dish was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for an after-work meetupnycfoodloverVIPDined on 7/7/2014I've been to Markt before and always enjoy myself because I LOVE mussels!! I happened to get fish this time since I was with a few people that couldn't order shellfish, but I still had a delicious meal. Great ambience - clean, energetic, but not too loud to have a conversation, food came out fast and was hot. They open the doors and put tables outside in the Summer but it was so hot the other night, I was happy to sit inside. They must have had the air on though, because it was comfortable even with the doors open. I had the cod, which was delicious. Flaky and tender in a great sauce. Mac n cheese was ordered, as were fries for the table. So yum! Markt is a favorite of mine, so of course, I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice brunch spot on a lovely daykatebDined on 7/5/2014We enjoyed our brunch here. The service was fair (three asks to get refills on water) but staff was friendly, service quick, food was good.Special Features:
- The following 582 reviews are from the Markt reviews archive.
- Stoemp!diningdivaDined on 6/22/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Chelsea. With a great selection of German/Belgium beers on tap and an equally impressive selection of bottles, I always find a new beer to enjoy. I have never been disappointed with the poached salmon, which is always cooked to perfection, and any dish that comes with a side of stoemp is worth your time. The buttery mashed potatoes, with lobster, are melt in your mouth! Good desserts, slightly different than your standard menu, and lean toward Belgium roots with waffle options as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garnalen KrokettenWessel010Dined on 6/9/2014I promised a colleague to take her to a restaurant serving Dutch cuisine, but unfortunately, the last restaurant serving Dutch food closed some time ago. So I settled for Belgian (geographically close, cuisine wise not really). Markt is right across the street from where I live, so it was an easy and good choice. The menu is Belgian, with a splash of US (hamburgers aren't really Belgian). I can especially recommend the "Garnalen Kroketten"! Very yummy! With deep fried "look" to really complete! Just one thing: why only 2 per serving..........? The rest of the menu looks good. We both had "Mosselen met Frietjes".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great musselsAlwayshonestfoodieVIPDined on 5/27/2014Perfect place for wine and Mussels, nice atmosphere and good service. Especially nice with good weather to people watch on the patio.Special Features:
- SlippingGfbyrneDined on 5/26/2014Service has always been iffy here but the in attentive waitstaff continues to decline. I've always enjoyed the mussels but this time they were bland, rubbery and rather tasteless. I sincerely hope things pick up or I won't be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad NightClassicVIPDined on 5/18/2014They were definitely having a bad night. The service was really lackluster compared to normal. The food was also just okay. The mussels are usually very good. This time they were not.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2014Great mussels, endless selection of beer and excellent valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeDindb32Dined on 5/18/2014Makes you feel like you're in a cafe and Paris! Good selection of food for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Waitress ever.VeronicaDined on 5/11/2014On Sunday May 11th (Mother's day) we sat at the long middle table closest to the back area of the restaurant. Our waitress was the rudest server ever. She poured everyone water and managed to spill each pour all over the table and did not bother to clean it until we tracked her down and asked. She seemed very out of it as if she was hungover and did not want to be at work that day. Not one person wished our mothers a happy mother's day at the table either. We had to ask around to track our waitress so we could order drinks and food because she took forever.We love coming to this restaurant because we live in the area but were very disappointed to bring our friends there this time. This waitress should be fired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousphotogalVIPDined on 5/7/2014We went for a birthday lunch. Everyone enjoyed their food and it was very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abracadabra, everything vanishesJhc3VIPDined on 5/3/2014I have eaten at Markt twice, with both my dinners being quite good. The place has a good feel, on a busy, but not deafening corner. I like it a lot. The disappointment last time was that what remained of my wine and my coffee were quickly removed when I used the bathroom. The bus staff is much too aggressive at clearing tables, even taking into account that it was a Saturday night.Special Features:
- GeriSDined on 4/30/2014We had a reservation for our group of four this past Friday 4/30. Although we arrived a little earlier than our 8:00pm res. we were led to a table just outside the kitchen. Almost immediately servers started rushing through the swinging doors bumping into my spouses chair just about everytime! The hostess was accomodating and led us to the bar to wait as, according to her, a table was about to open up for us. Fortyfive minutes later we were seated :( No bartender to serve us as the hostess had to do double duty & make us drinks when she could. Needless to say a poor experience for all.Special Features:
- Loud and CrampedBMSempleDined on 4/26/2014typical Saturday afternoon brunch scene - very loud and very crowded. Service suffered for it - but food was good. A bit over-priced: Lobster Bisque for $12?!
- Great Brunch SpotFareedaDined on 4/26/2014Very attentive service, great menu selection that changes up old favorites, and not a rushed meal. A good vibe from the neighborhood and crowd, without being overly trendy or high-maintenance. Also made same-day reservations and there was no problem for a noon-2pm brunch!Special Features:
- Too NoisyHubbaDined on 4/24/2014We could not hear ourselves think. Much too noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!VeronicaDined on 4/13/2014The mussels and fries were amazing and the staff was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at best...SFNAVIPDined on 4/13/2014The food wasn't bad, but nothing to rave about. It wasn't great, it wasn't terrible. I'd say the same for our waitress. She wasn't blatantly rude, but we found her to be generally unattentive, and she seemed annoyed when we asked for anything that wasn't an additional order - i.e. salt, pepper, and ketchup - which should have come without asking with our eggs and fries.Special Features:
- Great location....perfectJJJJDined on 4/13/2014Great location....perfect for a family brunch...accommodating staff...nice ambience....food is perfect for what I was looking forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we has a great brunch, wonderfulRobWVIPDined on 4/6/2014we has a great brunch, wonderful food, slow service.Special Features: