676 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marktrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2127273314
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, European, Belgian
- Executive Chef: Neville Stoddart, Jr.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant is available for buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Holben 2127273314
A word from Markt
Markt is an authentic Belgian brasserie offering traditional fare including mussels and frites, carbonnade, lobster, steak-frites, an extensive raw bar...plus waffles and plenty of Belgian chocolate! An antique marble and zinc bar features 32 Belgian brews and a tasty assortment of cocktails. Outdoor seats provide the perfect spot for enjoying it all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Markt reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (27)great for lunch (16)great for brunch (16)great for outdoor dining (15)vibrant bar scene (11)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (9)romantic (6)special occasion (5)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Avoid Brunchsas140VIPDined on 8/16/2014The overpriced brunch options are about the same as you could make yourself. $9 for a single waffle. $13 for a very basic croque madame that looked like something a suburban soccer mom made. We actually wanted the seafood items, which weren't available until 12PM. My mistake for coming in at 11AM, but I just expected more from the brunch menu based on the prices.
- SolidMissMollyDined on 8/8/2014We made a last-minute reservation here on a Friday; it wasn't exactly packed, but it's a quieter sort of place anyway. My companion had the steak-wrapped meatballs, which were absolutely delicious. I had the mussels with garlic and cream and they were ok, but nothing to write home about. A disappointing number of them didn't open. Frites were also fine, but nothing special. Considering mussels and frites are a Belgian specialty, I expected more. The truffle mac and cheese was delightful. Service was excellent; our waiter never missed a beat and he was very attentive without being overbearing. Prices were reasonable for the area, too. Tl;dr - Decent food, great service, solid place to eat but skip the mussels.Special Features:
- Belgian FindNyponyVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was my second time at this restaurant and it did not disappoint. The most amazing meatballs wrapped in steak and gravy with French fries. Love the energy of this restaurant and staff could not be nicer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait service ruined a good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/6/2014My OT reservation initially yielded a terrible table next to the service station. Then we were moved, and ordered; and the food was good; but the waiter, genial at first, kept trying to clear. My friend and I were talking, and I kept repeating I'm still eating. We felt harassed: it was 10, the restaurant was empty but open; and we couldn't be left in peace to enjoy our meal. Then the waiter was unavailable; after getting the check, we couldn't even pay: we were waving our arms to get his attention. Finally we had to go to the bar to pay. I'd been to Markt before but on a Wednesday night at 8 in Chelsea I had my pick of places. Bye Markt - you lost your cachet when you moved from the Meatpacking District, and now you've lost two customers.
- kkkkkVIPDined on 8/3/2014Great mussels and fries - and they come served many ways!Special Features:
- Great find!thebravesVIPDined on 7/27/2014Love this neighborhood find but the service could be much better and more client centeredSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible food and drinksJasonVIPDined on 7/25/2014Probably the worst meal we have had in Chelsea in a while. Crushed salt all over the dishes they were inedible. Service was good but will not be going back.
- better choicesRobertRyansonDined on 7/24/2014we went for breakfast. the only thing that makes this a Belgian cafe is that they translated the menu items into french and dutch. American style pancakes, omelettes, I mean really? Yes, they had waffles which are Belgian/Dutch but they are also American. Tea was a choice of bags and a tiny pot of hot water that you had to ask for refills of. There weren't that many people here for breakfast (first clue) and it still took a really long time for the food to come out (we had to ask where our food was). Yes, they have some Belgian beers but so do many other cafes in NYC. The prices were high for what you get and the food just wasn't even that good. My eggs Benedict were just "OK". I would not go back.
- Great as alwaysMJM66VIPDined on 7/11/2014I take a friend here for his birthday every year for the last six years it is his favorite place he dreams of the Botage boulabase never had a bad dish well someone at our table got the tuna was a little way overdone the waiter was lovely he agreed and brought it back and the new dish was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for an after-work meetupnycfoodloverVIPDined on 7/7/2014I've been to Markt before and always enjoy myself because I LOVE mussels!! I happened to get fish this time since I was with a few people that couldn't order shellfish, but I still had a delicious meal. Great ambience - clean, energetic, but not too loud to have a conversation, food came out fast and was hot. They open the doors and put tables outside in the Summer but it was so hot the other night, I was happy to sit inside. They must have had the air on though, because it was comfortable even with the doors open. I had the cod, which was delicious. Flaky and tender in a great sauce. Mac n cheese was ordered, as were fries for the table. So yum! Markt is a favorite of mine, so of course, I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice brunch spot on a lovely daykatebDined on 7/5/2014We enjoyed our brunch here. The service was fair (three asks to get refills on water) but staff was friendly, service quick, food was good.Special Features:
- Stoemp!diningdivaDined on 6/22/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Chelsea. With a great selection of German/Belgium beers on tap and an equally impressive selection of bottles, I always find a new beer to enjoy. I have never been disappointed with the poached salmon, which is always cooked to perfection, and any dish that comes with a side of stoemp is worth your time. The buttery mashed potatoes, with lobster, are melt in your mouth! Good desserts, slightly different than your standard menu, and lean toward Belgium roots with waffle options as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garnalen KrokettenWessel010Dined on 6/9/2014I promised a colleague to take her to a restaurant serving Dutch cuisine, but unfortunately, the last restaurant serving Dutch food closed some time ago. So I settled for Belgian (geographically close, cuisine wise not really). Markt is right across the street from where I live, so it was an easy and good choice. The menu is Belgian, with a splash of US (hamburgers aren't really Belgian). I can especially recommend the "Garnalen Kroketten"! Very yummy! With deep fried "look" to really complete! Just one thing: why only 2 per serving..........? The rest of the menu looks good. We both had "Mosselen met Frietjes".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great musselsAlwayshonestfoodieVIPDined on 5/27/2014Perfect place for wine and Mussels, nice atmosphere and good service. Especially nice with good weather to people watch on the patio.Special Features:
- SlippingGfbyrneDined on 5/26/2014Service has always been iffy here but the in attentive waitstaff continues to decline. I've always enjoyed the mussels but this time they were bland, rubbery and rather tasteless. I sincerely hope things pick up or I won't be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad NightClassicVIPDined on 5/18/2014They were definitely having a bad night. The service was really lackluster compared to normal. The food was also just okay. The mussels are usually very good. This time they were not.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2014Great mussels, endless selection of beer and excellent valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeDindb32Dined on 5/18/2014Makes you feel like you're in a cafe and Paris! Good selection of food for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Waitress ever.VeronicaDined on 5/11/2014On Sunday May 11th (Mother's day) we sat at the long middle table closest to the back area of the restaurant. Our waitress was the rudest server ever. She poured everyone water and managed to spill each pour all over the table and did not bother to clean it until we tracked her down and asked. She seemed very out of it as if she was hungover and did not want to be at work that day. Not one person wished our mothers a happy mother's day at the table either. We had to ask around to track our waitress so we could order drinks and food because she took forever.We love coming to this restaurant because we live in the area but were very disappointed to bring our friends there this time. This waitress should be fired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousphotogalVIPDined on 5/7/2014We went for a birthday lunch. Everyone enjoyed their food and it was very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abracadabra, everything vanishesJhc3VIPDined on 5/3/2014I have eaten at Markt twice, with both my dinners being quite good. The place has a good feel, on a busy, but not deafening corner. I like it a lot. The disappointment last time was that what remained of my wine and my coffee were quickly removed when I used the bathroom. The bus staff is much too aggressive at clearing tables, even taking into account that it was a Saturday night.Special Features:
- The following 572 reviews are from the Markt reviews archive.
- GeriSDined on 4/30/2014We had a reservation for our group of four this past Friday 4/30. Although we arrived a little earlier than our 8:00pm res. we were led to a table just outside the kitchen. Almost immediately servers started rushing through the swinging doors bumping into my spouses chair just about everytime! The hostess was accomodating and led us to the bar to wait as, according to her, a table was about to open up for us. Fortyfive minutes later we were seated :( No bartender to serve us as the hostess had to do double duty & make us drinks when she could. Needless to say a poor experience for all.Special Features:
- Loud and CrampedBMSempleDined on 4/26/2014typical Saturday afternoon brunch scene - very loud and very crowded. Service suffered for it - but food was good. A bit over-priced: Lobster Bisque for $12?!
- Great Brunch SpotFareedaDined on 4/26/2014Very attentive service, great menu selection that changes up old favorites, and not a rushed meal. A good vibe from the neighborhood and crowd, without being overly trendy or high-maintenance. Also made same-day reservations and there was no problem for a noon-2pm brunch!Special Features:
- Too NoisyHubbaDined on 4/24/2014We could not hear ourselves think. Much too noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!VeronicaDined on 4/13/2014The mussels and fries were amazing and the staff was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at best...SFNAVIPDined on 4/13/2014The food wasn't bad, but nothing to rave about. It wasn't great, it wasn't terrible. I'd say the same for our waitress. She wasn't blatantly rude, but we found her to be generally unattentive, and she seemed annoyed when we asked for anything that wasn't an additional order - i.e. salt, pepper, and ketchup - which should have come without asking with our eggs and fries.Special Features:
- Great location....perfectJJJJDined on 4/13/2014Great location....perfect for a family brunch...accommodating staff...nice ambience....food is perfect for what I was looking forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we has a great brunch, wonderfulRobWVIPDined on 4/6/2014we has a great brunch, wonderful food, slow service.Special Features:
- Nice beer selectionFogoDined on 4/1/2014Good food and some of the best Belgium beers to pair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu was varied so somethinglovetoeatVIPDined on 3/30/2014The menu was varied so something for everyone. The food was all delicious and the waiters were hopping and on their toes even though it was very crowded. Would definitely consider going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super nightalanDined on 3/25/2014Table reservation was made, confirmed, and requested table given when arrived. Waiter Terry was great, attentive - food was fresh, tasty, and timely! All in all a great evening with my girl! thanks, AlanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place!AllanDined on 3/22/2014My most favorite restaurant always delivers. Service is fantastic, great selection of beers and the food is excellent. If you try it once, I am sure you'll return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedTerriBillDined on 3/21/2014I do not live in the area so I relied on OpenTable reviews to choose a restaurant. This restaurant had very good reviews so I decided to give it a try. I ordered Tuna and my husband order lobster. My tuna was ok but the tapenade was over powering and did not belong with the tuna. My husband’s lobster was grilled and tasted burnt. It seems everyone was ordering mussels so I guess that is the entree to order at this restaurant. The service was good and the waiter was very friendly.
- Good and comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2014Our food was very good and there is an impressive selection of beers. Markt is a comfortable place for food and conversation; service was also fine. We were a party of four, and we would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Belgian foodSaraDined on 3/8/2014I came here for my birthday dinner and enjoyed the whole experience. I started with the french onion soup, which was delicious. It was your standard french onion soup but had I believe what was bread crumbs on top of the melted cheese, which made each bite slightly crunchy and offset the softness of the bread in the soup. I then had the lobster in the pan, which came with julienned vegetables in a slightly creamy white wine sauce. The lobster was huge and I took more than half of it home. The best part of the meal, however, was the fries. WOW. They were crispy and just had the perfect texture. All of this topped off with a Kriek lambic (cherry beer) made for a great meal. Our waitress was great as well.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceVectronDined on 3/7/2014From the front of house to the table clearers, all the personnel at Markt were great. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gracious staffNadSDined on 2/28/2014Markt is a good spot for a simple lunch. The staff was nice and always carried a smile. We were not rushed into selecting something from the menu like most lunch places.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little too saltyMarkVIPDined on 2/17/2014And I like Salt. Had the special of Prawns and Risotto and ate about half...way too salty. In general I've had good food, wine and fun here though. Fun Bar scene, good Brunch, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very cute and pleasant placerootsradical111Dined on 2/8/2014Very cute and pleasant place to have brunch. They had an extensive menu so it made it really easy for everyone to find a dish they liked. It was a bit noisy when we got there (like all NYC restaurants around brunch time) but simmered down by 2:30. Overall a great experience and I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.